• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Elginer

Really enjoying the game, have put about 2 hours in. Not digging the way the AI loot system works but eh... maybe they can fix that,or at least explain it well.

Also not digging the way you can't switch characters on the fly and no manual save. There may be one, not sure but I sure didn't see it.

Overall, still loving the hack and slash and great loot. Love the attention to detail of the LOTR universe with nice deep conversations with folks.

Drop in and drop out co-op works smoothly. I feel it's a gem that needs some polishing, hopefully some patches can fix some of that.

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
As Heavy Said, you can start a "new" game with a second controller, and go into a local co-op game with your current character. Gift the Pre-Order item to the character you want to have it.

We're going to have this in the FAQ early tomorrow.

This is exactly the game I was expecting and hoping for. Hack and slash with a little more depth, distinguished loot (with sets), and a world that shows true love for the fiction. Voicework has been solid, down to the little yipps and yells the Dwarf does when jumping and rolling around. The gore is pitch perfect, and definitely takes its cues from the movies, so there are some damn nice beheadings and impromptu amputations.

I'd disagree that Andriel's cleric abilities are useless. I've been soloing as the Dwarf and her light shield has saved my ass on a few occasions already. You heal in ticks while inside and the shield protects you from any arrows that might come your way. Its a restricted cone though, so you can't expect to be offensive while resting inside for safety, but with orcs coming at you don't be surprised if you still still end up engaging in a little close quarters combat. On that note the allied AI has been helpful and its cool to see them level up, gear up and change their looks and weaponry as you progress through the game.

The xbox controller works like a charm on PC, and on my rig the game looks wonderful with everything maxed out, especially the details and styling on clothing, armor and weaponry. There was some slowdown when I first started in Bree, but that's only happened once or twice more since. I'd love to make it disappear entirely (I have a monster rig) but it hasn't been a problem yet.

My only gripe is that there's no manual with the steam version. The link under game details goes nowhere. So I don't know what two of the icons on the bottom left of the screen are for. The one above, and the one to the right. Can anybody fill me in?

One last gripe - the PC version should really have splitscreen. With the details maxed and the framerate smooth this should be the definitive way to play the game. Some of us have our PCs hooked up to our comfy couch PCs ya know. Just sayin.

Edit: Found a link on the Steam forums to the manuals:
http://www.warinthenorth.com/the-game/support/manuals

It also looks like the two icons I couldn't decipher represent your two allies and are there to let you know if one of them is downed.

SnowblindTina said:
As Heavy Said, you can start a "new" game with a second controller, and go into a local co-op game with your current character. Gift the Pre-Order item to the character you want to have it.

We're going to have this in the FAQ early tomorrow.
You can't do this on the PC version tho, right?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
NullPointer said:
I'd disagree that Andriel's cleric abilities are useless. I've been soloing as the Dwarf and her light shield has saved my ass on a few occasions already. You heal in ticks while inside and the shield protects you from any arrows that might come your way. Its a restricted cone though, so you can't expect to be offensive while resting inside for safety, but with orcs coming at you don't be surprised if you still still end up engaging in a little close quarters combat.

I agree, that thing has been a life saver. It heals you and protects from arrows, which is a major asset when youre getting swarmed by orcs and there are ranged guys raining pain down from some ramparts or something. The size of it isn't gigantic but its not tiny either, I think it's fine. There have been a couple really badass moments where we were getting overrun and shot up, so the dwarf player and I would run back to elf while she cast her bubble then we would all make a defensive stand inside of it against the melee guys that crashed through, while all the arrows and spells popped around us. Pretty sweet.

Also the difficulty surprised me in a good way. You kinda have to be careful, you get carried away hacking and slashing and you can die pretty quick. For some reason this reminds me a lot of Space Marine, which is a good thing.

Agreed with both Nullpointer and MattDaddy about the clerical abilities... I use the bubble shield all the time. Really helpful in co-op

Ok, so I just want to get a clear idea of how this thing works. If I play as the ranger up to level 10, and then finds an awesome staff for my elf, give it to her, and then switch to play as the elf, can I adjust the points she spent on attributes and skills from level 1-10, or is she locked into what the AI assigned for her up to that point?

nyong

Banned
This is about as perfect a job of moving Dark Alliance into the third person as possible. Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges at times, but this may still damn well become my favorite game this generation. No exaggeration.

This is the loot whore game I've been waiting for.

Is it just me or is the music being sung in Bree the same used in the We are ODST commercial?

Lament - Light of Aidan lyrics said:
We cheat Death from this rightful victory. No one can defeat us. We are glad to plunge feet first into Annwn (Hell) in the knowledge that we will rise.

And my army of brothers went over the hilltops, drenched in blood we may be... but fighting is all left to me... together with my army of brothers... down we fall... darkness in all... through hell!

Hey thanks Snowblind, me and my roomate were only gonna pop it in to check it out since we have exams tomorrow, and a few hours later we've thoroughly screwed ourselves :lol. Love the combat, surprised how good it feels. Hopefully word of mouth does the game justice, especially with the great co-op implementation which I've found rare this gen, this game should really be a hit i there's justice in the world. Hopefully the season doesn't bury it.

FredFish

Well Amazon sent me the code for the Orc sword but my order is still flagged "Shipping Soon" with the option to request cancellation. I realize that using super-saver shipping puts me at the back of the line but sheesh

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MaritalWheat said:
Hey thanks Snowblind, me and my roomate were only gonna pop it in to check it out since we have exams tomorrow, and a few hours later we've thoroughly screwed ourselves :lol. Love the combat, surprised how good it feels. Hopefully word of mouth does the game justice, especially with the great co-op implementation which I've found rare this gen, this game should really be a hit i there's justice in the world. Hopefully the season doesn't bury it.
I picked it up and am using Google+ to recruit at least a few friends to join me. :p

You're welcome Tina/Snowblind!

Spoo

Picked this up on Steam on a whim. If any PC GAFfers are looking for a coop partner, I'm game :D Steam name is Spoogeist

FredFish said:
Well Amazon sent me the code for the Orc sword but my order is still flagged "Shipping Soon" with the option to request cancellation. I realize that using super-saver shipping puts me at the back of the line but sheesh

The thing with super saver is that your item won't ship until there are "X" amount of orders ready for your region.

Lord Phol

Anyone have any impressions/information on the PS3 version?
Is it holding up well compared to the others?

Edit: Also, any recommendations on decent not too expensive PS3-headsets? :c

I only had about an hour to play it last night before I had class but it's pretty much what I expected; a fun, hack and slash loot game.

I do have a question however for PCGAF: I'm all maxed out and getting consistent 60 FPS however whenever I turn with the mouse I get a bit of stuttering. The game itself when I run forward or move around is perfectly fine but whenever I turn with the mouse I see some stuttering, is this just something that'll have to be patched?

As a note: I have not tested with my 360 controller yet, I'll check it out tonight because I plan to play with a controller.

FuttBuck said:
I only had about an hour to play it last night before I had class but it's pretty much what I expected; a fun, hack and slash loot game.

I do have a question however for PCGAF: I'm all maxed out and getting consistent 60 FPS however whenever I turn with the mouse I get a bit of stuttering. The game itself when I run forward or move around is perfectly fine but whenever I turn with the mouse I see some stuttering, is this just something that'll have to be patched?

As a note: I have not tested with my 360 controller yet, I'll check it out tonight because I plan to play with a controller.
Yeah, the stuttering is a big issue with the PC version and it's being discussed at the official forums. It can get really bad at times, especially in Bree and when entering a new area. People are reporting that their GPU usage is only like 60% yet it still stutters like crazy. I'm hoping it's not an AMD issue but it might be.

found the thread http://www.warinthenorth.com/forums/showthread.php?14223-PC-Severe-Stuttering-Issue

Nice avatar/username combo btw LOL :D

Heavy said:
Yeah, the stuttering is a big issue with the PC version and it's being discussed at the official forums. It can get really bad at times, especially in Bree and when entering a new area. People are reporting that their GPU usage is only like 60% yet it still stutters like crazy. I'm hoping it's not an AMD issue but it might be.

Okay good, glad It's not just me, thanks Heavy. I'm running a Phenom X4 3.2 gigs with a GTX 570 btw

FuttBuck said:
Okay good, glad It's not just me, thanks Heavy. I'm running a Phenom X4 3.2 gigs with a GTX 570 btw
Ok so it's probably not an AMD driver issue. This is most likely a case of poor optimization due to it being a console port.

Heavy said:
Ok so it's probably not an AMD driver issue. This is most likely a case of poor optimization due to it being a console port.

I'll fool around with my Nvidia control panel tonight and see if I can get it fixed. I think it's something that may need to be patched though.

EDIT - lol thanks :)

Xander51

Mattdaddy said:
Also the difficulty surprised me in a good way. You kinda have to be careful, you get carried away hacking and slashing and you can die pretty quick. For some reason this reminds me a lot of Space Marine, which is a good thing.

Yes! I have this same feeling. The combination of melee and ranged combat is very much like Space Marine, in the best possible way.

I also agree about the difficulty. The first real boss gave me quite a challenge and forced me to slow down and think much more than I had up until that point.

EDIT: It's a shame to hear about folks having PC stuttering issues. I'm not really seeing any so I can't be of much help, but my CPU usage is cranking up rather high during the game surprisingly. I'm running an overclocked i7 and a GTX 470.

I got the PS3 version and spent some time playing co-op last night. I'm not sure how the 360 version looks, but the graphics seem pretty crisp and it doesn't have the usual PS3 foggy grey funk that multiplatform games sometimes have (I assume usually because of UE3, but I'm not getting into that one).

Overall, it's definitely better than I expected from the impressions in the more negative reviews. The controls are responsive and feel smooth and natural. Combat is just the kind of hack-and-slash mash I was looking for, with the context-based attacks being a nice touch. The addition of a small yellow arrow indicating when to hit heavy attack for a killing blow breaks up the mashing quite nicely and I disagree with Matt's impression that the combat feels mushy, everything has good to great animated and auditory feedback.

Without wanting to turn anyone off, what really occurred to me after a few hours was how much the game felt like what Dragon Age 2 combat could have been. The graphics are sort of like DA:O with better colors and textures, a few of the class abilities feel somewhat similar, there's mashy melee with buffs and AEs and heals tossed in occasionally, and ranged attacks require aiming instead of just standing around hitting a button for 5 minutes like in DA2.

Ultimately though it feels like a Champions game with a behind the back perspective and fewer classes. The classes are certainly different, but people who expect each to play differently than mashing weak attack in between finishers and rolls and only occasionally hitting an ability are going to be disappointed. The splitscreen is as good as splitscreen ever is (never a big fan, but I can live as long as it's vertical), with the most notable thing being the consistent performance the game has. FPS was constant the whole night through no matter what either of us were doing or looking at as far as I experienced.

The game does have some bugs, for instance WAITING FOR PARTY TO GATHER or something was stuck displayed in the lower left on my side of the splitscreen for a good 30 minutes last night. I haven't come across any of the "mobs and AI partners stuck in walls" bugs as of yet.

Gripe-wise, one thing that really, really would have been nice is the ability for each person to choose Invert Y axis individually. I live in a TWO-Y-AXIS-PREFERENCE HOUSEHOLD, let me tell you, it was ugly. Also, hopping in and out of co-op and who is on what save on which PSN account et al was a tad confusing at first and might could use more explanation.

The bottom line though is that this game shines in co-op. There are a lot of context-based gameplay elements which adds some variety, and the fact that each class sees different visual clues for secrets in an area promotes everyone playing to explore after battles. Each of you gets credit for receiving and completing side quests you get from talking to NPCs. Loot is abundant, unique to each person, and easily traded. There are frequent portals tossed throughout the stages that allow you to buy and sell and port back to hub for repairs. Also of note was the respec coin I saw available for 16k coins, and I was making maybe 1500ish or so per area so it's not ridiculously expensive.

I don't feel that anyone came into this expecting a AAA Uncharted 3 or Skyrim killer, and I find the sentiment that only an idiot would be playing this game this season to be as needlessly condescending as it is irrelevant. I have Gamefly, I won't be missing anything. I also understand having to approach reviewing the title from a perspective of the general gaming population as well, but in reality there were some great deals associated with this game, and there's no way I can avoid recommending this game if you can get it for $20 like I did.

Other games get praised for taking minimalist gameplay approaches, not trying to overcomplicate the mechanics but instead give players a lot to do, yet hack-and-slash games have always offered this (with varying success of course) and frequently get derided as too mindless. For those of us who knew exactly what we wanted when this was announced, there's nothing here that's going to blow your mind, but I'm pretty confident saying it is what you hoped it would be. For those not sure they can be satisfied with these kind of games anymore, there's nothing here that's taking the genre to the next level. For those who've never played this kind of game before but are curious, rent this puppy now.

Curufinwe

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Gripe-wise, one thing that really, really would have been nice is the ability for each person to choose Invert Y axis individually. I live in a TWO-Y-AXIS-PREFERENCE HOUSEHOLD, let me tell you, it was ugly.

Aww, there go my plans of someday playing this with my wife since she's a non-inverter.

Ken

What's the point of the phantom Buy/Sell/Return to town thing? I'd much rather have a phantom Buy/Sell/Repair instead so I don't have to sit through two loading screens just to repair my stuff.

Also, Barrow-wight fights seem unnecessarily tedious.

Regardless, I'm still having fun. However, these small and weird decisions are suppressing my enjoyment from time to time.

Einbroch

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Aww, there go my plans of someday playing this with my wife since she's a non-inverter.
You married a non-inverter? Didn't your mother teach you better?

Thanks for the impressions, Ham. Maybe I'll toss this to the top of the old queue.

Thanks for the impressions, guys. I'm really interested in buying this one, but am having monetary issues so it will have to wait. Hopefully by the time I get it (PC version), there'll have been patches for split-screen co-op and patches for the other small details/gripes you've mentioned.

Thanks for all the impressions, and keep them coming!

Sounds pretty solid to me as a loot-whore. Probably going to wait a bit anyways as I don't really have time at the moment, but looking forward to it.

Hawk269

Spoo said:
Picked this up on Steam on a whim. If any PC GAFfers are looking for a coop partner, I'm game :D Steam name is Spoogeist

He Spoo or anyone else with the PC version. Can anyone confirm and comment on the following:

1. Does the game natively support the 360 controller? So when the game says to hit a key or mouse button when playing with KB/Mouse, when using the 360 controller are the prompts the actual 360 pad buttons?

2. How are the visuals on the PC version? Are you able to apply AA or other advanced fucntions to get max IQ?

3. How is the framerate..Do you need a high end GPU to get 60FPS etc?

Thanks to anyone that can answer.

Hawk269 said:
He Spoo or anyone else with the PC version. Can anyone confirm and comment on the following:

1. Does the game natively support the 360 controller? So when the game says to hit a key or mouse button when playing with KB/Mouse, when using the 360 controller are the prompts the actual 360 pad buttons?

2. How are the visuals on the PC version? Are you able to apply AA or other advanced fucntions to get max IQ?

3. How is the framerate..Do you need a high end GPU to get 60FPS etc?

Thanks to anyone that can answer.
Hope this helps...

1. Yes to both questions

2. Here are pics of the settings options:
witn2011-11-0214-02-212oym.jpg

witn2011-11-0214-02-291o02.jpg

3. Aside from the significant stuttering in the starting town hub Bree, it's pretty smooth. Don't need a super high-end GPU, I have a 5770.

Hawk269

Heavy said:
Hope this helps...

1. Yes to both questions

2. Here are pics of the settings options:
witn2011-11-0214-02-212oym.jpg

witn2011-11-0214-02-291o02.jpg

3. Aside from the significant stuttering in the starting town hub Bree, it's pretty smooth. Don't need a super high-end GPU, I have a 5770.

Thanks Heavy. I did not notice and AA setting or the ability to use FXAA or anything like that. I know some games, even when you try to force AA through the Control Panel, it does not work.

So new question...

1. Are you able to force AA/FXAA/MLAA via Control Panel and it work in the game?

Thanks again!

JdFoX187

Banned
Playing through right now, only level 3, but I'm having a blast. Really fun game and pretty cool Middle Earth storytelling. I like how they focused on something other than the Fellowship. Great combat, which was the one thing I was worried about. Ended up only picking it up because of the Kmart $10 extra coupon. So glad I did. I'm just playing by myself at the moment since no one on my friends list has the game. So if someone wants to join, my gamertag is MasterFox187.

volturnus

Banned
4 hours in and loving the game so far as well.
I have a question for those further into the game: Is it worth it to spend points in Energy as Eradan to use better equipment or should I focus on DEX/STR?

FredFish

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
The thing with super saver is that your item won't ship until there are "X" amount of orders ready for your region.

So I'm at the back of a line that hasn't even formed yet...

The biggest problem I'm having playing as Andriel is what to spend my stat upgrade points on. I played with Farin some and I tended to do well mostly focusing on Stamina and Strength with him, but Andriel seems to need a bit of everything to be good (Unless I'm doing it wrong, haha).
- Strength helps because she spends a lot of time meleeing enemies who get close.
- Dex (I believe) is what makes her magic bolts stronger and I've used those quite a bit when shooting enemies from inside her bubble.
- Stamina seems important for her survival, because she dies really easily in close combat compared to the others.
- Power is a must if you want to use her skills often since stuff like her blasts take up a lot of power (at least early in the game they do).

Some quick notes after a couple more hours of play:

- enjoying the game more and more, just got to Rivendell and wow it looks great and the loot really opened up here...some great stuff, I'm out of coins, totally broke, and I have this great urge to replay the past areas to get more coins and find more loot...this is great, exactly what I want out of a loot-heavy game.

- There are ENORMOUS fps drops when in closed-off areas like caves. Let me preface this by saying fps has never been a big issue for me, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind drops at all and doesn't require smooth 60 fps non-stop, but holy hell...I'm not exaggerating when I say it went down to 15 fps consistently like every time I turned the camera...it was borderline unplayable. It would randomly go from the teens back up to 50-60 and then back down and it was just brutal. Outside gameplay is fine...but these caves are almost unplayable. I experienced this in the undead cave where you fight the undead spirits

- The fact that we can't even switch characters when in town is a huge issue, imo. Some of the design decisions made are baffling. I have to actually quit my game and then select a different char from the main menu and then load the game back up...all to just manage his equip.

- Speaking of that... the best way to be able to manage your party's equip is by buying/looting items while playing the character you want to manage. For example, I wanted to deck out the dwarf (main char is Andriel the elf) so you just select him from the main menu, start the game, go to a town and buy stuff and equip...or just play and use the loot. That's the only way to do this. Their equip DOES get saved. The AI won't use it but the next time you wanna use the dwarf he'll have all the stuff you equipped on him exactly as it was. This is also how you put their stat and skill points...but again, the AI does their own thing so all this is only relevant if you want to switch between characters through the campaign (I think it's a good idea to do this)

- I alluded to earlier about the loot really opening up Rivendell...well the vendors have some great stuff. Much of the best armor seems to require 20 stamina (lvl 11)...so make sure you don't completely neglect your stamina... this goes for all 3 characters, even the elf-only gear required 20 stamina. This was for level 11 gear... the stamina requirement could be higher or lower depending on your level and how good the gear is...I'm sure the requirement gets higher once you're like lvl 20-30+

I feel like I've been too wordy... probably could've summed this up in a conciser manner, but whatever.

Hawk269

FYI...

This was posted in the Steam forums (For PC Version of course). I just gone done purchasing the game with this method and saved my self some dollars.

For anyone whose looking to buy LotR: War In the North just so you know you can snag it @ 13% off initially PLUS 10% off with new voucher code "SERIO-USSAV-INGS7" bringing the final price right now to $38.39 at gmg. Since this is a steamworks game you get a steam redeemable key with a bit of savings left over on the side for a daily deal... or 2!

The game is pretty darn enjoyable, especially if you're a LotR fan

Hawk269

By the way, if anyone wants to do some co-op on the pc version, my username on Steam is:

Stateless

Feel free to add me if you wish. Will be on later tonight playing, currently at around 40% downloaded.

Gattsu25

Banned
So I played this a little yesternight as the mage and I didn't like the game. Even if you play a magic character you are still primarily playing (at least the early parts of) the game as a melee brawler and the magic user has a very low defense rating making the game pretty unwieldy in single player.

The HP and MP regenerate too slowly to make your character rely on passive mana management and over the course of the first three missions I only received a small handful of mana regen items-- further regulating my playstyle to melee combat as a class that crumples if you get glanced at by more than 2 enemies.

The game plays sort of like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance only the bad guys survive many more of your hits and spells and you die much quicker. That was the impression I had of the game until I switched over to the drawf. All of a sudden most bad guys are getting killed in three hits, I can take on large groups of bad guys, I am getting flooded by healing and mana items (and as a result I am able to use magic more freely as the melee class than I could as the mage class), and I'm also enjoying the game more.

I'm not sure if I just had a fluke experience with the mage class or what, though. The game seems good, but playing as the mage (or runemaster I think it's called) seems to put you at a heavy disadvantage in the early stages.

Also, the interface (especially concerning how you manage your teammates) appears to be broken.

I'm enjoying it, though

Gattsu25 said:
So I played this a little yesternight as the mage and I didn't like the game. Even if you play a magic character you are still primarily playing (at least the early parts of) the game as a melee brawler and the magic user has a very low defense rating making the game pretty unwieldy in single player.

The HP and MP regenerate too slowly to make your character rely on passive mana management and over the course of the first three missions I only received a small handful of mana regen items-- further regulating my playstyle to melee combat as a class that crumples if you get glanced at by more than 2 enemies.

The game plays sort of like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance only the bad guys survive many more of your hits and spells and you die much quicker. That was the impression I had of the game until I switched over to the drawf. All of a sudden most bad guys are getting killed in three hits, I can take on large groups of bad guys, I am getting flooded by healing and mana items (and as a result I am able to use magic more freely as the melee class than I could as the mage class), and I'm also enjoying the game more.

I'm not sure if I just had a fluke experience with the mage class or what, though. The game seems good, but playing as the mage (or runemaster I think it's called) seems to put you at a heavy disadvantage in the early stages.

Also, the interface (especially concerning how you manage your teammates) appears to be broken.

I'm enjoying it, though
Yup, the Dwarf is OP.

Heavy said:
- Speaking of that... the best way to be able to manage your party's equip is by buying/looting items while playing the character you want to manage. For example, I wanted to deck out the dwarf (main char is Andriel the elf) so you just select him from the main menu, start the game, go to a town and buy stuff and equip...or just play and use the loot. That's the only way to do this. Their equip DOES get saved. The AI won't use it but the next time you wanna use the dwarf he'll have all the stuff you equipped on him exactly as it was. This is also how you put their stat and skill points...but again, the AI does their own thing so all this is only relevant if you want to switch between characters through the campaign (I think it's a good idea to do this)

That's... actually ingenious. I assume that they pick the best upgrade path and gear for their default role when left to their own devices?

Does the $ get good enough as you go along that you can easily buy the 16k respec coins? Also does the coin get more expensive every time you buy one? I've played other games that are like that.

I ask because I'm planning on sticking to my current class for this whole playthrough then changing to another character for my next playthough and the last character for my playthrough after that. I'm thinking of just buying a respec coin and fix them how I want them when that happens.

---

Another thing, if I join someone's game I will keep the items and whatnot that I earn but I'll still be where I left off progress wise from mine right? I am at Chapter 2-2 and I'm going to help my friend who, is just starting, catch up to me.

Ricker

Having fun but this game is getting hard even on normal if you play solo...the Tharzog fight is annoying.I whish you could swap characters when you want at least.I notice when you swap,the other 2 have levelled up but the skills aren`t used,you have to swap to level their skills up? i`m fighting this Boss with my 2 other characters with 7 points of their skills not used?

Top Bottom