• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lockheed Martin says it’s ready to hand over laser weapon to Army for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
They will be limited without some major advances in power supply tech. Much more advanced batteries, etc.
Most laser weapons are not going to need advanced batteries since they run of the platforms engine/power source.

They might not be usable on older platforms due to less powerful engines but that is a minor problem at best, since most likely they will be deployed on newer platforms or platforms specifically designed to accommodate them.

DiscoJer

The danger with lasers is you can pretty easily blind people with them. Even with some of the laser rangefinders can do this.

Woorloog

Banned
The danger with lasers is you can pretty easily blind people with them. Even with some of the laser rangefinders can do this.

Yup. Even a relatively low powered PD laser can cause issues probably.

Suppose there was an "anti-armor laser", it would blind anyone not wearing proper eye protection on rather large radius...

sweet graphic noobs looks like a demo I got with a video card in 1993. Look like a someone modded Battlefield 1942. Come around with a graphic looking like an ad on thepiratebay

Prism tank in real life

XS5LK.gif

KHarvey16

I took it from the article.

Ofc, the Post could just be misinformed as to the requirements, or what 'continual use' means in terms of an uninterrupted stream vs just constant flicking like I described.

I take that to mean it would have to be able to fire continually, like if there were 20 drones or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom