• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucha Underground on Netflix |OT| For those late to the party, get ready to believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

maxresdefault.jpg

What is it?

The series features supernatural and science fiction elements built into the telenovela style production. Promotional material for the series notes that Lucha Underground, "introduces U.S. audiences to the high-flying, explosive moves of lucha libre. An ancient combat tradition, watch as good and evil wage war in a gritty battleground called 'The Temple'." It is a very unique product that is built around a well crafted mythology about how lucha libre evolved from Ancient Aztec tribes that provides the series a chance to exist within it's own "universe", so to speak.

Lucha Underground features some of the best talent from America and Mexico.

This is just some of the roster of characters you will meet in Season 1 which debuts alongside season 2 on Netflix tomorrow:

afe289826207c26846302288f6583036.jpg

Season 2 brings new faces, new monsters and promises that the Temple has become a darker place for its competitors.

Lucha Underground : Meet The Warriors

The series' third season is currently airing, although it has taken a hiatus on El Rey Network and is set to resume new episodes this May.

As a note, Lucha Underground typically posts their main event matches on Youtube on the El Rey Network channel, however I recommend watching the entire shows once they are uploaded.

There is no one match I can recommend to whet your appetite for the variety you will see in this series, but if there is any I can recommend that might push you to watch, it's one of the many highlights of season 1.

Fenix vs Mil Muertes - Grave Consequences

What is Grave Consequences? Watch and find out....

Why is this significant?

Lucha Underground has had a rabid fan following however due to it being only on the El Rey Network which has a limited subscriber base and only on iTunes online many people have been unable to view this excellent wrestling / telenovela hybrid until now.

We do not know yet if this series is becoming a Netflix original. There have been rumors but nothing has been confirmed.

----------------------

Personally, I loved this show but the only way I had to watch it prior to now is by paying $20 a month for Sling TV which I can't do at the moment. I joined season 1 late and watched most of 2 but have missed 3 entirely. I can't wait to go back and see some of the old stuff that I missed early on.

If you've never seen this show, it's a wild ride that combines some of the best of TV production and some damn good wrestling.

zethren

Banned
Sweeeeeeet I've been meaning to check this out after everything I've heard about it from the Super Best Friends.

Foggy

While I don't agree the S3 is "so bad", the dip in quality is pretty apparent.

Granted, I enjoy the show but there's rarely ever any followup on saying the 3rd season dipped in quality. I can't help but feel it's just people parrotting Meltzer. I don't sense much of a difference at all.

Oh man. Fucking awesome. I've seen a decent amount of season 1 and have had it on my iTunes wishlist for a while, but haven't been able to drop the $45. Super glad it's on there now.

abundant

Granted, I enjoy the show but there's rarely ever any followup on saying the 3rd season dipped in quality. I can't help but feel it's just people parrotting Meltzer. I don't sense much of a difference at all.

For me it's the fact the some of the best Luchadores like Fenix and Pentagon Dark aren't used as much now. Also everything about Aztec Warfare III and the fallout was bad, IMO.

Kaladin

Needs some Pentagon Dark on this front page.
https://fat.gfycat.com/EnlightenedLightFlickertailsquirrel.webm

Needs some Angelico on this front page.
https://fat.gfycat.com/HelplessAliveBrownbear.webm

Needs some Fenix on this front page.
https://giant.gfycat.com/PiercingAngryBoilweevil.webm

Needs some Deathmatch Vampiro on this front page.
https://fat.gfycat.com/ArcticDisgustingBagworm.webm

Tried to keep the intro post as spoilery free as possible so new viewers can discover these stars themselves.

Foggy

For me it's the fact the some of the best Luchadores like Fenix and Pentagon Dark aren't used as much now.

Yeah I'll never get what their long term goal is with Pentagon but I like how they use Fenix. He's always in a position for big matches but they keep him as the underdog by not keeping any momentum he starts to get. I keep hearing there are big things for Pentagon by the end of S3 so I'm optimistic.

They're certainly not perfect and I really detested how s2's Ultima Lucha left too much unresolved and felt undercooked. And the midseason break for s3 was clumsy at best. But even s1 had wasted space like Blue Demon, Texano, Hernandez, and the Crew was used way too much.

But to me, they're just flaws in an otherwise unique and special wrestling show. It fully embraces B movie tropes and mixes it with excellent wrestling. I'm hoping it catches on now that it's jitting a wider audience, but if it doesn't, I'm just happy to have watched it.

Also everything about Aztec Warfare III and the fallout was bad, IMO.

Match was definitely the weakest of the 3, but the booking was sound and had been built to since s2. I'm not too keen on the winner but things corrected themselves and the current champ is definitely needed. But the more I talk the closer I get to spoilers so I'll stop.

bigkrev

For me it's the fact the some of the best Luchadores like Fenix and Pentagon Dark aren't used as much now. Also everything about Aztec Warfare III and the fallout was bad, IMO.

Watching Aztec Warefare 2 the same week that spoilers for
Sexy Star was going to win the title from Matanza
basically soured me on the show and is what led to me dropping it a few weeks later. I know that the spoiler wasn't 100% accurate
(I thought Sexy Star pinned Matanza, not that he was eliminated early and she kinda won on a fluke
), but after seeing how much of a monster they made Matanza in his build through all of season 1, and how much of a payoff there was in his in-ring debut..... it just sounded like the dumbest booking decision I'd ever heard of.

And yeah, I was getting really sick of Man-on-Woman matches by then.

shaowebb

Brandwin

I like the show a lot, but I didn't start watching until S2, and I haven't watched week to week. Mainly because I cut cable. So I am curious to go back and watch.

ezekial45

Banned
This series is really cool. It's a nice alternative to WWE that's not TNA.

Also, my cousin wrestles on the show occasionally, and it's kind of a trip seeing him doing some promos.

I still think it's the most consistently good wrestling show on TV, even if season 3 took a big dip in quality. Prince Puma and Fenix are my favorites.

Billfisto

Lucha Underground is one of those shows where you think to yourself "You know, it would be awesome/ridiculous if they do X", and then they go and do X, but with twice as much conviction as a sane person would start off with.

Pentagon is just the best, too. Pentagon Eventually Succumbs to a Bunch of Women was my match of the year.

Kaladin

Lucha Underground is one of those shows where you think to yourself "You know, it would be awesome/ridiculous if they do X", and then they go and do X, but with twice as much conviction as a sane person would start off with.

Pentagon is just the best, too. Pentagon Eventually Succumbs to a Bunch of Women was my match of the year.

Like that time they did the
one vs all gimmick in Aztec Warfare better than WWE did it in the Royal Rumble at around the same time.

Billfisto

Can't wait to finally give this a whirl, its whole storytelling style is everything I've always wanted from wrestling.

It really is. Dario is the best heel promoter in wrestling, period. He keeps creating situations that go badly for himself and he just can't seem to stop doing it.

Half of my favorite scenes start with Dario in his office, trying to figure out the numbers for his small business.

pHand

While I don't agree the S3 is "so bad", the dip in quality is pretty apparent.

I will say that S3 brought us quite possibly the best episode of LU with the Black Lotus Triad vs Pentagon. It introduced me to World Wonder Ring Stardom and now I'm hooked. Those women put WWE women (and most of their men) to shame.

Also, I went to a local indy and met Prince Puma and Matanza. They were super nice, not to mention super cute. Seeing Wrath of the Gods in person was amazing, and Prince Puma just oozes charisma in and out of the ring. On the other hand, Brian Cage was a bit disappointing, but I only say that because he'll only take pics with you if you buy something. It was also rather surreal seeing him being lovey-dovey with Melissa Santos. My boyfriend was like, "No wonder she's so enthusiastic about saying he's from the FIVE FIVE NINE."

Half of my favorite scenes start with Dario in his office, trying to figure out the numbers for his small business.

One of my favorite scenes was him in his office randomly
doing a line of coke

It's a shame it doesn't appear to be up on Netflix in Australia.

We even had a local news show feature Lucha Underground a couple of years ago, which was crazy.

fauxtrot

Banned
Time to relive the glory of session 1 and finally finish season 2 now that I don't have access to El Rey. Thank you Netflix.

Everyone should give this show a shot, even if they've never had any interest in wrestling. From Aztec Warfare onward, the show goes full steam ahead with fuckery, campiness, and the best wrestling you'll likely ever see on a weekly wrestling program. Do yourself a favor, it's a hell of a ride.

DKehoe

I recently heard it's storylines described by Jim Cornette.

Think I'll take a hard pass.

I'd say that if you are at all interested in wrestling it's worth trying out. It's definitely not for everyone but it's trying something new rather than just the typical Wrestling format that has been used for years.

I'd also suggest maybe not relying so much on the opinions and perspective of Jim Cornette.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not available where I live. Fuck everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom