• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lite-on Dual Layer drives!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

+1 Lite-On, they seem to be the only company offering dual layer drives at this point.

When these come down in price by $20 or so, you can bet I'll be getting one of these.

27-106-953-01.JPG

Lite-On 8X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-832S WHT, Retail

Model# SOHW-832S WHT
Item # N82E16827106953

Specifications:
Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 2.4X DVD+R9, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows 98 / NT 4.0 / ME / 2000 / XP
Features: Supported Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function. SMART-BURN. SMART-X function. VAS system.
Packaging: Retail box (see pictures for details)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-106-953&DEPA=0

It writes to dual layer discs at 2.4x though. :|

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Is DVD9 Media available? Or DVD5 for that matter?

Oh, and why are DVD burners so incredibally cheap now?

bionic77

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Philips is offering a 16X Dual Layer DVD writer. It said it could burn a entire dual layer disc in under 6 minutes.

SKluck

Banned
Um... NO.

They do have a 16x burner, but that is for single layer, DVD+R. Their dual layer speed is 2.4x, just like everyone else. Which is about an hour worth of burning.

bionic77

SKluck said:
Um... NO.

They do have a 16x burner, but that is for single layer, DVD+R. Their dual layer speed is 2.4x, just like everyone else. Which is about an hour worth of burning.

I said I could be wrong, it was from something I remember reading last week. I thought the article said it was 16X for dual layer, but I can't find the link and I really don't remember.

Chrono

Banned
How much more expensive is the dual-layered media then the normal DVD-R? oh and it totals to 9.4 gigs per disk right?

marsomega

I haven't even seen the media on sale yet. Every place that hasthe dual layer drives I've come across has no dual layer capable dvd media.

Diablos

$10 per disc? Crap. That's $500 for a 50 pack! Haha..

I'm not ditching my Lite-On 4x DVD+/-R burner until a. dual layer writers are at least at 8x and b. the media is only a few cents more than a single layer DVD+/-R disc is right now.

Waiting an hour for anything to be written to is crazy, and $10 per disc is too.

Mason

I just bought a 8x DVD+- RW and then a week later they come out with this at roughly the same price.

BASTARDS

At least the dual layer discs are still way too expensive to be a viable medium.

Fusebox

Banned
I've got the Sony dual layer burner and not only can I not get the media but they didnt even include any blank discs with the unit the tightarses!

Hmm, $10 per dual-layer disc, plus a $3-5 rental fee for movies at the local video store... Looks like this is not yet a viable solution for movie pirates (unless you borrow some really rare DVD from your friend or something).

Diablos

Mason, don't sweat it... it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half until you actually want to make the leap to dual layer.

darscot

The whole copying a DVD equals pirate thing kinda pisses me off. DVD's suck for kids and you should be able to back them up. My 18 month old daughter and 3 year old son have both broken DVD's. I repurchased allot of kids movies on DVD as VHS tapes get worn. So now I have paid for the damn movies twice and now only have one worn out crap copy on VHS.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
darscot said:
The whole copying a DVD equals pirate thing kinda pisses me off. DVD's suck for kids and you should be able to back them up. My 18 month old daughter and 3 year old son have both broken DVD's. I repurchased allot of kids movies on DVD as VHS tapes get worn. So now I have paid for the damn movies twice and now only have one worn out crap copy on VHS.

If only all people used them for that legitmate purpose :(
Sad fact is, many people use it for the wrong reason.

DJ Sl4m

The price is right alright...its even a little high.

I wouldn't get too excited though, it isn't the drives that are expensive its the media..its so expensive (not that you can even buy em) that i'd ratherr pay a bit more again and get the real thing. heh

I certainly wont be getting one until its on a 16x single layer model too, philips have just realeased theirs and lite on etc will follow in a couple months.

I don't understand my friends that pirate movies. People often with good paying jobs that still sit around for hours on end tracking down dvd iso's, spend hours ripping and copying dvd's from their friends... You end up with too many movies to actually watch and what you have in the end is worthless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom