• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: NES Classic (playing Nintendo's games in release order)

Syril

So I've finally managed to get an NES Classic after trying intermittently since it's release. One of the main reasons I had been wanting one was that while I had played bits and pieces of most of the games included in it in various forms, I had never actually finished any of them except Kirby's Adventure. I never owned an NES myself; the first Nintendo system I ever had was the Game Boy. The most no-brainer game to start with would probably be Super Mario Bros., but seeing as this is an opportunity for something of a fresh start, I'm going to start by playing each of Nintendo's games in release order. I've been really into shows like Retronauts, Norman Caruso's Gaming Historian, and Jeremy Parish's Game Boy World/Good Nintentions/Mode Seven for how they focus a lot on the historical context behind the development and design of the games and devices they talk about, and while I can only wish I was as knowledgeable as Norman Caruso and Jeremy Parish, I'm hoping I can get a sense of Nintendo's progression as a developer and what it might have been like at the time to play a new Nintendo game in light of the previous ones that had come out.

I'm going to be playing each of Nintendo's games in the order of the first release of their gameplay, meaning I'm also considering arcade versions where appropriate and using Doki Doki Panic's July 1987 release date for Super Mario Bros. 2. I'll be playing them in the following order:

Donkey Kong (arcade July 9, 1981)
Donkey Kong Jr. (arcade August 1, 1982)
Mario Bros. (arcade July 14, 1983)
Balloon Fight (arcade November 1984)
Excitebike (November 30, 1984)
Ice Climber (January 30, 1985)
Super Mario Bros. (September 13, 1985)
The Legend of Zelda (February 21, 1986)
Metroid (August 6, 1986)
Kid Icarus (December 19, 1986)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (January 14, 1987)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic July 10, 1987)
Punch-Out!! (Japanese gold cartridge version September 18, 1987)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (October 23, 1988)
Dr. Mario (July 27, 1990)
StarTropics (December 1, 1990)
Kirby's Adventure (March 23, 1993)

I intend to play each game to completion before moving onto the next one. For endless arcade-style games, I'm aiming to complete at least one difficulty loop and to play all available modes. I also reserve the right to move onto the next one before completion if I'm getting really, really frustrated and not enjoying myself.

#1: Donkey Kong

DKNES-Title.png

Trivia: Future Nintendo of America CEO Howard Lincoln began his relationship with Nintendo as the lawyer of their North American distributors Ron Judy and Al Stone and helped them trademark the title in America.

Donkey Kong is so well known these days that I'm not entirely sure what to say other than thoughts about various aspects. At a glance, the fall damage seems ridiculously harsh; Mario can barely fall his own height without dying. But with how the levels are actually designed, you're very unlikely to actually die from falling. Everything is pretty straightforwardly laid out to connect platforms with ladders and very small jumps that have room for error. I like how much variety there is between the different levels in terms of hazards and scoring opportunities, with the first level having predictable enemies (the barrels), no gaps, and hammers for scoring, the second level having heavy platforming with less predictable enemies (the fire sprites) and item collection for scoring, and the third level having something of everything with more gaps to mind as you get farther in the level. Various people at Nintendo over the years have talked about how the first thing they do when they're making a game is to perfect the basic controls before moving onto anything else, and you can see that even here with how satisfying the simple act of jumping over barrels is, and with how lenient the barrel jumping is, you can do things like jump over two barrels at once or jump a barrel while moving in the same direction to score repeatedly (possible with very good timing since the barrels move faster than Mario). I was also impressed with how you can play it just trying to progress levels and still have it be a challenge, or you can go after the scoring opportunities and have a different kind of challenge. Funny enough, the save states can be used to fix the issue with the cart version losing high scores when the power is turned off, and if you wanted to, you could use them to save four different high scores from different players.

Syril

#2: Donkey Kong Jr.

fb-preview.jpg

Trivia: Metroid/WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven Producer Yoshio Sakamoto created the graphics for this game alongside Shigeru Miyamoto.

It's kind of a one-note sequel, isn't it? The big thing that distinguishes it is the climbing, but there doesn't seem to be as much going on with the climbing than the original game had with the jumping. The levels feel really uneven in comparison to Donkey Kong. the beginning of the second level is disproportionally harder than any other part, and the third level feels wildly out of place with its electric theme and simple path. I do have to say I really like DK Jr.'s jumping sprite with how it has a similar pose to Mario's but with his hand open to grab a rope. It's interesting how Nintendo was willing to take their new hero and cast him as the villain in his very next game.

bart64

Banned
I'm still impressed with how much gameplay they were able to fit in one screen. Things are so simple but they play out differently each time. Enjoying your impressions, seems you have a good attitiude going in - hope these games don't break you!

It's a ways away, but when you get to the original Zelda DO NOT USE A GUIDE. Instead, look up the original manual on the internet, read that, and read this and this. All of these were included with the original game, so you're not cheating in any way, but they leave enough vague that you can find out plenty for yourself. The puzzles and combat are really simple in this outing, and exploration is about 95% of the game, so don't ruin it for yourself. I'd also recommend making a map of the game as you go (fairly easy due to the grid format, and those inserts I linked to can get you a good way there). You can mark points of interest, etc, for you to return to later. Guaranteed to make your time more enjoyable.

Some people might recommend making a map for Metroid, too. Idk if I'd recommend that as enthusiastically.

Also if you have the time, look up scans for the manuals. Some of that artwork is pretty amusing.

After this run, are you planning on playing the non-Nintendo games on the Classic?

Lothar

Banned
Don't look at the manual for Zelda either. Just come to this thread if you need help. I don't like that it tells you the location for the levels.

Mister X

Neo Member
I actually just picked up a copy of Kirbys Adventure for my NES, it's rep is well deserved.

Incredible game, and it's crazy how late it came out in the NES' lifecycle. 1993 I think.

Currently trying to play through Simon's Quest on the NES Classic. If nothing else, it gave us the Bloody Tears track, one of my favorite game tunes of all time. (And AVGN's first video)

Syril

I've given up on trying to get one of these fucking things so I'm gonna play NES Remix instead.

NES Remix is really fun! It's how I discovered that Balloon Fight is just the best.

It's a ways away, but when you get to the original Zelda DO NOT USE A GUIDE. Instead, look up the original manual on the internet, read that, and read this and this. All of these were included with the original game, so you're not cheating in any way, but they leave enough vague that you can find out plenty for yourself. The puzzles and combat are really simple in this outing, and exploration is about 95% of the game, so don't ruin it for yourself. I'd also recommend making a map of the game as you go (fairly easy due to the grid format, and those inserts I linked to can get you a good way there). You can mark points of interest, etc, for you to return to later. Guaranteed to make your time more enjoyable.

Some people might recommend making a map for Metroid, too. Idk if I'd recommend that as enthusiastically.

Also if you have the time, look up scans for the manuals. Some of that artwork is pretty amusing.

After this run, are you planning on playing the non-Nintendo games on the Classic?
I have no intention of using guides, maybe manuals if I feel like it out of curiosity. Nintendo's games have always been very pick up and play and haven't really need much instruction, especially with so few buttons to try on the NES games.

I'm going to play the third-party ones too of course, just not sure that I'll do them the same way I'm doing these.

Currently I'm on Super Mario Bros. I've been a bit busy recently to do write-ups, but hopefully I'll have the posts for the intervening games up soon.

I have no intention of using guides, maybe manuals if I feel like it out of curiosity. Nintendo's games have always been very pick up and play and haven't really need much instruction, especially with so few buttons to try on the NES games.

I'm going to play the third-party ones too of course, just not sure that I'll do them the same way I'm doing these.

Currently I'm on Super Mario Bros. I've been a bit busy recently to do write-ups, but hopefully I'll have the posts for the intervening games up soon.

Good to hear!

Why not play the third-party games too

Seems insane to go through the trouble of getting one of these things just to ignore over a third of the games included

Edit: Saw that you plan to, so nevermind

Pilgrimzero

Incredible game, and it's crazy how late it came out in the NES' lifecycle. 1993 I think.

Currently trying to play through Simon's Quest on the NES Classic. If nothing else, it gave us the Bloody Tears track, one of my favorite game tunes of all time. (And AVGN's first video)

I DLed a rom patch that clears up a lot of the vagueness in the dialogue etc, don't know if I could ever go back to standard version.

Syril

#3: Mario Bros.

56188-Mario_Bros._(World)-6.jpg

Trivia: Shigeru Miyamoto took inspiration for the pipeworks setting from the common visual in manga of fields filled with giant drain pipe exits.

Now the controls are really starting to open up. In Donkey Kong and DK Jr., you pretty much had a fixed path that both level designs and strictly enforced falling damage didn't really allow you to deviate from, but here you have a lot more freedom of movement, and jumping starts to become prominent as a means for movement and fighting. Here we also see the introduction of momentum and inertia. It's very important to get a proper running start to be able to reach higher platforms, especially since you can't control your jumps in midair.

The priorities in gameplay have also completely shifted from reaching goals to fighting enemies. It's even moved away from complex level designs and settled on a relatively simple playing field that's used for the entire game, possibly to put the focus squarely on mastering the momentum and jumping without having a sequence of different levels to worry about. Everything is based around jumping properly. The act of defeating an enemy requires enough understanding of jumping to hit it precisely from below and then quickly run around to jump up to its platform to finish it off before it gets back up and becomes harder than before. The hazards are mainly based around complicating that sequence, like the crabs that you have to hit twice to knock down, or patches of icy ground, or roaming fireballs that force you to leave your platform and possibly let the enemies advance father. It's a pretty impressive amount of depth, especially when you also add enemies with other enemies or with coins, causing them both to change directions.

mindatlarge

Think we are all pretty much LTTP when it comes to the NES Classic. But not by choice. :( Been looking for this thing at retail for months.

Syril

Think we are all pretty much LTTP when it comes to the NES Classic. But not by choice. :( Been looking for this thing at retail for months.
Yeah no kidding. The only advice I can think of is to just check forum threads and alert websites persistently and you may luck out at some point. I only got lucky because I happened to check the OT here in the 10 minutes between someone posting a link to online stock at Best Buy and said stock selling out.

Top Bottom