• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wish GNOME 3.2 would come out already! I want to see how much better it is. You know if there's an ETA on it, Brettison?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
peakish said:
Gnome's on a six month release schedule, so early October sounds probable to me.

This man knows his stuff! Honestly though unless your an Arch user or a Gentoo whore you all are more than likely using Gnome 3 with Fedora as they sort of go hand and in hand now.

Fedora like Ubuntu and Gnome is on a 6 month cycle. Gnome 3 should be out in late October, but the 1st major distro shipping with it as default will be Fedora 16. The Fedora 16 release schedule can be found HERE! ETA for Fedora 16 release is Nov. 1st as everything to pushed back a week from the end of October. Fedora 16 IMO is your best bet to really try out Gnome 3.2!

PS: It's Linux and OSS and shit so as always stuff is susceptible to change!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I recently started using Ubuntu a few months ago. I'm currently in an IT program at school, so I duel booted my laptop with Ubuntu 11.04 (other partition has Windows 7).

I haven't really done much in Ubuntu, but I'm liking that it's faster and generally has less problems than Windows does.

I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a desktop-note/sticky program to use in Ubuntu? So far I've found Xpad, but I'm not really liking it much -- looking for something a bit neater. Suggestions?

Also, any good places to look out for general tips/tutorials about things in Ubuntu? Thanks!

peakish

Andrex said:
Sweet thanks guys, should be great. :)
It really should be great, the Shell aside I'm really looking forward to their Documents software (no idea if it'll make it to 3.2 though) and to see how they'll create their integrated experience.

Haziqonfire said:
I recently started using Ubuntu a few months ago. I'm currently in an IT program at school, so I duel booted my laptop with Ubuntu 11.04 (other partition has Windows 7).

I haven't really done much in Ubuntu, but I'm liking that it's faster and generally has less problems than Windows does.

I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a desktop-note/sticky program to use in Ubuntu? So far I've found Xpad, but I'm not really liking it much -- looking for something a bit neater. Suggestions?

Also, any good places to look out for general tips/tutorials about things in Ubuntu? Thanks!
I think Ubuntu still ships with Tomboy, a note program that's quite good.

Vanillalite

peakish said:
I think Ubuntu still ships with Tomboy, a note program that's quite good.

Tomboy would be my recommendation as well.

I'd also highly suggest following the website OmgUbuntu to follow Ubuntu news! It updates daily, and they generally have some decent articles on just what's happening in the world of Canonical, Ubuntu, and Linux in general.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:
Tomboy would be my recommendation as well.

I'd also highly suggest following the website OmgUbuntu to follow Ubuntu news! It updates daily, and they generally have some decent articles on just what's happening in the world of Canonical, Ubuntu, and Linux in general.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll tinker around with it.

I've been viewing OMGUbuntu for a while now as well, though I was looking for more tutorial type things. I found this, but I'm not sure if it's any good -- Full Circle Magazine. I've been trying to look up a place that has good tutorials for learning to code in Python, their tutorials are decent but I was wondering if anyone knew of another source perhaps?

PS - Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions :p. I want to eventually add more to the Open Source community.

Vanillalite

Haziqonfire said:
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll tinker around with it.

I've been viewing OMGUbuntu for a while now as well, though I was looking for more tutorial type things. I found this, but I'm not sure if it's any good -- Full Circle Magazine. I've been trying to look up a place that has good tutorials for learning to code in Python, their tutorials are decent but I was wondering if anyone knew of another source perhaps?

PS - Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions :p. I want to eventually add more to the Open Source community.

No your good. Sounds like you want more how to code tutorials which there are alot on linux based sites. You seem to need more programming tutorials rather than linux tutorials though. :p

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:
No your good. Sounds like you want more how to code tutorials which there are alot on linux based sites. You seem to need more programming tutorials rather than linux tutorials though. :p

Well, I prefer something in a Linux environment, it seems easier to program in Linux than it does in Windows.

Though, I'm mostly trying to learn more about Ubuntu in a general way, through programming/cmd line/neat tricks/tips, etc. lol.

I've become pretty comfortable with Compiz so far and customizing different aspects of the OS so far though. :p

Vanillalite

Haziqonfire said:
:eek: I haven't seen that. Thanks! :).

NP! I aim to please! :p

Puppy is my goto distro I have on hand that I use when shit fucks up for people, and I need Linux to fix things. So I'm downloading the latest version as we speak so I can have the most up to date version on hand! :p

Vanillalite

Oh yeah I forgot to post that I finally got an answer about my crazy Ubuntu Alpha trouble in the official Ubuntu next IRC channel. Got someone today that linked me to a bug list on launch pad that also had a link to a 2nd bug page as well. They seemed similar if not just two bugs for the same thing honestly.

Either way they both seemed to describe my current issue in some way, and both creators had two different series ATI cards which confirmed to me I was in the right place as I have an ATI card as well. Plus both users reported 2d Unity works perfectly fine.

There isn't a fix yet however, but it has been flagged basically as mission critical. I just hope they figure out WTF is going on. One poster said he tried with and without the proprietary drivers with no luck, and one poster said they got through to turn off unity in compiz which fixed things. As soon as he turned it back on BOOM fucked to hell and back.

I just hope they get a fix done by time this shit goes beta in like 10 days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I got Chromium OS to boot on my netbook and another person's laptop! Unfortunately Wi-Fi didn't work so I couldn't get past the network select screen. :p It's the Vanilla build by Hexxeh, and I still don't know if I'm on board with booting someone else's Chromium OS but it's good for giving it a shot, I think. I'm about to boot it on my desktop, which uses a USB dongle for Wi-Fi, so I'm crossing my fingers for it to work. Third time's the charm eh? Funny thing is that I know Ubuntu has the right drivers by default for the dongle, but Windows 7 doesn't, and from what I understand Chromium is more related to Ubuntu than other Linux distros, so it may just work. Will report back soon!

Vanillalite

Andrex said:
I got Chromium OS to boot on my netbook and another person's laptop! Unfortunately Wi-Fi didn't work so I couldn't get past the network select screen. :p It's the Vanilla build by Hexxeh, and I still don't know if I'm on board with booting someone else's Chromium OS but it's good for giving it a shot, I think. I'm about to boot it on my desktop, which uses a USB dongle for Wi-Fi, so I'm crossing my fingers for it to work. Third time's the charm eh? Funny thing is that I know Ubuntu has the right drivers by default for the dongle, but Windows 7 doesn't, and from what I understand Chromium is more related to Ubuntu than other Linux distros, so it may just work. Will report back soon!

Why did I think you already had a CR-48?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brettison said:
Why did I think you already had a CR-48?

Because Google sent thousands of them out and I'm their #1 fan.

But they didn't see fit to send me one. :( They didn't even finish the darn program, didn't they only send out like half of what they said they would?

Oh well. I got a free Google TV (Logitech Revue) around the same time the Cr-48's were being sent out. So it's not all bad.

Anyways, I wasn't able to get it to boot on my desktop, but that may be because I wrote the CrOS image to an SD card, and have to use a SD-to-USB adapter. Ah well. One day! One day I will enjoy the fruits of Chrome OS.
LLShC.gif

Vanillalite

Andrex said:
Because Google sent thousands of them out and I'm their #1 fan.

But they didn't see fit to send me one. :( They didn't even finish the darn program, didn't they only send out like half of what they said they would?

Oh well. I got a free Google TV (Logitech Revue) around the same time the Cr-48's were being sent out. So it's not all bad.

Anyways, I wasn't able to get it to boot on my desktop, but that may be because I wrote the CrOS image to an SD card, and have to use a SD-to-USB adapter. Ah well. One day! One day I will enjoy the fruits of Chrome OS.
LLShC.gif

How the fuck did you get a free Logitech Revue? That would be pimp to get! I want one!

Then again I'd rather have the CR-48 than the Revue. My best friend got one of those things, and he wishes he would have saved his cash. LOL

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well the Honeycomb update is gonna be absolutely killer. Android Market apps on the big screen! Plus maybe Chrome apps if they don't gimp that for whatever reason.

How did I get it? I think I entered some dev thing, let me find the post... Ah, here we go.

It's still a nifty little device but it's sort of hamstrung for me since I don't have the right cables or connectors or adapters to make it interface with my DirecTV box. Still, it has the best web browsing experience on a TV I've used (though coming off the Wii, that wouldn't be hard.) They keyboard is fantastic.

But yeah. All eyes are on Honeycomb. When that hits Google TV is gonna blow up and be absolutely huge, I think.

Vanillalite

Problem is he bought his at launch, and it's sucked since. Granted the keyboard is descent, but still.

Anyways the new Puppy Linux is ball'n like well always. That is all!

PS: I swear I feel like sometimes I spam up our Linux thread. :( I just want to be so active in this thread and this thread to be active in general!

Vanillalite

Melhisedek said:
Do you guys use Unity or something else with Ubuntu?
I can't seem to decide :p

I used Unity with 11.04, but that was on my dekstop with no issues with my ATI card. So I personally had no real issues. Shits a little more taxing so if you have an older system I'd just install Xubuntu instead (which I tried out and also loved).

I like how Unity looks but I have no idea where everything is :) I'll need to tweak it a bit I guess. Started with minimize, close and maximize buttons :)

Vanillalite

Melhisedek said:
I like how Unity looks but I have no idea where everything is :) I'll need to tweak it a bit I guess. Started with minimize, close and maximize buttons :)
Look at my pics I posted above. 11.10 is gonna fix some of that in Unity with the categories and tabs and such. Also easiest way is to open anything is to just type in search. Honestly it's the same for every OS these days, but we are use to browsing the drop down/ pop up lists verses up just typing in the box. It's faster that way in say Win 7 as well.

At any rate alot of people problems with both Unity and Gnome Shell are gonna be addressed in their 1st major updates this fall. Granted some issue is it's just a big change, and people aren't use to it yet. Even if the new setup might be better we have the old setup ingrained in our brains. Just hard to get beyond that. :p

This fall should be another interesting time for Nix fans!

peakish

What do you guys use for monitoring disc space usage? I was just trying to find out if I had some huge unnecessary software lying around on my partitions and doing that in a file manager seemed painful.

I googled myself to the du command which seems like a good way to do it, but are there perhaps any easier ways?

Code:
$ du -hs /usr/*
297M	/usr/bin
274M	/usr/include
1,8G	/usr/lib
207M	/usr/lib32
3,3G	/usr/local
11M	/usr/sbin
2,3G	/usr/share
16M	/usr/src

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
peakish said:
What do you guys use for monitoring disc space usage? I was just trying to find out if I had some huge unnecessary software lying around on my partitions and doing that in a file manager seemed painful.

I googled myself to the du command which seems like a good way to do it, but are there perhaps any easier ways?

Code:
$ du -hs /usr/*
297M	/usr/bin
274M	/usr/include
1,8G	/usr/lib
207M	/usr/lib32
3,3G	/usr/local
11M	/usr/sbin
2,3G	/usr/share
16M	/usr/src
df -h does it for me. With Arch, there's a package called pacgraph which shows the disk space that every installed packages takes. There should be a similar utility available with your distro.

Here an example of the console output of the pacgraph -c command:

Code:
Autodetected deb.
Autodetected Arch.
Loading package info
Total size: 4312MB
214MB tucan
189MB neverball
141MB hplip
104MB boost
90MB inkscape
84MB linux
80MB xbmc
80MB chromium
79MB xulrunner
70MB gimp
66MB llvm
62MB samba
58MB sdlmame
41MB linux-headers
40MB bzr
37MB opera
37MB subtitleeditor
34MB kde-l10n-fr
32744kB nspluginwrapper
31469kB subversion
29748kB firefox-i18n-fr
28372kB vim-colorsamplerpack
26460kB cmake
24100kB gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins
23008kB yaourt
22510kB brasero
22012kB xorg-docs
21232kB xscreensaver
20048kB pathological
19384kB flashplugin-prerelease
18828kB ruby
17260kB xorg-fonts-100dpi
15968kB xorg-fonts-75dpi
15904kB gvfs
15772kB handbrake
15623kB xbindkeys
15244kB cups
15224kB audacity
15154kB man-pages
14832kB live-media
13516kB git
12604kB mkvmerge-gui
12560kB elinks
12176kB xorg-server
11460kB kde-meta-kdeutils
10976kB lib32-db
10860kB mc
10676kB mercurial
10280kB filebot
9032kB p7zip
8312kB bsnes
7544kB dnsutils
7396kB i3-wm
7380kB kdebase-konqueror
7248kB smplayer
7156kB desmume-svn
7068kB kdebase-kwrite
7004kB fbreader
6908kB doxygen
6476kB muttng
6132kB libgpod
6036kB gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
5872kB mpd
5684kB mednafen
5680kB ssnes-git
5600kB ttf-ms-fonts
5236kB calc
5052kB projectm
5016kB tpu
4804kB initscripts
4276kB ledger
4236kB lib32-nss
4024kB alsa-utils
3928kB xcursor-themes
3840kB linuxdcpp
3692kB yasm
3596kB clucene
3530kB gftp
3448kB xfsprogs
3316kB elfutils
3272kB transmission-cli
3132kB terminus-font
3116kB rrdtool
3028kB gnomad2
2972kB easytag
2860kB gqview
2844kB rxvt-unicode
2700kB gecko-mediaplayer
2652kB obexfs
2588kB irssi
2548kB sonata
2300kB kde-meta-kdeadmin
2200kB autoconf
2116kB ttf-liberation
2028kB grub
1932kB privoxy
1900kB python2-distribute
1896kB bison
1848kB ranger-git
1824kB automake
1816kB sudo
1784kB comix
1772kB libgsf
1712kB gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins
1692kB bmpanel2
1636kB python-mako
1628kB xorg-server-utils
1624kB ntp
1596kB imake
1568kB namcap
1560kB youtube-viewer
1540kB wmii-hg
1521kB nano
1460kB oxygen-gtk
1452kB xorg-server-devel
1424kB ntfsprogs
1400kB customizable-weather-plasmoid
1368kB syslog-ng
1348kB nasm
1329kB xarchiver
1320kB make
1316kB kdemultimedia-kmix
1316kB kdebase-konsole
1304kB lib32-curl
1300kB lib32-mpg123
1264kB rp-pppoe
1256kB xf86-video-ati-git
1252kB archlinux-artwork
1240kB libvncserver
1176kB abcde
1144kB linux-atm
1096kB asciidoc
1044kB xterm
1040kB reiserfsprogs
1036kB jfsutils
1008kB mupen64plus-video-rice-hg
1008kB mdadm
920kB offlineimap
920kB flex
840kB gweled
804kB wpa_actiond
800kB mlocate
772kB utimer
732kB smooth-tasks
720kB dictd
684kB xvba-sdk
668kB mirage
632kB luakit
628kB ncmpcpp
600kB portaudio
584kB moc
556kB driconf
552kB raptor1
540kB xorg-apps
540kB rsync
528kB zip
508kB cryptsetup
504kB gopreload
504kB cloog-ppl
492kB kdebase-plasma
468kB uswsusp-git
460kB heirloom-mailx
456kB pmount
456kB nfoview
452kB netcfg
452kB lib32-lcms
440kB qtfm
412kB qtcurve-gtk2
408kB feh
404kB tmux
376kB pmus-git
372kB jdownloader
328kB netkit-bsd-finger
316kB esound
312kB kdebase-kdepasswd
304kB wireless_tools
304kB gifsicle
300kB iputils
284kB typespeed
284kB tcp_wrappers
284kB logrotate
268kB alsa-plugins
264kB kdebase-kfind
240kB cpufrequtils
236kB opencl-headers
228kB less
228kB bc
220kB mupen64plus-video-arachnoid-hg
220kB gperf
212kB fakeroot
208kB hdparm
208kB ethtool
196kB xorg-twm
192kB dwb-hg
180kB xorg-xkb-utils
172kB pycp-git
168kB snespurify
168kB htop
164kB xdotool
156kB mpc
148kB preload
144kB patch
144kB id3
136kB youtube-dl
136kB bin86
132kB dash
128kB mpdscribble
124kB kdemultimedia-mplayerthumbs
120kB vimprobable2-git
120kB gtkperf
120kB at
116kB transmission-remote-cli-git
116kB libdvdcss
108kB mupen64plus-rsp-hle-hg
104kB zathura
100kB xorg-xinit
100kB linux-wbfs-manager
100kB lib32-libsasl
96kB ttf-inconsolata
96kB pacman-color
92kB xorg-xfontsel
92kB kdebase-kdialog
92kB jumanji-git
84kB uptimed
84kB ed
84kB automoc4
80kB ncdu
80kB iftop
80kB gcolor2
76kB pkg-config
76kB pacgraph
76kB iperf
76kB id3v2
72kB xcompmgr
68kB xf86driproto
68kB wol
68kB vbetool
64kB xf86-input-mouse
64kB pcmciautils
64kB kdemultimedia-ffmpegthumbs
56kB mupen64plus-input-sdl-hg
52kB scrot
52kB mupen64plus-ui-console-hg
48kB weather
48kB gtk-chtheme
44kB transset
44kB time
44kB dmenu
40kB xsel
40kB xf86-input-keyboard
40kB xclip
40kB numlockx
36kB xf86-video-vesa
36kB sxiv-git
32kB urlview
32kB lsdvd
28672B vdpauinfo
28672B statnot
28672B slurm
28672B packer
28672B mtpfs
28672B id3ed
28672B devmon
28672B bashmount
24576B lxsplit
24576B libtxc_dxtn
24576B id3tool
24576B gen-init-cpio
20480B ttyload
20480B tty-clock
20480B mupen64plus-audio-sdl-hg
16384B unclutter
12288B pbget
8192B aurvote
4096B radeon-initrd
4096B imgurbash

peakish

Vic said:
df -h does it for me. With Arch, there's a package called pacgraph which shows the disk space that every installed package takes. There should be a similar utility available with your distro.

Here an example of the console output of the pacgraph -c command:
Oh, I never heard of that program before, it should come in handy. Thanks!

In other news, I finally beat Dosbox and got sound to work in it! Learned a lot about MIDI in doing it as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm is it possible to write that Fedora live CD image to a USB stick? Usually there's a dedicated USB version...

Tworak

Tworak said:
doesn't even boot in my vmware player. good job whoever is at fault.
looks like it's EasyInstall (or whatever it's called) being silly. DVD fails but netinst seems to work fine. well, kind of fine.

alphas.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Running the Fedora 16 alpha right now. Smooth as heck! I love it. GNOME 3 > Unity for sure. Only problem, and this is a problem for all Linux, is fonts. I need my Windows fonts. :( Ubuntu has an easy way to grab them from the Software Center, trying to locate the equivalent for Fedora is a bit harder...

Chrome in GNOME is kinda funny. Back/forwards/stop stand out a bit more. Thanks to sync it took 5 seconds for almost everything to transfer over. I wish Chrome OS worked on my desktop, would love to give that a spin too.

It picked up my Wi-Fi dongle (so maybe it's just Linux that has the drivers for it -- Windows 7 didn't) and Microsoft Bluetooth mouse too. :p Although it doesn't recognize that middle clicking on a page means to scroll...

For some reason when I tried the F15 live CD I don't remember it being this slick. Window overview, workspaces, the semi-dock, and even the black bar at the top (whatever it's called) all come together in a very cohesive and pleasing way. I'm having way too much fun going into the overview and making workspaces.

It's really something else. I might wait until Fedora 17 if I do decide to switch, but I'm actually really really excited for when that day comes. My only complaint is the apparent lack of a Software Center analogue, and I'm still not sold on how you access all your applications (the Windows/Applications toggle doesn't really work as well conceptually as the rest of the shell.) And I also have to say I'm still also not crazy about the merging of running tasks and program pinning, but that's less of an issue in Fedora for some reason. I absolutely hate it in OS X and in Ubuntu but I'm more OK with it in Windows 7 and Fedora.

To sum it up in one word: elegant.

Anyways, pics, just because.

peakish

Andrex said:
Running the Fedora 16 alpha right now. Smooth as heck! I love it. GNOME 3 > Unity for sure. Only problem, and this is a problem for all Linux, is fonts. I need my Windows fonts. :( Ubuntu has an easy way to grab them from the Software Center, trying to locate the equivalent for Fedora is a bit harder...
MS fonts are non-free so Fedora doesn't ship with them at all in their repositories. I thought RPMFusion would carry them but apparently not. Here's a guide here for getting them (and improving rendering in general). I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it.

http://fedoraunity.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
peakish said:
MS fonts are non-free so Fedora doesn't ship with them at all in their repositories. I thought RPMFusion would carry them but apparently not. Here's a guide here for getting them (and improving rendering in general). I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it.

http://fedoraunity.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts

Sweet, thanks!

Any word on if Fedora is gonna have their own Software Center? Seems to be all the rage nowadays (was Ubuntu the first of all the desktop OS's?)

Vanillalite

Andrex said:
Sweet, thanks!

Any word on if Fedora is gonna have their own Software Center? Seems to be all the rage nowadays (was Ubuntu the first of all the desktop OS's?)

Most all of the distros had repositories, and most have had a GUI version for a while. Ubuntu appeared to be the 1st to move to a Software Center. For a while they actually have had the regular GUI version of their repository called Synaptic running along side of their Software Center. Synaptic actually had more files and such, but wasn't setup to really push apps like an appstore. Canonical actually is doing a rehaul of their Software Center look which if they can stay on schedule should make 11.10. Once that rehaul is out I think they plan on dropping Synaptic (which has been slightly controversial).

On a side note Ubuntu 11.10 aka Oneiric Ocelot is now running virtually perfect for me. The ATI regular Unity bug that made logging in and using Oneiric virtually impossible (if you weren't in Unity 2d) got fixed this week in the updates. That was my only major bug.

I also had an issue with flash (flash issue in linux? noooo can't be lolololol), but I found a BADASS extension someone on the Ubuntu forums created for Firefox. It's called Flash-Aid and it basically has a wizard that runs and uninstalls all the random flash shit on your system and then installs whatever should be installed to currently work. Chrome said Flash was disabled, and FF said it wasn't installed. The software center wouldn't install flash either. However I used the FF extension, and boom the wizard cleaned shit up and installed a 64bit flash beta. Boom both FF and Chrome worked with flash! Oh and yeah and it installed 64 bit flash which is usually a separate pain in the ass issue, but the Flash-Aid plugin was fucking ball'n!

So I'm virtually bug free here in Ubuntu 11.10 going into the weekend. This is GREAT news seeing as how the schedule is for the Beta 1 to hit on Sept. 1st aka next Thursday! All of you Ubuntu haters can then download it and try it in virtual box or as a live cd so you can hate on the up and coming release early! :D :D :D

PS: BTW for Markot who said the font always looks tiny in Linux Chrome has a slider in the Font settings for the Standard Font that can be moved from Tiny to Huge. If you think it's small just adjust the slider a bit and boom done.

Vanillalite

Back with another set of Server questions for hardcore Linux GAF! I don't remember what number I'm on so I'll start over. :p

1) How do I purge old kernels?

my grub menu shows me a 2.36.10 and a 2.36.8 upon booting up. I figure I never use .8 so is there a way to just get rid of it easily?

2) Sometimes when I do sudo apt-get upgrade some stuff doesn't upgrade?

Like it'll say 3 files not upgrade or something. Any reason why it does this or how to get around it? If I go into apptitude normally I can just install them from there. Why won't it work from my command line?

peakish

Returning to my disc usage question, I found an interesting program in ncdu, a simple ncurses interface for du. Pretty cool. I love ncurses stuff soooo much.

ncduskkc.png

Chinese Electric Batman said:
Does anyone know anything about when/if fglrx will be supported in GNOME3?
I heard something about the 11.9 drivers but can't remember where I read that or if it was more than speculation, sorry... I hope it'll be fixed quickly since my next desktop probably will be AMD powered.

Vanillalite

BTW Ubuntu Alpha broke for me again using regular Unity. Unity 2d works fine like always though. Beginning to think Unity 2d is where it's at.....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there an easy way to axe Unity in the new Ubuntu? I heard the architecture is GNOME 3.

Hi LinuxGAF, I'm currently a Mac user, but I installed Ubuntu and FreeBSD on partitions on and external hard drive of mine with unetbootin, and then installed rEFIt on my laptop, but whenever I try to boot into Linux with rEFIt, it doesn't work. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Top Bottom