• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Does anyone have any experience in using a mysql installation outside of its default directory?

I am trying to put my mysql directory on another filesystem (/mnt/sdc1) but I get errors when I try to start up the mysqld service.

These are the steps I have taken so far:

1) Stopped mysql service

service mysqld stop

2) Moved and resynced mysql database

rsync -avz /var/lib/mysql/ /mnt/sdc1/mysql

3) Changed ownership permissions

chown mysql.mysql /mnt/sdc1/mysql

4) Added the following line to /etc/my.cnf file under [mysqld] directive

datadir=/mnt/sdc1/mysql
Commented out datadir=/var/lib/mysql

5) Ran following commands to change SELinux context

semanage fcontext -a -t mysqld_db_t "/mnt/sdc1(/.*)?"
chcon -R system_u:eek:bject_r:mysqld_db_t /mnt/sdc1
restorecon -Rv /mnt/sdc1

6) Startup fails when I try to restart mysqld.

/var/log/mysqld.log shows the following errors

140215 15:02:38 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /mnt/sdc1/mysql
140215 15:02:38 [Note] libgovernor.so not found
140215 15:02:38 [Warning] Can't create test file /mnt/sdc1/mysql/testfile.lower-test.lower-test
140215 15:02:38 [Warning] Can't create test file /mnt/sdc1/mysql/testfile.lower-test
/usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/mnt/sdc1/mysql/' (Errcode: 13)
140215 15:02:38 [ERROR] Aborting
140215 15:02:38 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

I know that the error code mentioned in the log is the permissions denied error code and I have checked the permissions on the folders and I am pretty sure they are correct. I would appreciate if anyone could provide any assistance.

LaneDS

Sounds like you tried this already, but have you given that folder 777 permissions and tested that way? Also, since SELinux is always the problem, does it work in permissive or disabled mode? Just some basics to try, since the log doesn't point to something I see as obvious.

Might need to do a chown -R too? Just thought of that.

If I set SELinux to permissive/disabled it loads up fine and everything works correctly. I tried with 777 permissions and and chown -R mysql:mysql it does not load up. Unfortunately keeping SELinux of permissive/disabled is not an option for me.

LaneDS

If I set SELinux to permissive/disabled it loads up fine and everything works correctly. I tried with 777 permissions and and chown -R mysql:mysql it does not load up. Unfortunately keeping SELinux of permissive/disabled is not an option for me.

Hm, googling brought me to this, which looks awfully similar to what you're doing:

https://blogs.oracle.com/jsmyth/entry/selinux_and_mysql

Since I don't use SELinux much, I'm rusty on contexts and the general use. Do you need the line with chcon in the three you listed?

Hm, googling brought me to this, which looks awfully similar to what you're doing:

https://blogs.oracle.com/jsmyth/entry/selinux_and_mysql

Since I don't use SELinux much, I'm rusty on contexts and the general use. Do you need the line with chcon in the three you listed?

Not 100% sure if I needed it or not but I included it anyway. I've tried getting it to work with and without using the chcon line but no luck. I came across that page while searching for ways to fix my issue and tried the suggested methods but they didn't work.

LaneDS

What do you get when you do an ls -dz on the /mnt/sdc1/mysql path? Wonder what would happen if you created a new directory at the root level and tested your steps that way.

What do you get when you do an ls -dz on the /mnt/sdc1/mysql path? Wonder what would happen if you created a new directory at the root level and tested your steps that way.

ls -dZ /mnt/sdc1/mysql/
drwxr-xr-x mysql mysql system_u:eek:bject_r:mysqld_db_t /mnt/sdc1/mysql/

Just tried doing what you recommended with creating a new directory at the root level and following my steps. It works but unfortunately for me I have to have the database in the /mnt/sdc1/mysql directory

Small update.

I created a /sdc1 directory and then copied mysql folder into that and did what I had outlined in my steps above. Started up mysqld and everything worked fine. So now I decided to change the mount point from /mnt/sdc1 to /sdc1 to check if it would work. It doesn't. So it seems my problem lies in having the database on my mounted partition. Any idea on what could possibly fix my problem?

LaneDS

Small update.

I created a /sdc1 directory and then copied mysql folder into that and did what I had outlined in my steps above. Started up mysqld and everything worked fine. So now I decided to change the mount point from /mnt/sdc1 to /sdc1 to check if it would work. It doesn't. So it seems my problem lies in having the database on my mounted partition. Any idea on what could possibly fix my problem?

Can you type mount and show us the output? Probably a specific mount option that is either there or needs to be there gumming it up.

mount
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sdc1 on /sdc1 type xfs (rw)
/dev/sdc2 on /mnt/sdc2 type ext3 (rw,usrquota)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

LaneDS

Awesome... what did it end up being? I was mostly guessing at things trying to help you narrow it down, but you're welcome. I enjoy trying to learn more about these kinds of things (now I know about XFS filesystems thanks to this problem).

lmpaler

Ooh. I'm suddenly ready to shift distros again. How is Sabayan? I never really got a chance to throw myself properly into Gentoo (a shame, since I cut my teeth on FreeBSD), and it looks to be related. Is there anything I should know about it specifically, any quirks compared to stuff like arch, opensuse, or mint?

Gentoo is great, Sabayon is easy to use and the KDE is a nice way to get familiar with things because it is similar to windows with a start button dock etc. I am running it on an older laptop(Asus K52je) and it runs great. One of the reasons I started getting into Linux was because Windows was complete crap on this laptop and there is a hardware error with the RAID drivers with causes it to hang for minutes at a time randomly and when I started finally getting nailed with it I was outside of the warranty.

I want to try to GNOME, MATE, XFCE versions when I get back home(in TN for business for another week) and see how I like them

They really strive for an "out of the box" experience and it works great, hopefully they stick around.

Awesome... what did it end up being? I was mostly guessing at things trying to help you narrow it down, but you're welcome. I enjoy trying to learn more about these kinds of things (now I know about XFS filesystems thanks to this problem).

After I mounted the new mount point I checked its SELinux context and it was of file_t. Changed it to mysqld_db_t and it finally started working.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's funny how I can usually go to two issues for like 90% of regular Linux issues. It's easier you have an AMD card or else you have SELinux/AppArmor problems. LOL

Ok so it's a month and a week until the next LTS hits. That means that it's roughly a month till the LTS OP can be posted. As usual I'll be helming the OP like always.

Anything particular you'd like me to cover? Also if you want to help contribute I welcome all comers. I especially suck with GIMP if someone wants to make a cool looking 14.04 LTS header image.

Hieberrr

It's funny how I can usually go to two issues for like 90% of regular Linux issues. It's easier you have an AMD card or else you have SELinux/AppArmor problems. LOL

Ok so it's a month and a week until the next LTS hits. That means that it's roughly a month till the LTS OP can be posted. As usual I'll be helming the OP like always.

Anything particular you'd like me to cover? Also if you want to help contribute I welcome all comers. I especially suck with GIMP if someone wants to make a cool looking 14.04 LTS header image.

Maybe a short overview/summary (5 points) for why someone should consider Ubuntu over Windows 7/8.

swecide

Banned
Anyone here have experience with running google cloud print in a corporate environment or something similar? Been playing around with a test server and I'm very impressed by how well it works for the most part. But there are a few things that worries me and I really like to hear how you have tackled it.

I recently changed distro on my computer at work to SolydK (http://solydxk.com/). My first real experience with KDE and I must say I thought I would hate it but I find it very usable.

Young Magus

An update to the deedbeef issue that was posted a while back.

Seems that the issue I have is that the music files that deal with this problem are the ones that I rip from my Physical Copies. The other files (i.e Online Purchased) work just fine. Any ideas as to why? The program I used to rip CDs are Sound Juicer and Banshee if it helps.

I'm having an issue.

I just bought my wife a MacBook Pro and inherited her desktop. So I decided to make my Ubuntu 13.10 with Turion64 laptop into a placeholder HTPC and ran into an audio problem.

My laptop speakers aren't muting when I plug in external speakers and the sound channels coming through them are reversed. This sounds like ass trying to watch movies with it connected to my surround system.

ALSA doesn't have a "front" slider, otherwise I'd just turn that up and the internal speakers down for the first problem.

I don't know where to start for the second.

I'm thinking the two are probably related so I don't want to start altering pulse audio config if it's an ALSA problem.

I'm running Ubuntu13.10 with Gnome classic Desktop environment and I have ati sound.
I'm using the Gallium gfx driver, if that matters.

Milchmann

An update to the deedbeef issue that was posted a while back.

Seems that the issue I have is that the music files that deal with this problem are the ones that I rip from my Physical Copies. The other files (i.e Online Purchased) work just fine. Any ideas as to why? The program I used to rip CDs are Sound Juicer and Banshee if it helps.

Maybe your disc drive has problems ripping audio CDs. You could test command line tools like cdda2wav or cdparanoia and experiment with their options.

I'm having an issue.

I just bought my wife a MacBook Pro and inherited her desktop. So I decided to make my Ubuntu 13.10 with Turion64 laptop into a placeholder HTPC and ran into an audio problem.

My laptop speakers aren't muting when I plug in external speakers and the sound channels coming through them are reversed. This sounds like ass trying to watch movies with it connected to my surround system.

ALSA doesn't have a "front" slider, otherwise I'd just turn that up and the internal speakers down for the first problem.

I don't know where to start for the second.

I'm thinking the two are probably related so I don't want to start altering pulse audio config if it's an ALSA problem.

I'm running Ubuntu13.10 with Gnome classic Desktop environment and I have ati sound.
I'm using the Gallium gfx driver, if that matters.

Try alsamixer.

Maybe your disc drive has problems ripping audio CDs. You could test command line tools like cdda2wav or cdparanoia and experiment with their options.

Try alsamixer.

No dice.

nostremitus@nostremitus-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
nostremitus@nostremitus-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$

Maybe not having it is causing problems?

Edit: Installing it now.

Edit2: Nope. Alsamixer is only showing Master and Capture. No other options.

Edit3: Why would it list both ATI and Intel?

Screenshotfrom2014-03-19184002.png

-KRS-

Doesn't Ubuntu use Pulseaudio? Try installing the pulseaudio volume control application (pavucontrol) if you don't have it already. It sounds to me like it uses both sound cards at the same time. In pavucontrol there's an option to use "Simultaneous sound output" or something like that in the output tab, where it will use multiple sound cards at the same time. Just choose the right one in the list. I have a USB DAC and every time I plug it in, the standard setting it sets itself to is the simultaneous output.

Doesn't Ubuntu use Pulseaudio? Try installing the pulseaudio volume control application (pavucontrol) if you don't have it already. It sounds to me like it uses both sound cards at the same time. In pavucontrol there's an option to use "Simultaneous sound output" or something like that in the output tab, where it will use multiple sound cards at the same time. Just choose the right one in the list. I have a USB DAC and every time I plug it in, the standard setting it sets itself to is the simultaneous output.
I'll try that when I get home.

I just don't see how I could have an Intel sound card. It's an AMD Turion64 CPU paired with an AMD mobile GPU. Would they embed Intel sound on an AMD mobo?

-KRS-

Hmm yeah I guess that sounds unlikely. I'm mostly thinking that the HDMI sound output might be treated as it's own sound card or something. I've never messed with HDMI on linux though so I don't know how it usually goes.

Hmm yeah I guess that sounds unlikely. I'm mostly thinking that the HDMI sound output might be treated as it's own sound card or something. I've never messed with HDMI on linux though so I don't know how it usually goes.

I backed up my data and just did a fresh install. Problem fixed.

After a couple of years of using Xubuntu as my primary Linux, I just made the switch to Arch today. Tried installing it in a VM yesterday, it was pretty simple. I mostly switched because a lot of the packages in the Ubuntu repositories were out of date and looking for PPAs was getting annoying. I gotta say I'm pretty impressed by Arch so far. I had some trouble setting up the bootloader (had the wrong hard drive set as the boot device in BIOS) and my WiFi wouldn't work in the live environment, but other than that it was smooth sailing.

Oh sorry guys, I did mean an IDE for Linux. I use Visual Studio on Windows (which I love). I will check out QtCreator.

I really like KDevelop for C++.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gnome 3.12 is almost here, bringing with it significant updates to the UI's for Gedit, Gnome Videos, and Gnome Software (app store.) Gnome 3.12 will also have "performance gains for startup and (hopefully) memory usage, the theme and animations in the shell has been refined in quite a few subtle ways, high-resolution display support has been extended, and a great many bugs have been fixed."

Gedit:

pRVbZz2.png

Gnome Videos (before):

old-totem.png

Gnome Videos (after):

fullscreen.png

trailers.png

sources-with-search.png

Gnome Software:

gnome-software-312-main.png

gnome-software-312-details.png

gnome-software-312-installing.png

gnome-software-312-updates.png

gnome-software-312-sources.png

Looking like another excellent release!

Kvik

I got Diablo 3 running on Wine1.7 PPA last night (12.04 Precise), AMD Catalyst blob 14.2.

No ptrace trick this time, only ddi=opengl. Framerate still takes a hit, though. :-\

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So hard to play new games IMO via Wine now that we have so many other games coming natively to Linux either via Humble Indie Bundles or Steam.

Also I propose we all show off our Linux Desktops! I'll start! :p

Kind of want to get some new wallpaper tonight though.

Gotta say, I don't get the HiDPI hype. Is this something for you plebs who refuse to roll with your DPI set at 96?

I've been rolling with 1920x on 15" laptop screens in linux for 6 years now. Browser zoom at 125% + slightly larger system font size = no worries.

Kvik

So hard to play new games IMO via Wine now that we have so many other games coming natively to Linux either via Humble Indie Bundles or Steam.

Yeah, the momentum is there, albeit slowly. Last I checked, XCOM EW is also gearing up for a native Linux support (Steam DB - Config only)

I think one thing to look out for here is to achieve some sort of feature parity with DirectX (Windows) version of the game. For example, Metro LL Linux native has some missing effects which are available in Windows.

zoku88

Gotta say, I don't get the HiDPI hype. Is this something for you plebs who refuse to roll with your DPI set at 96?

I've been rolling with 1920x on 15" laptop screens in linux for 6 years now. Browser zoom at 125% + slightly larger system font size = no worries.

I have a 3200x1800 screen on a 13" on a laptop that I use in bed.

I really really notice when an application doesn't listen to DPI settings..

I should post of a picture of firefox (which does support DPI scaling) and Steam next to each other. I almost literally cannot read another on Steam on that computer (can't really use chrome that well either. At least, the interface on it.)

I should post of a picture of firefox (which does support DPI scaling) and Steam next to each other. I almost literally cannot read another on Steam on that computer (can't really use chrome that well either. At least, the interface on it.)

I really want to know the benefit of having that high of a resolution on such a small screen. I'm genuinely curious.

hitsugi

....that resolution.... is it one of those lenovos? I forget the model, but I recall seeing one with a completely absurd display.

did some searching and it appears every laptop maker has an offering at that res these days. I remember the days where everyone was plagued by 1366x768.. well we still are, but at least laptop displays are finally back to beating cell phones (when you spend $1600+.. in the meantime you still have to spend $800-ish to hit 1080p)

zoku88

....that resolution.... is it one of those lenovos? I forget the model, but I recall seeing one with a completely absurd display.

did some searching and it appears every laptop maker has an offering at that res these days. I remember the days where everyone was plagued by 1366x768.. well we still are, but at least laptop displays are finally back to beating cell phones (when you spend $1600+.. in the meantime you still have to spend $800-ish to hit 1080p)
It's actually the Asus Ativ book plus 9
Keyboard shortcuts are the way to go.

Is it a laptop? I imagine it has to get hot and loud at that resolution. My laptop (HD4000) starts working hard when I'm using my 1920x1200 monitor.
Yea laptop. Doesn't get hot though. I usually can't hear it unless I'm watching a video or something.

Top Bottom