• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dead Space 3 (2013) via PS3 Ultra Slim

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
dead-space-3-banner.jpg

I found dead space 3 for the most part to be a well polished action game, around this time people were gravitating towards the chemical release of action games like uncharted 2, resident evil 5 and gears of war 3. I was surprised at how this is so far from dead space 1 and the usg Ishimura but it had its moments and we’ll discuss below as usual but first the metacritic score:

IMG-5413.jpg

It’s really a high 80 it’s such a good game.

You can look at IGN’s review.

The main character Clarke is essentially an engineer who is now on a hero assignment against these necromorphs, cult followers and the alien markers.

ds3_1.png

You’re opening air lock doors, upgrading weapons, solving puzzles, monitoring your oxygen and health supply it’s all there.

Dead Space Winter GIF by izzyjames

The main character, this mother fucker.

The story is helped here with new worlds like the haunted Tau Volantis, an icy world with rich marine history that has ambiance of a horror game, and overall it still plays like an Elon musk space game gone wrong.

What did GAF think of the hidden gem known as Dead Space 3?

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Man, I just love those blast from the past thread of yours. I actually played DA3 and DS2 when you were making those threads. Really good stuff , now I'm even more of a nostalgic guy ....

EverydayBeast

Man, I just love those blast from the past thread of yours. I actually played DA3 and DS2 when you were making those threads. Really good stuff , now I'm even more of a nostalgic guy ....
Thank you and you’re right the nostalgia certainly now a lot of people can call ps3 nostalgic.

It’s crazy ds3 had dlc

ssringo

I actually enjoyed Dead Space 3. Best part to me was playing in co-op and at times each player would see shit the other couldn't. So you would be shooting at stuff on your screen while your buddy wouldn't be helping but from your buddy's pov you were just wildy shooting the walls.

Really helped with the hallucination and mind games angle.

It's not a bad game by any means. The micro transactions were completely optional, I never found that to be an issue. The main issue is that the game is DUMB in a RE6 kind of way. The story is laughably bad, the space marine is a giant douche, the lame romance plot, etc. Gameplay is solid but everything else drags it down. Completely hamstrung by EA execs.

SkylineRKR

The game overstayed its welcome but other than that it was a fun romp I thought. I actually liked the weapon creator. And it wasn't true that you needed MTX. I never paid a dime and made a plethora of OP weapons such as a rocket launcher that couldn't hurt the character, or a electro sniper with acid shotgun etc. Just send the bot into a proper direction. You could go ham with combining stuff.

The co-op missions were sort of fun as well.

EverydayBeast

It's not a bad game by any means. The micro transactions were completely optional, I never found that to be an issue. The main issue is that the game is DUMB in a RE6 kind of way. The story is laughably bad, the space marine is a giant douche, the lame romance plot, etc. Gameplay is solid but everything else drags it down. Completely hamstrung by EA execs.

That romance plot lol, clarkes’ mental decline is randomly gone, Ellie is a boring character from dead space 2, Norton can fuck off.

o0o9rpeoercb1.png

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Forgot to add I replayed this back in Feb or March which is why stuff is still sorta fresh in muh brainpiece

Once you're able to build a decent shotgun, that's all you need for the entire game. Maybe an assault rifle with a nade launcher to change things up, but a proper shotty completely breaks that game imo

EverydayBeast

Forgot to add I replayed this back in Feb or March which is why stuff is still sorta fresh in muh brainpiece

Once you're able to build a decent shotgun, that's all you need for the entire game. Maybe an assault rifle with a nade launcher to change things up, but a proper shotty completely breaks that game imo
I imagine for short range I definitely upgraded my default plasma gun

maxresdefault.jpg

Muffdraul

As a huge Dead Space fan since the first game, my take was that DS3 was easily and obviously the worst in the trilogy, but nowhere near as bad as its reputation. The thing that bothered me most was the sudden drop in design. General visual design, graphic design, and environmental design. I mean look at those screen shots of the bench/kiosk interface, they're so incredibly tasteless and hideous compared to the previous two games. And some numbnuts on the design staff apparently needed a memo telling him, when you get on an elevator and hit the button, that holographic spinning triangle in front of the panel isn't just some generic symbol that means "elevator moving now." It's an ARROW that points up or down depending on which way the elevator is going. In DS3, it always points up, even if you're going down. They clearly lost some of their good designers and replaced them by promoting janitors or something. I had other issues with gameplay changes and shit, but those never really bothered me that much. Yeah, fighting space marines and taking cover and crouching was a weird tonal shift, but those occasions in the game were so few and far between, they were easy to ignore. Anyway, I would never rate DS3 in the "high 80s." Frankly I think 76 is probably too high.

WoJ

To me, DS3 is easily the worst of the trilogy. That's not to say it's bad. I did feel like the game outstanding it's welcome a bit. It also suffered by trying to force a co-op experience into it. I still enjoyed my time with it though. It's a shame Dead Space as a franchise is likely dead.

Top Bottom