• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines for PSP (aka REZ producer's new project)

BuG

Society said:
Then why did you quote a statement about ps2.
I just figured that since, in his latest interview, when he said he wanted to make a game which makes use of a platform's abilities (that's just my interpretation of what he was saying, I may be wrong, but download the video and see for yourself if you like), that he and his team might have something more up their sleeves which might hinder a home console version.

Interviewer: *some question about what he thinks of DS and PSP capabilities*

Mizuguchi: ...I'm watching them both. But I don't want to make a game... one game and two platforms, you know. This game is for Nintendo DS, this game is for PSP. This is the best. This is the best.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I think I know what this could be...

If you look closely, there is a graphic equalizer graphic 'hued' onto the front end.

The dropped tiles match the height of the equalizer. My guess is, if you get a 'tetris' of blocks of the same colour in a certain space, the amount of height you have on your 'tetris' will be matched by the equalizer and that part of the soundtrack will play at that level - bass, singing, whatever.

If it's not that, then I'll suck my own schlong.

aku:jiki

Oh, man. I had forgotten about Technic Cute.

I am so owned by the PSP too then. And I really didn't want to have to buy one right when it comes out... :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What's 'Technic Cute'?

boutrosinit, that's what I'm thinking too. The puzzle segment matching part is probably a bit more complex than what you described, but that's my general idea of the gameplay.

Can't say a word about the game.
You can at least say if you think if the Rez fans would like it?

Astro Boy? Or is Naka's touch just stronger? :p
Yeah, Astro Boy is a stinker, but how much of the original UGA team worked on it? Was Mizuguchi even involved with that game, or did he move from Sega before the development even started?

Marconelly said:
What's 'Technic Cute'?

It's a sequel to this game:

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/686/686485.html

technic-beat-20040902021400453.jpg

technic-beat-hands-on-20040526054534239.jpg

technic-beat-hands-on-20040526054540208.jpg

FortNinety said:
I know I asked this in another thread, but what the hell happened to the PS2 version? Weren't we suppose to get it already?

On Mastiff's site they have it listed as a late summer release. I haven't heard anything else on it though. Neither GameStop or EB have it listed on their sites.

Technicbeat.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, Astro Boy is a stinker, but how much of the original UGA team worked on it? Was Mizuguchi even involved with that game, or did he move from Sega before the development even started?
Considering the release date, Mizuguchi most likely worked on Astro at least halfway through development, before UGA was absorbed into Sonic Team. Even after the merger though, the left over UGA staff finished out the game... with Naka himself coming on board to oversee things himself. The magic touch I guess, everything Naka does turns to shot these days....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Considering the release date, Mizuguchi most likely worked on Astro at least halfway through development,
Hmmm, but was he even in the UGA team by then? I remember he left Sega, but I don't remember when he did that.

Koshiro

Marconelly said:
Hmmm, but was he even in the UGA team by then? I remember he left Sega, but I don't remember when he did that.
He left when they set about closing UGA, so yeah, he'll have spent a considerable time on Astro Boy (before Naka forked it).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
we don't know that miziguchi was personally involved with everything that happened at uga. certainly nothing in astro boy seems to bear his imprimatur.

and while naka bashing is all the rage lately, particularly among hysterical nintendo fanboys, it isn't really fair to blame him for astro boy either -- from what i've played it's a game with fundamental design problems and few merits. its failings clearly run deeper than whatever naka did or didn't do in its last months. he didn't salvage the game, but he didn't sabotage it either.

Top Bottom