• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Blue Stinger

Sgblues

I had chipped in to buy this for a friend for his birthday, and he still has it, haha.

I kinda miss the days when we got these RE type games, sure a lot of them were goofy but they had their own certain style and also different locations from the standard mansion/lab areas that RE would take place.

I never did get a VGA box for my DC but I do have my broadband adapter (PSO made me buy it), and lately I've been ripping my DC games to the PC and playing them with Null-DC. I wonder if Blue Stinger works in Null-DC so I can enable VGA mode? If not then the good old S-video will have to suffice.

I really should just bite the bullet and get a VGA box finally...

Definitely go for the VGA Box, just make sure you get the Japanese version of BS. The localization is garbage.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I had chipped in to buy this for a friend for his birthday, and he still has it, haha.

I kinda miss the days when we got these RE type games, sure a lot of them were goofy but they had their own certain style and also different locations from the standard mansion/lab areas that RE would take place.

I agree, there was an over-saturation of them at the time, but now I would love if more games like that existed.

Nocturnx

I loved this game! I remember all the mediocre reviews it got and I loved it anyway. The Christmas atmosphere, the over the top storyline, the cheesy dialog and voice acting... I loved every little campy bit of it. I would love to see this make it to the PSN store. Any chance of that? It was published by Activision after all.

kyoya

I would love to see this make it to the PSN store. Any chance of that? It was published by Activision after all.

Activision just had the Dreamcast publishing rights, the copyrights for both Blue Stinger and Illbleed are held by Sega Corporation since development was primarily financed by them. Any port or re-release of either game would have to be negotiated through Sega.

Nocturnx

Sega released Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on PSN so maybe there is hope then. I don't know if it would be popular enough for them to bother. Start a petition anyone? I'm probably very much in the minority on this game lol.

I tried playing through this, got about 3-4 hours into it (near the cold factory) and just can't put any more time into this game. So clunky. Love the visual style though.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Uh that brings back memories!

There was a sequel on PS2 wasn't there? I am sure of it.

Did you mean this? Similar protagonist i guess:

48f09069048953e79c6847d9d17733d5.jpg

Sega released Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on PSN so maybe there is hope then. I don't know if it would be popular enough for them to bother. Start a petition anyone? I'm probably very much in the minority on this game lol.

I love this game, but the Activision release ruins the atmosphere and direction of the game. They pretty much stomped on what made it unique and cool. Have you played the original Japanese release?

Nocturnx

I never even heard of IllBleed until this thread. Wonder if it's worth tracking down or not. Is it really similar to Blue Stinger?

Edit: I have not played the Japanese release of Blue Stinger. Heard it had a worse camera system though?

Footos22

Never got a chance to try this.

Played the shit out of extermination though. Loved that game. awful dialogue and all lol

Last boss was awesome, was like a c tier Resident evil.

Noks415

I loved Blue Stinger, unfortunately I got stuck in what I believe what was called Rat's Bar. I had no idea how to advance from that point so I stopped playing and never beat it. Years later I found out that I had to push the pool table in order to reveal a secret passage. Fuck you pool table.

EDarkness

I loved this game. i even wrote the FAQ all those years ago. It's probably still out there somewhere. Perhaps it wasn't the best put together game out there, but I had a lot of fun with it.

ArchAngel

One of the best DC Games I played. Bought the jap. version on the launch in Japan and later in Europe.

I was so happy when they announced a Xbox Port, but .... :(

Nocturnx

I loved this game. i even wrote the FAQ all those years ago. It's probably still out there somewhere. Perhaps it wasn't the best put together game out there, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I have to admit when I first played this game I didn't finish it, I borrowed it from a friend and had to give it back in a weekend. I went on a nostalgia fueled Dreamcast binge about 8 years ago and this was one I had fond memories of and felt the need to avenge. I explored every nook and cranny in the game and probably used your FAQ to make sure I didn't miss anything lol. I thought it held up well all those years later, I mean campiness never really gets worse with age because it is already "bad", like Evil Dead movies... It was never a great game from a mechanical or technical standpoint but it was just very enjoyable anyway.

I never even heard of IllBleed until this thread. Wonder if it's worth tracking down or not. Is it really similar to Blue Stinger?

Edit: I have not played the Japanese release of Blue Stinger. Heard it had a worse camera system though?

The camera direction was one of the selling points of the game. There are all kinds of cool camera moves that show the environments off. Removing that neutered the game.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This was my second Dreamcast game, and when I first saw I was "wow, this is amazing", and with 10 minutes playing I was "yeah, I should go back to Sonic Adventure"

kunonabi

actually in the middle playing this for the first time. Having fun with it so I'll probably track down the Japanese version for a replay.

EDarkness

I have to admit when I first played this game I didn't finish it, I borrowed it from a friend and had to give it back in a weekend. I went on a nostalgia fueled Dreamcast binge about 8 years ago and this was one I had fond memories of and felt the need to avenge. I explored every nook and cranny in the game and probably used your FAQ to make sure I didn't miss anything lol. I thought it held up well all those years later, I mean campiness never really gets worse with age because it is already "bad", like Evil Dead movies... It was never a great game from a mechanical or technical standpoint but it was just very enjoyable anyway.

There was something about it that I enjoyed a lot. I remember people were having a lot of trouble with it back in the day, so I wrote a FAQ to help everyone out. I'm glad that folks were able to get something useful out of it. Still, that Blue Stinger FAQ was the only FAQ I've ever written. Heh, I should go back and revisit that game at some point.

Gandara

I remember playing the japanese dreamcast version. Loved the smoke effects at the time. I remember translating all the credit card puzzles.

I remember looking for an RE clone for the Dreamcast years ago. It came down to a choice between Carrier and Blue Stinger.

Carrier is by far the superior title. But I should go back and give BS (haha) another chance, given how many people love its jankiness.

I picked this game up on the art style alone, but I don't think it held my interest for more than a few hours.

I have yet to finish E.G.G., but I really love it. It's a b-tier Zelda ripoff with a bad translation, sure. But it's good in most of the right ways.

Speaking of Dreamcast games... when is someone going to finally translate El Dorado Gate? I wanna play that so bad...

Watch the super replay from gameinformer. Its a game worth watching.

I'd say that Blue Stinger is worth watching, and Illbleed is worth playing for yourself first. Then you should watch other people react to it, like with the Super Replay. It's like The Room: you have to show all of your friends, like "you gotta see this shit." And it goes without saying, the less you know about Illbleed going into it, the better.

Top Bottom