• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

zoku88

Norwegian Wood said:
hey guys am still a newbie at this.

I just downloaded this file and would like to install it but am having a hard time doing so.

can anyone please help?

file name is sp-auth.tgz

I'm using openSUSE
tgz is just a tar.gz

I believe you untar it with
Code:
tar xvzf file.tgz

if that's not right, do "man tar" to figure out what the options for tar really are.

if this is some kind of source code, then do

Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install

Dragon

Banned
Norwegian Wood said:

I just downloaded this file and would like to install it but am having a hard time doing so.

can anyone please help?

file name is sp-auth.tgz

I'm using openSUSE

Open a terminal do a tar -zxvf sp-auth.tgz wherever you downloaded it I believe.

norinrad

Its an app to watch live TV/games

I did the tar -zxvf sp-auth.tgz and got another folder on my desktop. how do i run the file?

zoku88

Norwegian Wood said:
Its an app to watch live TV/games

Should i run it in the Terminal then?
There should be instructions after you untar the archive about how to install and run.

Usually, after you run make install, you can run it through the terminal by typing the name of program.

Also, if it's already precompiled, you can running the appropriate file in the folder.

You can probably create a desktop file (does openSUSE use Gnome? idk, never used it) so that you don't have to run it through the terminal.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Almost 48 hours of using linux and i fucking love it.

everything seems faster than my windows install. Gifs are loading fast as fuck. I'm in heaven.

Linux till i die!

panda21

Kentpaul said:
Almost 48 hours of using linux and i fucking love it.

everything seems faster than my windows install. Gifs are loading fast as fuck. I'm in heaven.

Linux till i die!

you switched from windows to ubuntu right? i installed both on my new PC and was amazed when ubuntu was smoother to install than windows, from the video card drivers right down to my external soundcard, i hardly had to lift a finger in ubuntu.

the only problem i have with it is that often you often get bad tearing in video playback, which is annoying when you start to notice it. its because of some issue with video drivers, and it doesnt sound like they are planning on fixing it..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Norwegian Wood said:

can anyone please help?

file name is sp-auth.tgz

I'm using openSUSE

One of the reason I like a debain or fedora based distribution for the .deb or .rpm files.

Tworak

panda21 said:
the only problem i have with it is that often you often get bad tearing in video playback, which is annoying when you start to notice it. its because of some issue with video drivers, and it doesnt sound like they are planning on fixing it..
I get crazy tearing with the nvidia "hardware" drivers (that's what it's called, right?) but zero tearing without. Not using the hardware drivers seems to crash linux every 5 or so hours, though.

Kentpaul

installed the banshee music player, was this a good choice guys ?, edit , now just going to use rytmebox

panda21

Brettison said:
One of the reason I like a debain or fedora based distribution for the .deb or .rpm files.

so does opensuse (it uses rpm)

i think one of the major reasons people get annoyed with linux and it breaks, is that they completely miss the package management stuff and try and install everything the usual way of going to the website and downloading it.

Tworak said:
I get crazy tearing with the nvidia "hardware" drivers (that's what it's called, right?) but zero tearing without. Not using the hardware drivers seems to crash linux every 5 or so hours, though.

hmm. i have the ATI one. i'm not sure what its called but its the one made by ati, not the open source one, i think. i wish they would just fix it because its an enormous issue.

Dragon

Banned
Brettison said:

Not everything has a .deb though. I find myself really liking CentOS these days, using it for a dev server at work and I think yum destroys apt-get!

Cheeto

Solaros said:
Thank you for taking the time to post that!

The majority of the time I operate from the command line, as that is what I want to become proficient with. I'll load up Slackware on one of my free computers and do what you suggest.

Any opinion on CentOS? Is it very similar to RHEL? I am student of Information Security and I want to absorb that most I can about Linux.
After you learn basic linux use, and when you start getting deeper into your field, grab this book.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596005652/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vanillalite

TheBranca18 said:
Not everything has a .deb though. I find myself really liking CentOS these days, using it for a dev server at work and I think yum destroys apt-get!

True not everything does. MOST everything does now though cause devs feel they sort of have to with .deb files since the debain/ubuntu and friends has become so popular.

I managed to pick up a used computer on Ebay (Acer Aspire 5735Z) and started running Ubuntu on it.

Ubuntu 10.10 is pretty good. I'm surprised by how stable and snappy it is. And I loved the additions they've done to folder management.

However I am disappointed with how Ubuntu has yet to add a dock or a folder manager (I.E. Finder and Windows Explorer).

That being said 11.04 looks incredible. I love how Unity is looking and I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:
I managed to pick up a used computer on Ebay (Acer Aspire 5735Z) and started running Ubuntu on it.

Ubuntu 10.10 is pretty good. I'm surprised by how stable and snappy it is. And I loved the additions they've done to folder management.

However I am disappointed with how Ubuntu has yet to add a dock or a folder manager (I.E. Finder and Windows Explorer).

That being said 11.04 looks incredible. I love how Unity is looking and I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.
Folder manager? You mean Nautilus? (Windows Explorer types programs are called File Managers.)

And if you want a good dock program, look into docky. (you can get it via apt-get)

And I can't believe you like Unity :-/

zoku88 said:
Folder manager? You mean Nautilus? (Windows Explorer types programs are called File Managers.)

And if you want a good dock program, look into docky. (you can get it via apt-get)

And I can't believe you like Unity :-/

Stuff like docky takes up computing resources. Not to mention it feels so tacked on. It's literally OSX's dock pasted onto Ubuntu.

And no I don't mean Nautilus, I mean a intuitive, app like folder manager. Using the managing files through Ubuntu is much more cumbersome than doing so in Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. In short I want something like Finder.

And what's wrong with Unity?

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:
Stuff like docky takes up computing resources. Not to mention it feels so tacked on. It's literally OSX's dock pasted onto Ubuntu.

And no I don't mean Nautilus, I mean a intuitive, app like folder manager. Using the managing files through Ubuntu is much more cumbersome than doing so in Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. In short I want something like Finder.

And what's wrong with Unity?
Well, any dock thing ubuntu would have would have to take up computing resources. You can't get something for free. I mean, what would you want a dock to ubuntu to look/behave like?

I don't understand the difference between Nautilus and Windows Explorer that you are talking about.

And my problems with unity are kinda hard to describe. I just find the whole thing unintuitive in a way. And it slows me down compared to ubuntu using gnome.

zoku88 said:
Well, any dock thing ubuntu would have would have to take up computing resources. You can't get something for free.

If something is actually encoded in the OS the footprint is practically non-existent. For mods though this is very contrary and thus is the main argument of default vs "just use mods". Docky is a perfect example of this as it really taxes hardware, even if it's running on a dual core system.

zoku88 said:
I mean, what would you want a dock to ubuntu to look/behave like?

Something that isn't literally copied and pasted from another operating system. Microsoft figured it out with Windows and the Ubuntu team is trying with Unity.

zoku88 said:
I don't understand the difference between Nautilus and Windows Explorer that you are talking about.

One makes file and folder managing much easier and intuitive than the other.

zoku88 said:
And my problems with unity are kinda hard to describe. I just find the whole thing unintuitive in a way. And it slows me down compared to ubuntu using gnome.

I see.

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:
If something is actually encoded in the OS the footprint is practically non-existent. For mods though this is very contrary and thus is the main argument of default vs "just use mods". Docky is a perfect example of this as it really taxes hardware, even if it's running on a dual core system.
I used docky on a netbook.... You really had troubles with it?

Something that isn't literally copied and pasted from another operating system. Microsoft figured it out with Windows and the Ubuntu team is trying with Unity.
Why does it matter if it's "copied" or not? An implementation that works well for the users is a good implementation.

One makes file and folder managing much easier and intuitive than the other.
Like, howso? I use both pretty frequently and find their usage to be very similar.

EDIT: I'm not saying nautilus is a GOOD file manager. Just that I don't find the operation difference between the two of those to be very significant.

zoku88 said:
I used docky on a netbook.... You really had troubles with it?

It's not that my system froze or couldn't run it, it's just that it took a lot of resources and was pretty unstable.

zoku88 said:
Why does it matter if it's "copied" or not? An implementation that works well for the users is a good implementation.

I've already stated that because it feels tacked on. OS X's atmosphere and feel don't fit Ubuntu's atmosphere and feel. Again this is why Microsoft marched on with their own type of dock in Windows 7.

zoku88 said:
Like, howso? I use both pretty frequently and find their usage to be very similar.

Having both out now and doing an immediate comparison:

- Properly spaced and arranged folders in tab bar.
- Much cleaner and useful menu bar (Ubuntu's is stuck in the early 2000's)
- Drop down menu on arrows on the address bar
- Libraries
- Preview pane (I hate how in Ubuntu you have to hover your cursor over music to play it.

Come immediately to mind after a 5 second use between the two. I'm sure I could come up with more.

Yes Ubuntu's has some nice advantages: tabs and side by side folder view. But it isn't enough to be at the level of Window's and OSX's folder management IMO.

zoku88 said:
EDIT: I'm not saying nautilus is a GOOD file manager. Just that I don't find the operation difference between the two of those to be very significant.

It isn't really the "operation", just that one does it easier and better than the other than the other to the point that it needs improvement.

quaere

Video tearing problems - did you make sure to enable Vsync in your graphics vendor control panel? Did you enable it in the Compiz control panel? Did you try with Compiz on and off? (Switch between desktop effects normal and none)

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's not that my system froze or couldn't run it, it's just that it took a lot of resources and was pretty unstable.
I really just don't see how you could've had that problem. I mean, I run it on a netbook and it was pretty usable. And running it now on an older laptop (equipped with the uber powerful T7500) and it's always silky smooth.

I've already stated that because it feels tacked on. OS X's atmosphere and feel don't fit Ubuntu's atmosphere and feel. Again this is why Microsoft marched on with their own type of dock in Windows 7.
And what about Ubuntu's atmosphere does it not fit? The background color of docky doesn't match the default color of GNOME windows? Is it that it's partially see-through?

Having both out now and doing an immediate comparison:

- Properly spaced and arranged folders in tab bar.
- Much cleaner and useful menu bar (Ubuntu's is stuck in the early 2000's)
- Drop down menu on arrows on the address bar
- Libraries
- Preview pane (I hate how in Ubuntu you have to hover your cursor over music to play it.

Come immediately to mind after a 5 second use between the two. I'm sure I could come up with more.

Yes Ubuntu's has some nice advantages: tabs and side by side folder view. But it isn't enough to be at the level of Window's and OSX's folder management IMO.
Hmm, I can understand how you can prefer those things, I guess.

zoku88 said:
I really just don't see how you could've had that problem. I mean, I run it on a netbook and it was pretty usable. And running it now on an older laptop (equipped with the uber powerful T7500) and it's always silky smooth.

I said that it took up resources not that it ran choppy. It ran perfectly fine and smooth, but it taxed my CPU. It always made my CPU jump in system monitor, especially when hovering over icons. Not to the point of being noticeable but if I was rendering or doing something important it would be a pain. Regardless it goes back to the fact that third party apps have a footprint while in system features don't.

zoku88 said:
And what about Ubuntu's atmosphere does it not fit? The background color of docky doesn't match the default color of GNOME windows? Is it that it's partially see-through?

For the same reason why docky wouldn't have fit Windows.

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:
I said that it took up resources not that it ran choppy. It ran perfectly fine and smooth, but it taxed my CPU. It always made my CPU jump in system monitor, especially when hovering over icons. Not to the point of being noticeable but if I was rendering or doing something important it would be a pain. Regardless it goes back to the fact that third party apps have a footprint while in system features don't.
Well, I never saw such jumps (looking at it now), but if you do, it can't be helped.

For the same reason why docky wouldn't have fit Windows.
Which is?

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:
It doesn't mess well with the aesthetic and usability the operating system is designed upon?
You do realize that you're basically saying nothing, right?

In what way is that the case?

EDIT: And what would 'built-in' mean for Ubuntu anyway? Is GNOME built-in? Compiz? Or Gwibber? I mean, ubuntu is pretty modular. I'm not sure what you would consider "built-in".

Nautilus is kinda bad, but it does enough things (bluetooth file browser, samba file shares...) that I need to have it installed. :(

Thunar is better. XFCE future!

zoku88

Speaking of shells, has anyone tried GNOME-shell? I'm trying it right now, but don't have any thoughts on it.

EDIT: mutter seems horrible, though. I can at least believe Canonical's claim that compiz is faster :lol

Sew

Throwing my 2c into the Nautilus vs Windows Explorer debate. I've been pulling my hair out for the last year trying to find a Linux file manager as good to use as Explorer. I'm talking XP era Explorer; low on features but clean and fast. And most importantly, 'white space' that I can click and drag in when I'm in 'detail' view, as opposed to those alternate shaded rows that no matter where you click, a file is selected. Vista and 7 went down this shaded row path, and like Nautilus and most other file managers, it drove me nuts.

Anyway, I replaced my 10.04 Gnome desktop with xubuntu on the weekend and I'm pretty happy. Thunar gets me the closest I can get to XP Explorer, and my desktop is much, much snappier to boot.

XP Explorer is still the fastest GUI for managing large quantities of files though, IMO. It's just a shame XP is running underneath it.

How do I have my music open up with Rhythmbox by default?

It is selected to be the default when I go to "Preferred Applications" but when I click on any MP3 it still opens in Movie Player.

Flying_Phoenix said:

It is selected to be the default when I go to "Preferred Applications" but when I click on any MP3 it still opens in Movie Player.

I have a similiar problem. I want my default media player to be VLC, but its not showing up in the Preferred Applications window.

zoku88

Flying_Phoenix said:

Did you try right-clicking on a file and moving to the "open-with" tab?

[served its purpose]

EDIT: Ugh, forgot that GNOME defaults to showing names, unlike the Ubuntu customized version. Oh well :lol

zoku88 said:
Did you try right-clicking on a file and moving to the "open-with" tab?

EDIT: Ugh, forgot that GNOME defaults to showing names, unlike the Ubuntu customized version. Oh well :lol

Worked fine...odd.

Thanks though.

So why don't we start posting our desktops?

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Also I'm thinking of putting this picture in the OP because I find it funny:

268d20d8c529b33ba4ad51ac10f003967d27ee10.jpg

Kentpaul

Just installed superkaramba theme mananger, shit is about to get awsome :D

my destop FTW

Hey Linux GAF !

I'm finally trying my luck with Linux. I'm not totally computer illiterate but I am indeed a noob with all things GNU (at least on their technical side).

I intend to dual boot on a new (probably 500gig) hard drive with Windows 7 (I'm still using XP at the moment).

Soooo.... first things first. How should I partition the HDD to handle the dual-boot efficiently ? 2 partitions (one for each OS) or 3 partitions (one for each OS and the third one for files) ? If it's the latter, how much space should I leave for each OS ?

And...err... I should format everything in NTFS right ?

Thanks in advance !

Vanillalite

Install Win 7 1st like normal. I'd just do your regular windows format deal and install windows. Then try and install Linux. Ubuntu will auto partition for you with a slider. You just move the slider left or right till you decide on the right allocation of space. Easy as shit IMO.

Vanillalite

Side note: Why did I think Flying_Phoenix was banned? I swear I thought Andrex was banned too, and then saw him post in the chrome h2.64 thread. WTF am I going crazy here?

Brettison said:
Install Win 7 1st like normal. I'd just do your regular windows format deal and install windows. Then try and install Linux. Ubuntu will auto partition for you with a slider. You just move the slider left or right till you decide on the right allocation of space. Easy as shit IMO.

So no advantage in having 3 partitions ? It means I put all my files on the windows side so that both OS can see them ?

Vanillalite

BaronLundi said:
So no advantage in having 3 partitions ? It means I put all my files on the windows side so that both OS can see them ?
That was how I rolled since I could access my windows partition in Linux and not vice versa. Plus if needed be I'd just drop box shit over.

Brettison said:
Side note: Why did I think Flying_Phoenix was banned? I swear I thought Andrex was banned too, and then saw him post in the chrome h2.64 thread. WTF am I going crazy here?

I was banned for about a month due to trolling Gran Turismo fans in the last NPD thread and smilie abuse. Just got back here a few days ago.

During that time I registered for a SomethingAwful to satisfy my GAFfill. Boy was I wrong, that site is SO BORING.

itxaka

Defeatist
BaronLundi said:

The way I roll is:

1 60Gb partition for Windows + apps
1 60Gb partition for linux flavor of the month
1 XGb NTFS partition for sharing everything. There is where I install steam + games, other apps, store my OS isos, virtualbox machines, pictures, docs and music. That way I can access and store everything OS independent in case something bad happens.

In other news I just started with ubuntu 11.04 alpha testing.

First, the issue of asking to install proprietary drivers every time I log in or else I won't have unity 3D! It seems that noveau still not supports 3D. And I don't think they are gonna have a stable version in 3 months. So new users will be greeted with that error which really doesn't help newbies. I hope they fall back to 2D unity as the default.

Second, the applications folder is a mess. It's just a folder with all the links. I guess they are trying to be MacOsX like, but it looks like ass.

Third, the menubars dissapearing to be on top, again MacOsX like. I like that but they still need a lot of work as they appear two times on several apps. I'm gonna say this is due to it being alpha but well, it's kind of difficult to get used to it, especially with apps launching windowed instead of fullscreen.

Fourth, slow as fuck. Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with ubuntu, every day it gets slower and slower like old windows versions. I can forget about using it on my laptop for sure, because it's getting slower as hell. This is the slower alpha I have ever tested.

Fifth, this is a stupid thing but sucks. Grub screen is violet. I don't like it at all. It makes the change from grub selection to plymouth smoother but it sucks *insert lol gif here*

And six! Upgrade process is still fucked up. Update manager still suck ass! Update manager gives you stupid error like incomplete information and such, partial upgrades, etc. A simple apt-get upgrade solves that as it installs everything. I don't know why there is such a huge difference between apt-get and update-manager, as this one uses the other to upgrade but it's still not behaving properly, as usual with ubuntu.

Apart from that, business as usual. Broken things, apps that don't start, python 2.7!, etc...
This alpha is much more stable than others that I have tried to be honest.

Sew

Oh god, I knew Ubuntu had a Mac fetish but it's starting to sound a little OTT.

Hopefully xubuntu keeps its head on straight.

itxaka

Defeatist
zoku88 said:
upgrade manager isn't just a front-end for apt-get?

It should be, but I don't think it is. I think it uses the safe-upgrade route (plus something else) which in the end causes more problems when there is a couple of packages with dependencies.

Really? I find 10.10 to be far snappier than 10.04.

They are both slow as hell. 6.xx was slow, 7.xx was improved, 8.xx was slow again, 9.xx was awesomely speedy, 10.xx got slow again.

What's better: GNOME or KDE?

itxaka said:
They are both slow as hell. 6.xx was slow, 7.xx was improved, 8.xx was slow again, 9.xx was awesomely speedy, 10.xx got slow again.

Hmm well I didn't jump until the Ubuntu train until right after 10.04 came out. So I guess I'm a bit LTTP.

That being said I do enjoy the Update Manager, though it is buggy.

Either way it's just the alpha. I'm sure 11.04 will improve the flaws you're addressing.

Vanillalite

Oh god the Gnome KDE debate could get heated.

IDK both are good. Gnome leans to be more IDK Mac like kind of where KDE tends to feel more Windows like. Gnome tends to take a slow and steady wins the race pace, and KDE tends to put itself out there more and take more chances.

KDE gets criticized for sometimes trying to do to much like it did with KDE 4 which had some great ideas, but all the focus on new ideas left it rather bug ridden. Gnome on the other hand get's flack for playing it to safe. Some complain it just doesn't in innovate fast enough to keep up with modern computer times.

At the present time both are good because KDE is now on release 4.5 so it's been iterated on a ton as well as bug squashed. It also helped that 4.5 was manly a fix what's wrong rather than add new shit in.

Gnome is still on 2.32 which is an extremely iterated on release. They are currently prepping for this big overhaul dubbed gnome shell for 3.0 sometime in the next few months. So who knows how things will shape up then. Also the crew working on Unity have had some people say they think Unity is trying to encroach on the gnome space, and that it's extremely similar to the Gnome Shell.

In the end the good thing is you have two big choices. A lot comes down to personal preference, and you can always have both installed at the same time. Then you can just switch between the two.

The bigger key IMO is to stick with whatever your distro wants to use. Ubuntu comes with gnome stock, but also has a thriving kubuntu team so you can roll with either. Other big releases like Fedora tend to be the same. Smaller off shoots though such as Mint tend to derive from only one of the two desktops so you should stick with whatever they are going with.

Top Bottom