• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucha Underground on Netflix |OT| For those late to the party, get ready to believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

17155794_1588867451138440_8064819871538242198_n.jpg

It sadly seems to not be a Netflix Original as of now.

Foggy

For people wondering, it appears to be up in North and South America only.

I doubt this moves the needle much for El Rey, but it's great exposure for the wrestlers and hopefully gains enough traction for Netflix to try and purchase it or get in the wrasslin business. One can dream.

Kaladin

For people wondering, it appears to be up in North and South America only.

I doubt this moves the needle much for El Rey, but it's great exposure for the wrestlers and hopefully gains enough traction for Netflix to try and purchase it or get in the wrasslin business. One can dream.

Yeah, this will do a lot more for Lucha Underground than it does for El Rey.

The first season of Lucha Underground was an amazing tv show, period. Not just a great wrestling show, but just great tv in general.

The second season doesn't hit the mark of the first season, and is a lot more inconsistent due to budget issues and stuff, but still has it's great moments.

Folks should really check this out.

Kaladin

The first season of Lucha Underground was an amazing tv show, period. Not just a great wrestling show, but just great tv in general.

The second season doesn't hit the mark of the first season, and is a lot more inconsistent due to budget issues and stuff, but still has it's great moments.

Folks should really check this out.

Jeff Cobb saved season 2.

Buckle

Been waiting for this forever.

Time to load it up and..

*notices 39 episodes in season one alone*

Holy shit. Gonna be here for awhile.

Billfisto

I love this show.

Pentagon and his sassy posture and butt-kicks.

Muertes and his Shao Khan throne.

Castro turning out to be AN UNDERCOVER COP. BECAUSE THE POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING A WRESTLING BUSINESS.

Matanza being driven around in a horse trailer.

Bathroom Numchuck fights.

CAGE'S GAUNTLET.

Kaladin

I love this show.

Pentagon and his sassy posture and butt-kicks.

Muertes and his Shao Khan throne.

Castro turning out to be AN UNDERCOVER COP. BECAUSE THE POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING A WRESTLING BUSINESS.

Matanza being driven around in a horse trailer.

Bathroom Numchuck fights.

CAGE'S GAUNTLET.

It's not a wrestling business in that world, it's an underground fighting ring.

Billfisto

It's not a wrestling business in that world, it's an underground fighting ring.

Is it? I never really got that impression. I mean, I know
Dario set up an underground fighting ring to feed guys to Matanza when Muertes booted him, but LU itself being an underground fighting ring more than just a really sketchy wrestling fed sort of doesn't come across. They sell shirts and have announcers and there are guys breathing fire and flying away out the back all the time. Also, refs and a billboard.

I always thought they were
investigating more for Dario's drug habits and drawers full of money and all the murders. (and the Supernatural stuff, at the chief's requesT).

Also, the
cops arrested Dario at one point and they only charged him with murder, not running an underground fighting league.

Kaladin

Is it? I never really got that impression. I mean, I know
Dario set up an underground fighting ring to feed guys to Matanza when Muertes booted him, but LU itself being an underground fighting ring more than just a really sketchy wrestling fed sort of doesn't come across. They sell shirts and have announcers and there are guys breathing fire and flying away out the back all the time. Also, refs and a billboard.

I always thought they were
investigating more for Dario's drug habits and drawers full of money and all the murders. (and the Supernatural stuff, at the chief's requesT).

Also, the
cops arrested Dario at one point and they only charged him with murder, not running an underground fighting league.

I always got more of a
Mortal Kombat meets wrestling kind of vibe, especially with how they put out an invitation to fighters to come to the temple. Sure, the fighting style is wrestling with all the tropes that come along with it like announcers, a crowd and merch and shit, but the way Dario runs it is more of a underground fighting ring. What wrestling promotion you know of actually kills people and has actual supernatural shit going on?

Billfisto

I always got more of a
Mortal Kombat meets wrestling kind of vibe, especially with how they put out an invitation to fighters to come to the temple. Sure, the fighting style is wrestling with all the tropes that come along with it like announcers, a crowd and merch and shit, but the way Dario runs it is more of a underground fighting ring. What wrestling promotion you know of actually kills people and has actual supernatural shit going on?

Lucha Underground
, obviously! :p

Also, WWE (Undertaker, Kane, Boogeyman, The Brood, Phantasio), WCW (Dungeon of Doom, Vampiro, Kiss Demon). LU just goes full HAM on it.

I really wish they'd do some crossover with Netherrealms. I'd pay good money for Pentagon guest character DLC.

LU really reminds me of the good days when Wrestling was all about over the top characters and crazy violence. I really hope this deal makes them some money to keep going for more seasons.

Brandwin

Also, I went to a local indy and met Prince Puma and Matanza. They were super nice, not to mention super cute. Seeing Gift of the Gods in person was amazing, and Prince Puma just oozes charisma in and out of the ring. On the other hand, Brian Cage was a bit disappointing, but I only say that because he'll only take pics with you if you buy something. It was also rather surreal seeing him being lovey-dovey with Melissa Santos. My boyfriend was like, "No wonder she's so enthusiastic about saying he's from the FIVE FIVE NINE."

I have seen quite a few in person from the show (Wrestle Circus shows in Austin, TX) and all have been very nice to my 5 year old son (Didn’t get to meet with Ricochet, his line was crazy packed after show). Jeff Cobb is extremely nice. Second show we went to I actually purchased some items and he was shocked my son wanted an autograph pic of Mantanza he said “Maybe I am not doing a good enough job” meaning that is supposed to be a scary character, not someone my son wouldn’t be afraid of and would want to hang on his wall, haha.

Cage gave me the same line as well first time. He said, usually you got to buy something, but went ahead and took a pic. None of the other guys requested something be bought, but I get it, that is part of how they make a living. Second show I went ahead and bought something so my son could take another pic. To be fair, he was still really nice both times.

The last episode of season 1 is the most magical shit ever.

The best ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot how many times in the first episode they have to be like THIS AINT YOUR DADDYS WRESTLING with the "this isn't an arena where you cheer for your heroes" and "kids aren't here jumping up in down in brightly colored shirts"

I forgot how many times in the first episode they have to be like THIS AINT YOUR DADDYS WRESTLING with the "this isn't an arena where you cheer for your heroes" and "kids aren't here jumping up in down in brightly colored shirts"

It's pretty much a prerequisite for any non-WWE promotion to take shots at them, especially when they're just starting up like this.

pHand

I have seen quite a few in person from the show (Wrestle Circus shows in Austin, TX) and all have been very nice to my 5 year old son (Didn’t get to meet with Ricochet, his line was crazy packed after show). Jeff Cobb is extremely nice. Second show we went to I actually purchased some items and he was shocked my son wanted an autograph pic of Mantanza he said “Maybe I am not doing a good enough job” meaning that is supposed to be a scary character, not someone my son wouldn’t be afraid of and would want to hang on his wall, haha.

Cage gave me the same line as well first time. He said, usually you got to buy something, but went ahead and took a pic. None of the other guys requested something be bought, but I get it, that is part of how they make a living. Second show I went ahead and bought something so my son could take another pic. To be fair, he was still really nice both times.

That Cobb story is adorable. It's funny that his real-life persona is the total opposite of the character he portrays. Cobb is like a giant teddy bear that you want to hug.

And it's good to hear Cage is at least willing to waive the fee for kids. In hindsight I should've just asked Melissa for a picture, but maybe she would've made me buy something from Cage anyway.

They really should start touring more often as LU, though. It's a huge wasted opportunity and at the very least would've helped fill in the gap in between the S3 episodes.

Is the drop off in quality in season two and three really that bad?

Having a blast with this so far.

Its a gradual decline. It takes time to really get bad. Season 2 had awesome great redeeming qualities. Season 3 I haven't watched in full, they kind of lost me.

xezuru

That Cobb story is adorable. It's funny that his real-life persona is the total opposite of the character he portrays. Cobb is like a giant teddy bear that you want to hug.

And it's good to hear Cage is at least willing to waive the fee for kids. In hindsight I should've just asked Melissa for a picture, but maybe she would've made me buy something from Cage anyway.

They really should start touring more often as LU, though. It's a huge wasted opportunity and at the very least would've helped fill in the gap in between the S3 episodes.

Mil Muertes and Matanza seem fuckin awesome in real life, he did this interview with at least season1-2 spoilers I think, but after hearing my wrestling friend talk about their backgrounds and seeing this interview made my day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqZlkc0wc9g

Foggy

Is the drop off in quality in season two and three really that bad?

Having a blast with this so far.

Depends on how you feel about intergender matches and some of the more fantastical elements. Personally I've loved it since the beginning but the storytelling in the finale of season 2 was disappointing and the midseason finale of season 3 was underwhelming. All in all though, stick with it see where you land.

Buckle

Depends on how you feel about intergender matches and some of the more fantastical elements. Personally I've loved it since the beginning but the storytelling in the finale of season 2 was disappointing and the midseason finale of season 3 was underwhelming. All in all though, stick with it see where you land.
The crazier the better.

abundant

Not really a spoiler, but to be a little bit more specific, if you are not a fan of
Sexy Star
, then you may not like S3 as much as past seasons.

Not really a spoiler, but to be a little bit more specific, if you are not a fan of
Sexy Star
, then you may not like S3 as much as past seasons.

That was the case for me. Not that I don't appreciate
SexyStar
for what
she's
accomplished, but none of
her matches against Mundo
really impressed me. I felt more like
Evelise
deserved that spot if not for suffering a major injury.

Buckle

In the middle of Episode 12 now.

Pretty satisfied with Puma becoming champion (better choice than Johnny who seems like he would be a much better fit as a heel than a face) but feels like they really should have handed the belt to Mil Muertes who seemed like they were building up as their biggest certified monster/badass.

And then to make him lose again in his next match, eh, feels like some of the steam and momentum has been knocked out of him.

Hopefully he gets it back. Probably my favorite member of the roster so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom