• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Discuss: Metallica with Michael Kamen - S&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himself

Saw it live at MSG. Sound was fucking terrible. Didn't really enjoy it. But I'm the kinda dude who thinks listening to anything past
Master of Puppets is a waste of time.

jbueno

Love the album, my favorites are definitely No Leaf Clover and One. Oh and the Battery intro. And Wherever I May Roam. It has been a while since I´ve listened to it though, perhaps I should give the DVD a listen.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
No Leaf Clover is pretty awesome. Back when the album was released I hoped that the next album would sound like it.

123rl

Seattle '89 is where it's at.

Awesome. First time I've heard this, thanks. That setlist!

01 - Blackened
02 - For Whom The Bell Tolls
03 - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
04 - Harvester Of Sorrow
05 - The Four Horsemen
06 - The Thing That Should Not Be
07 - Bass Solo
08 - Master Of Puppets
09 - Fade To Black
10 - Seek & Destroy
11 - And Justice for All
12 - One
13 - Creeping Death
14 - Guitar Solo
15 - Battery
16 - Last Caress
17 - Am I Evil?
18 - Whiplash
19 - Breadfan

tborsje

S&M would have been perfect if Orion was on the set list. Cliff really was a clever musician - the whole bridge to that song is amazing. 3 part guitar harmonies, lead bass, and that interplay between the guitars and bass which is almost like a counterpoint or something.

But yeah, S&M was great. Call Of Ktulu and No Leaf Clover are the highlights. Nothing Else Matters was also handled nicely.

SKINNER!

Banned
Seattle '89 is where it's at.

Now that was an incredible show. Feel that energy! Even the Cunning Stunts DVD had a little bit of it but you can tell it was slowly fading away. I'd still watch/pay for a Metallica show today but I know that the vibe they had back then is no more.

Also, some people have mentioned No Leaf Clover was written with the orchestra in mind. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think that's 100% correct. I always thought it and -Human were in some form from the Load sessions (though not completed). Thought that's what they said during the making of stuff. Have to check.

EDIT: I was remembering correctly. The making of, James says No Leaf Clover had been on tape for a couple of years at least.

I vaguely knew that the song wasn't recorded with the orchestra. I assumed that the band recorded it, finished it and then let the orchestra add their magic to it later. I wasn't under the impression that No Leaf Clover was created waaaaaay before the idea of S&M was even thought up.

S&M would have been perfect if Orion was on the set list. Cliff really was a clever musician - the whole bridge to that song is amazing. 3 part guitar harmonies, lead bass, and that interplay between the guitars and bass which is almost like a counterpoint or something.

Apart from that being Cliff's song and the rest of the guys not wanting Jason to go near it, I cannot see any other reason why that song wasn't included in S&M. It fits and might've been the best song on the setlist.

ascii42

Apart from that being Cliff's song and the rest of the guys not wanting Jason to go near it, I cannot see any other reason why that song wasn't included in S&M. It fits and might've been the best song on the setlist.

They had Call of Ktulu. They may have decided that it worked better with the orchestra and didn't want two instrumentals. Apparently The Unforgiven didn't work with the orchestra either.

They had Call of Ktulu. They may have decided that it worked better with the orchestra and didn't want two instrumentals. Apparently The Unforgiven didn't work with the orchestra either.

Yeah, it sucks that they didn't figure out Unforgiven. I imagine the verses were the problem, since obviously the chorus seems like it'd have been real easy.

I vaguely knew that the song wasn't recorded with the orchestra. I assumed that the band recorded it, finished it and then let the orchestra add their magic to it later. I wasn't under the impression that No Leaf Clover was created waaaaaay before the idea of S&M was even thought up.

To be clear, it wasn't 100% done. Sure it was just riffs with maybe some vocal melodies if it even ever got that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom