• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games shipping 3DO games on CD-R (rather than pressed disc)

Is that even cheaper to do? Disc production companies probably reduced the number of prodcution lines since years now, and small numbers cost more than if they do huge ones but it would still be an automatic process whereas CD-R must go through RW+ drives individually?

I wonder if a customer copied it, kept the real disc and returned the fake one to them and another customer now got that suboptimal copy.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is that even cheaper to do? Disc production companies probably reduced the number of prodcution lines since years now, and small numbers cost more than if they do huge ones but it would still be an automatic process whereas CD-R must go through RW+ drives individually?

I wonder if a customer copied it, kept the real disc and returned the fake one to them and another customer now got that suboptimal copy.

A quick Google just now suggests that cd pressing plants will copy your data to the type of media you want it put on, and that cdrs are indeed cheaper, but can still benefit from printed labels, etc.

So while your copied cd may be a cdr, as with the purchased disc, you'd likely struggle to pass one off as the other.

Last edited:

Soodanim

When LRG made themselves the topic of conversation a year or two back it caused a people to speak about their experiences with the company. Waiting years for a product they paid for, etc. After all of that I find it less hard to believe that this happened.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

lol, that's a little pathetic. Back when I used to make Atari Jaguar games I could get a run of 500 pressed discs made from my CD-R master, supplied in a sealed DVD case with glossy single-sided print inlay, manufactured and delivered with a week to 10 day turn around - and the cost was astonishingly reasonable. I had the hassle of having to physically mail out the master to the pressing plant as their software was not happy with the CD format as it did not conform to existing coloured book standards, not sure 3DO even has that issue. Most times within a week of mailing it off I had a courier with 20 boxes at the door. Could have had 1,000 made for effectively pennies more, but there wasn't demand for 500 so no point shitting up the planet having them end up in landfill because "value".

Last edited:
89hnD9v.gif

lQkVLAz.gif

uqhEKWs.gif

nkarafo

Wait a sec, they are releasing actual 3DO games? The same exact code from the 90's runs?

I thought they were only releasing a few remasters that obviously wouldn't work on original hardware.

Impotaku

If you own a 3do it’s clear you don’t care about quality games to start with. If the entire library was wiped from the planet nothing of value would be lost. The bigger question would be why on earth is lrg even releasing reprints for a garbage system I know they have been pressing turds recently with plumbers don’t wear ties but who is really clamouring for this crap?

Gambit2483

CDR...isn't that the cheap shit you could buy like 100 for $5 bucks? didn't even realize they still make those.

nush

lol, that's a little pathetic. Back when I used to make Atari Jaguar games I could get a run of 500 pressed discs made from my CD-R master, supplied in a sealed DVD case with glossy single-sided print inlay, manufactured and delivered with a week to 10 day turn around - and the cost was astonishingly reasonable. I had the hassle of having to physically mail out the master to the pressing plant as their software was not happy with the CD format as it did not conform to existing coloured book standards, not sure 3DO even has that issue. Most times within a week of mailing it off I had a courier with 20 boxes at the door. Could have had 1,000 made for effectively pennies more, but there wasn't demand for 500 so no point shitting up the planet having them end up in landfill because "value".

I used to manufacture games on CD back in the day, a glass master was £500 and each disc cost 25 pence.

Danknugz

If you own a 3do it’s clear you don’t care about quality games to start with. If the entire library was wiped from the planet nothing of value would be lost. The bigger question would be why on earth is lrg even releasing reprints for a garbage system I know they have been pressing turds recently with plumbers don’t wear ties but who is really clamouring for this crap?
3do was super 1337 when it launched though. it was like neo geo level, 700+ dollars and the games looked amazing compared to the other consoles at the time

ReBurn

Gold Member
CDR...isn't that the cheap shit you could buy like 100 for $5 bucks? didn't even realize they still make those.
I don't recall them being that cheap. I would buy stacks of 100 without cases for $25 - $30.

I still have a lot of them that I burned over 20 years ago that have been stored in cases and are still readable. I don't know why I'm keeping COBOL source code for a warehouse management system I worked on over 25 years ago, but I am.

Esppiral

This dumbass thinks CD-R's last 10 years tops?

I probably have CD-R's older than him.
Yeah I still have Sega Saturn and psx "Backups" from 1996 that work perfectly today, indeed older than most posters on Gaf or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I don't recall them being that cheap. I would buy stacks of 100 without cases for $25 - $30.

I still have a lot of them that I burned over 20 years ago that have been stored in cases and are still readable. I don't know why I'm keeping COBOL source code for a warehouse management system I worked on over 25 years ago, but I am.
😂 I was being somewhat facetious but I do remember buying a shitton of these from BestBuy like 15 years ago on some super sale...they were basically less than $1 each. It was an obsolete technology back then so I'm just surprised it's actually still being used...then again, it is LRG so I shouldn't be too surprised

Dural

😂 I was being somewhat facetious but I do remember buying a shitton of these from BestBuy like 15 years ago on some super sale...they were basically less than $1 each. It was an obsolete technology back then so I'm just surprised it's actually still being used...then again, it is LRG so I shouldn't be too surprised

I remember getting them for ridiculously cheap at CompUSA on sale. I think I might have some unopened somewhere as I just didn't need them anymore.

nush

I just checked, they still sell them on Amazon.

SomeGit

LGR has been getting worse and worse, bought Doom Eternal for Switch runs out you need a 32 gb download even with the cart. Great physical game guys.

MiguelItUp

Good that they're getting called out on it. It'd be nice to have a company that's like them but actually cares about preservation, and, well, is just better in every possible way.

AmuroChan

LRG thought they could get away with it because they assumed that the people buying these games are collectors and won't open them anyway. Good on the person who caught this and is now making this known. This is reason #172 on why this crappy company shouldn't be supported.

I just point to this video when talking about LRG.

I've never been a fan of them. I just don't like the practice of releasing limited quantities of physical games like they do. It focuses on the collectors and scalpers over people who actually want physical games to play. Not to mention as time has gone on, they have gotten more and more sketchy.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Fuck LRG. Don't support them, and this is not the only reason you shouldn't be supporting them folks. Fuck em. Not one penny to these fuckin grifters, not a one.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

We had a large CD burner in my work. You could put 100 discs in and burn them all within 20 minutes. Likely burn more quicker than they would be selling.

StereoVsn

The worst part is this fucks got the deal for this new Mega Drive/Genesis shmup that locks really good. I hate the whole concept of this "limited run" bullshit. Why not collect pre-orders as long as there is demand and then produce the items accordingly? This way, anyone who wants the product can get it.
Actually they usually do that for most games now days.

That said, these are really scammy tactics.

Top Bottom