• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like A Dragon: Yakuza | Oct 24 | Official Trailer

Hrk69

Gold Member

y8qluUT.png

This Japanese action drama plunges into the dark underworld of the yakuza, exploring the universal theme of family not only through bloodline but also through ties between yakuza bosses and their underlings, orphans and their caretakers, as well as mentors and students. These relationships are marked by deep affection at times, and by intense conflict at others, all intricately intertwined. Set in the fictional town of Kamurocho, the story unfolds across two intersecting timelines—1995 and 2005.​
In 1995, eager to escape their restrictive lives, Kiryu and his friends, Nishiki, Yumi, and Miho plan a heist at a local arcade. However, the arcade is under the control of the Dojima Family, a powerful yakuza organization that rules Kamurocho. They dive into the yakuza-controlled underworld of 1995 Kamurocho. Meanwhile, in 2005, Kiryu is set to be released from prison. He learns from Detective Date that his friends are in danger and decides to return to Kamurocho to protect them. However, their friendship has deteriorated, as tensions between the Tojo Clan and the Omi Alliance are at a boiling point.
Like a Dragon: Yakuza showcases modern Japan and the dramatic stories of these intense characters, such as the legendary Kazuma Kiryu, that games in the past have not been able to explore. Coming October 24 to Prime.​

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Hrk69

Gold Member

It shows
The contrast with (for example) Fallout is insane

This ? Sort of feels like a very grimdark version of Yakuza ? It looks great though, but I can see why Amazon asked them not to play the games. It looks to be a "serious" version of the Yakuza franchise, which... eh sure why not. The next game is about Majima going around a pirate ship on a fictional island near Hawaii. I'll give this a chance, as much as Amazon can do dumb things, this doesn't look bad, just a more brutal approach to the games. I can see why they would do this, they could have gone with the games's tone but there's a lot of tonal whiplashes, them going a serious route is an interesting choice.

lachesis

I like it. If they just carbon copied the original story with nothing different- cool, I guess - but I’ve replayed/watched the same story for many times - so I appreciate the different take. Only thing is that Kiryu being so… skinny! Lol

sudolicious

It's hard to tell which direction this will go. Fallout wasn't all bad and this trailer doesn't look horrible either, and of course I would like this to be successful since I like the setting and everything, but I just don't trust Amazon in putting out an actually good show (anymore?).

Best case I won't be annoyed enough to drop it, like Fallout, but we'll see. Just finished Tokyo Vice a couple of days ago btw, and while I wouldn't recommend this without a couple of disclaimers either, at least I had a generally good time with it. That's the bar.

Cyberpunkd

It shows
“No matter how major a writer it is, no matter how great the book, there always seems to be someone on hand who thinks he can do better, eager to take the story and ‘improve’ on it,” Martin added. “‘The book is the book, the film is the film,’ they will tell you, as if they were saying something profound. Then they make the story their own. They never make it better, though. Nine hundred ninety-nine times out of a thousand, they make it worse.”

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Looks god awful as expected.

Another instance where you should just stick to playing the games. Fuck all of this TV garbage.

Bad enough I had to suffer through 2 episodes of TLOU. Barely made it past 10 minutes in Fallout.

IR2P2kj.gif

NahaNago

I'm not really feeling it but I probably will check it out anyways. They seem to be going for completely serious. The main character also seems kind of small for the character.

Fbh

Looks like a straightforward adaptation but none of the charm.
IDK, don't really see the appeal. I guess for people who don't play games it might still be a fun story but otherwise I don't see why I'd bother watching this.

Top Bottom