• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lion mauls tourist to death in South African National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

OHANNESBURG - An American tourist has been killed and another person seriously injured in an attack by a lioness at the Lion Park near Lanseria.

The two people were travelling in the car with their windows apparently open.

It’s understood a lioness jumped through the open window, biting the woman who was in the passenger’s seat.

The driver, a tour guide, was badly injured while attempting to free the woman from the animal's grasp.

The park’s Scott Simpson said, “There was a car driving to the lion camp and the lion came through the window and it bit the tourist. Unfortunately, the ambulance arrived quite soon but the lady has passed away.”

Lion Park officials say they believe the woman failed to comply with the park’s strict safety regulations.

The park says it gives clear instructions to all visitors to keep windows closed when touring the area.

Despite this, officials say witnesses spotted the woman and the tour guide driving through the park with their windows open.

Simpson says the park takes safety seriously.

“We have signage up everywhere informing people to keep their windows closed. We hand out flyers as they are driving in reminding them to keep their windows closed. We really do everything we can to make sure that people know that.”

RIP but why at the bolded?

Keeping open windows while apex predators roam about doesn't seem smart.

http://ewn.co.za/2015/06/01/Lion-mauls-one-to-death-at-Jhb-lion-park

Lion Park officials say they believe the woman failed to comply with the park’s strict safety regulations.

Real classy to blame the woman when it was a tour guide who was driving the vehicle.

Damn, how scary is it that a lion will lunge through an open window and kill you. That's terrible. Don't fuck with lions my god.

cruets

W2toJd7.gif

akira28

Real classy to blame the woman when it was a tour guide who was driving the vehicle.

she didn't have a high enough self-preservation drive it seems. You would tink someone would say "hey man, roll up the goddamn windows. Lions love windows."

soleil

Banned
I wouldn't trust a window to stop a lionness. Smart thing to do is not go where you know apex predators are.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Are the windows on safari vehicles reinforced or just regular glass? Just wondering even though it wouldn't matter if they were down.

Just a clarification: the "Lion Park" by Johannesburg is a zoo, not a national park. Actual wild lions tend to be disinterested in vehicles.

Kule

This is a scary and sad story but personally I can't assiociate with the need to get so close to dangerous animals. These accidents seem to happen more often than you'd expect.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This has gotta be the scariest GIF ever. I'm guessing the person survived or the camera survived.
She shuts the door right away and they all double check their locks. Nothing more than a scare.

oo7

based on that gif I believe they should include "lock the car doors" as well as keeping the windows rolled up.

I do think that if a lion wants your ass bad enough the window won't stop anything though.

I'm not going to blame anybody here. Pretty much every party is at fault and sometimes bad things like this happen. Even a window rolled up isnt a really great safety measure. So what happens when the animal makes a first attempt and breaks the window? There should probably be a metal grill as well for the side windows. Kudos to the driver if the story is true. It would take huge balls to willingly take on a tigress when he couldve just bailed.

RiZ III

"We keep telling people not to roll down their windows". Yea ok why not just remove the mechanism that allows people to lower windows...

You know sometimes... the victim is at fault. Its a lion, its like the terminator of the animal kingdom. You can't reason with the thing if it wants to get at you and being in an enclosed space where it could get at you with the window down is beyond stupid.

The lion is not going to let you escape because you're "you".

I wonder why the lion attacked? I mean lions don't just jump into cars and kill people for no reason. I don't think I'd blame the woman or the driver for these circumstances. It's not uncommon to drive around on like safari tours and stuff in open vehicles. The article said that the park has had an incident before, so I'm curious as to how well they are treating their animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom