• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollapalooza 2009 - Depeche Mode, Killers, Tool, Beastie Boys, Jane's & Kings of Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meier said:
There are actually quite a number of fairly large festivals. The largest are Lolla, Coachella (biggest but much newer), Sasquatch, Bonnaroo, All Points West, Austin City Limits and Voodoo Fest.

There's also the Virgin Music Festival in Baltimore and Pitchfork Music Fest in Chicago (this has become fairly large as well but is much cheaper than all of the others -- $75 for a 3 day pass as opposed to the typical $200+).

Pitchfork is WAY more expensive than it used to be. It is building up to be pretty much Lolla Jr. I remember when it started off as Intonation Festival and was $20 for 2 days of music. It also used to be much more of 50/50 mix of Rock and its variants and Hip Hop.

Antagon

Meier said:
There are actually quite a number of fairly large festivals. The largest are Lolla, Coachella (biggest but much newer), Sasquatch, Bonnaroo, All Points West, Austin City Limits and Voodoo Fest.

There's also the Virgin Music Festival in Baltimore and Pitchfork Music Fest in Chicago (this has become fairly large as well but is much cheaper than all of the others -- $75 for a 3 day pass as opposed to the typical $200+).

I just wondered because here in Holland alone we've got two pop festivals and a dance festival that sell 50.000+ tickets each year, plus a jazz festival which sells 25.000 tickets a day. I would expect that there would be a lot more large festivals in the US.

Meier

BigGreenMat said:
Pitchfork is WAY more expensive than it used to be. It is building up to be pretty much Lolla Jr. I remember when it started off as Intonation Festival and was $20 for 2 days of music. It also used to be much more of 50/50 mix of Rock and its variants and Hip Hop.
Intonation had fewer bands and was only 2 days. That price point was not very realistic for the caliber of bands it drew too... I dunno how they did it, frankly. The P4k prices are quite reasonable even still.

Antagon said:
I just wondered because here in Holland alone we've got two pop festivals and a dance festival that sell 50.000+ tickets each year, plus a jazz festival which sells 25.000 tickets a day. I would expect that there would be a lot more large festivals in the US.
The major difference between the US and Europe is that people from many countries can travel to festivals quite easily (close proximity, easy cross-country travel via rail, etc.). In the case of America, people do come from the surrounding states to the major festivals but that's mostly it.

One major dance festival in the US is Ultra down in Miami. I know it sells like 70,000+ tickets a year as well.

Meier said:
Intonation had fewer bands and was only 2 days. That price point was not very realistic for the caliber of bands it drew too... I dunno how they did it, frankly. The P4k prices are quite reasonable even still.

Well even in the past three years the price of a single day pass to Pitchfork has gone up $15. I am just pointing out that its affordability is mostly related to its age (and size to some extent). They are marching the price up just like everyone else.

Meier said:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs have been confirmed as the new headliner. Pretty weak -- certainly not on par with the Beasties but obviously there wasn't much time available to negotiate with an act. C3 had claimed they were going to get a band at a similar level but they obviously lied.

What's wrong with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs? I'm not a big fan of the Beastie Boys, I wanted to see them live, but the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a good replacement. Their new album is great and I look forward to hearing the new material.

Anyone going to any pre-Lolla or after party shows?

I'll be heading to pre-Lolla Chairlift and Passion Pit shows. Tried to get tickets to the Andrew Bird after party but they sold out quick. Catching the Dan Deacon/Deerhunter/No Age Round-Robin after party show, should be a riot.

Yeah, Lollapalooza has been in Chicago since 2005, but it has only been a 3 day festival since 2006. It's here in Chicago until 2011. If there is another contract to stay in Chicago, or if Lollapalooza moves to another city, it will most likely stay with the 3 day festival schedule.

I love Lolla and have been going every year since 2006. It's become a Chicago festival and it would be sad if they didn't renew it past 2011. Although Pitchfork could grow a lot bigger into a Lolla-like festival and use Grant Park. Pitchfork is growing far too big for Union Park.

I also believe that the headliners aren't very exciting this year. The other acts playing throughout the day blow away the headliners.

Of course nothing will top last year's headliners, such a great lineup last year.

Meier

kitchenmotors said:
What's wrong with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs? I'm not a big fan of the Beastie Boys, I wanted to see them live, but the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a good replacement. Their new album is great and I look forward to hearing the new material.

Anyone going to any pre-Lolla or after party shows?

I'll be heading to pre-Lolla Chairlift and Passion Pit shows. Tried to get tickets to the Andrew Bird after party but they sold out quick. Catching the Dan Deacon/Deerhunter/No Age Round-Robin after party show, should be a riot.
I was not a big fan of their recent performance at the Aragon. Nothing wrong with them, but they're not a major festival headliner. Not even close to be honest.

I'm going to the Arctic Monkeys show at the Metro.

kitchenmotors said:
I also believe that the headliners aren't very exciting this year. The other acts playing throughout the day blow away the headliners.

Of course nothing will top last year's headliners, such a great lineup last year.

Agreed. Last year was AMAZING. Radiohead, Rage, and NIN...absolutely worth every penny. I wont be attending this year. Money is too tight and these headliners dont really appeal to me(except Tool).

To the people that are attending, have fun.

gnarkill bill said:
Agreed. Last year was AMAZING. Radiohead, Rage, and NIN...absolutely worth every penny. I wont be attending this year. Money is too tight and these headliners dont really appeal to me(except Tool).

To the people that are attending, have fun.

Did you ever get tickets to NIN? Wasn't the normal sale date for tickets today?

Meier

Friend of mine has an extra ticket to sell and the guy he had lined up to buy it flaked out. Anyone need a 3-day pass for a discounted price?

joeposh

Meier said:
Friend of mine has an extra ticket to sell and the guy he had lined up to buy it flaked out. Anyone need a 3-day pass for a discounted price?

How much is he looking to get for it? I have a pass but might have friends who would pick it up at the proper price point.

Oh and just as a casual side note.... THEM CROOKED VULTURES (aka Dave Grohl, Josh Homme from QOTSA and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin) are playing an aftershow at lolla! Their first concert that I'm aware of, and an indicator of a possible surprise appearance at the festival?

Shit just got real.

Meier

joeposh said:
How much is he looking to get for it? I have a pass but might have friends who would pick it up at the proper price point.

Oh and just as a casual side note.... THEM CROOKED VULTURES (aka Dave Grohl, Josh Homme from QOTSA and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin) are playing an aftershow at lolla! Their first concert that I'm aware of, and an indicator of a possible surprise appearance at the festival?

Shit just got real.
Ticket sold.

I can't find the info about where Them Crooked Vultures are playing... that would be sick! Where and when? Girlfriend texted me, sounds like it's a secret show at the Metro?

Meier

joeposh said:
They're playing The Metro at midnight on Sunday. Tickets go on sale thursday.
Just to clarify, it'll basically be Monday morning (11:59 PM on Sunday night). I'm sure this is going to crash etix's servers... I wish they'd just plugged them into the Beasties spot.

Meier

I didn't realize until last night that La Roux had pulled out a few weeks ago. Honestly, they were in my top 5... maybe top 2 to see. Huge, huge disappointment. ;(

joelseph

The entire summer has been mild and wonderful, the one weekend it is going to be a scorcher is the same weekend as Lolla, go figure! =)

suaveric

joelseph said:
The entire summer has been mild and wonderful, the one weekend it is going to be a scorcher is the same weekend as Lolla, go figure! =)

I swear every year for Lolla it's the hottest weekend of the year.

I would KILLLLL to go to that Them Crooked Vultures aftershow.

Oh yeah and I couldnt even imagine being down at Grant Park today. Its quite ridiculously hot and tomorrow is gonna be even worse. Typical early August Chicago weather I suppose.

Meier

sublime085 said:
Soooo Tired. Great weekend. Jane's was a nice capper to the whole thing.
I was so pissed at Lou Reed -- thought for sure Band of Horses would be cut short. Fuck that, Ben Bridwell wasn't going to be deterred. LEGENDARY. :lol :lol

Here are more pics from today...

Friendly Fires: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abellwillring/sets/72157621995766322/
Bat for Lashes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abellwillring/sets/72157621995967912/
Kaiser Chiefs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abellwillring/sets/72157621871535923/
Band of Horses: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abellwillring/sets/72157621996372836/

joeposh

It was an amazing weekend. Yesterday was insane, front row for Bat for Lashes and Dan Deacon, then went to the Dan Deacon/Deerhunter/No Age after party which went until 2am.

I have a lot of videos and some photos I'll be posting. I got some great footage of Hockey, Andrew Bird, Crystal Castles, Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes and Dan Deacon as I was front row for all of them except for Andrew Bird.

I was really bummed out that Hockey only played 4 songs, the power on the Playstation stage went out twice during their set.

Alice from Crystal Castles looked fucked up, I'm not sure what she was on but it was amusing. :lol

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
God this weekend was fucking Illmatic.
Loved the yeah yeah yeahs, Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, Deadmau5, Band of Horses, MSTRKRFT, Snoopy, Kid Cudi, Kings of leon.
After 3 days of running on southern comfort and weed and no sleep, its time to get some food and rest.

Ravager61

I had a great fucking time at Lolla. My top 3 performances were probably Tool, Crystal Castles, and MSTRKRFT. I don't think I've ever had more fun at a show then I did watching MSTRKRFT.

Tetra-9

I only went for Friday but it was nuts, cause everyone was tripping out cause of all the dance-related music haha. I saw STS9, Crystal Castles, and of Montreal. Never had seen Crystal Castles and was fucking floored, everyone couldn't help but dance. and now I'm in love with Alice. and of Montreal is my fav band so I really enjoyed their energetic show. At the end of the night my gf and I listened to Depeche Mode from afar and I thought they had a good live sound. On our way out we decided to smoke one more joint at the Kings of Leon stage......... god what a horrible way to end the night, compared to the previous bands, they were very bland. But all in all it was an awesome time.

edit: oh yeah and Alice Glass was fucking hammered. at one point she got groped and ended up just stright up punching the guy who groped her.... she's so bad ass.

Alright, these are the videos I have uploaded so far, all in HD. I have a few more of them to upload, two of the Animal Collective set and two of the Bat for Lashes set.

Andrew Bird - Scythian Empires
Crystal Castles - Courtship Dating
Hockey - Song Away
Dan Deacon - Of The Mountains
Dan Deacon - Woof Woof

And from the Dan Deacon/Deerhunter/No Age Afterparty show....

Dan Deacon - Wham City
Dan Deacon - Crystal Cat

You can also check out my Youtube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/motorde, for more concert and festival videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom