• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Pewp

I know barely anything about MacBooks. I'm looking to sell an 07, but I don't know at what price. It's a:

-MacBook 2,1
-Intel Core Duo
-2.16 GHz
-1GB of memory
-120GB Hard Drive
-4MB cache memory with each processor

Any idea of what I should be selling this thing at?

Bowser

So I doubt anyone's actually following my decision, but I ended up ordering an HP Envy 14 with Core i5-580M processor, 6 GB RAM and a 500GB HD for $1000.55 shipped (my decision process was also considerably quickened by discovering a $400 off coupon that expires in an hour or so: NBA179471 in case anyone wants to use it). In the end, while I really liked the MBP/MBA styling, I couldn't justify the premium for comparably worse internals and the HP Envy's looks, while not on par with the beauty of the aluminum unibody Macs, is close enough for me. I think I'll just grab a 2nd gen iPad for my Apple fix :)

LCfiner

Topher said:
Could someone suggest a good defrag program?

you shouldn’t need one.

the only exception is when you want to install a bootcamp partition after you’ve been using a Mac for a while and some big files start messing up the ability to create the windows partition.

and, even then, I’ve heard of hit or miss results with a defragger.

anyway, for normal use in OS X, you do not need a defregger

njean777

Bowser said:
So I doubt anyone's actually following my decision, but I ended up ordering an HP Envy 14 with Core i5-580M processor, 6 GB RAM and a 500GB HD for $1000.55 shipped (my decision process was also considerably quickened by discovering a $400 off coupon that expires in an hour or so: NBA179471 in case anyone wants to use it). In the end, while I really liked the MBP/MBA styling, I couldn't justify the premium for comparably worse internals and the HP Envy's looks, while not on par with the beauty of the aluminum unibody Macs, is close enough for me. I think I'll just grab a 2nd gen iPad for my Apple fix :)

Thats a great deal actually. Maybe you could hackintosh it but it may be hard.

Bowser said:

Envy's are nice. If I was going to use a PC, it would be HP. They make nice looking products, better than any other PC manufacturer in my opinion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
JeffDowns said:
FYI, Office 2011 is just...amazing. Seriously. Pages seriously looks like a joke compared to this. Plus Office is actually affordable which is shocking in itself.
May have to get it. Office is still one of the few reasons I bootup into Windows.

Tr4nce

Yo fellow MACGAF,

I was wondering. Lately my magic mouse is acting weird a lot. The mouse sometimes seems to lag, it even lags the whole OSX, the pointer goes places I didn't even tell it to go to, flicking to another screen randomly, like the spaces, or expose screens. I replaced the batteries, and still it's fucking around. Now, is there anyone who can tell me what's wrong?

I read somewhere that resetting your PRAM can help to get back things to normal again. Is that true? Will resetting my PRAM leave everything intact and the way it was? I don't want to reboot and find that all of my programs are all fucked up or anything. Thanks in advance for the help! The mouse is driving me crazy.

BGBW said:
May have to get it. Office is still one of the few reasons I bootup into Windows.

Yeah, they hype is surprisingly warranted. Pages looks and feels unfinished next to Office. Pages is also extremely unintuitive, but maybe that's because I've been using Word for 20 years or whatever. A definite buy. And Outlook is great too. The only thing iWork perhaps does better than Office is presentations, but that's debatable as well.

Been looking for a YouTube auto-HD extension for Safari for a while with no success. Does anyone know if there's one available? Only have YouTube Wide for the moment.

Blackhead

Redarse
The Main Event said:
Been looking for a YouTube auto-HD extension for Safari for a while with no success. Does anyone know if there's one available? Only have YouTube Wide for the moment.
ClicktoFlash and Youtube5 both let you set the default video quality to load first

White Man

JeffDowns said:
Yeah, they hype is surprisingly warranted. Pages looks and feels unfinished next to Office. Pages is also extremely unintuitive, but maybe that's because I've been using Word for 20 years or whatever. A definite buy. And Outlook is great too. The only thing iWork perhaps does better than Office is presentations, but that's debatable as well.

Mac Office, with the exception of '08, has always been pretty great. Well, not Entourage, but that's dead now.

Firestorm

LCfiner said:
CMD-back arrow key (use fwd arrow key to jump to end of line)
ty

Also, anyone know where I can get a cheap DisplayPort -> DVI or HDMI or VGA cable? Might as well use the monitor I have in front of me for the time my desktop is sitting broken. I need to get around to troubleshooting that.

LCfiner

Firestorm said:
ty

Also, anyone know where I can get a cheap DisplayPort -> DVI or HDMI or VGA cable? Might as well use the monitor I have in front of me for the time my desktop is sitting broken. I need to get around to troubleshooting that.
Monoprice.com

Now and forever

Firestorm

Oh right I don't know why I thought DisplayPort was an Apple thing >.< I know Monoprice stopped carrying most Apple products a while ago.

Anyone here use Glims for Safari? It was working fine a few minutes ago but now search suggestions don't show up. Everything else still works okay.

Nvm. It seems like Google changes shit on their end so often that it screws with the search suggestions from time to time. Glims is not the issue. It's on Googles end. It started working again for me randomly.

spidye

I have a huge file on the macosx and I would like to know if there is a way or program to split huge files into smaller zip files? I want to copy the file on my usb stick and put it on my windows but it's far to big.
I tried some googleing but the programs I found weren't so good.

Echoes

I installed WinXP through Parallels when I got my 'book in 09. Couple of weeks back I thought I didn't wanna use Windows, so here's what I did:

Uninstalled Parallels using CleanMyMac app. Then, used DaisyDisk to tell me where are all my big files. I then manually deleted the image (or whatever it is).

So my question is, what else do I need to do to "finish it" properly?

Jasoco

Banned
Make sure nothing is loading at startup. Use Lingon to check for plist files and such.

Also, DaisyDisk looks like it should be donationware. There's so many free programs that can show you large files on your HD. I prefer GrandPerspective. DD seems to only have pretty animations going for it. They want $20 for that? That's $5 at most!

Ashhong

spidye said:
I have a huge file on the macosx and I would like to know if there is a way or program to split huge files into smaller zip files? I want to copy the file on my usb stick and put it on my windows but it's far to big.
I tried some googleing but the programs I found weren't so good.

Winrar does this on Windows..so I would imagine some kind of RAR program? Have you tried BetterZip? I use it to extract, not sure if it can make archives like winRAR does though.

NYR

How do I turn off your Mac’s startup sound? It seems to go through the speakers even if I have headphones plugged in....

spidye

Ashhong said:
Winrar does this on Windows..so I would imagine some kind of RAR program? Have you tried BetterZip? I use it to extract, not sure if it can make archives like winRAR does though.
thanks. that was a good advice. I googled and found rarmachine. it split the files into multiple rar files.

Does anyone know why iTunes wouldn't update a file correctly? I changed the file type for shows I ripped to TV Shows in iTunes but when I go to get info it says Music. When I go to Front Row it says unnamed album, etc. instead of just acting like a normal TV Show. Any reason why when I select the drop down menu and choose TV Show it still thinks the file is Music and shows up under TV Shows on Front Row but has all the stats of a music album rather than TV Show data.

ngower

I had some stuttering with my iTunes earlier today. I only had around 5GB left on my HDD so I deleted some (legal) DVD backups and freed up about 45GB and things are going swell now. I have a nearly brand new MBP 15" (got it this past summer) so my only assumption was that the computer was scurred. Doesn't make sense though considering my CPU/RAM were barely being used. Anyone hear of any issues with audio skipping/stuttering?

Jasoco

Banned
Did anyone else have a problem with the iPhoto '11 update? I updated the other day and it broke iPhoto to the point it would not launch anymore. So I reverted back to the old one from my Time Machine and it is back to normal. But now Software Update is telling me about it again but I'm afraid to update again. Not that it would be a big problem to get the old one back again. Still. I can't do this forever.

grkazan12

Hey can anyone help me with this problem I have on Justin TV. I'm getting good audio from the Giantbomb streams, but the problem is that I'm getting choppy and stuttering video while watching their streams. I'm on Snow Leopard and Macbook Pro 13' 2009 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
grkazan12 said:
Hey can anyone help me with this problem I have on Justin TV. I'm getting good audio from the Giantbomb streams, but the problem is that I'm getting choppy and stuttering video while watching their streams. I'm on Snow Leopard and Macbook Pro 13' 2009 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try another browser.

Echoes

Jasoco said:
Make sure nothing is loading at startup. Use Lingon to check for plist files and such.

Also, DaisyDisk looks like it should be donationware. There's so many free programs that can show you large files on your HD. I prefer GrandPerspective. DD seems to only have pretty animations going for it. They want $20 for that? That's $5 at most!
That's great, thanks for the help.

I'm wondering about a thing now. I have a 13" Unibody MacBook. I'm so in love with the new Air and might get it next month (13" as well). It would be a very nice upgrade, considering I'll be getting the maxed-13 (my current MB has a 4GB RAM and 160GB HDD). The resolution would be much better as well.

Now, this could be a silly question (since -I guess?- the Air > my current book), but it should do everything I used to do normally/better, right? I'm a podcaster, would that affect my workflow in anyway? Again: I'm just reassuring myself, since this is a huge purchase for me.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Echoes said:
Now, this could be a silly question (since -I guess?- the Air > my current book), but it should do everything I used to do normally/better, right? I'm a podcaster, would that affect my workflow in anyway? Again: I'm just reassuring myself, since this is a huge purchase for me.
Every Air has two USB 2.0 ports, so if you're using a DAW, you're covered. The built-in microphone is so-so, you should probably use proper hardware, which you surely have. The rest is in the specs. http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html

hirokazu

Firestorm said:
i love you
You can also unplug your headphones, mute the sound then plug them back in, LOL.

OS X maintains two different volume levels for speakers and headphones, and the startup sound is whatever the speaker volume is last set to.

hirokazu

Jasoco said:
Did anyone else have a problem with the iPhoto '11 update? I updated the other day and it broke iPhoto to the point it would not launch anymore. So I reverted back to the old one from my Time Machine and it is back to normal. But now Software Update is telling me about it again but I'm afraid to update again. Not that it would be a big problem to get the old one back again. Still. I can't do this forever.
Yeah, the previous iPhoto update was 9.0.1, it was primarily meant to fix library import issues. Today's 9.1 is a bigger update. Should be fine, just do another backup before installing.

Echoes

Yeah, I use Audio-Technica AT2020 USB mic. Gruber (to name one person) didn't think of the Air as much for editing and stuff, but now I'm assuming he means heavy audio/video editing (think 5by5.tv) and not the regular use.

Thanks for the tip, I hope I could get it next month.

By the way, I was just browsing the MBP page and I'm glad to say there's not one thing in it I prefer over the Air. I was a bit worried with the price difference being too close, but damn, the Air is really something.

njean777

Echoes said:
Yeah, I use Audio-Technica AT2020 USB mic. Gruber (to name one person) didn't think of the Air as much for editing and stuff, but now I'm assuming he means heavy audio/video editing (think 5by5.tv) and not the regular use.

Thanks for the tip, I hope I could get it next month.

By the way, I was just browsing the MBP page and I'm glad to say there's not one thing in it I prefer over the Air. I was a bit worried with the price difference being too close, but damn, the Air is really something.

the only reason to get the mbp over the 13in air with 4gb ram would be for the disc drive and if you use it firewire, but other then that if you do not need those the i would get the air. Only reason to get the mbp until they update the 13in is if you get a 15in or bigger.

grkazan12

grkazan12 said:

I tried Firefox,Chrome, and Safari and they all gave me the same results. I reinstalled Flash, everything is updated, even restarted and shutdown my mac and I'm still getting the same results.

Pyrokai

Anybody here have an iMac and use external speakers? If so, what's your experience been like? I'd like something a little better for sound than the internal speakers, especially when gaming or listening to music.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
grkazan12 said:
I tried Firefox,Chrome, and Safari and they all gave me the same results. I reinstalled Flash, everything is updated, even restarted and shutdown my mac and I'm still getting the same results.
I have the same problem, it's something with justin.tv is my guess. Or something with Flash on Mac because I occasionally have it with YT videos as well. Switching browsers helped once, that's all I got.

mollipen

Pyrokai said:
Anybody here have an iMac and use external speakers? If so, what's your experience been like? I'd like something a little better for sound than the internal speakers, especially when gaming or listening to music.

My experience has been... external speakers are better. I guess, I mean, what exactly are you wondering? Unless you cheap out, I'm guessing almost any set of external speakers is going to be much improved over the internal ones.

shidoshi said:
My experience has been... external speakers are better. I guess, I mean, what exactly are you wondering? Unless you cheap out, I'm guessing almost any set of external speakers is going to be much improved over the internal ones.
QFT.

External speakers are a million times better than the tin cans that come with the iMac. I'd never be able to listen to those things for any lengthy amount of time. The difference is truly night and day.

Browsers are a bitch sometimes, there's no one that is perfect :(

I've almost had enough of Safari's beachballs, but it intergrates so amazingly with the OS. I like Chrome but it's randomness and data privacy issues worry me, Firefox is just uuuuuuuuuurgh for me now

I might run with SVRWare Iron/Chromium and a nightly Safari webkit as I hear it cuts down on beachballs. What's our resident Web Developer Liu Kang/Gruber got to say about this?

Top Bottom