• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What exactly happens? Do you even get a boot menu? Do all of the OSes show up? I'm thinking the two nix installs are both probably tied to Grub, and then you installed rEFIt and shit isn't synced.

Andrex said:
Sweet, thanks!

Any word on if Fedora is gonna have their own Software Center? Seems to be all the rage nowadays (was Ubuntu the first of all the desktop OS's?)
So, yeah, obviously there's "Add/Remove Software" which is Fedora's graphical package manager, but you probably knew that.

IMO though it's not nearly as good as even the first version of Ubuntu's Software Center. :(

Brettison said:
What exactly happens? Do you even get a boot menu? Do all of the OSes show up? I'm thinking the two nix installs are both probably tied to Grub, and then you installed rEFIt and shit isn't synced.
All the drives show up, I'll try to take a picture the next time I try.

Vanillalite

angelfly said:
Maybe I'm missing something but how is that different from url shortcuts which gnome has always offered? Besides stripping the UI it seems exactly the same.

Well they should run as individual processes, but Chrome already does this natively anyways.

Vanillalite

Well the software center is nice. Most every program has an .rpm file and a .deb file. So it's not as if Fedora isn't supported. You just might have to google for it verses searching the software center.

Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop. I've played with various Linux distros on this machine before and on others in the past, but whenever I try to plug my headphones in all it makes is a very loud static/white noise sound. Any ideas? The headphone port works fine on Windows 7..

*edit* upon further inspection the built in speakers on my monitor aren't working either. Connected via HDMI..

Vanillalite

Did you go into the sound menu and make sure it had all of your stuff setup right in terms of what's your right sound card, and the volume and stuff is ok?

Another option might be to download a program called Gnome ALSA Sound Mixer. Should be in the regular repositories. Then find your input listed, and make sure it's checked as being on. Then set the volume and such, and see if that fixes both issues.

Vanillalite

For you early adopters and well Gnome 3 freaks like Andrex who are eagerly anticipating Gnome 3.2 and each day your frothing demanded increases... I have an early news present for you....

Official Gnome New Blog!

GNOME 3.1.90 beta released!

Hello all,

This is 3.1.90, and it's out! It's the first beta of what will be
GNOME 3.2, enjoy it while it's time, the next beta (3.1.91) will
arrive next week

With this release we are now UI frozen, no UI changes may be made without
confirmation from the release team and notification to the documentation
team (gnome-doc-list< at >). The other freezes are of course still in place,
details on http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/Freezes

To compile GNOME 3.1.90, you can use the jhbuild [1] modulesets
published by the release team [2] (which use the exact tarball
versions from the official release).

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/
[2] http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/3.1.90/

The release notes that describe the changes between 3.1.5 and 3.1.90
are available. Go read them to learn all the goodness of this release:

core - http://download.gnome.org/core/3.1/3.1.90/NEWS
apps - http://download.gnome.org/apps/3.1/3.1.90/NEWS

The GNOME 3.1.90 release is available here:

core sources - http://download.gnome.org/core/3.1/3.1.90/
apps sources - http://download.gnome.org/apps/3.1/3.1.90/

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
--------------------------

This release is a snapshot of development code. Although it is
buildable and usable, it is primarily intended for testing and hacking
purposes. GNOME uses odd minor version numbers to indicate
development status.

For more information about 3.1, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our colorful 3.1
page:
http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview of the GNOME schedule, please see:
http://live.gnome.org/Schedule

Cheers,
Fred
September 01, 2011 09:34 AM

itxaka

Defeatist
Andrex said:
Is there a way to package apps like this and distribute them? That's the functionality I want as a dev.

I guess is a normal web page, nothing else, nothing more. Only that it kinds of sandbox(es?) it.

Software Center, duhhhh. :p And Ubuntu is generally the first supported distro for everything.

Did you meant Debian?

Well they should run as individual processes, but Chrome already does this natively anyways.

But it's not locked to a domain, nor the cookies are separated which means that is more secure. Not being afraid of URL redirection to steal your identity or the normal browser accessing the rest of your cookies. Take your web access to your bank for example, this means that only that process will have access to the bank cookies and there is no way they can redirect you to a phishing website if the bank webpage is compromised.

Or at least that is what I would program it for :D

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
I guess is a normal web page, nothing else, nothing more. Only that it kinds of sandbox(es?) it.

