• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Levee breaks outside of Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tochigi, Ibaraki and Fukushima prefectures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCWfqI0c18

Breaking news on NHK.

The water also overwhelmed the drainage pumps at the Fukushima nuclear plant, said a spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power Co., the facility’s operator. Hundreds of tons of contaminated water flowed into the ocean, he added.http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...race-immediately-typhoon-deluge/#.VfEzQvS6N0z

No problem! After looking some more, I think this NHK World video might be better. It's got English commentary on the situation and seems to have more footage.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150910_17.html

Sheesh. I just saw some NHK video. That's horrid. I feel for you, Japan. I remember the flood of '93. I can sympathize. Stay safe everyone!

Anyone from Tokyo GAF able to give updates?

Edit:

Story about the storm they're getting hammered by

http://www.weather.com/storms/typhoon/news/tropical-storm-etau-japan-flooding-landslides

With how tightly packed the metro area is, there are gonna be quite a few deaths and a whoooole lot of collateral damage.

Awful. Just awful.

Saw this on the news at my school today and all I can say is :

HOLY CRAP!

I literally dodged a bullet. My company originally offered me a city in the Ibaraki Prefecture and I declined that offer so they moved me near Osaka.

It isn't anywhere near Tokyo but it is still pretty bad. I live next to a levy like the one that overflowed in the video given in the first post. I am always worried it will spill over but it never has. I am glad I am moving out of that area next week.

So much property has been lost there. I wonder if rebuilding and support will be bungled by bureaucrats just like every other major disaster here. What crazy weather.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
N6hZhaB.jpg

Gulp. But 常総市 is sending evacuees here so safe enough I guess.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Also they still haven't disposed of the contaminated water? I thought the reactors were shut down completely now?

How do you dispose of the contaminated water? Where do you put it? That water is *never* going to be okay. It's always going to be contaminated. So you move it somewhere else and now that place has nuclear water. I doubt many places want Fukushima's radioactive crap.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Saw this on the news at my school today and all I can say is :

HOLY CRAP!

I literally dodged a bullet. My company originally offered me a city in the Ibaraki Prefecture and I declined that offer so they moved me near Osaka.

You made the right move anyway, Osaka is better than Tokyo.

That said, this is still awful to see... I feel terrible for anyone whose house gets destroyed like that. You spend so long making it into a home, where you feel safe and comfortable, then something like this happens. It must feel like the rug has just been pulled out from under you.

Wow xidnt expect it to be so bad.

Between its earthquakes and tsunamis, Japan seems to be a pretty hazardous place to live o_o

Skinpop

You made the right move anyway, Osaka is better than Tokyo.

That said, this is still awful to see... I feel terrible for anyone whose house gets destroyed like that. You spend so long making it into a home, where you feel safe and comfortable, then something like this happens. It must feel like the rug has just been pulled out from under you.

you're damn right.

MrChom

How do you dispose of the contaminated water? Where do you put it? That water is *never* going to be okay. It's always going to be contaminated. So you move it somewhere else and now that place has nuclear water. I doubt many places want Fukushima's radioactive crap.

How do you dispose of it. Well, like with all contaminated water...you wait.

Although, in fairness, loosing that much into the sea is probably going to dilute it enough to make it equivalent to "background radiation" we get everywhere.

Without knowing the isotopes and half life involved it's very hard to make a real judgement, mind you.

fixedpoint

The flooding looks terrible.
Also they still haven't disposed of the contaminated water? I thought the reactors were shut down completely now?

Contaminated water used for cooling fuel and reactors, as well as new leaking sea and ground water, is being stored on-site in tanks that are still being constructed. I believe it's going to take more than 30 years for full disassembly of the decommissioned reactors.

Yup, that typhoon fell apart in basically the worst way. Main spiral moved on, left a long band of heavy rain in one spot for quite literally a whole day, and can't move on because its in between the old typhoon spiral, and a second one moving in/adding to it once it was weakening.

Expect more rain north of Tokyo gaf. Hopefully the government will not drag their feet on this cause a ton of people lost their homes. (they will fuck it up again)

Zoc

Pretty crazy. I was just biking home down a hill and most of the road's asphalt had slipped off and was in a pile at the bottom.

Dang seeing it in the middle of the day shows how widespread it really is. Even worse since it's river water most of it has nowhere to go making it sit there til it gets evaporated/absorbed. Water is still a meter + deep in some parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom