• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

let's see... Super Mario Brothers.. the greatest videogame oddity?

so what's the story on Mario and Luigi.. siblings. Yes.. we've established that.

But they're called

Mario Mario

Lugui Mario

WHAT THE.

Sein

Neo Member
I've actually been wondering about Mario lore lately because I've been playing Paper Mario 2. I'm not sure what is canonical and what is unofficial. It's generally accepted that Mario and Luigi are plumbers, but is that official? What about the claim that they're from Brooklyn?

Sein said:
I've actually been wondering about Mario lore lately because I've been playing Paper Mario 2. I'm not sure what is canonical and what is unofficial. It's generally accepted that Mario and Luigi are plumbers, but is that official? What about the claim that they're from Brooklyn?

Don't know about that. But Charles Martinet who voices Mario is from Brooklyn. (I think).

So.. what's the MARIO lore on their full names? What if Mario and Luigi are ever in bootcamp and they'll be called by their family name? Is Mario really Luigi's dad?

etiolate

Banned
What about the claim that they're from Brooklyn?

You know those thsoe Johnny Damon faces on lightposts you be seeing around town? Well let's just say sewerpipes make conveniant graffiti transportation for some italians.

hobbitx

Sein said:

Funny you'd bring that up because I remember on the Mario episode of Icons when Miyamoto brought up Donkey Kong he said Mario was actually a carpenter in the beginning. Notice how in Donkey Kong he has a hammer and not a plunger. I definitely think he's been a plumber ever since the Mario Bros. days though.

As for the name, I don't see what the big shock is, they are referred to as the "Mario Bros." so I'd figure it is their last name, just sounds a little weird for Mario, but there's alot of people with the same first and last name, like uh...........Sirhan Sirhan!

Stryder

You should all read Power-up, the chapter that Kobun Heat posted up in a thread here has a lot of info on how Mario came about.

edit : here is his thread.

bjork

LEND THE PRINCESS A HAND
DOWN IN MUSHROOM LAND
FOR THE ACTION WITH THE PLUMBERS
YOU'LL BE HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

:doo doo doo doo DO doo doo doo doo:

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Martinet lives in San Jose, buy the way... not that he'd have any bearing on Mario, but still...

... and as far as we can tell, Mario is some sort of permanent resident of the Mushroom Kingdom, and all the American "backstory" is disregarded by Miyamoto. See Yoshi's Island for details.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreenGiant said:
Don't know about that. But Charles Martinet who voices Mario is from Brooklyn. (I think).
I met him at an NOE event in London in 2001.
He's like, seven feet tall, super-gay and really, really intimidating. And was wearing check trousers with slippers.
Him breaking into Mario voices was funny for about three minutes. The rest of dinner was just scary.
And don't even talk about Waluigi*

*Waluigi/Wario = more SMB name confusion.

:)

But, in the Mario Bros. movie... the World Trade Center was destroyed!

IT'S AN OMEN!

hobbitx said:
Funny you'd bring that up because I remember on the Mario episode of Icons when Miyamoto brought up Donkey Kong he said Mario was actually a carpenter in the beginning. Notice how in Donkey Kong he has a hammer and not a plunger. I definitely think he's been a plumber ever since the Mario Bros. days though.

As for the name, I don't see what the big shock is, they are referred to as the "Mario Bros." so I'd figure it is their last name, just sounds a little weird for Mario, but there's alot of people with the same first and last name, like uh...........Sirhan Sirhan!

There's a professor at my school named Raj Raj.

Top Bottom