• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech Wireless controller = wow

Ryck

I had been eyeing this thing for awhile (for xbox) and since I recieved a one hundred dollar CC gift card as a rebate for the television I got, I took a chance and dropped fity dollars of CC's own money and picked one up. I must say I'm quite impressed I was waiting out in the hopes that a first party version would be released but I figured if it's fifty dollars and made by logitech it must be good.
Anyway after adjusting to the sticks ( a tad loose for my tastes) I totally fell in love with it, it's very comfy almost feels like the standard Gamecube controller and the d pad is the best on any current system (almost better than saturn) IMO. I very higly recomend this to people who know the greatness of wireless controllers (gc I have 2 wavebirds) I noticed they also make em for ps2.

Ryck

Id like to add that the only thing that worried me was that you can't adjust the channels (like on the wavebird) so anyone know if you can use more than one at a time?

Ryck

Shompola said:
hello my friend,

is the thing very heavy? how good is it compared to wavebird?
Um it's a bit heavier than an s-controller about double the Wavebird (it has rumble though) not uncomfortably heavy at all in fact I hadn't even thought about the weight till you mentioned it. The Wavebird is obviously better in terms of feeling ie it feeling just like the regular Gamecube controller but the Logitech is damn good it feels like a first party controller very very precise.

Baron

Goodman Ryck,

Thank you for your generous descriptors and deep, concise thoughts on the above-referenced product.

Love,
Baron

Cathcart

Ryck said:
Id like to add that the only thing that worried me was that you can't adjust the channels (like on the wavebird) so anyone know if you can use more than one at a time?
Yeah, it figures that stuff out on its own. We had two of them hooked up playing Legends this weekend, didn't have to do anything special.

IntestineBoy

Sasquatch of 1000 (hairy) colons
The first party Xbox Wireless controllers will be out sometime. Maybe just with the launch of Xbox-2. They're gonna be the best ones out. More versatile than Wavebird. Wait and see.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
IntestineBoy said:
The first party Xbox Wireless controllers will be out sometime. Maybe just with the launch of Xbox-2. They're gonna be the best ones out. More versatile than Wavebird. Wait and see.

what do you mean by versatile?

and did you get this from some inside info.. or is this just xbot mumbojumbo.

IntestineBoy

quadriplegicjon said:
what do you mean by versatile?

and did you get this from some inside info.. or is this just xbot mumbojumbo.

Well, if the batteries get low in your Wavebird, you're screwed if you're in the middle of a game, right? Xbox wont have that problem. I can't go into more details on the versatility, but basically Xbox is taking what they learned from Wavebird, and expanding upon it, and it works outstandingly.

Particle Physicist

IntestineBoy said:
Well, if the batteries get low in your Wavebird, you're screwed if you're in the middle of a game, right? Xbox wont have that problem. I can't go into more details on the versatility, but basically Xbox is taking what they learned from Wavebird, and expanding upon it, and it works outstandingly.

and you know this how?

expanding upon it? you mean.. like putting a battery indicator on it?

Ryck

bs_meter.gif

Sysgen

There are 2 versions of the Logitech wireless for the Xbox and the PS2. There is a large and small (also known as precision and they're cheaper and lighter than the large) so watch what you are buying. I have the small for the Xbox (ordered the PS2 precision wireless) and it is an excellent controller though the sticks are looser than the controller S, but nothing I couldn't adjust too. Also the analog triggers are firmer which I like alot. The d-pads are different between the wireless precisions and the larger wireless controllers. The precisions are newer and IMO are better designed.

Xbox Wireless (large)

916.gif

Xbox Wireless Precision

3590.jpg

PS2 Wireless (large)
859.gif

PS2 Wireless Precision
3493.gif

Ryck

Sysgen said:
There are 2 versions of the Logitech wireless for the Xbox and the PS2. There is a large and small (also known as precision and they're cheaper and lighter than the large) so watch what you are buying. I have the small for the Xbox (ordered the PS2 precision wireless) and it is an excellent controller though the sticks are looser than the controller S, but nothing I couldn't adjust too. Also the analog triggers are firmer which I like alot. The d-pads are different between the wireless precisions and the larger wireless controllers. The precisions are newer and IMO are better designed.
I also got the precision model, I remember when I took the controller out of the packaging thinking that it wasn't as bulky as I remembered... I guess that explains it.

weehomer

I got the original wireless Logitech Xbox controller used from Gamestop for $12 (during their half off sale), and then called Logitech to them to ask for replacement rubber thumb grips. They ended up sending me another controller for free. So now I have two Logitech Xbox controllers that cost me about $6 each...

Sysgen

weehomer said:
I got the original wireless Logitech Xbox controller used from Gamestop for $12 (during their half off sale), and then called Logitech to them to ask for replacement rubber thumb grips. They ended up sending me another controller for free. So now I have two Logitech Xbox controllers that cost me about $6 each...

The original Logitechs had faulty thumbpads so beware when buying used controllers. I brought this up as a concern to a Logitech rep b4 buying the controllers and he said that the stock with issues had been replaced.

GrandPipe

IntestineBoy said:
lol, sure, whatever :D

Gorey

Hmm, I really love the 'second gen' PS2 wireless controller Logitech makes, but the xbox version didn't impress me so much. Besides the loose sticks, the buttons on mine seem kinda flaky/unresponsive. Maybe I got a lemon unit..?

Gorey said:
Hmm, I really love the 'second gen' PS2 wireless controller Logitech makes, but the xbox version didn't impress me so much. Besides the loose sticks, the buttons on mine seem kinda flaky/unresponsive. Maybe I got a lemon unit..?

I've heard the same things about the XBox rev. BTW, I was talking about the PS2 version, that's the one I'm getting. Awesome looking controller.

IntestineBoy

It's not BS. I didn't mean to say that the Xbox cont. would be magically powered, but perhaps there are more than one way to power the thing. Think of a cordless drill. Battery goes down, pop in a different power pack, right? Think of that sort of thing.

As for my versatility comment, it has more to do with a controller being able to be wireless, and not wireless at times as well.

Xbox is doing things very smart. We'll all be impressed whenever we see the wireless system. Things'll be more 'portable' than the Wavebird. It's hard to elaborate on that further without spilling all the beans.

This is from a thread a long time ago:
xbox_screen001.jpg

It's not inaccurate.

Particle Physicist

IntestineBoy said:
It's not BS. I didn't mean to say that the Xbox cont. would be magically powered, but perhaps there are more than one way to power the thing. Think of a cordless drill. Battery goes down, pop in a different power pack, right? Think of that sort of thing.

As for my versatility comment, it has more to do with a controller being able to be wireless, and not wireless at times as well.

Xbox is doing things very smart. We'll all be impressed whenever we see the wireless system. Things'll be more 'portable' than the Wavebird. It's hard to elaborate on that further without spilling all the beans.

This is from a thread a long time ago:
xbox_screen001.jpg

It's not inaccurate.

so you are saying its going to be a wireless controller that will plug into the system for wired play/recharging. HOW VERSATILE..

ok, for the last time. what makes you an insider?

IntestineBoy

quadriplegicjon said:
Well it's not like I'm full of shit. I'm not lying. I'm not out to fuck around with all of GAF. You can take what I said with a grain of salt if you want, but it's all fairly accurate.

Drek

I got to play around with the PS2 version Logitech Precision today actually. Very solid built controllers. More heft than I'd thought (noticably heavier than standard DS2's), and the buttons are a little clicky, especially the shoulder ones, but overall its a quality controller with excellent wireless. I have a Wavebird as well and I'd say it easily compares, and the vibration is actually even pretty good, making it arguably one step better. The PS2 version is a little heavier than the wave bird but smaller, I'd almost say its smaller than the standard DS2, but with longer handles and better ergonomic design. Nice sticks too, and the disc D-pad was making me long for a good fighter to try it out with. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quality pad, since they can be had for just a little over standard DS2 prices.

Now if I can just get the money together, I'ma get two Xbox and two PS2 ones. could still use another Wavebird too though. ;P

shpankey

not an idiot
Gorey said:

I completely agree. Whoops, I guess I mean "IAWTP" ;)

The new Logi wireless PS2 controller kicks fucking ass! But the Xbox version imo is shit. I hate that fucker even. How they could make such a great controller for PS2 and fuck up the xbox one is beyond me. Sucks though.

I am thinking of trying out the Pelican Wireless II for Xbox, heard some great things about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, if the batteries get low in your Wavebird, you're screwed if you're in the middle of a game, right? Xbox wont have that problem. I can't go into more details on the versatility, but basically Xbox is taking what they learned from Wavebird, and expanding upon it, and it works outstandingly

So you connect a cable to it? Wooooooo

As for being screwed with wavebird. Just pop the batteries out and put some new ones in. The game will detect the loss of a controller and pause anyway, or just pause yourself.

Is the Xbox wireless controller responsive? Its just that a friend of mine has a non logitech one that he thinks is great, but it feels laggy and unresponsive to me. Has a shitty range too. Does the logitech work from a range of say 10-15ft?

Drek

Well, if the batteries get low in your Wavebird, you're screwed if you're in the middle of a game, right?
No, you hit pause, get new batteries, and change them. Where's the 'screwed' in that?

Drek

Is the Xbox wireless controller responsive? Its just that a friend of mine has a non logitech one that he thinks is great, but it feels laggy and unresponsive to me. Has a shitty range too. Does the logitech work from a range of say 10-15ft?
I was using the PS2 one from between 10 and 15 feet away (playing on a 60" tv) and by the end of the first half I'd forgotten I was using a wireless controller it was so responsive, comprable to how the Wavebird feels. I'm assuming they used the same wireless tech for both controllers.

shpankey

not an idiot
mrklaw said:

Which one? I am about to buy a wireless xbox pad (either the Intec of the Pelican II) and I don't wanna get something that does that... so which one did he have?

Damnit, I want the precision PS2 controller so badly (it's a pain playing PS2 in my living room, cord isn't long enough). I gotta wait a week to get it though :(

shpankey

not an idiot
Drek said:
I was using the PS2 one from between 10 and 15 feet away (playing on a 60" tv) and by the end of the first half I'd forgotten I was using a wireless controller it was so responsive, comprable to how the Wavebird feels. I'm assuming they used the same wireless tech for both controllers.

Ya but let me tell you, the Logi PS2 wireless and the Logi Xbox wireless pads are two completely different pads in terms of quality and "awesomeness" ;) The PS2 pad is amazing and the Xbox pad fucking sucks complete ass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its a '4Gamers' pad, distributed by BigBen. Might be UK only? S-controller size but rubberized, and has nasty triggers too.

IntestineBoy said:

Ya, the batteries on the wavebird die so often its rediculous [/sarcasm]. I know my bastteries have lasted over the 100 hours given by Nintendo. Which means I have changed the batteries a whole bout 3 times since I got them when they came out. Thats over 300 hours of gaming. Its not like its hard to change 2 AA batteries after you have paused a game. I doubt the Xbox one will be able to reach the Wavebird's distance reach, response timing, or battery life.

shpankey

not an idiot
there's already an xbox wireless pad out there that can do 300 hours on only 2 AA batteries, and others that can do over a 100 hours with rumble on... i don't think Nintendo has any kind of special sauce (although the wavebird is awesome, but it should have rumble imo) technology that other manufacturers can't do or beat (and yes the wavebird's tech has been beat especially in battery life). the reason the wavebird rocks imo is it's quality feel, comfort, ergonomics and the fact that it doesn't have a long cord on the transceiver like all the shitty xbox ones do (jeez i fucking HATE that!!!).

the xbox pad (if there actually is one and he's not BS'ing) will easily outperform the wavebird in those categories you listed. the only question is ergonomics, comfort, asthetics, etc... which is where all the current ones fall on their asses. but if it's from Microsoft and is 1st party, then we will be golden.

