• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So um, hey guys; I just discovered the most broken technique in the entire game. This isn't just hyperbole. It's fucking ridiculous.

You think parry/riposte or backstab do good damage? Do you agree that jumping two-handed R2 attacks with a STR based weapon does some crazy shit? Okay.

Wanna know how to do even more damage and for less energy AND at almost no risk?

I've been experimenting with a new STR build, and messing around using weapons I didn't use much before. I typically do the running shield bash (L1 while sprinting) to open up the tower shield guys, both large and small. It also seemed to be the only way for a STR based character to open them up until much later, and if you have 3/3 Ram.

I wanted to see if Codex was fast enough to sneak a hit in, or if I could jumping attack R2 > R1. That kind of worked, but it took all my energy and wasn't that reliable. So I tried the shield bash. Normally I mash L1 since if I don't , sometimes the bash doesn't happen. I was out in a more open area when trying this and there were a bunch of enemies around, so I just ran through them and mashed L1. Uh, they all exploded except the Knight, who ended up near death.

WTF? So I tried ramming another one directly and mash L1. Didn't get the same results. Hmmm, so I tried sprinting while circle strafing and mashing L1...DEAD. Next I tried it out on the
First Warden enemy that spawns in the Cemetery after you enter the Keystone for the first time
, it absolutely shredded it to bit, and it cost less than a jumping R2 attack. The damage done by each L1 press is based off of the damage of your main hand, and it seems to be around 40%. So just use the most powerful weapon you can regardless of speed and sprint away. Sucks in narrow hallways, but you can avoid fighting in the hallways for pretty much everything besides maybe a single knight.

I haven't tried this on bosses yet, but holy shit. It just demolishes every single normal enemy even more than what you could already do as a STR build. Can anyone say "Charging Star"?

Yeah, this is what I was talking about in this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137110339&postcount=1797

It really is kind of ridiculous. I took a ShadowPlay video of it last night, but didn't take the time to post to YouTube.

Didn't know the damage was determined by your main hand. I'll have to switch over to my strongest and heaviest weapon.

I almost feel bad about exploiting it, but none of the weapons I've discovered in this game feel fun to use at all. Everything is slow as molasses and the game constantly throws multiple fast enemies at you who have boatloads of HP and are super agile/can block at a moment's notice. It's really not a lot of fun to play traditionally at the moment. I'm around level 40 and just got to the Infiltrator boss if that's any hint to where I am in the game.

Damage sponge enemies are so goddamn boring. The game was fine in this respect up until you go into the alternate dimension or whatever after the third boss.

Sanctuary

Yep it even works on bosses, I recorded the end of a fight against one of the later bosses which you can see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4gtpyql8A

Heh, whenever I would do that against larger enemies, it just made me think of a can opener.

I replied not long after that I had just killed two bosses with it. I also had someone using the Xbone version test it out to make sure it wasn't limited to a PC specific bug of some type. That really just kills any challange unless you just ignore it. I wasn't actually looking for some cheesy way to trivialize the game and just kind of happened upon it accidentally.

I do think however that it is "ok" to use against the larger, demonic tower shield guys
(not The First Warden clones).
. They seem almost like bosses due to how much damage they can dish out, and while you can just joust them to death, it takes a while and they are super annoying from the start of the game until the end. Someone was saying though that the gauntlet takes care of them in two shots, but I stopped bothering with it on my STR/AGI characters, so maybe I'll see if that actually works.

BTW, the jumping in this game fucking sucks. Not the platforming, but the actual jumping. I can't count how many times I've troed to sprint and do a jumping attack, only for my character to go sailing past the enemy without attacking.

Btw, I just got a flawless luck rune, those seems to up your dmg a lot.

What magic school are you using? I used Deception with my Rogu, even though I wasn't so sure it was actually going to be worth it. As it turns out, it's not. Stab has bad tracking issues and seems to do the same damage as Ram, yet Ram can easily knock down multiple enemies with a single cast. The Vanish ability (at least at 2/3) is either buggy, or you just need it to be 3/3 for the late enemies to not see through it, but you need 21 FTH for that, so that was out of the question. The best thing about the tree IMO is Mimic, which performs kind of like Rage does, except it has a shorter cooldown and is a lot more burst, instead of just energy efficiency with a damage boost. The entire time I was playing my Rogue, all I could think about was how much easier life would be in every way using the Solace tree, for so many reasons. Shelter (bugged?) regenerates health, while Daze would make backstabbing extremely easy, and Punishment just kind of wrecks the shielded enemies, which would allow you do get off a full dual-wielding combo. This is just in theory, but from playing my Cleric and seeing what the Solace tree did and then completing the game as a Rogue, it just seems like that's the route to go.

STR builds really are kind of "broken" compared to other builds, but the main reason is because your damage stat also helps with your maximum carrying weight. STR weapons weigh more anyway, but by just going STR/END (and the Back Breaker ring) you can run around without a shield and two-hand attack everything at maximum speed anyway while still being able to put on a bit better protection than an AGI character. Although you still won't be able to use FULL heavy and stat at max speed until very late in the game, and only if you gorged on END. You can actually run around in heavy armor as a Rogue too, but it just seems to defeat the purpose of picking that class outside of being able to use daggers or claws.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Restarted game as a Rogue (at end boss on my Faith build and not really finding much of a challenge. Graveyard Axe makes a lot of the fights trivial).

The Rogue however is in the opposite direction, and not really in a fun way. I'm sure it gets easier, but hooboy at the beginning it is just a slog. I get that the Rogue class was meant to be the loopy weaker class and thus a "greater" challenge. . .but that really shouldn't be the way you make a game challenging.

Sanctuary

Restarted game as a Rogue (at end boss on my Faith build and not really finding much of a challenge. Graveyard Axe makes a lot of the fights trivial).

The Rogue however is in the opposite direction, and not really in a fun way. I'm sure it gets easier, but hooboy at the beginning it is just a slog. I get that the Rogue class was meant to be the loopy weaker class and thus a "greater" challenge. . .but that really shouldn't be the way you make a game challenging.

It really is stupid, but there's two things you can do to offset it somewhat. Both of which do not sound very "Rogue like" to me.

1. Pick the Solace tree since it starts with Prayer unlocked from the beginning, and has a bunch of other spells that seem to benefit the Rogue the most.

2. Wear the Heavy Armor you find early on for the tougher enemies like spiders or while just trying to learn how to parry/riposte. It's pretty dumb, but then the actual design is fucking dumb and the damage potential isn't really there for the downsides.

This is what I am doing now on my second Rogue run. I just hate how I'm basically just a Warrior that can parry, but with less burst and less range on half of the normal enemies, and all of the bosses.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
uh I missed the gauntlet tooltip text.... how does it work exactly?

Game is pretty unpolished in a lot of regards, but I like the funk-thunkiness of the combat

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i have a question, and not about this game in particular but in general... why do people try to find ways to break games, and when they do, why play like that? im just wondering

reminds me of my wow days when people used exploits and I just didnt get it. I was never a fan of cheat codes either so I guess thats part of why I dont get it

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
i have a question, and not about this game in particular but in general... why do people try to find ways to break games, and when they do, why play like that? im just wondering

reminds me of my wow days when people used exploits and I just didnt get it. I was never a fan of cheat codes either so I guess thats part of why I dont get it

I think you're misunderstanding.

No one was searching for this shield bash exploit. Pressing the block button while running and being able to bash into the enemy is a cool mechanic that they put into the game. When I discovered it after experimentation, I was really excited. Then I ran into this glitch and... holy shit. I don't think this game had much of a testing process.

Sanctuary

I think you're misunderstanding.

No one was searching for this shield bash exploit. Pressing the block button while running and being able to bash into the enemy is a cool mechanic that they put into the game. When I discovered it after experimentation, I was really excited. Then I ran into this glitch and... holy shit. I don't think this game had much of a testing process.

Exactly. I'm not even using it, I just posted about it (didn't see your inital post) because of how fucking absurd it was, and how it literally breaks the game. I'd still rather someone use it if they are somewhat bad at this and would rather quit the game instead of trying to finish it because they can't get past something.

I don't really feel like it matters though overall if you've already finished the game twice the legit way.

Sanctuary

Okay, the Solace tree is the difinitive tree for an AGI character. It's actually even more ridiculous than I had first assumed it would be, and the Deception tree is just complete, and utter shit in comparison (Stab has a 50% chance of not even hitting and Mimic is the only good option from the three unique spells).

Shelter seems bugged. It's been mentioned before how broken it is at 3/3, but even at 1/3 it allows you to take hits while fighting and not worry nearly as much as needing to create space to use a potion, that you may or may not drink in time.

Daze is basically a bullet time field. If an enemy enters it, they drastically slow down. This lets you go for backstabs, or dual-wield combos for those that can't be backstabbed (or just because you feel like it).

Punishment just seems like overkill, and I guess it just depends on whether or not you want to spend even more points in FTH, or just stick with raising AGI/END for damage and defense.

Now I can't even think of a reason to use Deception for any class. Brawler is good for both the Warrior and the Cleric (I think they are actually the best for those two classes) and Solace is crazy on a Rogue. A Warrior could benefit from it as well, but Rage just decimates bosses.

I'm having a tough time with the Worshiper. What builds and tactics are recommended? I barely played the Souls games so this type of game isn't immediately comfortable to me. I'm a Brawler with Prayer/Ram/Rage all at level 2 so far. What combinations of weapons and armor should I be using? What attributes should I be upgrading? What moves should I be using?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

AllenShrz

The more I play this game the more boring it gets.

The fights are unexpired and tedious. Pity because I do really like the scenery..

ZangBa

I just finished the game at the base level without using the checkpoint at all. There is no reward at the end unless the 5 attribute shards I used to give myself 14 endurance is somehow against the rules, but whatever, it was still fun and I enjoyed it. My friend joined me while I streamed it so it made it more enjoyable for me to suffer the final boss. I didn't abuse shield bash by circling bosses, but I did use it one hit at a time for the brothers.

Ferr986

What magic school are you using? I used Deception with my Rogu, even though I wasn't so sure it was actually going to be worth it. As it turns out, it's not. Stab has bad tracking issues and seems to do the same damage as Ram, yet Ram can easily knock down multiple enemies with a single cast. The Vanish ability (at least at 2/3) is either buggy, or you just need it to be 3/3 for the late enemies to not see through it, but you need 21 FTH for that, so that was out of the question. The best thing about the tree IMO is Mimic, which performs kind of like Rage does, except it has a shorter cooldown and is a lot more burst, instead of just energy efficiency with a damage boost. The entire time I was playing my Rogue, all I could think about was how much easier life would be in every way using the Solace tree, for so many reasons. Shelter (bugged?) regenerates health, while Daze would make backstabbing extremely easy, and Punishment just kind of wrecks the shielded enemies, which would allow you do get off a full dual-wielding combo. This is just in theory, but from playing my Cleric and seeing what the Solace tree did and then completing the game as a Rogue, it just seems like that's the route to go.

STR builds really are kind of "broken" compared to other builds, but the main reason is because your damage stat also helps with your maximum carrying weight. STR weapons weigh more anyway, but by just going STR/END (and the Back Breaker ring) you can run around without a shield and two-hand attack everything at maximum speed anyway while still being able to put on a bit better protection than an AGI character. Although you still won't be able to use FULL heavy and stat at max speed until very late in the game, and only if you gorged on END. You can actually run around in heavy armor as a Rogue too, but it just seems to defeat the purpose of picking that class outside of being able to use daggers or claws.

Im using the Warrior one. I started as a Warrior with its spells but moved onto light/medium armor and AGI weps.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
fellow gaf humans!

I got some news. Wrote an email to the lords of the fallen page, got an answer to send our "bug report" to the developer with an email address.

send it to them two hours ago, already got an answer:

thank you for the feedback. We are currently working on a solution for the stability problems so please stay tuned!

It is designed that the checkpoint shards do not refill all the potions (it has its limitations).

Best regards,
CI Games support

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Excellent work man, that sounds great! Patched Lords sounds HYPE!

kencey

From Steam forum:

A new patch for Lords of the Fallen was just released. It fixes the APEX DLL issue that users have encountered lately. The patch improves the game stability.

Patch notes:
- Improved game stability
- Advanced display settings are now saved after restart
- Fixed Catacombs door spawn point
- Fixed Catacombs pit issue- unfortunately, the fix does not get you out of the hole; it prevents the issue occurrence.

We are still working on another patch that would improve other game stability & gameplay issues.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Love this support. Keep it up!

What the fuck is this game....seriously. I'm fighting a silver knight (lots of armor) and I can't do damage at all. After 10 minutes of hitting him with my axe (5 damage points per hit) he decides to run away and come back with full health (after 2 seconds). I'm not sure if I can play this game any longer....

Ferr986

What the fuck is this game....seriously. I'm fighting a silver knight (lots of armor) and I can't do damage at all. After 10 minutes of hitting him with my axe (5 damage points per hit) he decides to run away and come back with full health (after 2 seconds). I'm not sure if I can play this game any longer....

5 damage is too low. You're probably hitting his shield. Try to attack him after he does an attack or push him with your shield (sprint + shield up) to be able to hit it directly.

Also, If you are to the point to be able to unlock runes, try to get a flawless luck rune (you can restart the game if you didnt got it, its random) and attach it to your best weapon for more damage.

5 damage is too low. You're probably hitting his shield. Try to attack him after he does an attack or push him with your shield (sprint + shield up) to be able to hit it directly.

Also, If you are to the point to be able to unlock runes, try to get a flawless luck rune (you can restart the game if you didnt got it, its random) and attach it to your best weapon for more damage.

Yeah I am! I'll try it :)

Yoshichan

Keep it up Dark! I have faith in you brother!!

Yoshichan

lionpants

I'm having a tough time with the Worshiper. What builds and tactics are recommended? I barely played the Souls games so this type of game isn't immediately comfortable to me. I'm a Brawler with Prayer/Ram/Rage all at level 2 so far. What combinations of weapons and armor should I be using? What attributes should I be upgrading? What moves should I be using?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
This boss was really the only one I had trouble with. He's too fast and summons support too fast for your slow ass character too keep up. I was able to defeat him including unlocking his special weapon with the following tips in mind.

- Wear medium/light armor and dodge him instead of blocking.

- When he slams the ground to summon the 3 spikes, start running, count the spikes and just as the third spike comes out, run jump attack him. You'll be able to roll away right after if you time it correctly.

- When he summons the cocoons, you can destroy them before the minions hatch. Run to the closest cocoon, roll/jump through it to break it, then hip fire your Projectile Gauntlet towards the second cocoon, it'll partially auto target. Save mana for this. If you screw this up, use Prayer to distract them.

- If you stay close to him, he wont do the triple spike move as much and will not summon as much.

- When he summons the lightning patches, do not attack him (he regenerates health). Run to the nearest shrine/pavilion and stand under it to avoid the deadly attack.

- Do not get hit by the stunning attack (blue aura underneath him), just roll away and jump attack right after it goes off.

- If you can manage to get him near a shrine/pavilion, when he does a stun attack near the shrine/pavilion it will be destroyed and he will be stunned for quite a while. Use your Rage and go all out on him. Don't destroy too many because you need them for the phase transitions. If you're in the last segment of his health bar you can destroy as many as you want though. This was the key mechanic I was missing, once I started doing this he was easy.

- Having him kill 2 of his minions (bait his swings to hit them) will unlock his special weapon.

Overall, he's one of the coolest bosses so far mechanically. Dealing with the minions is a royal pain in the ass though, specially with the buggy lock-on and the game locking up for a split second every so often, so break their cocoons.

altez

Neo Member
The Deception skill tree is so ridiculously bad.

Mimic usually bugs out, combined with the fact that he stands a small distance behind you so it has less reach and doesn't often hit when you need it. The duration of the illusion is rather short and is at best good for 2 or 3 swings in practice.

Stab runs so slowly at its target and doesn't seem to be useful at all against larger enemies, it does poor damage. I guess it's nice that it knocks the enemy down, but for some reason they usually stand up much quicker than when they're normally knocked down.

Shift seems really shit for damage, I have only 1 point into it though, but it's doing less damage than my regular attacks.

Other than completely regretting my spell tree I'm having fun running around as an agi character. It's a bummer a majority of the really cool equipment seems to belong to strength characters and I'm generally stuck with the same staves and the occasional short sword/fist/daggers that aren't completely awful. I've found an agility axe that is amazing though, albeit ridiculously slow and I have no idea why it's agility but it's quickly become my favorite weapon.

Armor makes a huge difference in this game, more so than it ever felt like it did in the souls series. Switching from all light armor to all heavy armor to test damage received from certain enemies changed me from getting 1 hit, to being like 5 hit to get killed. Strength characters feel like they get every advantage in the game while Agility feels like a weaker iteration of the main character altogether.

Oh no! I have just started the game as a rogue picking this tree! Maybe I have mad a bad choice :(

I am hoping I will eventually get some cool AGI weapons.

I'm really thinking about changing from STR to AGI because my char is so slow :/

BTW: how do you kill those
mages
?

altez

Neo Member
Oh no! I have just started the game as a rogue picking this tree! Maybe I have mad a bad choice :(

I am hoping I will eventually get some cool AGI weapons.

The agi weapons are fun to mess around with, you'll just be seeing a lot of interesting STR weapons you wish you could use.You'll eventually find a short sword that gets stronger the more enemies you kill with it.

The skills on the other hand, if you want to invest any points into any skill, mimic is probably the best despite the issues I had with it.

kencey

Does it prevent crashing when the little dudes blow up? How about the fire breath from the fire bro.

That's the first thing i checked before i had to go to work. I had 10min to test it, and i let the little fire dog explode, no crashes. Will test some more tonight.

Ferr986

OK Im doing more damage in a lot of monsters with a 116 DMG STR sword (0% scaling) at lvl 12 of STR than with a 145 AGI staff (4% scaling) at lvl 24 of AGI.
And in the cases where I do more DMG with the staff, the difference is really.

Ooccoo

wow this game is crap so far

playing on PS4 and glad I rented it

some of the worst screen tearing I've ever seen. How could they not see it? Downloading patch but still fucking sad

also the game balance is bad. Spiders are the worst, seriously. So far the best technique is get around monster, stab, repeat. Hopefully gets better.

Ferr986

Aaand done.
Final boss wasnt that bad considering he just liked to spam the same mash attack over and over. Once I got it, it was easy. Funny that I beat him with a STR weapon as a AGI character but oh well.

Overall it was a good game, but with some BIG flaws, especially in balance. It doesnt reach the level of any of the Souls games, but its a good game if you dont compare to those. Still, I would like to see Lords 2, because there's a lot of potential, they nailed the gameplay. They just need the balance that FROM put in the Souls series (also, more content, game is rather short in areas and enemies).

seabass0

So, I beat this with a Rogue (first playthrough) last night. I've heard that the Rogue is the most challenging class to play the game with, and I didn't have much trouble.

I just don't feel the need to play NG+ or start a new class, especially if a Warrior or Cleric would be even easier. I had some fun, but I think I'm gonna trade this one in. Do you guys think there's a reason I should hold on to it?

Top Bottom