• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

zbeeb

Hi guys!

So I just bought my first mac, a top of the line rMBP 15".

I actually bought the new Dell XPS 15 last year (December) as I've always had windows laptops and was pretty happy with it. What followed was a year of struggles with things constantly breaking. Touch screen (not that I used it), WiFi, keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth issues were frequent, as were problems waking from sleep. I tried everything possible, driver updates and rollbacks, formats, system refreshes etc, nothing worked.

Dell finally agreed to refund me and I went out and bought the MBP. So far I've got the following thoughts:

- Touchpad is effortless to use and once I discovered betterTouchTool it got even better.
- It didn't take as long as I thought it would to get used to the location of things compared to windows
- The way OSX keeps applications running, but with no visible window, takes some getting used it. Especially when using cmd+tab to switch programs and it switches to a program that has no window open. Not sure if there's a way to set this to only switch to active windows?
- I never understood why mac users primarily have applications windowed, while windows users prefer maximised... and I still don't. But I do know that using OSX I don't feel the necessity to maximise apps like I did during windows. Weird right?
- I'm using the laptop with an external monitor (Dell U2414h) and to be honest... the text is really poor? I never had this issue with windows and a quick google search pulls up some results, but no clear solution. I've tried different settings and cables to no benefit. Any ideas?

Pretty happy overall with the new laptop though! I definitely thought it'd take longer than it has to become accustomed to the differences between OSX and Windows.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Pick up BetterSnapTool. Same company as BetterTouchTool. It allows you to use Windows style snapping with your programs.
edit: After looking through BetterTouchTool, it looks like it may have the same snapping functionality build in.

I'm using an external monitor as well, Dell P2314T, and the text is crisp. Make sure your display settings are set up to use "Best for Display".

GWX

Hi guys!

I actually bought the new Dell XPS 15 last year (December) as I've always had windows laptops and was pretty happy with it. What followed was a year of struggles with things constantly breaking. Touch screen (not that I used it), WiFi, keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth issues were frequent, as were problems waking from sleep. I tried everything possible, driver updates and rollbacks, formats, system refreshes etc, nothing worked.

Dell finally agreed to refund me and I went out and bought the MBP. So far I've got the following thoughts:

- Touchpad is effortless to use and once I discovered betterTouchTool it got even better.
- It didn't take as long as I thought it would to get used to the location of things compared to windows
- The way OSX keeps applications running, but with no visible window, takes some getting used it. Especially when using cmd+tab to switch programs and it switches to a program that has no window open. Not sure if there's a way to set this to only switch to active windows?
- I never understood why mac users primarily have applications windowed, while windows users prefer maximised... and I still don't. But I do know that using OSX I don't feel the necessity to maximise apps like I did during windows. Weird right?
- I'm using the laptop with an external monitor (Dell U2414h) and to be honest... the text is really poor? I never had this issue with windows and a quick google search pulls up some results, but no clear solution. I've tried different settings and cables to no benefit. Any ideas?

Pretty happy overall with the new laptop though! I definitely thought it'd take longer than it has to become accustomed to the differences between OSX and Windows.

Two reasons: Mission Control and borderless windows.

Deku Tree

Hi guys!

I'm using a Dell u2713hm with a 15" rMBP and I have no issues like that, the text looks fantastic. You should be using the display port to mini display port cable ($5 on Amazon) or Dual Link DVI (requires expensive adaptor). Regular DVI or HDMI gives a much worse connection at lower res.

Kadux

Neo Member
Did you get this sorted? I had the same issue and found the solve let me know if you need it.

Unfortunately, not yet. Kinda gave up on it after so many failed attempts. can you PM me with your solution? Would be much appreciated!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Lion Fullscreen is amazing. Amazing. It's like Fullscreen done right. I actually don't understand Mac users that don't like to use it. It's so convenient and much better than keeping everything all over your main desktop. I get mad at app developers that don't implement the feature. Even Minecraft uses it and it's wonderful being able to fullscreen MC and swipe back and forth between it and Safari and the desktop. Wonderful.

When it was first implemented, Windows users eschewed it as "maximized" and laughed because they had it for years. It's not. It's far from maximizing as you can get. It's more akin to having a bunch of Windows 8 apps loaded up fullscreen but with a much better way of switching between them than just using Mission Control.

Can you guys help me out with a decision.

I have a top of the line 2013 rMPB 15" (2.3ghz i7, 16GB, 512GB HD, 2GB 750m). I do a decent amount of video editing, but mostly general audio recording/editing. No games, just Adobe Premiere Pro and a few other Adobe apps like Audition.

A few days back I picked up a refurbished Late 2013 13" Macbook Air with 1.7ghz Core i7, 8GB ram, 512GB HD. It does a surprisingly good job with Premier Pro. Some effects like Warp Stabilizing obviously take a bit more time, but nothing crazy. One thing that did worry me is that during a google hangout the fans were on full blast hurting the audio I was recording from my mic.

The reason for all of this is I am taking an extended trip to Japan, with a possible move out there and want to travel as light as possible. Also the 15" rMBP tends to heat up even when doing general things like browsing/working in office apps making lap use a bit uncomfortable.

I am trying to decide if the lower heat and portability of the Air is worth the extra power.

Granadier

Finally got my rMBP 15". It's blazing fast, thin and not that heavy. The first days I was trying chrome on it but decided against it since it killed the battery much faster. Couldn't get more than 5h just browsing and listening to music. Now I use safari and firefox and get around 7/8h on it.

Been trying to install windows 8.1 on it with bootcamp but been running into a bit of trouble. Can't seem to get my head around this one. Supposedly, it was a pretty straight forward process but after booting windows I get the "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration" error and I still don't know what to do about it...this has been bugging me. Other than that, amazing laptop!

This is old, but I was curious whether or not you have the discrete gpu with your 15"?

My 15" with the gt650m has the same issues with Chrome, and what I've found through gfxCardStatus and online researching is that Chrome really likes to kick on the discrete card for graphics processing and page speed up. Really cuts into battery life.

I have a top of the line 2013 rMPB 15" (2.3ghz i7, 16GB, 512GB HD, 2GB 750m). I do a decent amount of video editing, but mostly general audio recording/editing. No games, just Adobe Premiere Pro and a few other Adobe apps like Audition.

A few days back I picked up a refurbished Late 2013 13" Macbook Air with 1.7ghz Core i7, 8GB ram, 512GB HD. It does a surprisingly good job with Premier Pro. Some effects like Warp Stabilizing obviously take a bit more time, but nothing crazy. One thing that did worry me is that during a google hangout the fans were on full blast hurting the audio I was recording from my mic.

The reason for all of this is I am taking an extended trip to Japan, with a possible move out there and want to travel as light as possible. Also the 15" rMBP tends to heat up even when doing general things like browsing/working in office apps making lap use a bit uncomfortable.

I am trying to decide if the lower heat and portability of the Air is worth the extra power.

Personally, the extra ram is worth it to me - going from 16 to 8 is a bit of a drag.

zbeeb

Pick up BetterSnapTool. Same company as BetterTouchTool. It allows you to use Windows style snapping with your programs.
edit: After looking through BetterTouchTool, it looks like it may have the same snapping functionality build in.

Indeed it does! Absolutely love it for multitasking. Does BetterSnapTool add any improvements though? Some of the snap animations for BetterTouchTool are a little laggy and if they're improved in BetterSnapTool I'll definitely pay the few dollars for it.

I'm using an external monitor as well, Dell P2314T, and the
text is crisp. Make sure your display settings are set up to use "Best for Display".

I'm using a Dell u2713hm with a 15" rMBP and I have no issues like that, the text looks fantastic. You should be using the display port to mini display port cable ($5 on Amazon) or Dual Link DVI (requires expensive adaptor). Regular DVI or HDMI gives a much worse connection at lower res.

Thanks for the tips! I'm currently using a DP -> mini DP cable, I found a gamma setting on the screen to switch between pc/mac and I changed it from Best for Display to scaled and back again and it seems to have made a difference. I'm thinking part of it comes down to looking at a higher res screen and then back to the external - the text obviously isn't going to be as sharp.

Two reasons: Mission Control and borderless windows.

I never noticed that the windows were borderless till now and it definitely has a huge impact! Is mission control when you swipe up with 4 fingers to see all your open windows/desktops? Because thats a great feature too.

Lion Fullscreen is amazing. Amazing. It's like Fullscreen done right. I actually don't understand Mac users that don't like to use it. It's so convenient and much better than keeping everything all over your main desktop. I get mad at app developers that don't implement the feature. Even Minecraft uses it and it's wonderful being able to fullscreen MC and swipe back and forth between it and Safari and the desktop. Wonderful.

When it was first implemented, Windows users eschewed it as "maximized" and laughed because they had it for years. It's not. It's far from maximizing as you can get. It's more akin to having a bunch of Windows 8 apps loaded up fullscreen but with a much better way of switching between them than just using Mission Control.

I haven't made much use of fullscreen just yet, but I anticipate it'll be useful when I'm getting into some serious work, especially with the easy swipe to other windows.

Edit: So Chrome drains the battery pretty damn quick :|

Kadux

Neo Member
This is old, but I was curious whether or not you have the discrete gpu with your 15"?

My 15" with the gt650m has the same issues with Chrome, and what I've found through gfxCardStatus and online researching is that Chrome really likes to kick on the discrete card for graphics processing and page speed up. Really cuts into battery life.

I do. Mine is the top of the line with the gt750m. I also use gfxCardStatus and reached the same conclusion. Chrome is good, no doubt but uses too much power on battery.

TUSR

Banned

you can fix that easily with chrome://flags/

Kirby102

Hey guys,

My cousin just offloaded this Mid-2007 Mac Mini (A1176) to me and I'm not sure what I can do with it.

This particular model I think is the one that you can upgrade the processor, so I plan on upgrading the 1.83 GHz C2D to a 2.33 GHz C2D (T7600) and the RAM to 4GB. I also bought a 802.11n module for the Mac Mini that I'll replace the 802.11g card.

Would I be able to take advantage of installing beyond Lion? (seeing how they say to just delete the PlatformSupport.plist file?) Or is it better to stick with Lion?

Also, I wouldn't mind hooking this up to a TV, but my TV doesn't have any AUX in ports. Is there anything with male DVI+AUX to HDMI or anything with the like?

Fuchsdh

Hey guys,

My cousin just offloaded this Mid-2007 Mac Mini (A1176) to me and I'm not sure what I can do with it.

This particular model I think is the one that you can upgrade the processor, so I plan on upgrading the 1.83 GHz C2D to a 2.33 GHz C2D (T7600) and the RAM to 4GB. I also bought a 802.11n module for the Mac Mini that I'll replace the 802.11g card.

Would I be able to take advantage of installing beyond Lion? (seeing how they say to just delete the PlatformSupport.plist file?) Or is it better to stick with Lion?

Also, I wouldn't mind hooking this up to a TV, but my TV doesn't have any AUX in ports. Is there anything with male DVI+AUX to HDMI or anything with the like?

You could use it as a server. Other than that I'm not sure what it would be useful for--its HDD is dog-slow these days and its integrated graphics hold it back a lot.

Deku Tree

Hey guys,

Can you put an SSD to it? It has two drive bays right?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a 2010 mini and even that machine is horribly slow. I'm pretty sure it's the HDD too. It's just terrible. You could probably get some use out of it if you do what is suggested. Replace the HDD with an SSD. Doesn't look like the RAM can be upgraded past 4GB though so I think that might be it. 10.7 is the maximum it'll take too. Which isn't terrible if you just use it as a server or a browsing machine.

mug

I have a 2010 mini and even that machine is horribly slow. I'm pretty sure it's the HDD too. It's just terrible. You could probably get some use out of it if you do what is suggested. Replace the HDD with an SSD. Doesn't look like the RAM can be upgraded past 4GB though so I think that might be it. 10.7 is the maximum it'll take too. Which isn't terrible if you just use it as a server or a browsing machine.

You can take the 2010 to 16GB last time I checked... Also that model will be supported with 10.10.

Granadier

you can fix that easily with chrome://flags/

This is an option, or you can force the integrated to be used through gfxCardStatus. But in my experience that reduces the smoothness of Chrome, especially when scrolling large pages. It's unfortunate. Also, when using an Android phone it's hard to give up the browser syncing.
Indeed it does! Absolutely love it for multitasking. Does BetterSnapTool add any improvements though? Some of the snap animations for BetterTouchTool are a little laggy and if they're improved in BetterSnapTool I'll definitely pay the few dollars for it.

Yep, BST has more refinements it seems. No shaky animations or anything. You can also edit your snaps to add custom ones, and you can setup hotkeys. Easily worth $2 for me.

Anyone else with experience/feedback on this?

Deku Tree

Anyone else with experience/feedback on this?

Bring the 15" if you want to be 100% sure you'll have all the power that you need. If you don't care as much about getting possibly hung on some heavy applications and want to go light then bring the MBA. I have both and the MBA can slow down dramatically if you give it processor heavy applications, which I expected when buying it. Otherwise it's a fantastic computer.

Bring the 15" if you want to be 100% sure you'll have all the power that you need. If you don't care as much about getting possibly hung on some heavy applications and want to go light then bring the MBA. I have both and the MBA can slow down dramatically if you give it processor heavy applications, which I expected when buying it. Otherwise it's a fantastic computer.

Yeah, I guess it makes more sense to keep the rMBP and return the Air. Not worth going through the hassle of reselling the rMBP for 2lbs and 2".

Open to more feedback.

Thanks.

TUSR

Banned
This is an option, or you can force the integrated to be used through gfxCardStatus. But in my experience that reduces the smoothness of Chrome, especially when scrolling large pages. It's unfortunate. Also, when using an Android phone it's hard to give up the browser syncing

Browser syncing exists on iPhone too, gotta commit to that Apple ecosystem.

Deku Tree

Why doesn't Bungie.net fully support Safari? I have to switch to firefox or chrome in order to see peoples Destiny Guardians with all their armor etc etc...

Kadux

Neo Member
Finally installed Win 8.1 with bootcamp! Runs smooth but the trackpad only works with hard clicks (no tap) and I can't figure out how to configure it. Also, when installing steam, for some reason the font is all blurry or lacking in detail. Don't understand why...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Finally installed Win 8.1 with bootcamp! Runs smooth but the trackpad only works with hard clicks (no tap) and I can't figure out how to configure it. Also, when installing steam, for some reason the font is all blurry or lacking in detail. Don't understand why...
Make sure the resolution Windows is running at is the native resolution of the display. Unless you have Retina, then you'll need to make sure it also has scaling turned on to at least 150%. (Though unless 8 fixes it all completely, Windows HighDPI scaling is shit.)

Kadux

Neo Member
Make sure the resolution Windows is running at is the native resolution of the display. Unless you have Retina, then you'll need to make sure it also has scaling turned on to at least 150%. (Though unless 8 fixes it all completely, Windows HighDPI scaling is shit.)

I have a rMBP 15" and I didn't understand anything you typed :p Can you give me a few pointers? It's my first time using windows. Thanks a lot.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a rMBP 15" and I didn't understand anything you typed :p Can you give me a few pointers? It's my first time using windows. Thanks a lot.
There's your problem. It's blurry because Windows is running a much lower resolution than the display. But the catch is if you run Windows at the native resolution, you won't be able to use it because everything will be so tiny. So you'll need to set Windows scaling setting to at least 150% to be able to use it without squinting. But the other catch is that Windows has a horribly unfinished and undersupported HiDPI feature. It's best to just get used to the blurriness. The settings are in Display Options.

Kadux

Neo Member
There's your problem. It's blurry because Windows is running a much lower resolution than the display. But the catch is if you run Windows at the native resolution, you won't be able to use it because everything will be so tiny. So you'll need to set Windows scaling setting to at least 150% to be able to use it without squinting. But the other catch is that Windows has a horribly unfinished and undersupported HiDPI feature. It's best to just get used to the blurriness. The settings are in Display Options.

That's underwelming to say the least :( I'll only be using windows to play games so I can cope with it, I guess.
Thanks for the info :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Play around with it. If you're only using it for games the. It shouldn't matter as long as you just set the game resolution as best you can. You won't even notice. That's what happens when Apple moves ahead. Metro apps will look fine if you set it to full resolution, but anything on the desktop mode will be super tiny unless it happens to be one of the few apps for Windows that properly takes advantage of HiDPI scaling. Steam itself is a terrible culprit. It'll be unusable unless you use Living Room mode.

Just set Windows itself to 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 and ignore the blurriness. Less hassle.

Kadux

Neo Member
Here's the way Kaji told me to install Windows via bootcamp. Worked for me after a lot of failed attempts. Hope it can be of use to others!

• Create USB stick using Apple Bootcamp Assistant. This procedure only works with it.
• When it Bootamp assitant reboots your machine you need to interrupt the installation.
• When you hear the startup sound, hold option until it presents you with login options.
• Select your Macintosh HD to boot back into OSX.
• Run Disk Utility, select the Macintosh then choose the partitions tab.
• The BOOTCAMP partition should be at the bottom. Select this partition by clicking on it. Ensure it is the highlighted partition then press minus to remove it.
• Click apply on the bottom right to make the changes.
• Now press plus to add a new partition which will likely be names Macintosh HD2
• Select this new partition then you can define the settings on the right.
• Rename this to BOOTCAMP.
• Change the type to ExFAT.
• Now click apply on the again to make the changes.
• Reboot you Mac, press option again during the boot and this time select the Windows device with the USB logo on it. Its orange.
• Now it will start the install process. When it gets to the list of partition you should see four of them. You want the last one. It will say it cannot install on this.
• Make sure the fourth partition is selected then click format. When it is done the error message should be gone and you should be able to continue.
• During install it will suggest turning on auto updates. I recommend you turn this off until the bootcamp drivers are installed. When it is finished prepping the install it will reboot.
• Each time it reboots you will need to intervene by pressing option but from now on select the Windows device with the picture of the hard drive. It is a silver color
• It will reboot two or three times during the install. Each time you will need press option during boot to reselect the Windows device on the hard drive.

• At the end of the installation it will prompt you to install the Apple Bootcamp Drivers.

And done!

Jonm1010

Banned
I guess this is the best place to ask this question.

I am currently wanting to take my firs leap into MacBooks and I am eyeing a retina MacBook Pro. I will be using it primarily for light use: Internet, Microsoft Office, watching movies, shows. I do however need to run windows on it as well. Either through Bootcamp or Parallels.

My questions are:

How resource intensive is bootcamp ? I will be using windows primarily for a few work applications that aren't resource intensive and things like Quickbooks.

I am eyeing the 256gig model with the i5 2.6 with 8gigs of ram. Should I go ahead and get more ram? Maybe a better processor?

I want the computer to last a few years and would prefer to not go too high end so I can save some money to upgrade my gaming computer with the new Nvidia cards.

Granadier

How resource intensive is bootcamp ?

Here are a few of screenshots of my Activity Monitor. This was while Parallels was running Windows 8.1 with Visual Studio 2013 active. RAM wise, if you are going with a Retina I would advise getting as much RAM as you can afford since you can't upgrade it in the future. At the same time though, it doesn't seem like you would be doing anything with it that would demand >8gb, so it's your call.

pxHYnKa.jpg

QMozP8S.jpg

7dcbZfu.jpg
2012 15" w/GT 650M and 2.6ghz i7

Jonm1010

Banned
Here are a few of screenshots of my Activity Monitor. This was while Parallels was running Windows 8.1 with Visual Studio 2013 active. RAM wise, if you are going with a Retina I would advise getting as much RAM as you can afford since you can't upgrade it in the future. At the same time though, it doesn't seem like you would be doing anything with it that would demand >8gb, so it's your call.

2012 15" w/GT 650M and 2.6ghz i7

Thanks a lot. I will probably upgrade the ram then just to be safe. But I guess everything else should be fine, the i5 and the intel iris graphics card.

Im just hoping to use it for at least 3 years. Just tired of the rotating door of shitty windows laptops I've been buying.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I have a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro from mid 2009.

I bought and switched a SSD drive into it and I am now a believer.

Even if I just cloned my drive to the new SSD, the system boots at least 5 times faster and rocks photo editing software now like a champ. I AM IN LOVE WITH SSD!

I will now start preaching the good word to all of my friends.

PRAISE SSD OVERLORD, PRAISE IN WHATEVER MACHINE YOU ENTER!

I have a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro from mid 2009.

I bought and switched a SSD drive into it and I am now a believer.

Even if I just cloned my drive to the new SSD, the system boots at least 5 times faster and rocks photo editing software now like a champ. I AM IN LOVE WITH SSD!

I will now start preaching the good word to all of my friends.

PRAISE SSD OVERLORD, PRAISE IN WHATEVER MACHINE YOU ENTER!

Haha, awesome to hear! At some point last year I chucked 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD into my 2.66GHz 2008 MacBook Pro and it was just an incredible difference.

The SSD in my main work PC died so it's currently running off a HDD and the pain is real.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Haha, awesome to hear! At some point last year I chucked 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD into my 2.66GHz 2008 MacBook Pro and it was just an incredible difference.

The SSD in my main work PC died so it's currently running off a HDD and the pain is real.

Almost the same machine you have. Same size ssd too.
I'm just so happy because I have so many apps open when I multitask that the hdd just couldnt keep up with my constant switching in between recently.
Now everything just works so magnificently. I was going to give this laptop to my mom, but I'll postpone that new laptop purchase a bit longer.

No SSD, no life

Pinewood

Anyone here dealt with faulty Magsafes? Mine flickers when connected to the computer when connected but doesn't charge (Macbook is fine). The charger probably got some water in the summer. Long story short my brother is an idiot and spilled his bedside glass on my closed Macbook (charger attached).

TUSR

Banned
Anyone here dealt with faulty Magsafes? Mine flickers when connected to the computer when connected but doesn't charge (Macbook is fine). The charger probably got some water in the summer. Long story short my brother is an idiot and spilled his bedside glass on my closed Macbook (charger attached).

you mean damaged.

try a different charger.

Deku Tree

Yes. Point is, does anyone have experience repairing these things?

Unless your an electrical engineer I don't recommend trying to repair it, and maybe even if you are one. It's not worth it IMO. You could start a fire and destroy your expensive laptop and have no warranty coverage. Just buy a new one for approx $50.

Pinewood

Well, depending whats broken it also might be a super easy fix and since this is also somewhat similiar to what Im learning... (not an electrical engineer though)

Anyways, any good programs out there to log hard-drive activity, check health and so on? My computer's kinda slow and Im suspecting the HDD is the culprit. (maybe I should do something with all the tabs I have open, too)

Top Bottom