SantaC

Robert-GCA said:
Ya, the batteries on the wavebird die so often its rediculous [/sarcasm]. I know my bastteries have lasted over the 100 hours given by Nintendo. Which means I have changed the batteries a whole bout 3 times since I got them when they came out. Thats over 300 hours of gaming. Its not like its hard to change 2 AA batteries after you have paused a game. I doubt the Xbox one will be able to reach the Wavebird's distance reach, response timing, or battery life.

IAWTP. Wavebird > all. I have 4 of them.

Screenboy

Robert-GCA said:

wavebird6big.jpg

Ive had my Wavebird for over a year and have had to change the batteries twice.

Magic bit of kit from Nintendo.

-SB

shpankey said:
Ya but let me tell you, the Logi PS2 wireless and the Logi Xbox wireless pads are two completely different pads in terms of quality and "awesomeness" ;) The PS2 pad is amazing and the Xbox pad fucking sucks complete ass.

??

I've had the Xbox Logitec Precision for the past 2 months and I think it's great so far. No problems whatsoever. I've tried countless 3rd party controllers dating back to the NES and the Precision is one of the best ones I've ever come across.

Sysgen

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
??

I've had the Xbox Logitec Precision for the past 2 months and I think it's great so far. No problems whatsoever. I've tried countless 3rd party controllers dating back to the NES and the Precision is one of the best ones I've ever come across.

The PS2 and Xbox Precisions are very similiar so maybe he is talking about the larger version.

Gorey

In my case I am definately talking about the precision xbox controller. Besides the super-loose sticks, the jewel buttons don't seem to pick up 'light' presses very well. I have to mash on them fairly hard to get a response. This isn't so bad in slower games, but for anything fast-paced it's basically unuseable. It feels like a mechanical thing to me, not a failure in wireless response time, for what that's worth.

Particle Physicist

shpankey said:
there's already an xbox wireless pad out there that can do 300 hours on only 2 AA batteries, and others that can do over a 100 hours with rumble on... i don't think Nintendo has any kind of special sauce (although the wavebird is awesome, but it should have rumble imo) technology that other manufacturers can't do or beat (and yes the wavebird's tech has been beat especially in battery life). the reason the wavebird rocks imo is it's quality feel, comfort, ergonomics and the fact that it doesn't have a long cord on the transceiver like all the shitty xbox ones do (jeez i fucking HATE that!!!).

the xbox pad (if there actually is one and he's not BS'ing) will easily outperform the wavebird in those categories you listed. the only question is ergonomics, comfort, asthetics, etc... which is where all the current ones fall on their asses. but if it's from Microsoft and is 1st party, then we will be golden.

[semi-rant]

thats all well and good.. i just find it hilarious how xbots tend to hype every aspect of the console.. TEH XBOX WIRELESS CONTROLLER WILL OUTVERSATILE WAVEBIRD AMAZING IT WILL BE BLAH ABLA BAKH.

i guess cubies do it too, but what really started annoying me was when reviews started saying crap like: 'only with the power of the xbox can (insert aspect of game here) like this be accomplished'... for most every review.

[/semi-rant]

MattCoz

IntestineBoy said:
Think of a cordless drill. Battery goes down, pop in a different power pack, right? Think of that sort of thing.
How is that different than popping in new batteries? I use rechargeables so that's basically the same thing.

IntestineBoy said:
This is what I've been hoping for if we're thinking of the same thing. Letting you hook it up wired so you don't use the battery and so it can be recharged while playing.

But really, considering its a next-gen controller, shouldn't it be expected to be more versatile? Do you think Nintendo won't have a more versatile version of the WaveBird for Revolution?

Top Bottom