• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So, changing icons in osx is actually pretty easy. With one exception: documents, downloads and iCal. The latter I never use, so whatever, but the problem with documents and downloads in the dock is that they change according to the latest document put in/downloaded. Any way I can disable this active displaying or is that asking for too much :)

Jasoco

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
So, changing icons in osx is actually pretty easy. With one exception: documents, downloads and iCal. The latter I never use, so whatever, but the problem with documents and downloads in the dock is that they change according to the latest document put in/downloaded. Any way I can disable this active displaying or is that asking for too much :)
Right click and Display as Folder.

Rei_Toei said:
lol you never tried right-clicking on them.

Pachimari

SnakeXs said:
Yes, you open Disk Utility, pick the drive in question on the left, go to the Erase tab, name it, and off you go. Takes minutes, if that.
Where is the Erase tab?
Found out the one I just bought is a NTFS one. So how do I make it read/write on both Windows and Mac? =/

Blackhead

Redarse
Anastacio said:
Alright, so what do I do? =(
Oh, i skimmed over the part where you wrote its a new drive (so probably still empty). You can reformat it to FAT32 if you'd like but NTFS is a lot better though so Paragon is worth it in the long run

Pachimari

Charred Greyface said:
Oh, i skimmed over the part where you wrote its a new drive (so probably still empty). You can reformat it to FAT32 if you'd like but NTFS is a lot better though so Paragon is worth it in the long run
I can only format it to exFat on Windows. Yes it's empty but I renamed it on Windows. What is Paragon?
I just want to be able to write/read on my new drive. I'm kinda sad now, just bought it hehe.

Edit: Should I buy this Paragon?
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Charred Greyface said:

Just know that this is buggy as shit!

I use it and it's great, but be careful with moving/copying files to/from the drive.. sometimes they just.. vanish.

Deleting large folders also gets them perpetually stuck in the trash (Even secure delete doesn't remove them).. you need to remove the trashes folder on the root of the drive via terminal or windows to fully clear your trash out of an NTFS drive.

It's a great tool to have, but there are lots of problems that come with it.

Pachimari

DrEvil said:

I use it and it's great, but be careful with moving/copying files to/from the drive.. sometimes they just.. vanish.

Deleting large folders also gets them perpetually stuck in the trash (Even secure delete doesn't remove them).. you need to remove the trashes folder on the root of the drive via terminal or windows to fully clear your trash out of an NTFS drive.

So what you guys are saying is, that I got no good solution? Sucks for me lol. =/

Blackhead

Redarse
DrEvil said:

Aha that explains a problem I had earlier with emptying the trash. But Path Finder, my last resort, always emptied the trash so I ignored it. I haven't had the problem about vanishing files though so I'm lucky on that regard.

DrEvil said:

1.) I've never had a single file vanish in 6 months.

2.) CleanMyMac deletes anything in the trash if necessary. I've had to do it maybe 2 times during my ownership of my Mac.

Charred Greyface said:
Aha that explains a problem I had earlier with emptying the trash. But Path Finder, my last resort, always emptied the trash so I ignored it. I haven't had the problem about vanishing files though so I'm lucky on that regard.
Onyx or CleanMyMac will always delete what's in the trash. fyi.

Anastacio said:
I'm heading back to the store trying to return it, hopefully they understand. How can I see if a hard disk Is FAT32 or NTFS?
your external setup would have worked either way with Paragon. I use it and back up files to a few NTFS formatted external HDDs. it's not a problem at all.

thatbox

Banned
Anastacio said:
I can only format it to exFat on Windows. Yes it's empty but I renamed it on Windows. What is Paragon?
I just want to be able to write/read on my new drive. I'm kinda sad now, just bought it hehe.

Edit: Should I buy this Paragon?
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Don't buy that. Get NTFS-3G for OS X. It's free, open source and I've never had any problems with it. I use NTFS for all of my external drives because it works well in both OS X and Windows.

Pachimari

Just got home. They are not taking it back just yet as they too say I can use Disc Utility. But how come my Mac Mini doesn't have that application? Is it on the OS installation disc?

If I format it on Windows instead it'll let me make it a "exFat" format, is this good enough?

btkadams

Your mac mini doesn't have it? It's in a folder called "Utilities" which is in the "Applications" folder.

Or use spotlight (CMD + Spacebar) and type Disk Utility.

Pachimari

btkadams said:
Your mac mini doesn't have it? It's in a folder called "Utilities" which is in the "Applications" folder.

Or use spotlight (CMD + Spacebar) and type Disk Utility.
Found it thanks! So if I format it through Disc Utility will It still be write/read on Windows as well as Mac?

Krelian

thatbox said:
Don't buy that. Get NTFS-3G for OS X. It's free, open source and I've never had any problems with it. I use NTFS for all of my external drives because it works well in both OS X and Windows.
I second this. I've been using NTFS-3G for a long time now. It's quite stable. There's really no need to format to FAT32.

thatbox said:
interesting. I'll check it out. Free is always convenient.

Ashhong

Anastacio said:
Interesting yea. Before I try it out, I formatted the hard disk to "exFat" - isn't that good enough?

Did you do that with Disk Utility? Is that the result from choosing MS-DOS (Fat) in the option choice? I dont know if exFat is good enough for things such as PS3. By the way, depending on your usage of this external, you should keep it on Fat32 and not NTFS. For example that would allow you to plug it into a PS3 to watch movies off of.

If you have access to a Windows computer or bootcamp, just google fat32format

Hey, expect to see me more often in this thread because Apple has finally shipped my MacBookPro (17" anti-glare, i7, SSD) :D ... and I already have some questions about OSX and TimeMachine:

since my SSD is only 128GB (or more like 110GB of real space) I want to use my 1TB USB-drive as an external extension of my disc space.
  • Do I have to format it in a special ...well....format?
  • Is it possible to use it like a normal drive beside using it as a TimeMachine backup drive?
  • And if so, can TimeMachine backup the data on the same harddrive where the original data is? (I know, this might not make sense in the traditional sense of backup but I want to able to go "back in time" to restore previous versions and stuff)

Thanks guys!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
which1spink said:
Hey, expect to see me more often in this thread because Apple has finally shipped my MacBookPro (17" anti-glare, i7, SSD) :D ... and I already have some questions about OSX and TimeMachine:

since my SSD is only 128GB (or more like 110GB of real space) I want to use my 1TB USB-drive as an external extension of my disc space.
  • Is it possible to use it like a normal drive beside using it as a TimeMachine backup drive?
  • And if so, can TimeMachine backup the data on the same harddrive where the original data is? (I know, this might not make sense in the traditional sense of backup but I want to able to go "back in time" to restore previous versions and stuff)

Thanks guys!

No special format, just Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) (mentioned a bit earlier how to format it to that). If you already have stuff on it and are coming from Windows then yeah you're gonna have to move stuff around and off of it to format it.
Yes, but you're going to want to partition it. Give your Time Machine 2-3x what your hard drive is (so around 400 gigs) depending on how far back you want things kept, and then another partition just for data storage.
I'm pretty sure you can backup from external drives, but don't quote me on that.

Jasoco

Banned
I've found that any time I format a HD as FAT from Disk Utility it never works in any Windows machine I try it on. I always get an unrecognized error.

Ashhong said:
holy crap you can use expose IN spaces?! :OOOOO mind blown, this is awesome
I discovered this by accident because my BTT gesture for Spaces is just one finger more than the gesture for Expose. Need to stop resting my other hand so close to the trackpad...

A little annoyance I have with Pages. Every time I open a document it starts at the last place you were when you closed the document. Now, for many people this is pretty useful but for what I'm doing right now it doesn't really help me. Is there a way to open a document and have it open at the top of the page and not where you last left off?

which1spink said:

Thanks guys!

I don't know if this is just me, but I've found the space capacity on SSD's to be a lot closer to their actual capacity than traditional mechanical drives.

Pachimari

Ashhong said:
Did you do that with Disk Utility? Is that the result from choosing MS-DOS (Fat) in the option choice? I dont know if exFat is good enough for things such as PS3. By the way, depending on your usage of this external, you should keep it on Fat32 and not NTFS. For example that would allow you to plug it into a PS3 to watch movies off of.

If you have access to a Windows computer or bootcamp, just google fat32format
I did it in Windows. I just need it for movies and photos for my Mac Mini and when I need to transfer photos from a Windows machine. exFat works so far but I'll look for that fat32format software you guys talk about. Because I have heard when people use Disc Utility it won't work properly on Windows. Can all of my data get erased if it's exFat? All my memories are on it.

Ashhong

Anastacio said:
I did it in Windows. I just need it for movies and photos for my Mac Mini and when I need to transfer photos from a Windows machine. exFat works so far but I'll look for that fat32format software you guys talk about. Because I have heard when people use Disc Utility it won't work properly on Windows. Can all of my data get erased if it's exFat? All my memories are on it.

I forgot the limitations of exFAT, but I have never had problems with a harddrive after formatting it using the Disk Utility MS-DOS option. If you format the drive now and it has your memories, yes it will get deleted. Back that up before you continue playing with things like fat32format

Pachimari

Ashhong said:
I forgot the limitations of exFAT, but I have never had problems with a harddrive after formatting it using the Disk Utility MS-DOS option. If you format the drive now and it has your memories, yes it will get deleted. Back that up before you continue playing with things like fat32format
I have it all backed up on other harddisks. I just downloaded fat32format but don't know how to use it. I'll try formating it with Disc Utility later then - I gotta talk with Apple about my broken iPhone 4 first this morning *suk*.

Pachimari

I just want to be totally sure now. The harddisk is formated to exFAT. It works both with my Mac Mini and Windows. I just need it for those two operating systems and only need it to view movies and photos on the tv. Isn't that format good enough then? Or will it eventually make files disappear?

Ashhong

Anastacio said:
I just want to be totally sure now. The harddisk is formated to exFAT. It works both with my Mac Mini and Windows. I just need it for those two operating systems and only need it to view movies and photos on the tv. Isn't that format good enough then? Or will it eventually make files disappear?

from doing a quick search, it seems like exFAT is not supported by Windows XP. so that may or may not be an issue with you. Other than that I guess you could stick with it. I need fat32 so that I can use it on my PS3.

also, to use fat32format, all you have to do is put the exe file in your C directory (this may or may not be necessary), type "cmd" in the windows quick launch, and then type "fat32format x:" where x is the drive letter, into the command prompt.

Pachimari

Ashhong said:
from doing a quick search, it seems like exFAT is not supported by Windows XP. so that may or may not be an issue with you. Other than that I guess you could stick with it. I need fat32 so that I can use it on my PS3.

also, to use fat32format, all you have to do is put the exe file in your C directory (this may or may not be necessary), type "cmd" in the windows quick launch, and then type "fat32format x:" where x is the drive letter, into the command prompt.
I'll try your suggestion with fat32format.

Edit:
Hmm.. I put the .exe file in drive C. But when I open it, it just closes before I get to see what's on it.

Edit 2:
Ahh, I type "cmd" in the search bar - got it.

Edit 3:
When I write "fat32format x:" (J in my case), it doesn't recognise it as an internal nor external harddrive. What am I doing wrong?

hirokazu

Hmmm, guys, I need help with by boot times. It seems to stall for 10-15 sec immediately after "DSMOS has arrived" before continuing.

I've looked through the boot logs in Console, this is what used to happen, as per normal behaviour:
Code:
Sep 19 12:03:00 localhost kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived
Sep 19 12:03:00 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS driver 3.2 [Flags: R/W].

But then, on Oct 11, this gets logged:
Code:
[b]Oct 11 21:44:03 iMac06 kernel[0]: Waiting for DSMOS...[/b]
Oct 11 21:44:08 iMac06 kernel[0]: NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered.
Oct 11 21:44:13 iMac06 kernel[0]: AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA
Oct 11 21:44:13 iMac06 kernel[0]: AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <= 1024, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328
Oct 11 21:44:15 iMac06 kernel[0]: [069fd400][BNBMouseDevice::init][51] init is complete
[b]Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived[/b]
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: RBIOKitController: started.
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: yukon: Ethernet address 00:17:f2:d3:f4:0e
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx: Ethernet address 00:19:e3:dc:f7:6d
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: IO80211Controller::dataLinkLayerAttachComplete():  adding AppleEFINVRAM notification
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 1 (Unspecified).
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: [069fd400][BNBMouseDevice::handleStart][51] Done
Oct 11 21:44:16 iMac06 kernel[0]: [072e8b00][AppleMultitouchHIDEventDriver::start] entered
Oct 11 21:44:17 iMac06 kernel[0]: [07320a80][AppleMultitouchDevice::start] entered
Oct 11 21:44:18 iMac06 kernel[0]: Ethernet [AppleYukon2]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,ac0c,0de1,0200,cde1,2c00]
[b]Oct 11 21:44:25 iMac06 kernel[0]: NTFS driver 3.2 [Flags: R/W].[/b]

And ever since then, there's always a 10-15 second pause after "DSMOS has arrived" before the next message:
Code:
Oct 29 18:15:43 localhost kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived
Oct 29 18:15:54 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS driver 3.2 [Flags: R/W].

Apart from the entries on Oct 11, it never logs "Waiting for DSMOS..." and the "DSMOS has arrived" message is always followed by the NTFS driver one.

The only thing I may have installed around then is possibly software updates, and seems DSMOS does nothing but try to stop OS X booting on hackintoshes, so it'd piss me off if that is the cause.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Pachimari

So i copied my whole iTunes library to the external harddisk. Now I have it plugged into the Mac Mini and has updated the library on this one and telling it, it should put all stuff on the harddisk folder. Will this work?

It's organisizing right now and says there's 225 apps, while I got 279 apps on the harddisk.

hirokazu said:
Hmmm, guys, I need help with by boot times. It seems to stall for 10-15 sec immediately after "DSMOS has arrived" before continuing.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Do you have an external hard drive plugged in? Those always stall me for 15 seconds.

Hey guys I need help.

I want to use my MacBook Pro as a wireless access point so I can hop on the internet* on my iPhone. (Internet access comes through the ethernet port.) Well I've figured that out, the only thing is I can't figure out how to password protect it so no one else can get on (I'm in a semi-public building). Oh yeah and if I could change the name so it wasn't Neuro Mancer's MacBook Pro (except with my real name) that'd be great too. Thanks in advance.

*I don't get a good 3G signal in my office.

Neuromancer said:
Hey guys I need help.

I want to use my MacBook Pro as a wireless access point so I can hop on the internet* on my iPhone. (Internet access comes through the ethernet port.) Well I've figured that out, the only thing is I can't figure out how to password protect it so no one else can get on (I'm in a semi-public building). Oh yeah and if I could change the name so it wasn't Neuro Mancer's MacBook Pro (except with my real name) that'd be great too. Thanks in advance.

*I don't get a good 3G signal in my office.
Well, if you've already found the Internet Sharing option on the Sharing pane, just click the AirPort Options in the bottom right and it should let you do that. You may have to turn it off again first though.

cooljeanius said:
Well, if you've already found the Internet Sharing option on the Sharing pane, just click the AirPort Options in the bottom right and it should let you do that. You may have to turn it off again first though.
I was so close! Thanks for the help.

I'm gonna need Mozilla or someone to fix this bigass memory leak in Firefox.

screenshot20101029at343.png

12 tabs open. no flash videos in any of them (such windows have been opened then closed hours ago).

1.2GB? c'mon, son.

Okay. I want a new router. I have $125 credit from the Apple Store since I'm taking the kb/mouse back (got an iMac and it came with them, so no need for these now). Would you recommend the Airport Extreme? I have a DD-WRT Linksys 802.11G Router now, and while the options are nice, I can certainly do without them. I've been holding off on G for a while. Is the Airport Extreme Dual Band worth the high premium? Especially for those with Macs?

Dreams-Visions said:

12 tabs open. no flash videos in any of them (such windows have been opened then closed hours ago).

1.2GB? c'mon, son.

What Activity Monitor App is that?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Dreams-Visions said:

1.2GB? c'mon, son.

Why the hell are you using Firefox?

Top Bottom