• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
yep. I'm just glad the memory leak issue has been addressed.

at one point, HyperDock was eating 600MB of memory before restarting that app. lol

I've yet to explore beyond HyperDock's default settings. anyone have any recommendations?
I remember you complaining about that, but I never had it happen. I dunno. The only bug I had was that it would "die" occasionally rendering it moot since it wasn't doing its job, but was still loaded.

Also, I like the new grid layout since it will now stack the tiles instead of showing them all in a row if you have too many open windows. I also like to blur the background like the Dock's own stacks do. (Wish DragThing and GeekTool had the same blur options. It adds a nice feel to the UI.)

Other than that, there's not much to change.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Having an issue with Growl - whenever I do anything (connect to a network drive, close screen sharing, open the mac from sleep) I get about 30 notifications pop up all over the screen. It even pops up showing me network printers discovered at work, which it never used to do. I went into Growl control panel and tried to find an entry where I could chnage the settings (ie. one for Finder) but there's nothing there, and no other options that I can see... Anyone had this issue? Generally I only like it to pop up when a torrent finishes on my media center at home, and if I get new mail, etc. Not every time i blink!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
K probably a niche question, but does anyone know of any good POS software for OS X, namely for the service/restaurant industry? Touch based would be a plus, too, as would trials, obviously.

screenshot20101112at312.png

wat. something in here is higher than it should ever be. lol

that's just 12 tabs...and only 3 or 4 being used. zero flash videos all day.

edit: AND it's with flash block engaged!

Blackhead

Redarse
julls said:
Having an issue with Growl - whenever I do anything (connect to a network drive, close screen sharing, open the mac from sleep) I get about 30 notifications pop up all over the screen. It even pops up showing me network printers discovered at work, which it never used to do. I went into Growl control panel and tried to find an entry where I could chnage the settings (ie. one for Finder) but there's nothing there, and no other options that I can see... Anyone had this issue? Generally I only like it to pop up when a torrent finishes on my media center at home, and if I get new mail, etc. Not every time i blink!
It's HardwareGrowler giving you those notifications. You can turn it off in the System Preferences app:

vpxco.png

Jasoco

Banned
I love HardwareGrowler. I would suggest keeping it. It is bvery useful for telling me when my drives are finished disconnecting. It tells me when Chrome has installed a new version before Chrome tells me (When it mounts the DMG and unmounts it.). It tells me when my Airport connection goes out, when a wifi network has finished connecting. When my IP has changed (Related to connecting to those wifi networks.) so I don't have to keep trying to reload a page to see if it's connected. HardwareGrowler is so amazingly simple and wonderful.

Here's a tip. Change it to the "Nano" style. It will make the notifications so teeny tiny in the top right corner you notice them, but they're not in your face. DO IT! NOW!

Ulairi

Banned
Is there a keyboard command to move files to the trash can? Right now, I'm ctrl+clicking the item to bring up the drop menu and that's frustrating.

Jasoco

Banned
VNZ said:
CMD+Backspace
Also, when in the Finder, Command+Shift+Backspace empties the trash. These two commands are amazingly convenient.

Remember, if you can't think of a key combo, look in the menus. It'll be listed there. And I believe there's a list of them all on Apple's Support pages somewhere.

Do you mac folks have an image viewer you like? I think Preview is nice but it doesn't let you browse other images in the same folder unless you highlight the images prior to opening them.

Chris R

Wish the mac software store was up and running already. I could use a copy of iLife 11 right about now but instead I must wait until tomorrow to go out and buy it :<

Tieno

Solideliquid said:
Do you mac folks have an image viewer you like? I think Preview is nice but it doesn't let you browse other images in the same folder unless you highlight the images prior to opening them.
space bar --> quick look. Don't think there's anything faster out there.

quicklook_gallery08_20071016.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Solideliquid said:
Just Looking. I don't use it often anymore to be honest.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
I use Just Looking for animated GIF's since nothing else except a browser will view them correctly.
That's the reason I used it too but there is a gif quicklook plugin and, as Tieno said, there is nothing faster out there (and with other great plugins besides). Now if Just Looking could be used to store and catalog, like an iPhoto for gifs, I would use it a lot more often. My desktop is littered with neogaf gifs (lots of duplicates there too) and i mass delete them, in despair, every few months.

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
That's the reason I used it too but there is a gif quicklook plugin and, as Tieno said, there is nothing faster out there (and with other great plugins besides). Now if Just Looking could be used to store and catalog, like an iPhoto for gifs, I would use it a lot more often. My desktop is littered with neogaf gifs (lots of duplicates there too) and i mass delete them, in despair, every few months.
I have both. I use Just Looking for when I want to view the image at normal speed instead of what WebKit runs it at. Also, the QuickLook plugin has a bug where it won't work on images with certain characters (Like an apostrophe) in their path. Instead you get a blue missing image ?.

Solideliquid said:
Picasa

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Charred Greyface said:
It's HardwareGrowler giving you those notifications. You can turn it off in the System Preferences app:
Thanks, can't see it in the list though? Maybe I'll install it and see if I can get some control back :lol

So I just upgraded and moved my files over using the time machine but now my recovered files folder in my dock is missing (all that's there is a question mark). How can I get this folder back and get rid of the question mark.

Thanks in advance.

Mobius 1

Solideliquid said:

Xee

notworksafe

So I just ripped a ton of FFXI soundtrack CDs to my iTunes library. I don't want them to play when I am listening to music normally or copy to my iPhone, so I unchecked them.

However that also unchecks them in playlists in which I have the songs, so they will just get skipped. Is there a way to get songs to play only when I am playing them from a playlist without having to check them? I'm guessing not, but I figured I'd ask.

Sean

Banned
notworksafe said:
So I just ripped a ton of FFXI soundtrack CDs to my iTunes library. I don't want them to play when I am listening to music normally or copy to my iPhone, so I unchecked them.

However that also unchecks them in playlists in which I have the songs, so they will just get skipped. Is there a way to get songs to play only when I am playing them from a playlist without having to check them? I'm guessing not, but I figured I'd ask.

Don't think that's possible but you can kind of work around it. Edit the ID3 tags on your FFXI songs and add something like "@Skip" to the comments field. Then make a smart playlist that includes all of your music EXCEPT for things labelled @Skip.

It'll skip em from that smart playlist (since they'd be filtered out) but they should play in all your others. That's probably the best way.

Sorry for the image quality, but anyone any idea what is happening to my imac(late 2009) screen.
I've heard of yellowing issues but not this.
Itslike a mini shadow screen defect of some type.

No i haven't ever dropped the screen. Nope its never had anything spilt on it, nor been in a too hot, cold or humid environment.

I have 3yr Apple care, but was curious as to what it was

EDIT, let me redo the pics

to the left of the highlighted part
6704ky.jpg

wvzexx.jpg

this one you can see behind the tony parker if you look properly
f27uat.jpg

That's just LCD burn-in. Do you use a screen saver or have the exact same window open all the time in that spot? It took a few months for it to go away on my old computer, and my damn TV has it right now near the top.

Change that Dropbox icon!

Apple Care that bitch.

also, I've never heard of LCD burn-in. is that real, Liu Kang? I thought that only happened to Plasma. It's never happened on any of my monitors or laptops and I've had a few of them.

Doytch

Dreams-Visions said:
Apple Care that bitch.

also, I've never heard of LCD burn-in. is that real, Liu Kang? I thought that only happened to Plasma. It's never happened on any of my monitors or laptops and I've had a few of them.
Are you talking about permanent burn-in or just temporary image retention? It temporarily happened to a VA (if it matters...) LCD of mine. I left a window in one spot for the longest time (like, a week), and I could see the edge of the window even after minimizing. I ran one of those Java random pixel applets and it went away.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That's just LCD burn-in. Do you use a screen saver or have the exact same window open all the time in that spot? It took a few months for it to go away on my old computer, and my damn TV has it right now near the top.

Change that Dropbox icon!

yeah i'm currently developing some applications, ones a task manager and ones a document management system, so i have the same window open pretty much all the time as i code and review.

Dang that burn in though, if it is that!!!

Doytch said:
Are you talking about permanent burn-in or just temporary image retention? It temporarily happened to a VA (if it matters...) LCD of mine. I left a window in one spot for the longest time (like, a week), and I could see the edge of the window even after minimizing. I ran one of those Java random pixel applets and it went away.
interesting. I never knew that could happen. then again, all of my displays go to sleep after 20 or 30 minutes, so I'll never find out.

Dreams-Visions said:
Apple Care that bitch.

Yup. CRTs can too. My beautiful 1080i Toshiba Rear Projection CRT at home three years ago gained some lovely bars on each side of the screen where the phosphors aren't as worn out from boxed 4:3 TV content.

just figured it seems to be where one window overlaps another, if you use cinch and use half a screen per window.
its exactly online and in the shape of the shadow you get from the active window over the inactive window.

also yeah i have display off whenever i leave my home office desk, and its set to 1hr failing me turning it off

mollipen

DefectiveReject said:
yeah i'm currently developing some applications, ones a task manager and ones a document management system, so i have the same window open pretty much all the time as i code and review.

Dang that burn in though, if it is that!!!

Do you leave your computer on all of the time? My iMac (24" C2D model) is utterly terrible about getting burn-in if I leave it on for long periods of time. The problem, from what I understand it, is that the computer components are so close to the LCD that the heat can cause the LCD to not refresh properly. Even running smcFanControl, I'll still get it if the room is warm enough, or if I have the same thing up for long periods of time.

That's part of the reason I ended up getting into the habit of just shutting my iMac down every night instead of putting it to sleep. Cooling off overnight gets rid of any burn-in I had.

shidoshi said:
Do you leave your computer on all of the time? My iMac (24" C2D model) is utterly terrible about getting burn-in if I leave it on for long periods of time. The problem, from what I understand it, is that the computer components are so close to the LCD that the heat can cause the LCD to not refresh properly. Even running smcFanControl, I'll still get it if the room is warm enough, or if I have the same thing up for long periods of time.

That's part of the reason I ended up getting into the habit of just shutting my iMac down every night instead of putting it to sleep. Cooling off overnight gets rid of any burn-in I had.
Yeah it's always on but asleep if not in use.
Shut it down now see if it goes.
Cheers guys

Jasoco

Banned
I don't really see the big deal with uptime. I shut mine off once in a while, or just close it, but I have no qualms about rebooting anymore since I removed my Uptime script from GeekTool. I discovered that I was getting addicted to something so stupid. Uptime? Who cares if your computer has been running for 365 days straight. They reboot so fast these days it's not that inconvenient to shut it down at night and reboot it the next day before you go to use the bathroom. It'll be up and running by the time you wash your hands.

jts

...hate me...
I used to secondary click on System Preferences on the dock and it would show me a list of shortcuts to whatever items are available on SP.

Now it only shows me the regular "Open" and "Options>". Is this a 10.6.5 thing or...?

mollipen

jts said:
I used to secondary click on System Preferences on the dock and it would show me a list of shortcuts to whatever items are available on SP.

Now it only shows me the regular "Open" and "Options>". Is this a 10.6.5 thing or...?

I'm running 10.6.5, and I just tried and I get the full list of available System Prefs.

Sean

Banned
mrklaw said:
why and to what? (oh and how)

In Dropbox preferences (click the menu item) you can set a black and white menu bar icon, so it'll match with all the default OS X menubar items. It looks a lot nicer.

I'm not sure why that isn't the default preference, but there you go.

hirokazu

jts said:

System Preferences has to be running for the context-based options to appear.

Gav

Hopefully get an answer to this quickly!

Im working on a paper in Pages and need to have some sheets portrait and some landscape... but i cant find out how to do this.
I can easily get the whole document in landscape, but i just want certain pages to be rotated.

Any ideas?

Cheers

sonicfan

Venerable Member
After avoiding Apple products forever, I finally broke down and bought one, I got an iMac after another PC started biting the dust, I've never even owned a iPod for myself. I know its just a hard drive issue with the PC, but I've had so many issues with PCs over the years, I've broken down and rebuilt almost everyone I've ever owned, had multiple OSes on a couple, (loved my BeOS setup), I had Vista 64 bit home premium on our latest PC, and after trying to recover it from a second new hard drive that I put Windows XP on, I just finally said to hell with it....... For me and my wife, we just surf, use email, do an occasional spreadsheet, store pictures, etc., nothing fancy....it will be so much easier, she can figure things out for her self now. I live less than a mile from an Apple store, which makes it nice too.

I must say after playing around with it for about a week, I just feel like I have a Linux/Unix machine, the way it should be done........which I suppose it basically is.....

Pyrokai

Super noob question, but I've never really been able to find a good method of capturing screens on OS X. What do you guys use to capture your screen? Grab, imo, kinda sucks and is cumbersome to use. I also know the keyboard shortcut (Cmd+Shift+3). But what's the best way to get a window captured? A loooong time ago I had an app that would take pictures and upload them to the Internet automatically for easy sharing. The way I do it now is upload them to Photobucket. Slow process.

Another question: Where can I find a tutorial for Automator? I've never used it but I know a lot of people love it. I don't even know entirely what it does, to be honest.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
CMD-Shift-4

Space over the window you want a shot of, when highlighted click.

QuickShareIt's my quick-and-dirty host of choice. Drag to dock icon (I still weep that Snow Leopard broke proxy commands in Quicksilver, and thus my "upload to QSI" hot command), wait for it to upload, once it's done it'll automatically put the link in your clipboard so you can CMD-V away.

Top Bottom