Did you meant Debian?

But it's not locked to a domain, nor the cookies are separated which means that is more secure. Not being afraid of URL redirection to steal your identity or the normal browser accessing the rest of your cookies. Take your web access to your bank for example, this means that only that process will have access to the bank cookies and there is no way they can redirect you to a phishing website if the bank webpage is compromised.

Or at least that is what I would program it for :D

If you ran a single tab in the private browsing where each is a separate tabbed process anyways how would this be any different though?

Vanillalite

A kitty wants to come out and play today!

BabyOcelot07.jpg

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta hits for the world to test out!

Jerk said:
Fuck ATI for shitty drivers.

That is all.

Funny enough most of my Ubuntu 11.10 alpha problems when I searched launchpad all had ATI cards involved hmmmm...

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
If you ran a single tab in the private browsing where each is a separate tabbed process anyways how would this be any different though?

Apart from the easy access, private browsing does not store your cookies rigth? Also the locked to domain part is the most important IMO. Not being prone to url redirection is important, if only useful for a few webpages (banks I guess)

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
Apart from the easy access, private browsing does not store your cookies rigth? Also the locked to domain part is the most important IMO. Not being prone to url redirection is important, if only useful for a few webpages (banks I guess)

Incognito mode

For times when you want to browse in stealth mode, Google Chrome offers the incognito browsing mode. Here's how the incognito mode works:

Webpages that you open and files downloaded while you are incognito aren't recorded in your browsing and download histories.
All new cookies are deleted after you close all incognito windows that you've opened.
Changes made to your Google Chrome bookmarks and general settings while in incognito mode are always saved.
Tip: If you're using Chrome OS, you can use the guest browsing feature as an alternative to incognito mode. When browsing as a guest, you can browse the web and download files as normal. Once you exit your guest session, all of your browsing information from the session is completely erased.

PS: Just got home, and am running today's updates. Oneiric Ocelot Beta incoming soon! WINRAR!

Brettison said:
Did you go into the sound menu and make sure it had all of your stuff setup right in terms of what's your right sound card, and the volume and stuff is ok?

Another option might be to download a program called Gnome ALSA Sound Mixer. Should be in the regular repositories. Then find your input listed, and make sure it's checked as being on. Then set the volume and such, and see if that fixes both issues.

I did all of those things, including downloading that program and it's still staticy even after disabling all of the different inputs. :(

Vanillalite

peppermints said:
I did all of those things, including downloading that program and it's still staticy even after disabling all of the different inputs. :(

Did you try and turn your volume down though? Shit sounds staticy when you have your stuff cranked.

peakish

Brettison said:
A kitty wants to come out and play today!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAAUU/Jua-2rs8z8s/s800/BabyOcelot07.jpg

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta hits for the world to test out!

Funny enough most of my Ubuntu 11.10 alpha problems when I searched launchpad all had ATI cards involved hmmmm...
Haha, oh so this is what an Ubuntu Beta feels like. Bugs galore! (I did expect this of course but I haven't used beta distributions or mayor software in a loooong time now) Impressions:

Unity 3D ran like shit on this old AMD notebook so I switched to 2D. Their featuresets seem to be on par with each other from what I can tell.

So far everything else is as I expected, no huge changes but lots of refinements from 11.04. LightDM looks great and a user is finally selected automatically on boot so you can enter the password without first pressing the horrible additional Enter. Supposedly GDM will change things up quite a bit in 3.2 so we'll have to see how they compare, but the old GDM won't be missed by me at least. Speaking of Gnome, the default theme looks great in GTK3.

Browsing for installed software (in the dash) works much better now with the new filtering system. Plus the integrated searching and browsing for documents and music is cool, though some bug makes the Folder filter show everything but that. The new scrollbars aren't implemented fully in the dash though, I wonder why? Anyway, I like where they are heading with this dash even if it isn't quite there yet.

I still like Unity but the auto-hide feature really seems strange right now when the button for launching it is integrated in the dash. I'm typing in a maximised window right now and there's no indication for how to open it and launch new software, even if it only requires hitting the top left action corner with the mouse. It doesn't seem intuitive and it doesn't help that the dash takes a second or so to appear. Since maximised windows look great with the integrated top bar or whatever it should be called it seems strange that launching software from it works poorly and seems unintuitive.

Finally I think they keep way too much information under the top right panel icons. I don't think it makes much sense to configure sessions, sessions, screens and printers under the same tab as shutting down etc.

Overall, it seems like a good enough step forward towards Canonicals goals. It looks pretty and the dash is promising. Software Center is another huge step forward in prettiness as well. I'll stay with Gnome Shell (in Fedora or Arch) for now but Ubuntu is still super hot for me.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I'm going to try out the Beta for 11.10 -- I'll just wait for the full release, also I'm still a fairly big beginner with Ubuntu.

Still learning :) -- A friend told me about different types of environments (I guess? I forgot the exact name of them) -- but basically stuff like Lubuntu, xbuntu, Kubuntu, etc -- Looked fairly neat.

Just wondering, so right now 11.04 isn't using GNOME3 correct? But, 11.10 will?

zoku88

Haziqonfire said:
I don't think I'm going to try out the Beta for 11.10 -- I'll just wait for the full release, also I'm still a fairly big beginner with Ubuntu.

Still learning :) -- A friend told me about different types of environments (I guess? I forgot the exact name of them) -- but basically stuff like Lubuntu, xbuntu, Kubuntu, etc -- Looked fairly neat.

It does use GNOME 3, I've heard. It just doesn't use GNOME shell.

Not sure, I don't use Ubuntu.

Vanillalite

Haziqonfire said:

Yeah Unity is a Shell for Gnome 3, but what most of the casual users associate as Gnome 3 is actually Gnome Shell. They had already created Unity for Gnome 2 a few releases ago for the netbook spin which was ported and changed up for the desktop. Then this release they are moving it over to Gnome 3.

zoku88

teiresias said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the best distribution to stick on an old PowerPC iBook G4?
Probably one that makes you compile packages for yourself rather than relying on precompiled binaries. Not sure how many people have ppc personal systems anymore.

angelfly

teiresias said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the best distribution to stick on an old PowerPC iBook G4?
Lots of distributions have ppc ports. However if I was planning to install one I'd go with either Gentoo or Debian.

Wow its been a while since i've been on linux. I need to get my laptop working again so i can dual boot with windows 7.

what is the latest version of ubuntu out since that's what i used a lot.

Vanillalite

Infinite Justice said:
Wow its been a while since i've been on linux. I need to get my laptop working again so i can dual boot with windows 7.

what is the latest version of ubuntu out since that's what i used a lot.

Ubuntu 11.04... you can download it straight from HERE! Just click the Get Ubuntu button and go!

Vanillalite

On a side note: FreeNode IRC is pimp for getting my questions answered easily and usually getting a fix too! Also awesome that they have a browser version verses needed an IRC client installed! :D

Massa

cooljeanius said:
Hi LinuxGAF, I'm currently a Mac user, but I installed Ubuntu and FreeBSD on partitions on and external hard drive of mine with unetbootin, and then installed rEFIt on my laptop, but whenever I try to boot into Linux with rEFIt, it doesn't work. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I never managed to boot Linux from USB on a Mac.

What I did was burn a CD with "plop boot manager" (google), then from plop you can boot any USB device.

So I just started using xubuntu on an old PC of mine that ran xp and bsod'd, lost my windows serial. Anyway, I like it alot better and it runs much better than xp did. Only problem is in the options the refresh rate never gets to the 60's. when I watch videos the screen tearing is really bad.

my pc has a gig of ram and a very old 7600 gs vid card.

Never had this problem on xp at my lcd's native resolution (1366 x 768)

closest I see is 1360 x 768 with a 52 hertz refresh rate. Other resolutions don't go over 50. Also if I leave it at 50 and not 52 on the closest configuration my screen gets all fuzz looking.

Vanillalite

ARXIN said:
So I just started using xubuntu on an old PC of mine that ran xp and bsod'd, lost my windows serial. Anyway, I like it alot better and it runs much better than xp did. Only problem is in the options the refresh rate never gets to the 60's. when I watch videos the screen tearing is really bad.

my pc has a gig of ram and a very old 7600 gs vid card.

Never had this problem on xp at my lcd's native resolution (1366 x 768)

closest I see is 1360 x 768 with a 52 hertz refresh rate. Other resolutions don't go over 50. Also if I leave it at 50 and not 52 on the closest configuration my screen gets all fuzz looking.

Are you running the stock drivers or did you install the proprietary nvidia ones?

Brettison said:
Are you running the stock drivers or did you install the proprietary nvidia ones?
I'm using the nvidia ones xubuntu automatically downloaded.

I went to the nvidia side and downloaded the geforce 7600 gs drivers for 64 bit linux systems but when I try to install it says its not a software package?

peakish

ARXIN said:
I'm using the nvidia ones xubuntu automatically downloaded.

I went to the nvidia side and downloaded the geforce 7600 gs drivers for 64 bit linux systems but when I try to install it says its not a software package?
Have you set the file as an executable? Right click -> Properties -> some tick box somewhere. More information here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingRunPackage

Also you might want to uninstall the drivers you got from the Software Center before installing this so that Ubuntu won't try to change shit up if updates arrive.

peakish

ARXIN said:
I'm reading that the "dynamic twinview" thing cause refresh rate problems. I'm looking for options to turn it off.
Twinview is some kind of dual monitor-thingy, right? I've never had to troubleshoot that stuff so I don't know much about it. Nvidia has a program for advanced configuration which should be installed if you're running their proprietary drivers, have you looked in that? In a terminal it can be started with nvidia-settings.

Can't do much more than that, but good luck.

peakish

ARXIN said:
When accessing Nividia X Server Settings
Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/nvidia-settings" (No such file or directory)
Sorry, but have you installed the proprietary drivers or are you still running the stock Ubuntu ones?

If the Ubuntu ones, install nvidia-settings from the Software Center. You'll need to show technical objects I think.

Edit: In case you're not sure of what we're suggesting, here are some details.

- Ubuntu ships with open source drivers for Nvidia, AMD and Intel. These are enabled by default.
- Nvidia and AMD also have their own, proprietary, drivers available. These generally have more features and perform better than the open source stuff. In Ubuntu they can be installed by running the Hardware Drivers program (somewhere in the System Settings menu). Have you installed these?
- Since Ubuntu might not carry up-to-date drivers it's also possible to download and install whatever drivers you like from Nvidia's and AMD's websites. Is this where you are?
- For Nvidia's drivers there's the configuration utility nvidia-settings, I think it's installed automatically with them but I might be mistaken.

Sorry if you know this stuff already, just making sure we're on the same page.

Edit 2: As for what steps I'd generally take with graphics problems, from running the stock Ubuntu drivers:

1) Install the proprietary drivers from Hardware Drivers.
2) If that didn't solve shit, uninstall those drivers and install the latest ones from Nvidia's webpage.
3) If problem persists, run nvidia-settings and see if things can be set right there.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm running the stock ubuntu ones. From the x server it shows it running at native resolution at 60 fps but the image is very fuzzy. Like tiny waves through the entire screen.

when I check through the display setting it says it's 52 hertz?
2jczsww.jpg

and though the stock ubuntu drivers are installed and activated they are not being used.
302lzls.jpg

I have tried both of those.

Now I can lower my refresh rate to 52 and eliminate the screen fuzziness but then my videos have screen tearing.

my vid card is a nvidia 7600 gs running on 64 bit xubuntu.

peakish

ARXIN said:
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm running the stock ubuntu ones. From the x server it shows it running at native resolution at 60 fps but the image is very fuzzy. Like tiny waves through the entire screen.

when I check through the display setting it says it's 52 hertz?
http://oi51.tinypic.com/2jczsww.jpg

and though the stock ubuntu drivers are installed and activated they are not being used.
http://oi54.tinypic.com/302lzls.jpg

I have tried both of those.

Now I can lower my refresh rate to 52 and eliminate the screen fuzziness but then my videos have screen tearing.

my vid card is a nvidia 7600 gs running on 64 bit xubuntu.
Hmm. I'm on deep water here, but I'd try to force the correct settings, can that be done from under that Advanced menu perhaps? Then I'd hit the "Save to X Configuration" button. That's basically a file which keeps all the display settings for X (the graphics display server). Again it's been years since I had to troubleshoot stuff like this so if that doesn't work I can't give many more tips. Hopefully someone smarter than me can pick up the slack in that case.

Btw, have you rebooted since switching the drivers?

Well I got the 60 hertz and resolution working but I still get screen tearing and my drivers still say "not currently in use" I've tried removing and re installing them like I have read in other forums but I get the same problem.

Vanillalite

I'd honestly try and maybe find a driver cleaner then go with those nvidia drivers. I don't want to suggest it, but you could always try a reinstall or a different distro.

Vanillalite

Okay so I found a funk'n BALL'N pluggin' that is an add-on for FireFox, but fixes everything system wide.

Enter.... Flash-Aid... created by someone on the Ubuntu forums and works for Debian/Ubuntu and I assume other spins like Mint....

Basically it fixes flash for you. It installs and runs this wizard deal where it uninstalls whatever the fuck you have flash wide on your system that is probably fubar, and then it'll install flash which you can pick stable or beta. As someone who had flash issues in the Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha/Beta in Chrome I found this through some googling. Like I said it's a FF extension, but it fixes flash natively on your system. So it's system wide and fixed flash in both FF and Chrome for me.

I can't recommend this shit enough. It also has a tweak that overrides GPU validation and speeds up some performance and helps in full screen. This extension is $$$$$$$!

Maaaan ATi cards really don't like Linux and Wine :)
Can't get anything working remotely ok with my 5850... TF2 plays but crashes, Black Ops have dreadful performance and sound dies after a while and Civ V can't even start :(

Vanillalite

Melhisedek said:
Maaaan ATi cards really don't like Linux and Wine :)
Can't get anything working remotely ok with my 5850... TF2 plays but crashes, Black Ops have dreadful performance and sound dies after a while and Civ V can't even start :(

I've said this in other threads, and maybe in this one too. I'm just not a fan of Wine in general. I know why people use it, but I'm sort of over it. I use linux for linux stuff. Granted it would be nice to have native linux apps for steam and other assorted things I use sometimes in Win/OSX, but I'm cool with it. 95% of things have a linux version now outside of actual games. Plus it's so easy to dual boot (I have Win 7/Ubuntu combo) that I don't have any big qualms. When I want to use Zune or Steam I boot into Windows.

That being said ATI and Nvidia (though more so ATI) both have a long way to go in terms of Linux support. Even for native stuff they always seem to have issues. Granted it HAS gotten better than it use to, but it's still pretty shitty. The 3 death kills for linux in general are graphics drivers, flash, and printers. Sound use to be in that grouping, and pulse isn't perfect. It was such a big cluster fuck though that it got a ton of attention and isn't near as bad as it was say IDK 2 years ago.

It also doesn't help that a lot of major distros are making the Gnome 3 switch which means to an extent things have to sort of start over in terms of interactions with the graphics drivers. The big key releases IMO will be Spring 2012 as it'll be the 3rd iteration of distros using Gnome 3 as their base. It also just so happens (or maybe not as this stuff is planned ahead) that's also when the next Ubuntu LTS will hit. It'll be interesting to see where Fedora and Ubuntu (as well as their brethren) are by that point. Then shit should be smooth for a while (similar to KDE's current state after they got out of the 4.0-4.2 ghetto). until Debian pushes out it's next big thing of multiarch support.

PS: Why do I always feel bad posting in this thread? I feel like such a whore, and that I personally bump this thread way to often. :/

No way mate, I love this thread!
Anway, I feel that if I can't game in Linux partition that I'll ofc reboot to Windows and when that happens I'll never get back to Linux :(
I really like Linux and would love to learn more about it, but I have such a low tolerance for problems these days that I just say screw it and boot to win where I have everything working as I want it to.

Still I would love to be able to use Linux as my main OS, mostly as I like to tinker with stuff. Back in the days I used to overclock anything and everything (read water cooling, volt mods and so on) but I'm past those days. Now I like to tinker with software and firmware (I can't hack just use other peoples work) and do with my hardware a bit more than it was intended for it.

I don't know if I made any sense :) but tl:dr.
I love Linux as an idea and will "annually" ;) reinstall latest Ubuntu (most used to it) and tinker for a bit until I get carried away by something else.

Oh and keep this thread alive please :)

One question though...
I tried streaming music from www.streamingsoundtracks.com using Banshee but it wouldn't work. They use .pls files and nothing happens when i open one. I would like to use Banshee because of great integration with interface and hope it is just a bug.

Top Bottom