• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech Speaker Question(X220 vs. Z640) - 5.1 worth twice the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

I'm looking into purchasing a set of inexpensive speakers for use with a laptop DVD Player, along with my GameCube, and have been trying to decide which route to take. While I am still waiting on word form my University as to the Sound Card in the Laptop (To see if 5.1 is even possible on the thing), maybe I can eliminate an option anyways.

I'm looking into the X-220s (2.1) and the Z-640. Basically, the Z-640s I can get for $80 Canadian, whereas I can grab the X-220s for $40 Canadian after a Mail in Rebate.

As someone who has never used Surround Sound...ever, and who realizes that the GameCube can't even use it really anyways, is it worth double the money when I may not be able to use the feature as it is intended? Is it that impressive, or is it instead smarter to fatten my wallet and allow me to pick up more uses for the speakers, as in games and movies. It's really an issue of 2.1 vs. 5.1 rather than it is an issue of the two models.

If the Sound Card has enough channels, is the 5.1 worth the money? I know it seems like I'm comparing no money to no money, but for a purely dorm room setup and looking to budget as well as possible, that $40 means some money towards other things.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom