• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Spl1nter said:
There is not point in this. The beta is completely open and free. All hackers are using a throwaway email account to play, there is no risk to anyone hacking of actually losing anything. That along with no anti-cheat is why there are so many hackers.
I managed to do the old bail-out-of-vehicle teamkill on him once. So that's something.

Pennybags

vidal said:
My favorite thing about PB is that thing that some servers have that broadcasts the latest idiot to get caught by PB.

Too bad PB kicks me from every server within seconds.

I would love to play without the hackers pissing away all sense of enjoyment.

jokkir

Am I the only one lagging constantly in games? I hear the announcer stutter, my deaths stutter and my gun shots stutter.

I don't think I've had a game where I didn't experience stuttering :\

Maybe it's my computer.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
jokkir said:
Am I the only one lagging constantly in games? I hear the announcer stutter, my deaths stutter and my gun shots stutter.

I don't think I've had a game where I didn't experience stuttering :\

Maybe it's my computer.

How much RAM do you have?

So I played the beta for the first time. I expected to suck, but I did not expect to get shot at in places where it must have been physically impossible for the enemy to see me. Like behind rocks and trees.

I died before I even saw anyone to shoot at most of the time. I'm guessing hax.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
should consider a nicer cpu cooler, as well as some more fans for airflow

A "nicer" CPU cooler will make it even hotter in his room. After all, heatsinks and fans don't magically make heat disappear, they just move it away from whatever they're cooling. If the PC's case exhausts into the room, better heatsink/fan combos will exhaust more heat into the room, not less.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
So I played the beta for the first time. I expected to suck, but I did not expect to get shot at in places where it must have been physically impossible for the enemy to see me. Like behind rocks and trees.

I died before I even saw anyone to shoot at most of the time. I'm guessing hax.

Many/most rocks are bugged and entirely penetrable, so if you get spotted it's as good as standing in the open.

On the way into San Francisco from 101 North, just past Candlestick Park.

TeUr6.jpg

Goes perfect with fleet week going on this week. EA should have paid the Blue Angels to put some BF3 paint jobs on their jets.

And because jets and particularly the Blue Angels are so awesome, here is a maneuver I can't wait to do in BF3 with my wingman.

165Tv.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DTKT said:
Man, fuck Metro park area.

Seriously, this has to rank up there with frustrating design.
I think an LAV would help prevent it from turning into a sniper shooting gallery. The bushes just made the problem worse.

demolitio

Woo-Fu said:
A "nicer" CPU cooler will make it even hotter in his room. After all, heatsinks and fans don't magically make heat disappear, they just move it away from whatever they're cooling. If the PC's case exhausts into the room, better heatsink/fan combos will exhaust more heat into the room, not less.
I was thinking of trying to use Microcenter's policy to my advantage and buy a new case and have them install it since it's supposed to be free installation on new parts. The problem is I can't afford a really nice case so it has to be a decent deal and I'm trying to find one online even.

I would install it myself but my nerve damage makes my hands very shaky and twitchy so I already had problems just putting on the fan to my GPU. Hell, I'm just grateful kb + m is still playable right now, lol.

I wish the joysticks worked in the beta because I really want to test the helo physics. They feel really different so I want to know how easy a barrel roll and backflips are to perform. :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
demolitio said:
I wish the joysticks worked in the beta because I really want to test the helo physics. They feel really different so I want to know how easy a barrel roll and backflips are to perform. :D
You can't do either of those in bf3 with helicopters. They've dumbed-down the flight model drastically to make it easier for anybody to fly.

demolitio

Woo-Fu said:
You can't do either of those in bf3 with helicopters. They've dumbed-down the flight model drastically to make it easier for anybody to fly.
Which is funny since they're harder to have full control over so you end up crashing if you try anything too advanced. You can't easily do the sharp banks anymore but that might be due to the lack of joysticks currently. The DS3 works well with the jets but the helos feel like shit regardless of what you use.

They definitely dumbed some stuff down which is a damn shame. The air game was something they could have left the way it was in BF2 and I wouldn't complain a bit. The ground troops now have many ways to take out aircraft so at least give us some weapons to use against ground targets! Right now, the helo is the most pointless thing on Caspian since it's pretty much shot down within a few seconds of lifting off. So what little time they have to fight, they should be able to do some damage. I noticed the gunner on the helo can obliterate tanks if they stay on target long enough but no one is good enough to pull it off when I'm flying so I get pissed. The jets can last longer in the air by flying high but their strafing runs on infantry are pointless since there's no splash damage and it's EXTREMELY weak. It took a dive from the ceiling and two bursts worth of the cannon to get one kill out of 4 guys in a small space.

The helos need better splash damage or nerf some of the AA because it's the most worthless thing on the map. You can't unlock anything if you die 10 seconds in, and bad gunners make sure that happens.

This is coming from a person who did the flying for a lot of BF2 tournaments and could help the team out greatly with my friend gunning by supporting a flag cap, but that's not possible anymore short of a shitty opposing team with no AA.

The M.O.B

Yay for random glitch that removed my HUD, had to restart. I'm still amazed this game looks great still after playing the same map for 20 hrs, I feel like there should be a hardcore mode that removes everyones HUD.

bf32011-10-0918-51-05-3k9q.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, the way the tree shadows sway is really hypnotic. Someone should make a GIF. Caspian looked so good that taking a stroll to the next flag didn't seem all that bad.

demolitio

SapientWolf said:
Yeah, the way the tree shadows sway is really hypnotic. Someone should make a GIF. Caspian looked so good that taking a stroll to the next flag didn't seem all that bad.
My favorite part is when a tank fires and the shell goes past the trees and makes them all sway. A really neat little thing that gives you the sense of just how powerful the force is when your tank fires.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ice Raven said:
i dont understand the logic behind such juvenile actions.
30x8j8k.png

This same guy and kyou were killing me and my roommate with defibs from across the map. I immediately left. This is the kind of scum that needs to be banned.

demolitio

Woo-Fu said:
Here's the case in question except mine's green instead of blue. :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208021

I'm just confused. I wasted a lot of money in the past trying to get people to fix some issues I had after my 4850 fried and then tried to get them to find a solution to the heat problems, but of course they said there were no problems after probably "testing" it for 30 seconds on one of their shitty diagnostic programs.

And now that I don't have money, I realize I might as well try to replace it instead of wasting my time and more money, but I don't know if it's worth it or not so any suggestions would be appreciated. So now a semi-cheap case is the only option. :p

Thanks.

Kahoona

So my next unlock for the engineer is the Javelin...is it even in the game? I haven't seen anybody using it. Oh, and the guided shells for the tank are pretty rad.

demolitio

Kahoona said:
So my next unlock for the engineer is the Javelin...is it even in the game? I haven't seen anybody using it. Oh, and the guided shells for the tank are pretty rad.
I don't see it in the BL stats so it might be hidden in the beta, but there's only one way to find out! :D

I was thinking about something related to this last night...The tracer dart isn't in BF3, correct? I've been hoping that it'd go away since this is a sequel to BF2 and after seeing the AA launchers, I figured the Javelin and other launchers would take the roll of locking on to a tank instead since that's what they're meant for. This could mean no multi-utility engineers able to take out every vehicle in the game easily which is a plus in my book.

I just hope the Javelin has the actual screen similar to the real one instead of a generic orange box lock-on similar to the AA launchers right now. I just think the Javelin is the coolest damn launcher to use so that interface needs to be ingame. I wonder which firing mode it will use, but I'm guessing it's the top angle attack instead of direct. Hell, maybe you can switch it via the fire mode button to use both ways. I think it'll just be the one though.

Kahoona

demolitio said:
I don't see it in the BL stats so it might be hidden in the beta, but there's only one way to find out! :D

I was thinking about something related to this last night...The tracer dart isn't in BF3, correct? I've been hoping that it'd go away since this is a sequel to BF2 and after seeing the AA launchers, I figured the Javelin and other launchers would take the roll of locking on to a tank instead since that's what they're meant for. This could mean no multi-utility engineers able to take out every vehicle in the game easily which is a plus in my book.

I just hope the Javelin has the actual screen similar to the real one instead of a generic orange box lock-on similar to the AA launchers right now. I just think the Javelin is the coolest damn launcher to use so that interface needs to be ingame. I wonder which firing mode it will use, but I'm guessing it's the top angle attack instead of direct. Hell, maybe you can switch it via the fire mode button to use both ways. I think it'll just be the one though.
Actually, mines take the place of the repair tool so you could have the Stinger and mines at the same time.

squinters

astigmatic
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Caspian Border? I've been trying for the past half hour on multiple servers and I can never get past the "Connecting..." part. It sucks because I can play Op Metro just fine.

Well, I guess I done with the beta. Didn't get much done with the time I had (only 43mins worth), and the game decided to crash/freeze multiple times in the middle of gameplay :(

Today, 10/10/2011, Battlefield 3 killed my PC. I just spent like 600 bucks building a new PC, and it blew up (hopefully) my powersupply. After about 30 mins of BF, it just turned off, and wont turn back on. It was in a confined space tower cabinet thingy (I know, my bad). Just ordered a new PSU, hopefully that will do the trick, and that I didn't fry my mobo!

:(

I need me some BF3.

Sethos

Banned
How do you change the active soldier, i.e create a new? Can't even remember how that process worked in the first place. Would love to remove the numbers in my tag.

Sethos said:
How do you change the active soldier, i.e create a new? Can't even remember how that process worked in the first place. Would love to remove the numbers in my tag.

Well they are deleting everything aren't they? So guess we will get a chance to make one with a new name.

Sethos

Banned
BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Well they are deleting everything aren't they? So guess we will get a chance to make one with a new name.

Yes but just had to make sure as I'd like a new tag for the retail version.

Took a couple of days off from the Beta. Played a few matches tonight but it seems like the opening part of operation metro I did nothing but fall through the map. It wasn't like that before. I'm taking a big leap of faith now picking up BF3. Beta had a lot of good parts but a lot of ugly problems. I'm dying for a great game in 2 weeks. *gulp*

Pachinko

Well despite the gaming mode supposodly being in operation I think my problems with this game can be traced back to AVG , I turned it off completely and the next game I played ran perfectly fine.

Top Bottom