• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

So what's the deal with MS Office? Is it the defacto productivity suite on the Mac (and iOS) now? Does iWork have a future?

MS Office is still the best. A lot of other solutions can "get the job done" for most people most of the time.

iWork and Google browser apps feel gutted sometimes if you want to do some "power user" type thing but I'm always able to do anything in Office.

For example excel can always do anything I want but sometimes using iWork or The others I run into a situation where I'm saying "why can't I do that?"

Edit: I haven't tried open office.

Miyahon

Does anyone know how to factory reset a Mac G5 running OSX 10.5.8? I dont have any recovery CD or anything like that.

10.5 requires the included OSX disc that came with the computer.

As you use Disk Utility to erase the HD and do a reinstall all with the same disc.

If they announce a 14" rMBP that weighs 3 pounds with the option for a quad core processor I will literally cream my pants

Sorry I'm getting ancy for WWDC

test_account

XP-39C²
10.5 requires the included OSX disc that came with the computer.

As you use Disk Utility to erase the HD and do a reinstall all with the same disc.
There might be system CDs at the Macintosh Garden.
Thanks for the help. Pity that there isnt any easier way. I tried to look at Mac Garden and also search on Google, but i couldnt find anything. I guess maybe another solution is to format the harddisk and simply use a OSX CD to install again?

caramac

anyone with a mid 2011 imac ever get their gpu replaced out of warranty? I'm wondering how much apple charges

I just had mine replaced free of charge in Feb this year, my Imac was 11 months out of applecare but with a matter of weeks to spare l made it inside the four year cut off.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203787

TCry6qJ.jpg

Pinewood

Soo can we expect all new Macbooks to come with USB-C charging at some point? Had a second magsafe break and man this is so annoying. At least with USB charging I could plug it into an iPad charger and juice it overnight

Soo can we expect all new Macbooks to come with USB-C charging at some point? Had a second magsafe break and man this is so annoying. At least with USB charging I could plug it into an iPad charger and juice it overnight

A MacBook Pro with USB-C charging, video out and Thunderbolt out of the one port would be amazing.
Get one of those monitors with a built in USB hub and you have a true 1 cable docking solution.

Fuchsdh

I like MagSafe a lot.

I wish Apple would ditch Lightning and go all in on USB-C.

Problem is USB-C is not as thin as Lightning, it's (IMO) a worse port design (pins on the receptacle, more like to fail, although there's other considerations like spring locations that are reversed) and IIRC there's still a small list of things Lightning can do that USB can't.

It's possible they might switch at some point but I wouldn't expect them to do it very soon. We had a 30pin for almost nine years, and we're in year four of Lightning.

EmiPrime

Problem is USB-C is not as thin as Lightning, it's (IMO) a worse port design (pins on the receptacle, more like to fail, although there's other considerations like spring locations that are reversed) and IIRC there's still a small list of things Lightning can do that USB can't.

It's possible they might switch at some point but I wouldn't expect them to do it very soon. We had a 30pin for almost nine years, and we're in year four of Lightning.

There's advantages to both but ultimately I'd rather have one cable for everything.

mrkgoo

Don't know where else to mention, but on the iTunes movie store in my country, they have a banner with "Memorable Mums", presumably a promotion to celebrate Mothers Day.

You know, expected stuff like Boyhood, StepMom, The queen...but as I scroll along, I get Psycho, Terminator 2, Friday the 13th...and Aliens.

I loled. So is the Alien Queen the mother in that film? OR is it referring to Ripley? Either way, lol.

I just sold my MacBook Pro 512GB AMD 370MX for $1700! It's only 68.2% of the student pricing with tax, but I can put that money towards the new MacBook Pro next month.

Anion

Ive been trying to sell my 2011 MacbookPro 15 with 16gb and MS 2011 office + original ram and box with plastics for $800 lol. No one bites, might have to start lowering it

Also, I tried out the new Macbook and dang Im sad. I didnt like the keyboard at all..

LeleSocho

Banned
I just sold my MacBook Pro 512GB AMD 370MX for $1700! It's only 68.2% of the student pricing with tax, but I can put that money towards the new MacBook Pro next month.

You are taking your chances here, MBP may not be released until later this year.

Ive been trying to sell my 2011 MacbookPro 15 with 16gb and MS 2011 office + original ram and box with plastics for $800 lol. No one bites, might have to start lowering it

Also, I tried out the new Macbook and dang Im sad. I didnt like the keyboard at all..
Yikes 800$ with 16GB and no one buys? I think i will hold on mine then...

EmiPrime

Put a SSD in it. The value will go up way more than the cost of parts and it will sell for sure.

For anyone who switched to a MB from a laptop or desktop with a number pad, how hard was the adjustment? I use my number pad all the time. I rarely use the top number keys when I have to do calculations, or enter in a string of numbers otherwise.

Also, anyone use Citrix Receiver to do remote work?

For anyone who switched to a MB from a laptop or desktop with a number pad, how hard was the adjustment? I use my number pad all the time. I rarely use the top number keys when I have to do calculations, or enter in a string of numbers otherwise.

Get a USB numberpad? My partner has one she uses with both her Mac and PC laptops.

Get a USB numberpad? My partner has one she uses with both her Mac and PC laptops.

Yeah, that's always an answer. I could even use the Magic Trackpad as one. When you want to travel light, though, it's not always an option.

I'm attempting to install software on my old Toshiba w/ Xubuntu that is 14" and with no numberpad. Figure it could be a decent way to test my work environment.

Anion

You are taking your chances here, MBP may not be released until later this year.

Yikes 800$ with 16GB and no one buys? I think i will hold on mine then...
Yeah it's a bit sad. I know that selling it at $700 will be a quick sell, but on eBay that's like $600 in my pocket after eBay and PayPal fees. Might also put it up on Cragslist when I come back from a trip.
Put a SSD in it. The value will go up way more than the cost of parts and it will sell for sure.
I probably will once I find a good deal, which could be soon or something haha. I just wonder maybe if it helps a lot I might not sell it lol!

EmiPrime

I probably will once I find a good deal, which could be soon or something haha. I just wonder maybe if it helps a lot I might not sell it lol!

It will. If you want my opinion a 2011 mbp with 16gb ram and SSD still has another 5 years of use at least left in it.

Fuchsdh

Yeah it's a bit sad. I know that selling it at $700 will be a quick sell, but on eBay that's like $600 in my pocket after eBay and PayPal fees. Might also put it up on Cragslist when I come back from a trip.

Keep in mind that Craigslist you probably will have to quote a lower price. Whether or not you still come out ahead because of eBay taking your cut is another matter, but I certainly wouldn't buy something off Craigslist for the same I'd pay on eBay.

Anion

It will. If you want my opinion a 2011 mbp with 16gb ram and SSD still has another 5 years of use at least left in it.
I believe you. I just bought a windows laptop that's significantly lighter though, so I didn't mind selling it off for a cheaper MacBook (But thats not necessarily cheaper and I dont like the keyboard)
Keep in mind that Craigslist you probably will have to quote a lower price. Whether or not you still come out ahead because of eBay taking your cut is another matter, but I certainly wouldn't buy something off Craigslist for the same I'd pay on eBay.

Hmm, Ill have to keep that in mind. Never sold anything off craigslist, so Im already hesitant

Fuchsdh

I believe you. I just bought a windows laptop that's significantly lighter though, so I didn't mind selling it off for a cheaper MacBook (But thats not necessarily cheaper and I dont like the keyboard)

Hmm, Ill have to keep that in mind. Never sold anything off craigslist, so Im already hesitant

As long as you practice some safety tips it's not bad. You can also meet in a neutral location so you could save some money on shipping versus selling online too. Really Craigslist just gives a lot more power to the seller, whereas eBay is the opposite, so they come with their own positives and negatives.

EmiPrime

Whatsapp finally have their own Mac app.

Except it's not a real app, just some sort of web view wrapper so just like the website it pushes the messages back and forth via your phone.

And the whole app quits when the window is closed.

But it's a start.

Shun

So uh my 5 year old macbook charger is fucked and I noticed that it started smoking and burning 10 minutes ago. It's out of warranty but it is a fire hazard and it has singe marks and shit.

Can Apple replace my charger. I don't wanna drop like 80 USD 50 USD on a new MBP/OWC charger.

Any hookups?

img

Fuchsdh

So uh my 5 year old macbook charger is fucked and I noticed that it started smoking and burning 10 minutes ago. It's out of warranty but it is a fire hazard and it has singe marks and shit.

Can Apple replace my charger. I don't wanna drop like 80 USD 50 USD on a new MBP/OWC charger.

Any hookups?

img

Nothing lost trying to hit up Apple but you either pay for something genuine or cheap out on a knockoff and hope you don't catch something on fire.

Deku Tree

Any hookups?

img

Doesn't hurt to ask Apple if they made that charger.

I would never buy a charger except one made by Apple. There is always a higher risk that a non-Apple charger can catch on fire due to using cheap parts or poor build quality etc.

Shun

Nah this is straight up Apple stuff.

I never bought a knockoff before so thats why i asked.

OWC chargers seem legit tho.

Anion

Ended up selling the 2011 MBP with 16GB ram, clean install, original 4gb ram sticks, and a copy of 2011 MS office installed for $800 on ebay last night. Was about to take it down since I am leaving for vacation next week.

Now...for the replacement lol

Deku Tree

Nah this is straight up Apple stuff.

I never bought a knockoff before so thats why i asked.

OWC chargers seem legit tho.

Did you splice the wire or something? It is covered in a lot of electrical tape and the electrical tape looks like it might be connected to other stuff. IDK

I would've stopped using my charger and gotten a new one the moment I had to wrap the cable up in electrical tape.

About to sell a 2014 MBPr 13" with stock everything but a 256GB SSD for $1000 and warranty through December 2017. A little less than I wanted but the market is what the market is

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Did you splice the wire or something? It is covered in a lot of electrical tape and the electrical tape looks like it might be connected to other stuff. IDK

I would've stopped using my charger and gotten a new one the moment I had to wrap the cable up in electrical tape.
I don't see a problem with just taping it if the only thing that's broken is the rubber coating. The tape basically just acts as the coating in that case. However if the greenish netted wire protection underneath is broken in any way (Say the wire itself actually got crimped in a door or something) then I wouldn't recommend using it anymore. Definitely not. Once the wires themselves are exposed, its time to throw it away and replace it.

I'm trying to save up to at least $2000 in my bank account so I feel comfortable financially before I take my rMBP to an Apple Store and see what they can do for my beleaguered keyboard with the single defective T key. I really wish I hadn't missed my AppleCare reminder email... AGAIN. When I'm there I'll probably go all out and buy a new charger too and retire my current one to just being a desk charger. Possibly a few new Lightning cables too. I currently have two. One that is taped and I keep it in the car and one that I got from my mom when she replaced her iPhone that is still intact but the rubber is DEFINITELY expanding and is going to crack at any point now.

I'd almost be tempted to just replace the laptop at this point and sell the old one if Intel had made any major advancements since I got this in 2013. It's practically still top of the line at this point. I bought it with the intention of keeping it for at least 3 years. (I'm on 2.5) At this rate of Intel development speed, I'll probably have it for 5 or more. (Never once has it ever felt slow. I'm glad I went all out when I got it.)

Shun

Shit I'm still using my early 2011 MBP and it is working fine for what I need so far... I don't know when I'll be able to afford an upgrade.

The only thing so far that's bothering me is that the battery is at 50% capacity now and my charger is a fire hazard.

Going to the Apple store today or tomorrow to try and get a replacement. Maybe save some money to get a replacement battery too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Shit I'm still using my early 2011 MBP and it is working fine for what I need so far... I don't know when I'll be able to afford an upgrade.

The only thing so far that's bothering me is that the battery is at 50% capacity now and my charger is a fire hazard.

Going to the Apple store today or tomorrow to try and get a replacement. Maybe save some money to get a replacement battery too.
Depending on who the Genius is and what your story is, you never know when you might get a deal, a discount or a free replacement. Worst case, you end up paying the entire $80. Just don't be rude. Some people have luck explaining how long they've been a loyal user. But not everyone.

I'm fully prepared to pay $600 or so for a keyboard replacement because it's partially my fault. But hopefully I can get a deal if I explain that it's just one damn key and nothing else is wrong with the machine. I just don't get why when I called Apple Support (Or rather they called me. I love tech support in the future.) they couldn't give me a ballpark figure so I know what to expect. I assume it means they adjust the price depending on the problem.

In 2005 when I got a Mac mini, I got a deal on a RAM upgrade by talking the guy down. Turns out he was secretly giving me an unannounced price drop anyway but it did make me happy that he went to that length to make me happy. (I'd have felt stupid had I gotten the normal price and saw it drop a few days later.)

Anion

Depending on who the Genius is and what your story is, you never know when you might get a deal, a discount or a free replacement. Worst case, you end up paying the entire $80. Just don't be rude. Some people have luck explaining how long they've been a loyal user. But not everyone.

I'm fully prepared to pay $600 or so for a keyboard replacement because it's partially my fault. But hopefully I can get a deal if I explain that it's just one damn key and nothing else is wrong with the machine. I just don't get why when I called Apple Support (Or rather they called me. I love tech support in the future.) they couldn't give me a ballpark figure so I know what to expect. I assume it means they adjust the price depending on the problem.

In 2005 when I got a Mac mini, I got a deal on a RAM upgrade by talking the guy down. Turns out he was secretly giving me an unannounced price drop anyway but it did make me happy that he went to that length to make me happy. (I'd have felt stupid had I gotten the normal price and saw it drop a few days later.)

I replaced the keyboard myself lol. Keyboard was dead and I was positive that was the only thing wrong. They gave me a quote of $160 for the whole top case + labor.

I was like...no.

Went online to ebay. Bought an $18 keyboard replacement. Installed it. Took ~2 hours cause I was careful and slow. Cleaned her internals while I was in there and bam. Done. Keyboard and backlight was amazing now. Also, the amount of hair and dust in the keyboard compartment was stunning. Like really bad, so the following day I bought a keyboard cover for my Windows gaming laptop lol

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I replaced the keyboard myself lol. Keyboard was dead and I was positive that was the only thing wrong. They gave me a quote of $160 for the whole top case + labor.

I was like...no.

Went online to ebay. Bought an $18 keyboard replacement. Installed it. Took ~2 hours cause I was careful and slow. Cleaned her internals while I was in there and bam. Done. Keyboard and backlight was amazing now. Also, the amount of hair and dust in the keyboard compartment was stunning. Like really bad, so the following day I bought a keyboard cover for my Windows gaming laptop lol
This is a 2013 rMBP. Have you SEEN the replacement steps for this? You have to replace the entire top case just for the keyboard because it's all one unit. Not only that but you have to remove the batteries, which are glued in, and all the circuit boards. I sure as shit ain't doing this myself. Even if I found a replacement top case for $40. I'd be lucky to get a quote of $160 to fix it. Googling brought me to an estimate of ~$600.

Anion

This is a 2013 rMBP. Have you SEEN the replacement steps for this? You have to replace the entire top case just for the keyboard because it's all one unit. Not only that but you have to remove the batteries, which are glued in, and all the circuit boards. I sure as shit ain't doing this myself. Even if I found a replacement top case for $40. I'd be lucky to get a quote of $160 to fix it. Googling brought me to an estimate of ~$600.

Looked through it on ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...te+2013+Upper+Case+Assembly+Replacement/26370

Seems pretty similar to the 2011 mbp actually. If I understand correctly, all you need to do is go through step 39. Then literally pull off the taped ends of the keyboard compartment. Then bam. (well unscrew 70 screws).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271942982030?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Here for $25-30.

But if your not comfortable, dont do this. Its not as hard as it looks though.

EmiPrime

A well designed laptop should be a consumer serviceable laptop. I have the tools and skills to do my own repairs but the rMBP is utterly miserable. It's sad what Apple's design has become and it's terrible for the environment.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Step 39. Out of 42. Hell no. I'll pay to have it fixed.

You wanna come and replace it for me? Go ahead. But I'm just not that confident or patient these days. I'd be afraid I'd break something or strip a screw. I won't even do my iMac because you have to replace adhesive. With my luck I'd do it wrong and the display would fall off while I'm sleeping one night.

Ended up selling the 2011 MBP with 16GB ram, clean install, original 4gb ram sticks, and a copy of 2011 MS office installed for $800 on ebay last night. Was about to take it down since I am leaving for vacation next week.

Now...for the replacement lol

That's not bad for a 5 year old MacBook Pro. Hopefully the buyer don't request for a refund because your MacBook "doesn't match the description".

Pinewood

I don't see a problem with just taping it if the only thing that's broken is the rubber coating. The tape basically just acts as the coating in that case. However if the greenish netted wire protection underneath is broken in any way (Say the wire itself actually got crimped in a door or something) then I wouldn't recommend using it anymore. Definitely not. Once the wires themselves are exposed, its time to throw it away and replace it.

If you got any aoldering skills, its not such a hard fix. The charger on my Macbook was already cut when I bought it, but the owner had fixed it with tape. At some point (but not after I bought it because Im lazy) I bought some thermoshrinking sleeves and fixed it. Worked fine until my brother spilled water on it.

Bought a cheap ass knockoff after that, it stopped functioning last week (it has been a bit over a year).

Anion

Step 39. Out of 42. Hell no. I'll pay to have it fixed.

You wanna come and replace it for me? Go ahead. But I'm just not that confident or patient these days. I'd be afraid I'd break something or strip a screw. I won't even do my iMac because you have to replace adhesive. With my luck I'd do it wrong and the display would fall off while I'm sleeping one night.
Lol, I was just saying cause I think it's ridiculous that Apple will replace the whole top case instead for $500-600, when it's literally sheet metal + trackpad (probably $80 at most) + keyboard (which is $40 at most).
That's not bad for a 5 year old MacBook Pro. Hopefully the buyer don't request for a refund because your MacBook "doesn't match the description".
Yeah that's my worry actually. Buyer has good history though. Just will be cautious until 30 days have passed

Lol, I was just saying cause I think it's ridiculous that Apple will replace the whole top case instead for $500-600, when it's literally sheet metal + trackpad (probably $80 at most) + keyboard (which is $40 at most).

Yeah that's my worry actually. Buyer has good history though. Just will be cautious until 30 days have passed

I thought the PayPal dispute window has been bumped to 180 days recently.

Top Bottom