• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

itxaka said:
No idea about the update-manager issues, I guess it only affects the Netbook edition?

When ever I use the GUI version of Update Manager it freezes, but when I do it via terminal it's fine. It's highly annoying. Also just a bunch of other weird shit happened in Ubuntu but it's 3:47 am here and I'm tired and don't feel like explaining. :lol

EDIT - YES! Page 4!!! :D

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Flying_Phoenix said:
Oh shit, I never knew that! :O

Hope they add dual finger scrolling/multitouch and fix the huge problems with the update manager and software freezing under netbooks.

I loved Ubuntu Netbook edition, but it just had to many problems.

Any info or rumors on new features or it doesn't work that way?

Ubuntu 10.10 is coming on 10/10/10 aka October 10th 2010... they wanted the cool date despite the fact that it cut dev time short by a couple of weeks. Someone did the math and said they could make the date though!

Check out the OmgUbuntu Blog that was also referenced on the 1st page. They have a tab just for blog posts on 10.10 news stuff!

Also has anyone checked out Burg? It's this graphical boot thing that goes over Grub? I didn't want to mess with it at first despite sounding cool, but now someone made a Burg Manager which does everything for you. So I might check it out now!

Burg Manager

127497-1.png

Vanillalite

I know it's a big change as everyone has said for the netbook version, but I've yet to hear if anyone actually LIKES this design better than the old. Everyone's still just talking about the fact that it got redesigned rather than if they actually like it.

Brettison said:
I know it's a big change as everyone has said for the netbook version, but I've yet to hear if anyone actually LIKES this design better than the old. Everyone's still just talking about the fact that it got redesigned rather than if they actually like it.

I think it looks great.

Vanillalite

Flying_Phoenix said:
That's it I think I am really done with Ubuntu. There's just so many bugs and design quirks I can't deal with.

You talking general Ubuntu or are you talking the netbook remix? Are you new to Linux? Switching to a different distro? Forgoing Linux all together when you drop Ubuntu?

Brettison said:
You talking general Ubuntu or are you talking the netbook remix? Are you new to Linux? Switching to a different distro? Forgoing Linux all together when you drop Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Just forgoing Ubuntu (I do have this thread after all. :p)

And I've gotten my toes wet with Linux.

I'm now
ironically
using Jolicloud.

Don't worry I'm not abandoning Linux. The community is just too damn good. Anyway Jolicloud 1.0 releasing this week! :D

Vanillalite

I actually don't blame you. Despite what the hardcore would say, I never saw a ground swell of love for the current Ubuntu netbook spin. Maybe the redesign will help.

While I know it's not the same thing, there's a reason Google saw an opening with Chrome OS. Not saying it'll work, but I've yet to see something that really perfectly suits a netbook yet.

So, Jolicloud 1.0 is finally rolling out, and it looks like it's not just a web launcher under UNR disguise anymore. I'm semi-hyped, anyone try it?

I'd like to add how awesome everyone in this thread has been. Helpful, cool, and calm. Just like every "noob" thread should be.

Brettison said:
I actually don't blame you. Despite what the hardcore would say, I never saw a ground swell of love for the current Ubuntu netbook spin. Maybe the redesign will help.

While I know it's not the same thing, there's a reason Google saw an opening with Chrome OS. Not saying it'll work, but I've yet to see something that really perfectly suits a netbook yet.

I've always had problems with Ubuntu with every computer I've used it on but 1 (out of 4). It's just buggy and not user friendly. I mean it has some nice ideas (Package Manager and Unified Software Store) but some are just ridiculous (permissions looked unless you have to navigate to the exact folder with nautilus...what?).

I can't wait for Chrome OS either. Windows 7 is pretty tight, and Microsoft should give themselves a HUGE pat on the back, but I just like "rooting for the underdog" so to speak.

Trip Warhawkins said:
So, Jolicloud 1.0 is finally rolling out, and it looks like it's not just a web launcher under UNR disguise anymore. I'm semi-hyped, anyone try it?

Right this second they are only rolling it out to those who have been with Jolicloud since the Alpha days. But very soon (like tomorrow or the next day soon) it will be available for the general public.

I'm under the Pre-Final and it's pretty good. To put it simple "it just works", it's simple and is very minimalistic. With the added updates it's much more snappy then it used to be, but still up to snuff (Windows 7 is still much more snappier).

So I'ḿ finally running Joli 1.0, and it looks super sweet. Sadly, it's basically the same thing as pre-final with a new coat of make-up (in fact, it gimps some of the features that I liked in pre-final, like categorized apps, now you have those but only int the store, not in your apps dashboard). I'll paste my impressions from the 'what OS are you using for your netbook' thread;

My fears are confirmed. Jolicloud 1.0 is still a communist middle man between a very stripped ubuntu and you. Altho' the dashboard is now HTML 5, the system is pretty much the same as the pre-final build. While very nice looking (and snappy I must say) the new dashboard UI (not OS UI) still lacks integration and cohesiveness in the most crucial levels.

You can browse local files from the dashboard, but clicking the Documents folder, for example, will pop up the regular UI. What's the point, then, in having a nice HTML 5 dashboard when it still commits the same crime Jolicloud has been criticized for: launchers, launchers, launchers.

This OS is clearly targeted at people who want the ease of use of the i-pad style of interface on their netbooks without having to know how to partition a drive. It's actually super simple to install. Jolicloud works, and I can see where they coming from (and appreciate their approach) but still needs a lot of work. If you need or want to have some sort of control over your machine and your software this isn't the OS you're looking for, but for a cloud based environment that simplifies the way you work it's very decent.

Trip Warhawkins said:
So I'ḿ finally running Joli 1.0, and it looks super sweet. Sadly, it's basically the same thing as pre-final with a new coat of make-up (in fact, it gimps some of the features that I liked in pre-final, like categorized apps, now you have those but only int the store, not in your apps dashboard). I'll paste my impressions from the 'what OS are you using for your netbook' thread;

My fears are confirmed. Jolicloud 1.0 is still a communist middle man between a very stripped ubuntu and you. Altho' the dashboard is now HTML 5, the system is pretty much the same as the pre-final build. While very nice looking (and snappy I must say) the new dashboard UI (not OS UI) still lacks integration and cohesiveness in the most crucial levels.

You can browse local files from the dashboard, but clicking the Documents folder, for example, will pop up the regular UI. What's the point, then, in having a nice HTML 5 dashboard when it still commits the same crime Jolicloud has been criticized for: launchers, launchers, launchers.

This OS is clearly targeted at people who want the ease of use of the i-pad style of interface on their netbooks without having to know how to partition a drive. It's actually super simple to install. Jolicloud works, and I can see where they coming from (and appreciate their approach) but still needs a lot of work. If you need or want to have some sort of control over your machine and your software this isn't the OS you're looking for, but for a cloud based environment that simplifies the way you work it's very decent.

Nice impressions. Guess I'll wait for Ubuntu 10.10.

Is Ubuntu 9.10 more suited for netbooks than 10.04? I notice a lot of people in the "What is your netbook OS?" thread replying with 9.10 but few with 10.04. Does it not have the glaring problems that I've found with it?

panda21

i have a netbook and to me the reason theres no satisfactory OS for them at the moment is more due to the fact that netbooks suck. no OS can make a tiny keyboard/trackpad in a tiny laptop comfortable to use.

the closest i got with mine was xmonad but even stuff like using a browser even with it full screen is a pain in the ass.

panda21 said:
i have a netbook and to me the reason theres no satisfactory OS for them at the moment is more due to the fact that netbooks suck. no OS can make a tiny keyboard/trackpad in a tiny laptop comfortable to use.

the closest i got with mine was xmonad but even stuff like using a browser even with it full screen is a pain in the ass.

Windows 7 starter works great.

Jolicloud is pretty good too. It's just the lack of dual scrolling that kills it.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is Ubuntu 9.10 more suited for netbooks than 10.04? I notice a lot of people in the "What is your netbook OS?" thread replying with 9.10 but few with 10.04. Does it not have the glaring problems that I've found with it?
I believe that's because the thread is quite old (it got dug up from a few months ago, I believe). Not sure though, haven't checked. But maybe 10.04 just wasn't out yet. :)

Linux_Ubuntu-NWM-0.7-leftclick.png

Hey guys, I'm on the latest Ubuntu and this little thing disappeared. I tried everything I could find to bring it back. Suggestions on IRC were just to run nm-applet which apparently is already running. I tried to kill -9 it and that still didn't work.

Any thoughts? I have no access while on Ubuntu so I gotta reboot before I try anything.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I've always had problems with Ubuntu with every computer I've used it on but 1 (out of 4). It's just buggy and not user friendly. I mean it has some nice ideas (Package Manager and Unified Software Store) but some are just ridiculous (permissions looked unless you have to navigate to the exact folder with nautilus...what?).
Same, everyone is like OH it works flawlessly you're doing it wrong. But my PC won't sleep with Ubuntu, it won't accept that I own a 4850 and support 1680x1050.. and now this network problem which was probably my own fault in all honesty.

tak

Visualante said:

Hey guys, I'm on the latest Ubuntu and this little thing disappeared. I tried everything I could find to bring it back. Suggestions on IRC were just to run nm-applet which apparently is already running. I tried to kill -9 it and that still didn't work.

Any thoughts? I have no access while on Ubuntu so I gotta reboot before I try anything.

Same, everyone is like OH it works flawlessly you're doing it wrong. But my PC won't sleep with Ubuntu, it won't accept that I own a 4850 and support 1680x1050.. and now this network problem which was probably my own fault in all honesty.
Assuming you still have the notification area on your gnome panel, you should double check that you haven't stopped the Network Manger from starting on startup. Go to Preferences -> Startup Applications and then make sure the Network Manger is marked to start on startup.

If it already is, then you'll need dive into the low level network systems for further troubleshooting; in other words, do a 'man ifconfig' and 'man iwconfig' in the command line and start checking the basics (ie if your system sees the network devices, etc...).

Some thoughts after toying with Jolicloud 1.0 for a while

+ Battery life improved noticeably
+ Very stable
+ Fast boot and shut down times
+ The majority of apps, while not native, are still pretty cool and the store serves as a guide to look-up software without taking a dive in the google pool
+ Out of the box functionality with most netbooks
+ Looks prettay

- Desktop mode gimped from pre-final build
- Different UI for File browsing
- Social feature still in diapers.
- Little control over the installation of Ubuntu-compatible software

Here's a response to my feedback from one of the team members

Jolicloud Team said:
The integration of folders and files into the launcher is a possibility, but nothing official has been said on the matter. But keep in mind that this is only the first version of the launcher, so it will improve with future releases.

The social aspect of Jolicloud is subject to the same changes and future evolution. So it will definitely get better as time goes by.

I like it, but I also dislike the lack of control. I would use it primarily (on my netbook) if not for that. Windows 7 starter is great, but the alerts and bloat-ware (OEM to blame I know), hidden services and processes running in the background, plus the no-changing-your theme-without-a-hack-thingy make me use it less than I'm forced to.

Trip Warhawkins said:
I like it, but I also dislike the lack of control. I would use it primarily (on my netbook) if not for that. Windows 7 starter is great, but the alerts and bloat-ware (OEM to blame I know), hidden services and processes running in the background, plus the no-changing-your theme-without-a-hack-thingy make me use it less than I'm forced to.

Once you delete the bloatware Windows 7 Starter works like a charm.

*Sigh* I just want my email for the upgrade already. :(

Though I have a few questions. These are my main problems with Ubuntu:

#1 Is there way to get two finger scrolling outside of going to the "Mouse" and clicking "Two Finger Scroll"? Mine is grayed out and I did it before but can't remember how.

#2 Is there something I can enter in the terminal to completely delete "Permissions" or have the "Permissions" for every folder set to me? I hate using nautilus for everything, and last time I tried to install Ubuntu it wasn't even there.

#3 Okay I lied this doesn't have to do with Ubuntu but are there any other "download through Windows" to install OS's other than Ubuntu and Jolicloud?

EDIT - Seems like Jolicloud is doing early upgrades.

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:
Once you delete the bloatware Windows 7 Starter works like a charm.

*Sigh* I just want my email for the upgrade already. :(

Though I have a few questions. These are my main problems with Ubuntu:

#1 Is there way to get two finger scrolling outside of going to the "Mouse" and clicking "Two Finger Scroll"? Mine is grayed out and I did it before but can't remember how.

#2 Is there something I can enter in the terminal to completely delete "Permissions" or have the "Permissions" for every folder set to me? I hate using nautilus for everything, and last time I tried to install Ubuntu it wasn't even there.

#3 Okay I lied this doesn't have to do with Ubuntu but are there any other "download through Windows" to install OS's other than Ubuntu and Jolicloud?

1# This should work for all synaptics touch devices: http://ubuntu-snippets.blogspot.com/2009/03/multi-touch-for-anyall-synaptics.html

2# Don't really understand it, do you mean have every folder in the entire system being available to write/delete from terminal in your current user? That would be highly unsecure.
Sudo is the way to do it. If you don't want to use sudo in front of every command you can always do a "sudo bash" so you will get a fake root command prompt that will give you temporal control over the whole system.

3# If you mean an app that dowloads and prepares a system to install you can use Unetbootin and Universal USB Installer

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:
For the trackpad problem: I remember trying that in the terminal and it not working.

For the privileges: How do I do "sudo-bash"?

open a terminal and just write sudo bash

bash is like the cmd on windows. With sudo bash you will be getting a terminal as superuser where you have ownership of the whole system. That is if I understanded your question correctly :)

For the touchpad, let me check further. I also got a synaptics touchpad so I will test it myself to see if indeed it works or there is any other solution to it :)

Flying_Phoenix said:
For the trackpad problem: I remember trying that in the terminal and it not working.

For the privileges: How do I do "sudo-bash"?
in terminal type

sudo -i
enter pass and press enter

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:
I says I can't save because no such folder exists.

Also the root thing worked perfectly. :) Thanks PetriP-TNT!

Then you have to create first the folder with "mkdir nameofthefolder"

/etc/hal/fdi/policy/

If you have /etc/hal/fdi you can create it with "sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/policy"

I'm gonna test it rigth now to see if it works or not :)

EDIT:

I already got the folder created so I guess you should have. Maybe your touchpad isn't a synaptic one?

Better instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1426782#3

panda21

Visualante said:

have you rebooted since it disappeared? unless you have been messing with some low level stuff its probably just that the panel thing crashed.

did you tell it to install non-free drivers so it will fetch the official ATI drivers instead of the open source ones? I have a 5770 working fine a 1680x1050, it was fine out of the box, it just popped up and asked me if I wanted the proprietary drivers and then it just worked...

panda21

Flying_Phoenix said:

no idea what you are talking about with the permissions, what do you mean?

itxaka said:
I already got the folder created so I guess you should have. Maybe your touchpad isn't a synaptic one?

Better instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1426782#3
I followed those instructions but the same thing happened, says folder doesn't exist. It's strange because I know for a fact I have a synaptics touchpad because it says so in Windows. I'm using an HP Mini 210 in cause you were wondering.

itxaka said:
Then you have to create first the folder with "mkdir nameofthefolder"

/etc/hal/fdi/policy/

If you have /etc/hal/fdi you can create it with "sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/policy"

I'm gonna test it rigth now to see if it works or not :)

Says no such directory. Also could you explain a bit more please. I mean more n00bish. I'm kind of new to these Linux terms

I remember getting two finger scrolling to work before but I completely forgot where I got the info from or how I did it. This looks like a possibility but I don't know where to copy and paste those files.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why do you want to always run as root? That's not a good thing. It's a security issue. I understand it gets annoying. But you have to understand things on Linux are not like Windows. They're different and there are reasons for that.

I used to think the way you did, always wanting instant root (or admin) access. Then I read the Beginning Ubuntu Linux book by Keir Thomas. It helps you understand why things are the way they are.

This is very embarrassing for me, I accidentally set the trackpad to be recognized as a PS mouse. It was from this post in the thread I visit for this issue. A poster in the thread told the OP to delete it, but they don't say how.

Bboy AJ said:
Why do you want to always run as root? That's not a good thing. It's a security issue. I understand it gets annoying. But you have to understand things on Linux are not like Windows. They're different and there are reasons for that.

I used to think the way you did, always wanting instant root (or admin) access. Then I read the Beginning Ubuntu Linux book by Keir Thomas. It helps you understand why things are the way they are.

I don't have people who screw around with my stuff. Security isn't really an issue for me. I can't see why it can't be more intuitive to change permissions, but maybe if you explain it to me I can understand.

tak

Running as root is generally a really bad idea. If you do it, it makes it a lot easier to do things you really don't want to do (rm -rf *) and things you really shouldn't do.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Flying_Phoenix said:
I don't have people who screw around with my stuff. Security isn't really an issue for me. I can't see why it can't be more intuitive to change permissions, but maybe if you explain it to me I can understand.
I don't have anyone that touches my computer either. But to understand why things are in Linux, you have to remove yourself a bit from how you expect things to work, coming from Windows. You never know what's really going on all the time. Yeah, you're the one running your PC. Right, but there exists malicious software or whatever that can do things you're unaware of.

Realize I'm new to Linux, too. So maybe someone else has a better explanation. Basically, not running as root helps you to not make dumb mistakes without knowing what you're doing is a big change. Since you're new to Linux, maybe it's a good idea to stay as a regular user. Simple things like moving a file into a protected directory may be more difficult than dragging.

But hey, why don't you learn to do it from the terminal? I mean, that's why I installed Linux. I wanted to learn a different way of using a PC.

I hope someone else can offer you better insight.

If you're serious about getting into Linux, I really recommend reading a beginner's book. It helps. I picked mine up from the library.

Flying_Phoenix said:
This is very embarrassing for me, I accidentally set the trackpad to be recognized as a PS mouse. It was from this post in the thread I visit for this issue. A poster in the thread told the OP to delete it, but they don't say how.

Anybody?

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:

on a terminal do a "gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe"

That will give you a text editor with the file you modified. Now you only have to delete "options psmouse proto=exps" from the file and save it, then reboot and it should be fixed.

And there on the post you linked it says the good steps on the 11th post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8989185&postcount=11

it's more complicated as you have to patch and compile the mouse driver but it will be better.

EDIT: I rather explain it better what you did in the first place.

The command "echo" will just repeat whatever you write after it, so if you write "echo I'm the best" the output will be "I'm the best".

In the first post, what they do is output "options psmouse proto=exp" and redirect it to a file with the operator ">". That means that all the output from the command on the left will be directed to the command/file on the right. Thus with the command:

"echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe"

you create a file called psmouse.modprobe with "options psmouse proto=exps" inside it. It will be same as creating a new document, writing that and saving it with the name psmouse.modprobe" in /etc/modprobe.d/

You can practice the redirections as they are really useful in command line. >, < and | are awesome.

You can test it with:

"echo I'm the best > whatiam.txt" and then open the text file with any editor.

For example, there is a command that shows the kernel messages. It's not used on a daily basis, but it's really useful to find problems with devices and such. The command is "dmesg". The only problem is, that the output is huge so the terminal is unable to show it all.

With "dmesg > dmesg.txt" you would be saving the output of the command to a text file so you can check it later on a text editor.

But there is more, you want to check it on the terminal line by line?

Then execute "dmesg | more"

Command line is the most powerful thing on linux :D

Regarding the security, root should never ever use the system at all. Ubuntu doesn't even have the root account enabled and it uses sudo as alternative. "super user do" (as in, do a command with another user's privileges)

Taking into account that root is the owner of the whole system, including devices like the HDD it's not a good practive to run always as him.

The best example is the rm command. rm deletes a file/folder without further confirmation. It's commonly used with the -R switch in order to be recursive. If one day you want to remove /home but miss and just write / you are deleting the whole system. Same for special files like configuration files, or programs.

Basically you are playing with fire.

Also, programs should never run with root privileges as they can open unwanted holes in the system. For example, if you run a web server, windows shares, a printer in the network and the software has a hole, if someone gains access he owns the sytem, he can do anything, including kicking you out of your pc. Programs and services are always run with their own user/group combination that is restricted or with a general, limited account that doesn't compromise the whole system if it fails.

Wow thanks itxaka. The good news is that my touchpad stops bouncing around.

The thing about that 11th post is that users in the thread say that it doesn't work with Ubuntu 10.04.

Got Two Finger Scroll to WORK!

This post didn't work before, but after the ps/2mouseprobe thing it does.

Itxaka it seems that it is ineffective once I hibernate, suspend my computer. With what you were saying before about terminal actions, is there a way to save this is a file in the terminal so it always repeats the process every time I start/wake my computer?

itxaka

Defeatist
Flying_Phoenix said:
Got Two Finger Scroll to WORK!

This post didn't work before, but after the ps/2mouseprobe thing it does.

Itxaka it seems that it is ineffective once I hibernate, suspend my computer. With what you were saying before about terminal actions, is there a way to save this is a file in the terminal so it always repeats the process every time I start/wake my computer?

Have you checked post 54 of the thread? It says how to save the settings so it works after suspend and hibenate :)

Sorry if i'm unable to help you further with it, I'm not really a fan of touchpads, I got mine disabled

panda21 said:
have you rebooted since it disappeared? unless you have been messing with some low level stuff its probably just that the panel thing crashed.

did you tell it to install non-free drivers so it will fetch the official ATI drivers instead of the open source ones? I have a 5770 working fine a 1680x1050, it was fine out of the box, it just popped up and asked me if I wanted the proprietary drivers and then it just worked...
Yes I rebooted several times. I'd say it wasn't low level shit, I probably just right clicked remove from panel by accident and there is some super well hidden checkbox to return it. And I've tried every driver I could find with no luck. Spent weeks at 1440x900 (on 9.10) until I eventually said fuck it and moved to 7.

Vanillalite

Visualante said:
Yes I rebooted several times. I'd say it wasn't low level shit, I probably just right clicked remove from panel by accident and there is some super well hidden checkbox to return it. And I've tried every driver I could find with no luck. Spent weeks at 1440x900 (on 9.10) until I eventually said fuck it and moved to 7.

This sounds dumb but have you tried just resetting gnome panels back to it's default?

Press ALT+F2 and in the run dialog box, type "gnome-terminal" then click on Run.

When the Terminal window opens, enter the command:
sudo apt-get install gconf2
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
Then enter:
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
And enter one more command:
pkill gnome-panel

Vanillalite

BTW big ups to Win 1.2 going stable. The change log is big as FUCK, and it fixes a fuck ton of shit. I recommend updating to 1.2 ASAP if you haven't already. It hit last week, and the update should have been pushed out to most everyone by now.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
BTW big ups to Win 1.2 going stable. The change log is big as FUCK, and it fixes a fuck ton of shit. I recommend updating to 1.2 ASAP if you haven't already. It hit last week, and the update should have been pushed out to most everyone by now.
12.000 changes. Steam + games run incredible on it and wow as well. Only game i cant run is football Manager 2010 ven when it should run out of the box

itxaka said:
12.000 changes. Steam + games run incredible on it and wow as well. Only game i cant run is football Manager 2010 ven when it should run out of the box
Well, it's not yet "incredible" on my side I'm afraid.

Just tried to play TF2, which is installed on my (NTFS) Windows drive. Mounted drive, ran Steam, everything worked great. Steam even does the wobbly windows / minimize animations, and has a tray icon, I've always been impressed with WINE pulling all that off. Oh, and those bottom right corner pop-ups about Friends and whatnot, they also work great.

Then I tried to run TF2. Got to the menu, edited graphics settings to my native resolution and put the rest on the lowest settings. It ran pretty well, although it definitely had more trouble than my Windows partition when it came to large areas (which is not very surprising). After a few minutes though, the sound stopped working (I had this problem twice in a row so I'm assuming it always does that).

Overall, it's playable and WINE has come a huuuuge way since I last tried it. However TF2 didn't run "great" yet and I'll still be booting Windows for this.

I'll try some of the tips from WINE's AppDB later this week, see how that goes...

Soon you won't need Wine to run STEAM. :)

itxaka said:
Have you checked post 54 of the thread? It says how to save the settings so it works after suspend and hibenate :)

Sorry if i'm unable to help you further with it, I'm not really a fan of touchpads, I got mine disabled

!?

I seriously did that before (it was what I had to do that I wanted to disable root-only privilages) and it didn't work. Now I do it again and...it works.

Strange, but I'm happy.

Thanks for all the help people. I finally can shink my teeth into Linux again for the first time in a month!:D

itxaka

Defeatist
Suitcase Test said:
Well, it's not yet "incredible" on my side I'm afraid.

Just tried to play TF2, which is installed on my (NTFS) Windows drive. Mounted drive, ran Steam, everything worked great. Steam even does the wobbly windows / minimize animations, and has a tray icon, I've always been impressed with WINE pulling all that off. Oh, and those bottom right corner pop-ups about Friends and whatnot, they also work great.

Then I tried to run TF2. Got to the menu, edited graphics settings to my native resolution and put the rest on the lowest settings. It ran pretty well, although it definitely had more trouble than my Windows partition when it came to large areas (which is not very surprising). After a few minutes though, the sound stopped working (I had this problem twice in a row so I'm assuming it always does that).

Overall, it's playable and WINE has come a huuuuge way since I last tried it. However TF2 didn't run "great" yet and I'll still be booting Windows for this.

I'll try some of the tips from WINE's AppDB later this week, see how that goes...

I call it incredible because I can finally play those games on linux. It's been too many years having to boot windows because I felt like having a break from work/study to play a game for half an hour.

Of course it's still not awesome, and all of my games do actually have a lower performance, but having the choice to instead of rebooting, just shooting steam and playing for 20 minutes is awesome.

Wine sure has come a really long way to what it is today. Still has a lot of work to do, and some of it is out of their hands (graphics drivers) but we can hope for more linux versions of the games in the future, starting with Valve and continuing with indie games like world of goo, aquaria, etc..

BTW, does Epic and ID still provide linux versions of their games?

!?

I seriously did that before (it was what I had to do that I wanted to disable root-only privilages) and it didn't work. Now I do it again and...it works.

Strange, but I'm happy.

Thanks for all the help people. I finally can shink my teeth into Linux again for the first time in a month!

Glad to hear it :)

Don't mind to ask whatever you want, we will help you (me at least :p) as much as we can ;)

Vanillalite

ID does for sure... though they haven't released anything in a while....

That being said I've played Quake Live on Linux since FF works with it, and it ran perfect for my tastes.

Yeah, I really hope Steam for Linux will be available soon. Valve proves again just how awesome they really are. <3

It's my number 1 reason for rebooting, no doubt about that.

panda21

anyone tried that Ubuntu font? very cool that they hired some professional font foundry to make one, but i havent actually seen it yet.

Top Bottom