• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dineren said:
It's safe to remove. You ended up compiling Eclipse? Did the version in synaptic not work out for you?

No I didn't compile Eclipse, the version I downloaded could be just... run, so I did that.

The version in the Ubuntu repositories has a glitch that won't let me add the ADT plugin for Android.

Dineren

Banned
Andrex said:
No I didn't compile Eclipse, the version I downloaded could be just... run, so I did that.

The version in the Ubuntu repositories has a glitch that won't let me add the ADT plugin for Android.

Yeah the bug is fixed in the version in Synaptic. I have no idea why they have different versions in the two package managers that come with Ubuntu, but they do. You can find synaptic under System->Administration if you hadn't seen it before.

itxaka

Defeatist
Andrex said:
Thanks, this worked. However I had to do it twice because the first time "your intltools is too old" or something, so I sudo apt-get install intltools. Learning Linux everyday. =P

Can I delete the extracted folder, or do I have to keep it around? I wish the Ubuntu Software Center had the most up to date versions, then I could just use that instead of doing all this downloady, extracty nonsense for Eclipse and Transmageddon.

You can still remove the package you intalled and add Javintus ppa: https://launchpad.net/~janvitus/+archive/ppa

That would make much more easy to update transmageddon, with a simple apt-get update && apt-get upgrade or just via the update-manager on the desktop.

I would recommend doing this, so if a new version comes out in a few weeks you dont have to remove and compile it again :D

EDIT: the exact command to add it via terminal is:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:janvitus/ppa

Or via the add repositories graphical tool add this lines:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/janvitus/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/janvitus/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dineren said:
Yeah the bug is fixed in the version in Synaptic. I have no idea why they have different versions in the two package managers that come with Ubuntu, but they do. You can find synaptic under System->Administration if you hadn't seen it before.

Shit like that makes me wonder why the have two package managers. I think it just makes things that much more confusing to the end user.

Dineren

Banned
Looks like the software center actually just fails to install the package needed for plugins (eclipse-pde), really bizarre, I would've thought they would install the same packages if you select the same application. I seem to recall that they were planning on eventually removing synaptic once the software center was more fully developed. Hope it's a long way off, synaptic is far too convenient right now to get rid of.

Vanillalite

I don't disagree in that it would suck to get rid of the one that's well really working at the present time, but having two software sources has to be redundant for some users.

Krelian

Andrex said:
Can I delete the extracted folder, or do I have to keep it around? I wish the Ubuntu Software Center had the most up to date versions, then I could just use that instead of doing all this downloady, extracty nonsense for Eclipse and Transmageddon.
You can delete it. Though you may need it again if you want to remove the program ("make uninstall").

I would recommend "checkinstall" for software that isn't in the repositories. Instead of the last step ("make install") you would run "checkinstall" that creates a .deb file (or rpm or tgz depending on your distro), making for an easy uninstall process.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Krelian said:
You can delete it. Though you may need it again if you want to remove the program ("make uninstall").

I would recommend "checkinstall" for software that isn't in the repositories. Instead of the last step ("make install") you would run "checkinstall" that creates a .deb file (or rpm or tgz depending on your distro), making for an easy uninstall process.

Oh sweet, I was actually trying to do that last night (one of the many ways I resorted to...)

Hey people quick question.

I'm thinking of buying a netbook with Windows 7 on it. However I wonder if I buy a new netbook that comes with Windows 7 if I could sell the Windows 7 disc for new?

Or is Windows already preinstalled on the computer? Sorry but it's been so long since I brought a PC (only built them or brought a Mac since 1999).

Vanillalite

Can anyone running Ubuntu ever get the dang Ubuntu One to actually sync? I decided to try that out and create an account tonight. Yet for the life of me I can't get any gosh damn thing to sync to my fuck'n folder. Shit is janky as hell. Am I the only one that has issue with this wack shit? :lol

Keep that on the list as something to improve upon Canonical along with the rest of your cloud shit for 10.10.

Dineren

Banned
Brettison said:
Can anyone running Ubuntu ever get the dang Ubuntu One to actually sync? I decided to try that out and create an account tonight. Yet for the life of me I can't get any gosh damn thing to sync to my fuck'n folder. Shit is janky as hell. Am I the only one that has issue with this wack shit? :lol

Keep that on the list as something to improve upon Canonical along with the rest of your cloud shit for 10.10.

I've been able to sync, but it's definitely buggy as hell, most of the time it fails. I just use dropbox. Hopefully they'll have it working by the next release.

Vanillalite

Dineren said:
I've been able to sync, but it's definitely buggy as hell, most of the time it fails. I just use dropbox. Hopefully they'll have it working by the next release.

Got my shit to sync after a reboot when I woke up this morning. I set it to try and sync while I ate some cereal. Just checked and it looked like it worked. Not sure what changed, but oh well it worked!

I am wondering what the difference between this and drop box is beyond just easy integration into the OS.

At anyrate the one thing that sucks is MS gives away 25 gigs on their sky drive service, but you can't sync your shit. Services like drop box lets you sync, but you only get 2 gigs for free. Everything else is pay for 50 gigs. Granted I understand why. A guy can wish for more free storage though. Right? LOL :lol :D

Dineren, thanks for your help earlier.

Unfortunately, it didn't work so I completely gave up on that and then finally gave in and put the hard drive into a modern laptop and installed Debian on it.

It's a little slow considering the old hardware, and I'd honestly rather use something more lightweight, but using fluxbox instead of gnome speeds it up a bit.

A few questions, though:

I have a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA Wireless Card. It will work with this computer, but apparently I need to use ndiswrapper to use it, and I've followed four different tutorials on how to get ndiswrapper to find the card and none of them are working. Can you help me out?

Also, can anyone show me how to get the Iron browser running?
I downloaded it from the second link here: http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1031 but I can't seem to figure out how to actually open the program.

M3Freak

Banned
Don't mean to be a twit, but I really dislike Upoontu (yep, that's what I call it). I'm a Red Hat guy, so I'm all for RHEL, Fedora and CentOS. Well, only RHEL and Fedora (RHEL's upstream) are actual Red Hat distros. CentOS is a separate community driven project, but is 100% binary compatible with RHEL.

I use Fedora everyday as my main desktops at home, and at work. My servers either run CentOS (majority) or RHEL (minority).

I'd explain why I prefer Red Hat or Red Hat based distros over Upoontu, but I'm too sleepy. Maybe I'll remember to explain tomorrow. Yes, I know...a colossal fail.

itxaka

Defeatist
M3Freak said:
Don't mean to be a twit, but I really dislike Upoontu (yep, that's what I call it). I'm a Red Hat guy, so I'm all for RHEL, Fedora and CentOS. Well, only RHEL and Fedora (RHEL's upstream) are actual Red Hat distros. CentOS is a separate community driven project, but is 100% binary compatible with RHEL.

I use Fedora everyday as my main desktops at home, and at work. My servers either run CentOS (majority) or RHEL (minority).

I'd explain why I prefer Red Hat or Red Hat based distros over Upoontu, but I'm too sleepy. Maybe I'll remember to explain tomorrow. Yes, I know...a colossal fail.

Meh I don't know. I don't like a bit how much shit red Hat install by default. The distro is awesome, don't get me wrong I really like it(I got the RHCE ) but there are a lot of things they could improve.

Fedora...meh, never been a fan. Still one of the best distros and one of the best platforms for experimental tools (NetworkManager I luv you)

Vanillalite

Somehow I think M3freak got owned by the fact that they locked off topic so they couldn't actually respond! :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Giving up on Linux for my desktop. Booting up is kind of key to the whole experience. Loved what I used of it, though. Especially the Gwibber integration.

Vanillalite

Andrex said:
Giving up on Linux for my desktop. Booting up is kind of key to the whole experience. Loved what I used of it, though. Especially the Gwibber integration.

That sucks, but I don't blame ya. Sometimes shit just doesn't line up right, and at some point it's just time to move on.

Cheeto

Andrex said:
Wait, what exactly did you have a problem with?

Eklesp

Flying_Phoenix said:
Has anybody here used Jolicloud?

If so how is it?

I used it when a beta was first released. It felt very tacked on. It was Ubuntu Netbook Remix with Jolicloud's online apps. I didn't really care for it.

Dineren

Banned
Vipershark said:
Dineren, thanks for your help earlier.

Unfortunately, it didn't work so I completely gave up on that and then finally gave in and put the hard drive into a modern laptop and installed Debian on it.

It's a little slow considering the old hardware, and I'd honestly rather use something more lightweight, but using fluxbox instead of gnome speeds it up a bit.

A few questions, though:

I have a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA Wireless Card. It will work with this computer, but apparently I need to use ndiswrapper to use it, and I've followed four different tutorials on how to get ndiswrapper to find the card and none of them are working. Can you help me out?

Also, can anyone show me how to get the Iron browser running?
I downloaded it from the second link here: http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1031 but I can't seem to figure out how to actually open the program.

I don't use ndiswrapper, so I'm not sure what the usual hang ups are. Which steps are you having issues with?

I downloaded the version you did as well as the 64bit version of Iron Browser and was able to execute iron after extracting without doing any additional work. What error messages in particular are you getting?

The HP Mini 210 has a weird glitch in Linux in which putting two fingers on the touchpad results in the cursor bouncing around everywhere. :(

I fixed the problem but now edge scrolling is gone.

Anyway I've tried Ubuntu Netbook and Jolicloud and I love them both. But i think Jolicloud is much better aesthetically.

Krelian

Flying_Phoenix said:
The HP Mini 210 has a weird glitch in Linux in which putting two fingers on the touchpad results in the cursor bouncing around everywhere. :(

I fixed the problem but now edge scrolling is gone.
I have the same problem with my Dell Mini 10v. How did you fix it?

Jesus there's just problem after problem with Ubuntu. Now it freezes when I boot it up.

So far I'm really not getting Linux's hype on stability at all.

Going to install CentOS later to see what it's all about.

panda21

what hardware are you people having ubuntu not boot running it on?

also linux's stability mainly refers to what you get if you just run the kernel. if you installed something like debian stable and just booted into a text console then you probably never see it crash ever.

The actual desktop software (kde/gnome) used to be buggy as hell but is getting much better recently.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My hardware was a standard Dell Inspiron 5315, with an AMD Athlon 64x2 CPU which came with it. The whole thing actually is "stock," the only thing is I have a newer graphics card in it. Dunno what it is though...

Krelian

Andrex said:
My hardware was a standard Dell Inspiron 5315, with an AMD Athlon 64x2 CPU which came with it. The whole thing actually is "stock," the only thing is I have a newer graphics card in it. Dunno what it is though...
Have you tried any other distros? Maybe you have more luck with others and it's an Ubuntu issue.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Krelian said:
Have you tried any other distros? Maybe you have more luck with others and it's an Ubuntu issue.

I'm giving up for now. Maybe when I get a new computer and I'm not so reliant on getting onto the web.

If anything this experience gives me a greater appreciation for what Chrome OS is trying to do. It just works. :lol

My God I had no idea just how shitty netbooks are! I mean I heard stories but this thing is a piece of shit. It can't even play Hulu videos at an acceptable framerate! As soon as good Android tablets start releasing (think Motorola Droid) I'm selling this thing ASAP!

Krelian said:
That doesn't solve it for me. Seems to be related to your right click problem anyway, I was talking about the bouncing cursor problem. Thanks anyway.

I talked to one of the developers and they said that they were currently implementing multitouch for Jolicloud. So in short they're working on it.

Andrex said:
If anything this experience gives me a greater appreciation for what Chrome OS is trying to do. It just works. :lol

Amen.

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:
Jesus there's just problem after problem with Ubuntu. Now it freezes when I boot it up.

I wouldn't recommend using CentOS, and less on a netbook as the thing is kind of overbloated and slow. In the end CentOS is more oriented for servers. Plus the packages are always old as hell (older=more stable).

For example, NetworkManager doesn't even come preinstalled on CentOS. Wireless configuration and drivers are horrible. Package management on a Desktop is horrible.

If you want to test the stability, install it and you will see that you can throw almost anything at it and it will be stable, but you will find a lot of problems to configure everything.

Regarding ubuntu stability, as usual with Linux is a matter of luck. I am running 10.04 on an Aspire 3690G and a eeepc1005ha without any problems. I am also using the 10.10 alpha on both of them and it is surprisingly stable for an alpha, but I have also experienced the random errors and problems for no reason on older versions.

Shame to hear that you guys have problems, but you can always come back to linux in a time and try it again :)

If anything this experience gives me a greater appreciation for what Chrome OS is trying to do. It just works

It works on the harware it's designed to work on. On other hardware, not so much. In the end it's a custom linux kernel + barebones desktop + chrome browser so it still depends on the main linux development to work.

I haven't been lucky with chromeOS, unfortunately :(

gblues

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:

CentOS is just a free (as in $$$) clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux. It's an awesome distro, but it's not oriented for desktops. I use it on my VPSes and at home via VirtualBox. You absolutely will need to know how to do things with the command line, and you aren't going to get bells and whistles because it's about 2 years behind "cutting edge."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
itxaka said:
It works on the harware it's designed to work on. On other hardware, not so much. In the end it's a custom linux kernel + barebones desktop + chrome browser so it still depends on the main linux development to work.

That's what I meant. Chrome OS devices should be rock solid.

Okay fixed the problem with Ubuntu Netbook Remix, the OS is fine now! :D

gblues said:
CentOS is just a free (as in $$$) clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux. It's an awesome distro, but it's not oriented for desktops. I use it on my VPSes and at home via VirtualBox. You absolutely will need to know how to do things with the command line, and you aren't going to get bells and whistles because it's about 2 years behind "cutting edge."

Can I work around it enough as a newbie to just start running a competent server?

itxaka said:
I wouldn't recommend using CentOS, and less on a netbook as the thing is kind of overbloated and slow. In the end CentOS is more oriented for servers. Plus the packages are always old as hell (older=more stable).

For example, NetworkManager doesn't even come preinstalled on CentOS. Wireless configuration and drivers are horrible. Package management on a Desktop is horrible.

If you want to test the stability, install it and you will see that you can throw almost anything at it and it will be stable, but you will find a lot of problems to configure everything.

Well I am planning to use it for servers. I've downloaded the Live CD 2 and it closes down when it boots. :/

itxaka said:
Regarding ubuntu stability, as usual with Linux is a matter of luck. I am running 10.04 on an Aspire 3690G and a eeepc1005ha without any problems. I am also using the 10.10 alpha on both of them and it is surprisingly stable for an alpha, but I have also experienced the random errors and problems for no reason on older versions.

Shame to hear that you guys have problems, but you can always come back to linux in a time and try it again :)

Well I fixed the problem and now it's fine. Though there is some stuff that still needs ironing out.

itxaka said:

It's out for download already? Where?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cheeto said:
Man, I'm still confused... with a distro like that everything should have just worked. Are you using any kind of special hardware?

Like I said, no. What's weird is the Live CD always worked 100%. It could have been my graphics card, I guess, that's the only part I changed from what Dell sent me.

itxaka

Defeatist
That's what I meant. Chrome OS devices should be rock solid.

Oh yeah, that would rock. Linux + config/patches only for that devices = Smooth and fast system with over the top stability.

Can I work around it enough as a newbie to just start running a competent server?

If you know how to work your way on command line sure. If you expect it to do via the desktop....kind of. Be sure to install all the "system-config-*" that gets you a few gui tools for web config, dns config and such. Still the thing is a bit rough.

Well I am planning to use it for servers. I've downloaded the Live CD 2 and it closes down when it boots. :/

There is a live cd for CentOS? wow, never thought of it. Still you are better getting virtualbox and the netinstall image to try first, see how it is and learn a bit. I would never recommend getting a almost out-of-date distro oriented to servers in a live cd format :D

Well I fixed the problem and now it's fine. Though there is some stuff that still needs ironing out.

Good to hear! Let us know if you need any info for any problem you have ;)

It's out for download already? Where?

You can build it yourself, as I do from time to time:
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/building-chromium-os

I'm pretty sure there are vmdk (vmware) files around the web to test it on a virtual machine, but I rather test it myself on actual hardware.

panda21

Andrex said:
Like I said, no. What's weird is the Live CD always worked 100%. It could have been my graphics card, I guess, that's the only part I changed from what Dell sent me.

if you reinstall (and maybe set your home folder to a separate partition to save losing stuff if you ever decide to change) and don't set your sources.list to a previous ubuntu release i would be amazed it if didnt work :p if the live cd works the install should work

I installed one of those Chrome OS virtualization thingies when they first came out. It booted. Had to log in with my Google account. It looked like Chrome.

Nothing special or exciting really, although I guess it'll be pretty awesome on a real machine. :)

Top Bottom