• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Seth C

I've taken the buses for 4 years here and they are NOT fine. Maybe for a casual visit (the subway system is pretty nice, it just doesn't go anywhere) it works out OK, but when I was taking my route from ktown to Torrance (6 different buses a day), at least 2-3 times a week one just wouldn't show at all. They also keep cutting the bus lines, and that's why I ended up taking 6 a day instead of the previous 4.

All about perspective, I suppose. A friend of mine did an internship for 3 months and the required him to be on trains and buses for about 90 minutes a day from downtown LA to, but it worked. Meanwhile public transit in my city is so terribly bad that while I live only a mile from the center of downtown I once chose to walk 7 miles because it would be quicker than waiting for the bus...

Zyzyxxz

If we do a meetup has to be a place that can accommodate 10+ people. Something like all you can eat Korean BBQ would be pretty.

Part of the problem with bus transit in LA is that there are so many "cities" each with their own transit department and it becomes a complicated mess to transfer between them.

I live along the Culver City line and last year when I had no car I would take the Culver City line to a transit center and then LA Metro to my job in Mid Wilshire. I bought a metro card so that I wouldn't have to get bus fair every week, only to find out that the Metro card didn't work for transfers and didn't work with Culver City bus.

Also with traffic and what not, sometimes if you miss a bus by a minute (whether through your fault or the previous bus') you can be waiting 45+ minutes for the next bus. There have been instances where I've walked multiple miles after missing a bus because I knew I wasn't gonna see the next one any time soon.

pretty much its so bullshit how the public trans in the county works.

Langers #19 forever. and ever. Oh and the dude who said Dogtown Dogs has good hot dogs obviously wants to fight. Come at me bro.

No but seriously, it's awesome that much of LAGaf is down with food trucks, since starting mine up last year I've eaten off many of my colleagues trucks. My favorites are:

Great Balls on Tires
Get Toasted (fried pork belly salbutes)
Wake n' Bake Wagon (the 'truffle shuffle' specifically)
Gourmet Genie (Lamb sliders, hnnnng)
Lake St. Creamery (The 'Don Draper' x infinity)
Honorable mention to Lardon, my dear friends who sadly closed up shop last august RIP BACO.

WTF Lardon closed and I recommended it?! Not surprising since this industry has such a large turnover rate of trucks.

Great Balls is awesome though the owner is cool as heck.

SummerSlam is going to be at the Staples Center this August. Me and gf are thinking about taking a vacation for around a week to explore the city and watch SS. Pretty excited for the opportunity.

whats wrong with dogstown? they are the only hotdog truck that comes by my work and they have the trailer trash dog with nacho cheese tots. the guys are cool too, not shady like some of the food trucks. However I think most of the trucks that come by my work are slightly overpriced...but its better than La Salsa and Quiznos.

http://www.thewien.com/ looks good, is this your truck? Because its not scheduled to come to food truck row in Santa Monica.....like ever :(

No love for Shrimp Pimp but love for Dim Sum truck definitely. I forgot it on my list.

and those looking for chinese food, check out Yang chow.

There's nothing wrong with dogtown, I'm just being a low-key hater. But i'm positive our dogs are better, and our mascot is way cooler.

Now there's two of us in Santa Monica that want The Wien. That's gotta be worth the trip, right? Weekdays only please!

We'll be making our way to Santa Monica regularly come mid-Feb. We're in the Valley a lot; we're based off an old hot dog stand that was in Sherman Oaks for like 35 years, so we do really well in those neck of the woods. Lately I've been getting a decent amount of requests on our website for us to visit Culver City/Santa Monica so I'll keep you guys updated and maybe you pencil in some face time with my Wien. Har.

If we do a meetup has to be a place that can accommodate 10+ people. Something like all you can eat Korean BBQ would be pretty.

pretty much its so bullshit how the public trans in the county works.

WTF Lardon closed and I recommended it?! Not surprising since this industry has such a large turnover rate of trucks.

Great Balls is awesome though the owner is cool as heck.

Oh man, I'm super down for Korean BBQ meetup. Especially since my knowledge of good Korean BBQ places is very limited.

Sadly yes, Lardon is done. It was very much more to do with their personal lives than it was the truck's popularity itself. They helped me immensely when I was starting out. I learned a lot from them, and even named a hot dog after them.

Someone mentioned Ta Bom, who also had amazing food. They closed up shop a couple weeks ago, from my understanding. They're dropping like flies now.

Shin is a pretty decent korean BBQ place, and it has a 20-25 bucks all you can eat. Took my girlfriend there for her birthday. Don't remember where it's at, I'm not from the area, I come to visit her every so often.

Thanks for this topic. I have a plan to go to LA by early next year.

Can anyone offer any tips regarding an average cost of living there for 12 months? Say, rent, food, transportation, etc.

We'll be making our way to Santa Monica regularly come mid-Feb. We're in the Valley a lot; we're based off an old hot dog stand that was in Sherman Oaks for like 35 years, so we do really well in those neck of the woods. Lately I've been getting a decent amount of requests on our website for us to visit Culver City/Santa Monica so I'll keep you guys updated and maybe you pencil in some face time with my Wien. Har.

Awesome :) Looking forward to it!

Anybody try wurtkuchie? They opened up a restaurant in Venice in October and I haven't been yet. I was wondering if it was worth the hype. The rattlesnake & rabbit brat sounds fantastic.

Wurstkuche is great, if a little pricey. I've only been to the one in/near Little Tokyo though.

The rattlesnake & rabbit is good, if a little buttery for my tastes. the fries and dipping sauces there are excellent though. Dipping fries in a little thai peanut sauce, or walnut, bleu cheese and bacon... yum!

d0c_zaius

From what I understand they are the Joker to her Batman
I believe she owns a hot dog truck herself

How would you guys feel about getting together to watch some nerdy ass movies as they come into theaters? Like the kind I wouldn't take a date to. Underworld and Resident Evil come to mind -_-

oh ok that makes sense. I might be down for a flick sometime.

Now there's two of us in Santa Monica that want The Wien. That's gotta be worth the trip, right? Weekdays only please!

Yep, slippery shrimp forever.

Marn recommended Yang Chow! Specifically I need The Wien to come to 26th and Penn in Santa Monica. (aka food truck row)

Game play is awesome because they break street dates. If you ever want a game a week early they are the place to go.

SOULLLLLL CALLLLIBURRRR 5

Just checked out Tainamite's menu online, and outside of one dish which uses Taiwanese style sausages, nothing on that menu is Taiwanese.

Also, did Hyper Games move? B/c the last time I was around Sawtelle about a month ago, that store was completely closed down.

Sorry I should have clarified, it's not specifically Taiwanese food but just influenced by that region. Its mostly standard asian/food truck dishes but with non-typical seasoning and flavors. Their motto is that the food should taste good without covering it sauces.

Hyper game is now located across the street, in that plaza with Curry House. Its on the second floor opposite of Curry House.

There's nothing wrong with dogtown, I'm just being a low-key hater. But i'm positive our dogs are better, and our mascot is way cooler.

I look forward to checking it out. The pics on the site got me hungry!

and with that, my first real multi-quote.

Anybody try wurtkuchie? They opened up a restaurant in Venice in October and I haven't been yet. I was wondering if it was worth the hype. The rattlesnake & rabbit brat sounds fantastic.

I went once and I really didn't find any of the food that great tasting. Yeah you can get something exotic like alligator, but it seemed more like a gimmick than anything else. I'd rather they do an amazing pork/beef sausage than a bunch of mediocre rabbit, rattlesnake, etc. ones.

d0c_zaius

402178_338477892837334_100000253773284_1249409_1413285560_n.jpg

and heres a pic of Hole in the Wall burgers, hiding next to an alley in West LA. Best burger place no one knows about! and a pic of the burger:

6732404601_0c342f9862.jpg

Korean BBQ's are amazing, just be ready to EAT...get your money's worth, cause it can get pretty expensive.

Yea I used to do KBBQ all the time in SF. Would be interested to see if theres a place in LA that can hang with Han Il Kwan.

CFMOORE!

and heres a pic of Hole in the Wall burgers, hiding next to an alley in West LA. Best burger place no one knows about!

Yea I used to do KBBQ all the time in SF. Would be interested to see if theres a place in LA that can hang with Han Il Kwan.

I know about it. Love it!

Nekobo

San Gabriel Valley native here. Mostly cafes and boba in my neck of the woods, so I like to venture out to LA for grub.

I went to Fukuburger a few weeks back...the Tamago Burger is ace. I also dig Kalbi Burger in K-town. Good stuff.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Can anyone offer any tips regarding an average cost of living there for 12 months? Say, rent, food, transportation, etc.

I survived my first year off about $9,000.

I would absolutely not recommend that.

and heres a pic of Hole in the Wall burgers, hiding next to an alley in West LA. Best burger place no one knows about! and a pic of the burger:

I am so going here. Thank you!

CFMOORE!

As the other poster pointed out, 20k is probably best for an easier living situation. This amount will get you a decent place, going out, food, etc

If you come here with less, you might very well end up miserable.

Hey, didn't know there was an OT for this!

Nice, I live in the Los Feliz/SilverLake area and go to school in Hollywood. I've lived here for over a year now, but I'm still not a pro on all the food places. If you want to know some good Hipster places... I know some. Haha.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Italian food yet, my all time favorite place is Al Gelato in Beverly Hills. They hand make their pasta, and bake the most amazing bread. Plates are 11-15 bucks a pop and are very generous. They have an amazing selection of baked goods (the yellow cake is absolute bonerfuel) and terrific gelato (also made in house).

I always get the rigatoni with the in the house basil tomato sauce with breaded chicken cutlet, but the meatballs are also intensely good. Very, very highly recommended.

I was wondering, LAGAF. What are your favorite things to do/see around town outside of food? I love hiking myself, and there's a plethora of great trials here in LA:

these are two of my perennial favorites.
Mishe Mokwa Trail
Bridge to Nowhere (San Gabriel Valley)

I also really love visiting the Griffith Observatory when they have their monthly 'Star Parties'. They put telescopes out on the front lawn and have a bunch of very knowledgeable albeit amateur astronomers on hand to answer questions, or help you find what you're looking for in the night sky.

As for nightlife, my go-to's are Footsies in Highland Park, The Black Boar in Eagle Rock, Cosmos in Little Tokyo, or La Cita Downtown for dancing. I'm kind of tired of the rotation, anyone have any good bar recommendations?

d0c_zaius

We should do a meet up around E3 time since I'll be in town then. :)

fake LAN e3 G.E.V. party go?

I don't think anyone has mentioned Italian food yet, my all time favorite place is Al Gelato in Beverly Hills. They hand make their pasta, and bake the most amazing bread. Plates are 11-15 bucks a pop and are very generous. They have an amazing selection of baked goods (the yellow cake is absolute bonerfuel) and terrific gelato (also made in house).

I always get the rigatoni with the in the house basil tomato sauce with breaded chicken cutlet, but the meatballs are also intensely good. Very, very highly recommended.

and now I must check this place out

Zyzyxxz

I've been to the one in Arts District/Little Tokyo several times. It's overhyped and a hipster magnet. Duck bacon sausage is good but everything else tastes the same and they don't make their own sausage but rather buy it from some place in Montrose.

Iceman

As the other poster pointed out, 20k is probably best for an easier living situation. This amount will get you a decent place, going out, food, etc

If you come here with less, you might very well end up miserable.

For a year? Help me figure this out. Lets say best case scenario, you find a room for rent with all utilities, tv and internet included for $500 a month AND you can do all your laundry there (realistically, this will be over $700/mo in a decent neighborhood). Lets say you already own a car.. so that's free. But gas will cost you upwards of $200 a month for an average daily commute of 25 miles in a 18/25mpg car (with the occasional longer road trip). Auto liability insurance will cost between $456-776/year on average (depending on whether you elect to pay for collision and comprehensive). Car registration will be close to $100. Let say car repairs and maintenance only costs $500 in that year.

Lets say you go out with some frequency to eat; that's $300 a month right there (including routine groceries), conservatively. You forgo health and dental insurance, $0. You'll need money for show tickets, entrance to whatnot, movie tickets, etc. ~$100 a month (you'll need about $150 for Disney for a single day, btw). Cell phone (lets go with a prepaid smartphone) will cost $45/mo.

Exclude netflix or any other subscriptions, taxes break even, no tithing at a church, or charitable giving whatsoever, no student loan payments, or credit card payments...

The preliminary budget should be :
$13740 for rent (+utilities/tv/internet/laundry), food, gas, cell phone
$1056 for car related expenses

So that's about $15000 bare minimum (with some lucky breaks). Not bad. I guess $20K is doable.

I've been to the one in Arts District/Little Tokyo several times. It's overhyped and a hipster magnet. Duck bacon sausage is good but everything else tastes the same and they don't make their own sausage but rather buy it from some place in Montrose.

Shit dude, remember Grindhaus? Those dudes were legit. Sad they lost both the truck and the shop. That duck sausage with chocolate and cherry was surprisingly good

PG2G

and heres a pic of Hole in the Wall burgers, hiding next to an alley in West LA. Best burger place no one knows about!
I think it's pretty decent fot the convenience but nothing special. Nobody in my circle of burger lovers though much of it either. In the same price range, golden state is much better. Unfortunately it's not in west la :/

bluemax

Banned
Oh man, I'm super down for Korean BBQ meetup. Especially since my knowledge of good Korean BBQ places is very limited.

Sadly yes, Lardon is done. It was very much more to do with their personal lives than it was the truck's popularity itself. They helped me immensely when I was starting out. I learned a lot from them, and even named a hot dog after them.

Someone mentioned Ta Bom, who also had amazing food. They closed up shop a couple weeks ago, from my understanding. They're dropping like flies now.

Best Korean BBQ place I ever ate at was some random one in Gardena I decided to try on a whim. I have no idea what it was called though.

Depends entirely upon which part of LA you want to live in.

CFMOORE!

For a year? Help me figure this out. Lets say best case scenario, you find a room for rent with all utilities, tv and internet included for $500 a month AND you can do all your laundry there (realistically, this will be over $700/mo in a decent neighborhood). Lets say you already own a car.. so that's free. But gas will cost you upwards of $200 a month for an average daily commute of 25 miles in a 18/25mpg car (with the occasional longer road trip). Auto liability insurance will cost between $456-776/year on average (depending on whether you elect to pay for collision and comprehensive). Car registration will be close to $100. Let say car repairs and maintenance only costs $500 in that year.

Lets say you go out with some frequency to eat; that's $300 a month right there (including routine groceries), conservatively. You forgo health and dental insurance, $0. You'll need money for show tickets, entrance to whatnot, movie tickets, etc. ~$100 a month (you'll need about $150 for Disney for a single day, btw). Cell phone (lets go with a prepaid smartphone) will cost $45/mo.

Exclude netflix or any other subscriptions, taxes break even, no tithing at a church, or charitable giving whatsoever, no student loan payments, or credit card payments...

The preliminary budget should be :
$13740 for rent (+utilities/tv/internet/laundry), food, gas, cell phone
$1056 for car related expenses

So that's about $15000 bare minimum (with some lucky breaks). Not bad. I guess $20K is doable.

That's why I said that it depends on where you choose to live and how you choose (roommate versus going it alone). But to live a non struggle type of life, 20k a year is quite nice and affords you the ability to be quite comfortable in this city.

Nakazato

Hoping to Move out there in the next 6-12 months need to find a good paying job were i am 1st so i can move with at least 12-20k

Phthisis

I was wondering, LAGAF. What are your favorite things to do/see around town outside of food? I love hiking myself, and there's a plethora of great trials here in LA:

these are two of my perennial favorites.
Mishe Mokwa Trail
Bridge to Nowhere (San Gabriel Valley)

Done both of these, truly excellent (especially Bridge to Nowhere during the summer. That swim is epic).

I additionally recommend Solstice Canyon and Malibu Canyon, both off PCH. I also tackled Tri-Peaks/Sandstone a couple months ago. That one is an ass kicker, but lets you bag the highest point in the Santa Monica mountains.

Incidentally, I'm friends with the guy who owns and runs modernhiker.com. That site is great.

Nintendoll said:
As for nightlife, my go-to's are Footsies in Highland Park, The Black Boar in Eagle Rock, Cosmos in Little Tokyo, or La Cita Downtown for dancing. I'm kind of tired of the rotation, anyone have any good bar recommendations?

The Woods on La Brea and Sunset has a great atmosphere. I also really like Bigfoot West on Venice. If you're more into clubs, I frequent Avalon quite regularly on nights where DJs are playing. They draw big names.

Iceman

Lets setup a K-town bbq meetup for next weekend. Anyone know of a place that can situate a cool dozen at one table?

bluemax

Banned
Done both of these, truly excellent (especially Bridge to Nowhere during the summer. That swim is epic).

I additionally recommend Solstice Canyon and Malibu Canyon, both off PCH. I also tackled Tri-Peaks/Sandstone a couple months ago. That one is an ass kicker, but lets you bag the highest point in the Santa Monica mountains.

Incidentally, I'm friends with the guy who owns and runs modernhiker.com. That site is great.

The Woods on La Brea and Sunset has a great atmosphere. I also really like Bigfoot West on Venice. If you're more into clubs, I frequent Avalon quite regularly on nights where DJs are playing. They draw big names.

I've never been to BFW but I know a lot of people who go there, maybe I should actually try it at some point.

Hmm, this truck is going to be near my office tonight. I might stop by after work.

awesome! if you stop by, be sure to say hi, i'll likely be on the grill tonight so be sure to get my attention first before ordering, so I give you the GAF discount.

I wouldn't mind moving to any place with better public transit, but I'd probably head to NY if I did. ;) And didn't know you guys hated it so much. AX is kind of a grimy time to visit.

Oh, we loved meeting you guys, mind, but it the city itself was really kind of blah and hot. I think I got some sunburn just walking around.

I've taken the buses for 4 years here and they are NOT fine. Maybe for a casual visit (the subway system is pretty nice, it just doesn't go anywhere) it works out OK, but when I was taking my route from ktown to Torrance (6 different buses a day), at least 2-3 times a week one just wouldn't show at all. They also keep cutting the bus lines, and that's why I ended up taking 6 a day instead of the previous 4.

And to think you were trying to get Trails done in the middle of all this. :x

Lets setup a K-town bbq meetup for next weekend. Anyone know of a place that can situate a cool dozen at one table?

Yi Ssi Wha Ro (6th/Alexandria) has tables like that, but I think they all pretty much do. I like that place because they are pretty chill. Other places can tend to rush you out to maximize their profits.

Top Bottom