• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

zoku88

This is what my desktop looks like. i3bar stuff is scaled according to DPI, so it all works out. Next I shall show firefox and chromium side by side.

Chromium text is scaled (by 250%) while in firefox, everything is scaled 2,5x, I think. The interface stuff in Chromium is all over the place. Some pieces are really small while others are normal sized. You can't see in this screenshot, but the address bar in chromium is pretty hard to use because the suggestions overlap with eachother (apparently vertical spacing of the suggestions doesn't actually account for the actual height of the text.)

Chromium is supposed to get DPI scaling with Aura. It's not so bad since you're mostly reading text with browsers anyway. Some other applications are really hard to use, like Steam. Not that I do much with this laptop, anyway.

NotBacon

This is what my desktop looks like. i3bar stuff is scaled according to DPI, so it all works out. Next I shall show firefox and chromium side by side.

Chromium text is scaled (by 250%) while in firefox, everything is scaled 2,5x, I think. The interface stuff in Chromium is all over the place. Some pieces are really small while others are normal sized. You can't see in this screenshot, but the address bar in chromium is pretty hard to use because the suggestions overlap with eachother (apparently vertical spacing of the suggestions doesn't actually account for the actual height of the text.)

Chromium is supposed to get DPI scaling with Aura. It's not so bad since you're mostly reading text with browsers anyway. Some other applications are really hard to use, like Steam. Not that I do much with this laptop, anyway.

Even on 1080p chrome is pretty annoying, but I still deal with it for the syncing beauty.

Young Magus

What OS are you using? Looks nice I must say

Looked into i3wm. I don't know...I think I need convincing for a tiling window manager.

Are they difficult to set up(configure)? How long did it take before using it felt natural? Is i3wm pretty resource intensive?

I'd like to give it a go but Openbox has been so good to me that I don't really want to spend a lot of time figuring something else out.

zoku88

I guess I should have said what OS does i3wm work with?

I would assume it would work with any. It's probably in most repos.

I'm using Arch specifically.
Looked into i3wm. I don't know...I think I need convincing for a tiling window manager.

Are they difficult to set up(configure)? How long did it take before using it felt natural? Is i3wm pretty resource intensive?

I'd like to give it a go but Openbox has been so good to me that I don't really want to spend a lot of time figuring something else out.

I3 is pretty easy since it's just a simple text file and the defaults aren't too bad. (I don't make many changes.)

Awesome is a little bit harder, since it's config file is a lua script, so when you mess up, it can really be a pain. i3wm has pretty good documentation.

These dynamic window managers tend to not be very resource intensive. I don't really have any good stats or comparisons, though... Also my main machine is a beast, so it would be hard for me to notice performance problems.

I don't remember how long for it to feel natural. I was an Awesome user before, so by the time I switched to i3, everything was pretty easy. I came to these window managers because of problems I had with Gnome 3. I don't think it took very long.

I guess I should have said what OS does i3wm work with?

Do you mean distribution of Linux? Or do you actually mean Mac, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, etc.?

I3 is pretty easy since it's just a simple text file and the defaults aren't too bad. (I don't make many changes.)

Awesome is a little bit harder, since it's config file is a lua script, so when you mess up, it can really be a pain. i3wm has pretty good documentation.

These dynamic window managers tend to not be very resource intensive. I don't really have any good stats or comparisons, though... Also my main machine is a beast, so it would be hard for me to notice performance problems.

I don't remember how long for it to feel natural. I was an Awesome user before, so by the time I switched to i3, everything was pretty easy. I came to these window managers because of problems I had with Gnome 3. I don't think it took very long.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm swamped now but I'll try it out sometime within the next week. I'm sure there's some non-member watching that wants to know how different they are.
Right?...

zoku88

Distro

Also, how fast is Arch? Faster then Fedora?

Well, speed just depends on what you have running, mostly. I doubt either one would be faster than the other given that they are running the same software.

I would assume most of the measurable speed difference in distros would be in boot speed, given that init systems are kind of harder to change, imo, and there are a couple of choices for init systems.

phoenixyz

My main motivation to use i3 was the fact that I don't enjoy using a touch pad (well, who does?) and it was a relief being able to do most things with the keyboard.
How long it takes to get used to it depends on how you use your current WM. If you heavily depend on free window placement you will probably have a bad time. Thats why I personally would not use a tiling window manager on a desktop machine.
Configuration is straight forward but pretty extensive (if you want to spend some time with it, but as zoku said, the defaults are mostly fine).
Resource use is minimal afaik. Personally I added Compton to have some basic compositing features like transparency which makes it slightly more taxing.

zoku88

I think all of them do. At least the popular ones.

I usually don't float anything unless it's something with a more non-standard user interface, like steam.

Heyo. I once had a problem and the regulars here helped me me out, and I am hoping you can again. Previously, I set my wife's laptop up for dual booting Windows 8.0 and Ubuntu. I partitioned most of the drive to Ubuntu, because she hates Windows 8. Cut forward six months later, and she has had to do a lot of work that can only be done in Windows 8 (.docx file alterations). As a result, her Windows 8 partition is out of space.

I need to repartition the HDD to give some of the space I allocated to Ubuntu back to Windows 8. However, I can't reformat the HDD, because there are things on here we can't back up.

I am worried that if I repartition from the Windows 8 side, it will grab from Ubuntu without care, damaging the OS or files. How do I go about doing this the right way?

phoenixyz

Heyo. I once had a problem and the regulars here helped me me out, and I am hoping you can again. Previously, I set my wife's laptop up for dual booting Windows 8.0 and Ubuntu. I partitioned most of the drive to Ubuntu, because she hates Windows 8. Cut forward six months later, and she has had to do a lot of work that can only be done in Windows 8 (.docx file alterations). As a result, her Windows 8 partition is out of space.

I need to repartition the HDD to give some of the space I allocated to Ubuntu back to Windows 8. However, I can't reformat the HDD, because there are things on here we can't back up.

I am worried that if I repartition from the Windows 8 side, it will grab from Ubuntu without care, damaging the OS or files. How do I go about doing this the right way?
You should be able to do this with GParted. You should definitely give the documentation a long hard look though. I usually wouldn't recommend resizing two partitions which both contain important data (at least not without a backup).
Have you thought about installing Windows in a VM instead or running Word in Wine as an alternative?

Young Magus

I'm going distro searching again and I'm looking for something that:

1) Can have Google Chrome on it
2) Easy to set up a USB DAC as main sound
3 Very Very Minimalist (sorta like #!)

Any ideas?

I'm going distro searching again and I'm looking for something that:

1) Can have Google Chrome on it
2) Easy to set up a USB DAC as main sound
3 Very Very Minimalist (sorta like #!)

Any ideas?

For (1) and (3) I say Arch. I have no desire to hop anymore because with Arch I install what I want, everything is up to date, and it has a lot of support. I don't know about (2) because I just plug my headphones into the computer jack.

Hieberrr

I've been using Ubuntu 14.04 pretty much exclusively on my oldish laptop (connected to my HDTV) for the past month or two.

I have it set up almost to my liking (finding the right wallpaper is really hard).

cjBLKaU.png

Young Magus

For (1) and (3) I say Arch. I have no desire to hop anymore because with Arch I install what I want, everything is up to date, and it has a lot of support. I don't know about (2) because I just plug my headphones into the computer jack.

So I took a hand at installing arch and I came across a huge problem. I was trying to update my system but everytime the updates are done downloading, it tells me that the files are corrupted or that the signatures from x is corrupted. The packages do not get installed nor upgraded. Is there anyway to change or fix this issue?

So I took a hand at installing arch and I came across a huge problem. I was trying to update my system but everytime the updates are done downloading, it tells me that the files are corrupted or that the signatures from x is corrupted. The packages do not get installed nor upgraded. Is there anyway to change or fix this issue?

Like this? Or this?

The actual downwards work really fine but when its time to check the keyrings/integrity then it goes to hell. Something like this
I assume you've tried the fixes within that thread? I've never had a checksum/PGP issue so I've never taken the time to understand how that stuff works. I know zoku88 has been using Arch for a while so he(she?) may have run into this issue with pacman before.

zoku88

Do you get that error with every package or just certain packages?

Your install is pretty new, so I'd expect your keying to be updated well enough.

Code:
pacman -S archlinux-keyring
To make sure you have the keys for the maintainers.

You said it was a fresh install, right?

You sure you have the right stuff in /etc/pacman.conf as well?

EDIT:
Specifically, are you sure you set the Repos correctly?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Repositories

Young Magus

Ok so after a few hours and refreshing my keycodes and following stuff such as this I was able to upgrading my system and install the stuff that I needed. Now I have chrome, feh, and pulseaudio.

BTW, is there a better image viewer/wallpaper changer then feh out there?

injurai

Banned
so... installed Xubuntu on virtual box.

Somehow "I" forgot my password since I entered it in during install. Though I swear I have no fault in this matter.

Anyways Is there a way for me to change my password? Iunno hack. Never really done that sort of thing before, I just don't feel like installing it again.

edit: I will mention I can log into a guest account. Need to open a shell under my username or root or something.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Starting the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS topic (Includes Variants) right now actually as I got home early. If you have any suggestions or must include let me know!

BTW I changed up my desktop wallpaper...

I'm learning Ruby on Rails and I want to use a Linux OS over Windows 7.

What would be the best Linux OS? I'm completely new to Linux, but I don't want to continue developing on Windows.

LaneDS

What would be the best Linux OS? I'm completely new to Linux, but I don't want to continue developing on Windows.

Others here can give you a much better answer, but I'd say Ubuntu (maybe the latest LTS release?) or CentOS would probably be a good start for working with Ruby.

NotBacon

Eh anything debian based probably. Because then if you have a problem 'x' you can just google 'ubuntu x' and the solution should still work for you.

Check out the websites for Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Mageia, Zorin, etc.

If you want to check out rpm-based things, then openSUSE, Fedora, and CentOS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

New Ubuntu + variants hits next Thursday. Perfect timing! :p

BTW I plan on posting the Ubuntu 14.04 |OT| on Sunday FYI.

Looking for thread titles.

Young Magus

Here is my Desktop right now.

I like it but I wonder is there a way to get rid of the text on the right or replaced with another bar. I heard that it involves conky but how will I go about and edit it?

As always, thank you in advance

I really, really wanted to give Cinnamon another go BUT the maintainer from Debian abandoned the project and my attempts to compile it myself from github failed because of some dependency (cinnamon-menus - which I compiled and installed).

Bad topic as Mir has nothing to do with this release. Mir and Unity 8 has been pushed back to the next LTS.

14.04 still runs on x.org

Yeah, it was a reference to the fact that its implementation got delayed after Shuttleworth was saying it would be in 14.04. Wish I could give you anything better but I can't think of anything.

NotBacon

Here is my Desktop right now.

I like it but I wonder is there a way to get rid of the text on the right or replaced with another bar. I heard that it involves conky but how will I go about and edit it?

As always, thank you in advance

try:

sudo apt-get --purge remove conky-all

I installed Lubuntu 13.10 on an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 that I have.

At first, the monitor wasn't correctly supported and the color depth and resolution was all crazy. After dropping down to the command line, I was able to create and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the screen onto the correct resolution and color depth. Everything shows up correctly now... except the Terminal.

When I open the terminal it looks like this:
yVMwpSg.png

As you can see, there's no title bar (window decorations are turned on for everything else, this seems to be default behavior somehow. It was also doing this before I fixed the monitor issues so I'm not sure if it was related to that), the text is all blurry, and there are no colors. Also the right side of the window is completely screwed up and the terminal itself doesnt refresh when I type so I can only see what I type when the text scrolls.

Is there any way to fix this?

-KRS-

I installed Lubuntu 13.10 on an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 that I have.

At first, the monitor wasn't correctly supported and the color depth and resolution was all crazy. After dropping down to the command line, I was able to create and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the screen onto the correct resolution and color depth. Everything shows up correctly now... except the Terminal.

When I open the terminal it looks like this:
yVMwpSg.png

As you can see, there's no title bar (window decorations are turned on for everything else, this seems to be default behavior somehow. It was also doing this before I fixed the monitor issues so I'm not sure if it was related to that), the text is all blurry, and there are no colors. Also the right side of the window is completely screwed up and the terminal itself doesnt refresh when I type so I can only see what I type when the text scrolls.

I'm not sure how to fix that, but have you tried another terminal emulator? rxvt-unicode is what I use but it requires you to configure it with text files rather than having a menu bar etc.

Edit: Here's the arch wiki page on it with instructions on how to set it up if you want to try it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rxvt-unicode

You don't have to set it up at all though. That's more for customization.

I'm no LXDE maven, but you could try messing around with devilspie, which allows you to set options on a per-window basis in a scripty manner.

Heh, it's a bit weird to see it as an add-on program, as I've been used to this sort of functionality being bolted into the desktop by default for over a decade now.

Anyway, it looks like the syntax if you use devilspie2 (the currently less unmaintained fork) would be like so:

Code:
if (get_window_name()=="Terminal") then
   docorate_window();
end

(I suspect "docorate" is a typo in the manual, but I decided to just use what they say instead of being too clever)

You save the text as a ".lua" file in the ~/.config/devilspie2/ directory, apparently.

edit: Also, hold down the Alt key to drag titlebar-less windows around with your mouse. And there's a fifty-fifty chance that your window manager will allow resizing by holding down Alt while dragging with the right mouse-button.

Young Magus

Alright so Im still messin with my setting and Ive changed my tint 2 around to my liking. Problem is that my Openbox right click menu is all kinds of messed up. Most of the options that were preformable are not working now. Do I have to change around something in the settings of openbox and if so how would I go about doing that?

Dicer

Banned
Ok trying to install cinnamon, and running into this....

Code:
dicer@Alienware-X51:~$ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 cinnamon : Depends: gir1.2-muffin-3.0 but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libcogl-pango12 (>= 1.7.4) but it is not installable
            Depends: libcogl12 (>= 1.9.6) but it is not installable
            Depends: libmuffin0 but it is not going to be installed
            Recommends: nemo but it is not going to be installed
            Recommends: cinnamon-screensaver but it is not going to be installed
            Recommends: gir1.2-cjsdbus-1.0 but it is not installable
            Recommends: cinnamon-bluetooth but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I tried to clean the apt-cache and no avail....

Though's and feelings? Ubuntu 13.10

Alright, what the hell. I'm trying to install Fedora 20 on my PC. First attempt failed because it would not even boot (it stopped during the boot animation and gave me a terminal prompt and a kernel log). I re-downloaded the ISO, put it on the same stick and tried again. Now it seemed to actually boot, but it didn't go very far either, I got a black screen. Ctrl-Alt-F1-F7 didn't do anything, Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't do anything either. The only way it boots is using the basic graphics mode, which has an amazing 800x600 resolution which makes using the installer pretty hard. My hardware:

Mainboard: Asus P8P67 (I believe it uses UEFI)
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 XT with Boost

I'm gonna try booting a Ubuntu Live CD to see if maybe that works, but I kinda don't want to use/install Ubuntu.

Top Bottom