• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollapalooza 2009 - Depeche Mode, Killers, Tool, Beastie Boys, Jane's & Kings of Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

800px-Lollapalooza_sign.jpg

DATE & TIME
August 7th-9th with performances starting each day at 11:00 AM. Due to curfew issues, the show will end at 10:00 PM each day (unfortunately). There are a number of aftershows by bands who are performing in the festival at local venues but tickets are sold separately and are mostly all sold out at this point.

Grant Park in downtown Chicago is the annual host of Lollapalooza. The Main Entrance to the festival grounds will be on Columbus Drive at the intersection of Congress Avenue, and right in front of Buckingham Fountain. Bring your Lolla ticket and get to the action even faster through the additional north entrance at Columbus and Monroe. Take a look-see at the 2009 Lolla Map to get oriented.

More info on how to get there on various methods of transport is available here: http://www.lollapalooza.com/info/transportation/index.html

TICKET AVAILABILITY AND PRICES
Advanced 3-day passes are now sold out and regular passes are available for $205 currently. Single day tickets are on sale for $80. Tickets can be purchased here: http://www.lollapalooza.com/tickets/index.html

OFFICIAL LINEUP AS OF 07/20/2009 (does not reflect Beastie Boys cancellation yet)

You can click the image to go to the Lollapalooza lineup page with links to audio for each band.

SCHEDULE IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE
(Artists listed from earliest to latest set times)

South Stage
Friday: Hey Champ, The Gaslight Anthem, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Thievery Corporation, Depeche Mode
Saturday: Living Things, Atmosphere, Coheed and Cambria, Rise Against, Tool
Sunday: Ra Ra Riot, The Airborne Toxic Event, Vampire Weekend, Snoop Dogg, The Killers

Budweiser Stage
Friday: Manchester Orchestra, White Lies, Ben Folds, The Decemberists, Kings of Leon
Saturday: Delta Spirit, Los Campesinos!, Arctic Monkeys, TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Sunday: Friendly Fires, Kaiser Chiefs, Neko Case, Lou Reed, Jane's Addiction

Vitamin Water Stage
Friday: The Henry Clay People, Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears, Heartless Bastards, Crystal Castles, of Montreal
Saturday: The Low Anthem, Miike Snow, Gomez, Glasvegas, Animal Collective
Sunday: Alberta Cross, Bat for Lashes, Dan Deacon, Cold War Kids, Silversun Pickups

Playstation Stage
Friday: Hockey, Zap Mama, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Andrew Bird
Saturday: Ezra Furman and the Harpoons, Federico Aubele, Robert Earl Keen, Santigold, Ben Harper and Relentless7
Sunday: Sam Roberts Band, Portugal. The Man, The Raveonettes, Dan Auerbach, Band of Horses

Citi Stage
Friday: Other Lives, The Knux, Amazing Baby, The Virgins, Asher Roth
Saturday: thenewno2, Constantines, Ida Maria, Chairlift, No Age, Lykke Li
Sunday: Carney, Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam, Cage the Elephant, Gang Gang Dance, Passion Pit, Deerhunter

Perry's Stage
Friday: Last Band Standing Remix, DJ Mel, Dark Wave Disco, Rye Rye, La Roux, The Bloody Beetroots (DJ Set), A-Trak, Simian Mobile Disco (DJ Set), Crookers, Kid Cudi
Saturday: Last Band Standing Remix, Moneypenny, Kaskade, Animal Collective (DJ Set), Prophit, Perry Farrell and Special Guest, Hercules and Love Affair (DJ Set), LA Riots, Diplo, Bassnectar
Sunday: Yello Fever, Car Stereo (Wars), He Say, She Say, Hollywood Holt, The Glitch Mob, Boys Noize, MSTRKRFT, Deadmau5

BMI Stage
Friday: April Smith, Gringo Star, The Builders and the Butchers, Kevin Devine, Eric Church
Saturday: Band of Skulls, Dirty Sweet, Langhorne Slim, Joe Pug, Blind Pilot
Sunday: Mike's Pawn Shop, Esser, The Greencards, Neon Hitch, Ke$ha

Kidz Stage
Friday: Yuto Miyazawa, Paul Green's School of Rock All-Stars, Frances England, Secret Agent 23 Skidoo, Zach Gill (from ALO), Special Guest, Lunch Money
Saturday: Frances England, Zach Gill (from ALO), Quinn Sullivan, Secret Agent 23 Skidoo, Care Bears on Fire, Special Guest, Ralph's World
Sunday: Care Bears on Fire, Q Brothers, Ralph's World, Peter DiStefano & Tor Hyams, Perry Farrell, Paul Green's School of Rock All-Stars with Perry Farrell

Meier

Onix said:
T_T

The above happens even when selecting 1
Yeah, they're sold out already. :( The next pre-sale is a little cheaper than the eventual final price but they were still like $175 each last year. I think the final price was like $230 or something.

Raistlin

half a moon said:
wut. Depeche Mode solo headlines. why are they playing at this rubbish

wut 2 u!

They're likely the headliner, or at least co-headliner. Lollapalooza is giant, singular festival now, not the modest-sized, alt tour it used to be. Plenty of huge acts play it.

Christ, last year's co-headliners were nin and Radiohead.

Onix said:
wut 2 u!

They're likely the headliner, or at least co-headliner. Lollapalooza is giant, singular festival now, not the modest-sized, alt tour it used to be. Plenty of huge acts play it.

Christ, last year's co-headliners were nin and Radiohead.
What I'm saying is, I'm seeing Dpeche Mode alone in September without all the rubbish. Similar to how I've see The Cure and NIN and every other band I love without all the rubbish.

Raistlin

Sad now

:(

I would have made my arrangements tonight had I got through. It gets a bit difficult to justify at full price though, once you factor in the plane and accommodations (in case I don’t camp).

There’d have to be someone I REALLY need to see in order to bite. Basically, some band I really dig, that I haven’t seen before. Especially a band that hasn’t been around in a while (in their original form). Something like the Cream, original Genesis lineup, original Floyd lineup, maybe Mazzy Star, etc.

half a moon said:
What I'm saying is, I'm seeing Dpeche Mode alone in September without all the rubbish. Similar to how I've see The Cure and NIN and every other band I love without all the rubbish.

I understand someone might have that preference, but I don't understand you being confused as to why a big band would want to play at a festival of this size. Bands to it all the time in other countries. It really sucks the US has so few events like this. We should be happy and support such things.

Meier

half a moon said:
Rubbish? Last year I saw (amongst others... these were just the act I saw for the 1st time): Kanye West, Radiohead, Gnarls Barkley, Black Kids, (oops, they were at P4K), Mark Ronson, The Enemy, Booka Shade, Uffie, Foals, Lupe Fiasco, CSS, Mates of State, MGMT, Bloc Party and Rage Against the Machine. Your trash is my treasure.

Well, the bands are usually the same genre in Europe and such. Here, well, there's usually a bunch of punk or metal bands together and I'm not into that style too much.

I guess I need to give better reasoning as well. I have a front-center stage streak when general admission is offered. So, staying up there to hold your spot through bands you don't really care about sucks in heat. I've done it two nights in a row to see The Cure. It killed me.

Depeche Mode usually has reserved seats. So, I'd jump on this if I was up there, but I'd feel like shit afterward. So, I'm looking forward tot he arena setting in Sept.

Red

Damn, was hoping to catch one! :lol

Anyone else heading to Lolla this year? Not many of the rumored/confirmed bands interest me so far, but I'm still planning on going.

Ohhhhh how excellent last year's lineup was! I actually still have my wristband on. I dont know if i'll be attending this year though...not a big fan of the rumored and confirmed bands so far(besides JA).

gnarkill bill said:
Ohhhhh how excellent last year's lineup was! I dont know if i'll be attending this year though...not a big fan of the rumored and confirmed bands so far(besides JA).

Yeah, I'm not completely sold on all 3 days at the normal $175-200 ticket price yet. It depends on what bands are added, because nothing interests me right now besides Ben Folds and a rumored Grizzly Bear. GB were excellent last year.

For $60 I would have bought tickets though, no hesitation.

Yeah, last year I bought a 3 day pass as soon as they went on sale. I remember Radiohead and NIN were rumored for the longest time and I thought there was no way they would both be headlining but then came the announcements along with the confirmation of Rage also as a headliner. I still cant believe they were able to book all 3 of them last year. On top of that, there were also a good amount of lesser known bands to. I ended up working down there for 1 day last year so if my buddy is working there again, chances are I can probably be able to get a job again. Last year all we did basically was drive Perry Farrell around in a golf cart to interviews he had to go to with whoever. It was pretty fun. :D

JimmyV

Banned
man I hope they have really good headliners like last year. being able to see Rage was so AMAZING!

minus the ignorant drunks, stonners, and cracked out people

I'm so terribly underwhelmed by these headliners. What are the odds that DEVO will show up on one of the nites to save the whole festival?

Meier

crawlingpeter said:
I'm so terribly underwhelmed by these headliners. What are the odds that DEVO will show up on one of the nites to save the whole festival?
I'm a tad bit underwhelmed but The Killers put on a great live show and seeing Depeche Mode is going to be awesome. My hope is that Kings of Leon are not in fact a headliner and are a sub-headliner and Blur are announced or something. :D

Meier

http://faronheit.blogspot.com/2009/03/lets-talk-lolla.html

Further rumors:

..And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
A.C. Newman
*Andrew Bird
Animal Collective
*Atmosphere
Band of Horses
Bat for Lashes
*Ben Folds
Ben Harper & Relentless7
Bon Iver
Chairlift
Cursive
*Delta Spirit
Dirty Projectors
Eagles of Death Metal
Eels
Ezra Furman and the Harpoons
Fleet Foxes
Franz Ferdinand
*Friendly Fires
Glasvegas
Heartless Bastards
*Kaiser Chiefs
Langhorne Slim
Lily Allen
*Lou Reed
Matt & Kim
Metric
MSTRKRFT
*Neko Case
OK Go
Passion Pit
*Paul Green's School of Rock All Stars
Peter Bjorn and John
Ra Ra Riot
Rancid
Razorlight
Regina Spektor
Rise Against
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Sam Roberts Band
Santigold
School of Seven Bells
Silversun Pickups
Tenacious D
The Airborne Toxic Event
*The Decemberists
The Gaslight Anthem
The Hold Steady
*The Raveonettes
*TheNewNo2
TV on the Radio
Vampire Weekend
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

* means the band has already been 'confirmed.'

gdt

Just a question because I have their debut sitting here to be listened to,

GAF hates the Kings of Leon? I've never heard any of their stuff.

mAcOdIn

Damn, wish I could make it, would love to see the Raveonettes. Depeche Mode would be cool as well as the Killers but THE FUCKING RAVEONETTES man!

Andrew Bird, TV on the Radio, Vampire Weekend, Animal Collective, Ben Folds, Fleet Foxes, Crystal Castles, Bon Iver, Stanigold, Derrhunter, Peter Bjorn and John, Dan Deacon, No Age, Bat for Lashes, Chairlift, MSTRKRFT, Simian Mobile Disco, Hercules and Love Affair, Depeche Mode......Lollapalooza 2009, I love you.

I'm totally in love with Bat for Lashes right now, I'm hyped they'll be there. Dan Deacon will be interesting in the blazing sun. :lol

Meier

I find the new adds a teeny bit disappointing but it's a very solid lineup overall. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric, the Dead Weather and a few others are expected to be there as well and announced closer to August.

Pretty good undercard even if I am not impressed with the Headliners this year, and of course tons of little guys I have no clue who they are.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I thought that Lollapalooza was more about a bunch of different kind of music on one show. Doesn't seem like much variety. Outside of MSTRKRFT, DM, and Beastie Boys it just seems like different shades of Rock.

dskillzhtown said:
I thought that Lollapalooza was more about a bunch of different kind of music on one show. Doesn't seem like much variety. Outside of MSTRKRFT, DM, and Beastie Boys it just seems like different shades of Rock.

You must not know some of the bands very well, because there is a huge amount of variety in this line-up.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ehhh the only things I really like on there are Deadmau5, the Killers, Depeche Mode, PB&J, and Animal Collective. D: Ah well, maybe next year! I'm sure it'll be great as always though :)

Meier

http://bit.ly/1iGUo

That is a temporary list of bands I'd hope to see. There are some I might add (Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Gomez, Bat for Lashes amongst others) and some I might remove based on scheduling of course. Arctic Monkeys are definitely the band I absolutely must see... they're worth my $60 alone. I'd see them every night of the week if I could. <3

Depeche Mode
The Killers
Thievery Corporation
Snoop Dogg
TV on the Radio
Vampire Weekend
The Decemberists
Arctic Monkeys
Ben Folds
Silversun Pickups
Kaiser Chiefs
Crystal Castles
Cold War Kids
Peter Bjorn and John
Glasvegas
White Lies
Ra Ra Riot
Los Campesinos!
Friendly Fires
Hockey
Simian Mobile Disco
Hercules and Love Affair (DJ Set)

I guess depending on how things align, I'd see either the Beastie Boys or Kings of Leon as well. I'm not a fan of the Followills but maybe they put on a good show.

Meier

Updated the OP and the 2nd post with information on Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys. Due to his announcement of having cancer, they will no longer be headlining the festival. C3 will announce schedule changes shortly.

Stairs

Banned
Goddamn am I excited, next month can't come soon enough. Although, that sucks about the Beastie Boys; I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Meier

Antagon said:
I always wonder: Are there a lot of large festivals in the US? The only one I hear about is Lollapalooza.
There are actually quite a number of fairly large festivals. The largest are Lolla, Coachella (biggest but much newer), Sasquatch, Bonnaroo, All Points West, Austin City Limits and Voodoo Fest.

There's also the Virgin Music Festival in Baltimore and Pitchfork Music Fest in Chicago (this has become fairly large as well but is much cheaper than all of the others -- $75 for a 3 day pass as opposed to the typical $200+).

poematik

Banned
Meier said:
There are actually quite a number of fairly large festivals. The largest are Lolla, Coachella (biggest but much newer), Sasquatch, Bonnaroo, All Points West, Austin City Limits and Voodoo Fest.

Coachella was fun this year (it was my first one so maybe thats why).

Sunday is going to be fucking epic!

Bat for Lashes
Dan Deacon
Boys Noize
Deerhunter
MSTRKRFT

Then I'm off to The Logan Square Auditorium to see Dan Deacon and Deerhunter again, with No Age.

I'm hoping that Animal Collective will get moved to the Budweiser Stage now that The Beastie Boys aren't playing. Animal Collective works so much better during the night time at Festivals. I think their slot right now is during sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom