• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Def Jam: Fight For NY

I played through it several times on gamecube and it was definitely one my favourite games. The blazing moves were so over the top but just amazing at same time. I also enjoyed the soundtrack as well. I became a of Joe Budden because his song that plays during the credits.

If EA ever decided to give the series another chance I'd definitely play the game as long as the same over the top style.

mujun

I don't understand why the urban setting was something the game had to overcome for you

but yes, it was a great game

I think he is saying that the game would have had a more broad appeal if it had been say, a martial arts tournament setting (like Enter the Dragon) rather than a hip-hop themed game.

I loved the game. It was the last game where I sat down and wrote out a move list as I played and explored the game. I remember making every combination of styles and then listing out every move that each style had.

Must have completed it 30+ times.

SaviorX

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Def Jam: Fight For NY, and WWE Day of Reckoning 2 - the trifecta of GameCube brawling for a household full of young men running in and out.

That entire feeling is nonexistent at this point in time....oh 2005....

ELectronic Arts doesn't like black people lol

This game looks rad as fuck, but I don't have a PS2, and I'm looking for a new game to play with friends... Def Jam: Icon any good?

is the praise in the first page , not enough ?

The game is good regardless the console it is played on . youhave 3 choices PS2, GC , XBOX

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Def Jam: Fight For NY, and WWE Day of Reckoning 2 - the trifecta of GameCube brawling for a household full of young men running in and out.
You just made me want to hook up the GameCube, grab a case of beer and invite a few of the guys over.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
This game looks rad as fuck, but I don't have a PS2, and I'm looking for a new game to play with friends... Def Jam: Icon any good?

Not no, but FUCK no. Stay away from that game with the lovechild of Dhalsim, Stretch Armstrong and Mr. Fantastic.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I think he is saying that the game would have had a more broad appeal if it had been say, a martial arts tournament setting (like Enter the Dragon) rather than a hip-hop themed game.

I loved the game. It was the last game where I sat down and wrote out a move list as I played and explored the game. I remember making every combination of styles and then listing out every move that each style had.

Must have completed it 30+ times.

Pretty much.

I think it's REALLY underestimated exactly how many people played the game. It did appear on the top 100 series in terms of sales for its gen on gamasutra.

Anyone got footage of the Japanese rappers from Def Jam Japan they added to the Japanese version? I read that Dabo is basically a reskinned DMX.

"D"

I think it's REALLY underestimated exactly how many people played the game. It did appear on the top 100 series in terms of sales for its gen on gamasutra.

Anyone got footage of the Japanese rappers from Def Jam Japan they added to the Japanese version? I read that Dabo is basically a reskinned DMX.

I just didn't understand what made EA go the route they did with ICON. I mean the reviews and sales were there....people LOVED Fight For NY. For fuck sake man, if it ain't BROKE don't FIX it.

[QUOTE="D";93949726]I just didn't understand what made EA go the route they did with ICON. I mean the reviews and sales were there....people LOVED Fight For NY. For fuck sake man, if it ain't BROKE don't FIX it.[/QUOTE]
I don't understand why two different publishers dropped AKI from top selling games. They must want to be paid in diamond covered dinosaur eggs or something.

"D"

Just wanna point out fan favourite Kudo Tsunoda was responsible for Def Jam Icon.

Just saying

He must have be abducted then cloned during the development of ICON then cause that shit was beyond horrible. I felt like I was disrespected on a personal level...THAT bad.

Camp Lo

Banned
[QUOTE="D";93949726]I just didn't understand what made EA go the route they did with ICON. I mean the reviews and sales were there....people LOVED Fight For NY. For fuck sake man, if it ain't BROKE don't FIX it.[/QUOTE]

Pft, it's EA dude. They've broke every fucking game iteration that has ever successful. They HAVE to change something in the core mechanics, which usually ruins the series.

Street Vol. 2 > Vol. 3, FFNY > ICON, Fight Night 2/3 > 4, NBA Live, SSX, NFL Street, etc.

I hope whoever was responsible for ICON, Vol. 3, FN4, and NBA Live 14 has been terminated.

This game was legendary. I remember spending hours playing it at a time during the summer. I think I beat it with every single character. I used Capone a lot.

I will never forget the infinite sadness that coursed through my veins the first time I played Def Jam ICON.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know they put Henry Rollins in for his Spoken Word stuff, but I couldn't help but think as a kid that they were experimenting with other genres.

I want to play Jello Biafra.

"D"

Pft, it's EA dude. They've broke every fucking game iteration that has ever successful. They HAVE to change something in the core mechanics, which usually ruins the series.

Street Vol. 2 > Vol. 3, FFNY > ICON, Fight Night 2/3 > 4, NBA Live, SSX, NFL Street, etc.

I hope whoever was responsible for ICON, Vol. 3, FN4, and NBA Live 14 has been terminated.

So much feels. Especially for the Fight Night series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf-ANnjvrlA
My reaction to most of what EA had destroyed that I once enjoyed

O.DOGG

Oh I loved this game. Used to play it all the time. I really liked the atmosphere and the character models and animations. Such a fun game too.

Camp Lo

Banned
They have to give us a FFNY sequel this generation. The fact that they give Mirror's Edge attention gives me faith. EA have to know thousands, if not millions of people want it.

This is my The Last Guardian
besides the inevitable Bully 2

I don't understand why two different publishers dropped AKI from top selling games. They must want to be paid in diamond covered dinosaur eggs or something.

Probably trying to pull it inhouse to lower costs. The ONLY + I think Icon had was how grittier the story became, but it was really unplayable. I think FFNY was the perfect NA/JP collaboration. Let EA handle all the story and aesthetics while Aki handles the gameplay.

Only fault I noticed the game had was that once the story was beaten there was nothing else to do aside from play it again. This was just about the only game that could have just added more content for the sequel and everyone would have been happy.

Blue Calx

I loved FFNY and Vendetta. Played them both for countless hours. 2 of my all time favorite games.

Unfortunately, I still remember playing ICON for the first time over at one of my friends house. Biggest disappointment ever.

Day of Reckoning 1 & 2 are two of my favorite GCN games. I'd put both DOR games in my top 10 wrestling games.

I remember being pissed when Yukes announced the Smackdown series was coming to the Wii instead of DOR 3.

FFNY is one of my favorite games ever. There will probably be nothing like it again. I have eternal beef with Kudo Tsunoda for fucking up Icon.

"D"

FFNY is one of my favorite games ever. There will probably be nothing like it again. I have eternal beef with Kudo Tsunoda for fucking up Icon.

Did he work on Vendetta too?

KennyKen

Def Jam FFNY was the best. I still bring it up when there is a convo about classic fighting games.

I always felt like Icon was just made to kill the brand. It was a conspiracy. Now the only Def Jam game we got is a rap karaoke one.
BiggiePauseSmiley.png

[QUOTE="D";93960136]Did he work on Vendetta too?[/QUOTE]

AKI made Vendetta and FFNY. AKI were legends in the wrestling game genre.

Kudo Tsunoda and EA Chicago destroyed the Def Jam fighting series with ICON. Don't ever get it twisted.

Nyx

One of my alltime fav games, so much fun!

Even casual or non-gaming friends loved to play it cause it wasn't hard to learn.

This game and NBA Street were the SHIT back in the day. Two "urban demographic" franchises that got unceremoniously ruined last gen. WHY? I would pay 60 dollars yesterday for an HD remake.

Hardcore Gaming has a bit of backstory on it

Once No Mercy was out on the market, AKI would actually be quick to announce the next game in the series to be titled WWF Backlash. It was rumored to have gone into production in late 2000 and scheduled for release on the N64, but by the time the game was around 20% done the console was at the end of its lifecycle. It was quietly scrapped and THQ made the decision to make their sister series, WWF Smackdown on the PSX, their flagship WWF product. AKI was free to make games for other promotions now and EA actually contracted them right away to develop WCW Mayhem 2, a sequel scheduled to be released on PS2. These plans were also scrapped when WWF bought out WCW to end the decade long war between them. There exist a few screenshots from WCW Mayhem 2 but not much if anything is known about WWF Backlash. AKI would never return to make another game for any major wrestling promotion.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/akiwrestling/akiwrestlinggames5.htm

Some fans in recent years have emailed them (they're Syn Sophia now) and they've said that they want to make another wrestling game, but no company is contacting them.

Just wanna point out fan favourite Kudo Tsunoda was responsible for Def Jam Icon.

Just saying

Fan favorite to whom? Kudo "Kinect" Tsunoda? The guy behind Kinect? The guy that ruined Def Jam with Icon? The guy who damn near made a shitty Marvel fighting game that was, part of EA Chicago (since closed down?) Was this sarcasm? He's like the Jeph Loeb of the gaming industry.

EDIT: I don't normally post bile on message boards, but I'm still pissy about ICON and subsequent interviews where he totally stood behind his decision to change the game despite there being nothing wrong with it. I totally understand that the mature explanation was that the company had no choice and had to switch developers for financial and political reasons. In doing so, the game HAD to go in a different direction by design, and that he made the best of an unenviable situation...

The mature part of me gets that...

But ICON. Ugh.

Sorry, personal attacks against a guy I've never met are unbecoming. he's probably a swell guy.

"D"

Fan favorite to whom? Kudo "Kinect" Tsunoda? The guy behind Kinect? The guy that ruined Def Jam with Icon? The guy who damn near made a shitty Marvel fighting game that was, part of EA Chicago (since closed down?) Was this sarcasm? He's like the Jeph Loeb of the gaming industry.

EDIT: I don't normally post bile on message boards, but I'm still pissy about ICON and subsequent interviews where he totally stood behind his decision to change the game despite there being nothing wrong with it. I totally understand that the mature explanation was that the company had no choice and had to switch developers for financial and political reasons. In doing so, the game HAD to go in a different direction by design, and that he made the best of an unenviable situation...

The mature part of me gets that...

But ICON. Ugh.

Sorry, personal attacks against a guy I've never met are unbecoming. he's probably a swell guy.

I'll admit I didn't know who that guy was but now I know he's the one who authored Kinect then I understand why ICON was made now lol.

Top Bottom