• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets Watch the IMDB Top 250 films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
City Lights
Das Boot
The Great Dictator
Metropolis
Yojimbo
The General
Ikiru
Diabolique
The 400 Blows
8 1/2
Come and See
Throne of Blood
Grand Illusion

Or something. Of course you will eventually see all of them.

400 Blows!
Then Ikiru, 8 1/2, and the rest in some order. Haven't seen Come and See, The General, or The Great Dictator.

RustyO

Lets see, after a quick audit, there's 20 movies on that list I haven't seen.

46 : Toy Story 3 (2010)
72 : A Separation (2011)
108 : Up (2009)
118 : Rebecca (1940)
144 : The King's Speech (2010)
148 : Black Swan (2010)
151 : Warrior (2011)
153 : The Artist (2011)
156 : Into the Wild (2007)
158 : The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)
169 : There Will Be Blood (2007) <-- Sitting on shelf waiting to be watched
190 : Mary and Max (2009)
198 : District 9 (2009)
216 : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
220 : Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
222 : Star Trek (2009)
239 : Monsters, Inc. (2001)

244 : Like Stars on Earth (2007)
247 : Shutter Island (2010)

Basically, I've got no interest in watching half of the above (italicised). Others have just come out in the last year so. Will probably get round to watching the rest of them at some point.

There's some bad movies on the IMDB Top250, and some ridiculously highly rated ones... but I guess thats all a matter of opinion.

I'll have to add the AFI and BFI lists (below) onto the above as well.

I'm up for this - lots of films I have yet to see there, but I'd rather takes films from the AFI & BFI top 100's;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_Top_100_British_films

Both has the distinct advantage of not ranking The Dark Knight at the 8th best film of all time :/

Cool, I'll have to go through those lists sometime...

Holy shit what an absolutely ridiculous list.
I hope nobody holds this in any sort of esteem. It's terrible.

This is the ONLY 'film list' that matters.

And thats the opposite extreme...

I think I read somewhere there is like only 4 people who have actually seen all those movies on there? Some movie from 1912 thats only available by approved viewing at a library in Paris or something... one of the greatest works of world cinema?*

* I might have made that last bit up

hiredhand

1001 has a bunch crummy movies and doesn't resolve any of the issue of TSPDT.

also just look at the unique films to 1001 - monsters,
apocalypto, muriel's wedding, my brilliant career - none of those films are any good. i suspect the list gets worse if you digger deeper.

I just looked up the updated list for 1001 films. For some reasons the new picks for the more recent editions aren't that great (there isn't Monsters, Apocalypto or Muriel's Wedding in my edition). I agree that those movies shouldn't be on the list (I haven't seen My Brilliant Career).

What I don't like about the TSPDT that it includes too many minor works from great directors (Wilder's Avanti, Ford's The Sun Shines Bright, Scorsese's New York, New York, Godard's Passion...) and then neglects to list genre/film movement defining works from "lesser" directors like Sex, Lies and Videotape, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Planet of the Apes, The Wicker Man and The Ox-Bow Incident.

Window

What I don't like about the TSPDT that it includes too many minor works from great directors (Wilder's Avanti, Ford's The Sun Shines Bright, Scorsese's New York, New York, Godard's Passion...) and then neglects to list genre/film movement defining works from "lesser" directors like Sex, Lies and Videotape, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Planet of the Apes, The Wicker Man and The Ox-Bow Incident.

This is true but I honestly can't find a better list (but I'll admit I haven't exactly looked hard).

Jimbbob

Neo Member
First of all, 2nd post in about 5 years of lurking...

I'm going through the AFI top 100. I'm knocking out the freebies on Netflix first. My very brief impressions:
Duck Soup- Meh. Doesn't really hold up too well in my opinion. A few very mildly amusing bits, (including the mirror scene), but overall the best thing was that this ran only 68 minutes.

Shane- Fantastic! And, I'm not even a fan of Westerns. Just an absolutely enjoyable movie with a perfect ending. Loved everything about it. This one makes me want to explore more older movies to stretch my CGI-addled brain.

FYI, I saw that Citizen Kane (#1 on a lot of these lists) is coming on Turner Classic Movies on the 21st of this month. The game within this project is to see how many I can see without spending a dime, (other than the $8/month on Netflix).

Next up for me, the Graduate.

First of all, 2nd post in about 5 years of lurking...

I'm going through the AFI top 100. I'm knocking out the freebies on Netflix first. My very brief impressions:
Duck Soup- Meh. Doesn't really hold up too well in my opinion. A few very mildly amusing bits, (including the mirror scene), but overall the best thing was that this ran only 68 minutes.

That's like the greatest comedy of all-time. Took my two nephews to see it in 35 mm and they fucking loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom