• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

CRS

blizeH said:
Installed Firefox onto my gf's laptop, but it shows up like some kind of weird virtual drive thing? I mean it works, but it works really oddly... what am I doing wrong? :S Thanks

By install, did you just mount the .dmg and open the application? Drag the application from the disc image into your Applications folder. You can unmount it and delete the .dmg if you want.

blizeH said:
Installed Firefox onto my gf's laptop, but it shows up like some kind of weird virtual drive thing? I mean it works, but it works really oddly... what am I doing wrong? :S Thanks

Firefox should have a guided process to drop the app into your app folder. Ensure Firefox is not open, then double click on the .dmg, then you see the Firefox icon with an arrow pointing to an app folder, just drag and drop...

Blackhead

Redarse
The Australia Apple online store has the Black Friday deals up and it's 10% on everything, including iPads! Slightly better than I expected.

the 10.6.5 update still won't install, fails while writing files :(

done everything i know of at this point, fixed permissions, ran onyx, even downloaded the larger 10.6.5 combo update, still nada

I have the mac firewall enabled, being OCD about what is allowed internet access. But for some reason, it asks me to allow itunes every time I start it - i have allowed it in the preferences, so what's the deal? Is there a fix? Better alternatives?

AcciDante

Can someone point me towards where to look for buying a battery for my MBP? It's the silver model before the unibody ones came out. The battery I have turned into a swollen monstrosity.

AcciDante said:
Can someone point me towards where to look for buying a battery for my MBP? It's the silver model before the unibody ones came out. The battery I have turned into a swollen monstrosity.

Bring it into an apple store. It's a known problem, may be covered. Just let them know and it'll be very fast. Make sure to make a genius bar appointment, nothing worse than forgetting that and having to wait.

AcciDante

HenryGale said:
Bring it into an apple store. It's a known problem, may be covered. Just let them know and it'll be very fast. Make sure to make a genius bar appointment, nothing worse than forgetting that and having to wait.
Unfortunately I think the battery I have is already a third party battery. The laptop was a gift from a family friend and I think they replaced it. I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure it isn't apple's.

linkboy

Mr. Wonderful said:
Does any external DVD drive work on a Mac, or does it have to be compatible in some certain way?

My internal DVD burner on my MBP is taking a shit (Superdrive isn't so super) and I use a regular Sony USB DVD burner and it works perfectly fine (much better then my not so super Superdrive).

AcciDante said:
Unfortunately I think the battery I have is already a third party battery. The laptop was a gift from a family friend and I think they replaced it. I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure it isn't apple's.

Too bad, if it is could be free. If not then the link the other guy posted is your best bet.

Gaaraz

Speaking of webcams, quick question - on Skype, the blue 'video' button in the top right is greyed out and won't work at all. It was always fine for ages but suddenly it won't work... the webcam works fine in photobooth though! :/

Jasoco

Banned
I'm still a little confused as to how many kinds of RAM there are, but I want to know, would RAM from a 2010 MacBook Pro work in a 2010 Mac mini? I know it would work in a normal MacBook from 2007 which leads me to believe it's pretty standard affair, but I don't know what kind of RAM sticks a mini would use. I have 4GB I took out of my Pro and want to put them to good use, and will probably be buying a Mac mini in the next few months for use as a media/backup center. (To replace the 2007 MB I have that is pretty much gone.)

Jasoco

Banned
MCX said:
Sweeeeeeeeet....
OMW40.gif

Now to just save up a little more and have my dream Plex/Nine-based media center. :D

I assume buying from Amazon (And saving almost $80) is a good idea?

will be upgrading to 8gb of ram in my late 09 mbp when it arrives from newegg, black friday sale for $90 shipped :)

the 10.6.5 update would never install and my mac started acting really odd, programs not opening, shutting down, everything locking up. Finally i checked permissions and their was a long list of permissions that couldnt be fixed, so I just reinstalled mac os over the current partition and updated to 10.6.5, runs like new

twofold

Is there any way to lower the brightness on the Macbook Pro beyond the default lowest setting? I'm finding that the lowest setting is still too bright for use in the dark.

twofold said:
Is there any way to lower the brightness on the Macbook Pro beyond the default lowest setting? I'm finding that the lowest setting is still too bright for use in the dark.
Hold option+shift while adjusting the brightness. This works for adjusting the volume, too.

twofold

cooljeanius said:
Hold option+shift while adjusting the brightness. This works for adjusting the volume, too.

Yeah, I tried that but, annoyingly, it doesn't do anything when you go lower than 1 bar.

Killthee said:
Or use something that turns everything monochrome like Nocturne.

Awesome. It'll take some getting used to, but that's much easier on the eyes. Cheers, bud.

Jasoco

Banned
lunarworks said:
Apple normally doesn't give a damn about what you put in your Mac once you get it, so there must be more to it than we know.
Yeah, this one surprised me. I wonder why they did that, and from what it sounds like they just asked nicely instead of throwing out a cease and desist. I would hope they have their own replacement plan in mind if they're gonna do that. Of course then it would cost more for the Apple Tax and you probably wouldn't get the useful USB case.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I have a problem on iTunes. Since a few weeks some podcasts just stopped to show their covers on the library. Even if they appear with their respective art on their page, they just don't show up. I have tried to unsuscribe, delete the files and then start over, but the problem remains. What could be the problem here?

Firestorm

Firefox hangs for me a LOT. It won't crash, but rainbow wheel constantly as I try to do things. It's driving me nuts but I don't want to switch browsers =/ Any fix? I've already deleted the plist file and I think it temporarily fixed it, but it's an issue again and I can't find the file this time =[

LCfiner

Firestorm said:
Firefox hangs for me a LOT. It won't crash, but rainbow wheel constantly as I try to do things. It's driving me nuts but I don't want to switch browsers =/ Any fix? I've already deleted the plist file and I think it temporarily fixed it, but it's an issue again and I can't find the file this time =[

plist file would be in your users/firestorm/library/preferences folder.

firefox is generally kinda janky on the Mac. give chrome a shot.

or camino, if you value gif performance

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
lbcyalater said:
Mac noob here...I was thinking of buying more ram for my imac #1 how do I know which kind of ram works and #2 is it really worth it?

Define "it".

lbcyalater said:
sorry, am I really gonna notice a speed difference in loading apps and photoshop and what not
possibly.

how much ram do you have now?

LCfiner said:

the new Firefox Beta is generally excellent. Definitely recommended if you want to use Firefox on OSX.

But my attention right now is on the new Opera Beta. It's exceptional. has none of the memory problems that Safari/Firefox/Chrome have. all while being generally as fast or faster. I'm really sold on Opera right now, though all bets are off when that new Firefox goes final

lbcyalater said:
I doubt that an upgrade will help you much.

I think the most impactful upgrade you could make at this point without changing computers would be to install an SSD drive. those things will change your life, man.

Dreams-Visions said:
I doubt that an upgrade will help you much.

I think the most impactful upgrade you could make at this point without changing computers would be to install an SSD drive. those things will change your life, man.
Explain O_0

Firestorm

Hm, yeah, I'm really hoping not to have to change browsers =( Although for some reason Firefox isn't letting me into my school login system either (only a problem for me... my friends can do it on Firefox fine and it works on Safari for me...).

I also asked for help with Flash earlier but it seems the fixes were only for other browsers. Any way to make it suck less on Firefox or am I screwed there too? Tired of videos stuttering =[

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
lbcyalater said:
Explain O_0

Solid State Hard drives. Insanely fast read speeds, so moving data around, is leagues faster than even the fastest platter hard disks.

Biggest noticeable-to-end-user upgrade almost anyone with a relatively modern machine can make.

Jasoco

Banned
LCfiner said:

GIF's work like buttah in the latest Dev build of Chrome. 9.0. Like BUTTAH.

mrkgoo said:
lbcyalater said:
Explain O_0
Biggest bottleneck in modern computers, in my opinion is the HD speed. I got a pretty good performance boost from using seagate's hybrid ssd/hd.
HDD's need to transfer the bits and bytes from the platters to the heads then throw them at the computer. While SSD can just grab the bits and bytes from memory storage lockers instantly. It's really nice and I really want a SSD, but the prices for even a 128 are majorly high. Relatively. Still, if you want speed, SSD is the way to go. If you want storage, you'll need to stick to HDD, or if you don't care about your optical drive being internal, get one of these bad boys:
http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/
Comes with an external case so you can keep your optical SuperDrive. Also, it, and its competitor, only work with 9mm drives. Which sucks because the drive I need (1.5TB) is 12mm. Still, there's some options!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'd love to put a SSD drive in my iMac... but I saw that video, I'm not doing it myself.

Jasoco

Banned
VOOK said:
I'd love to put a SSD drive in my iMac... but I saw that video, I'm not doing it myself.
Interesting because it's much easier in a MBP.

I would love to buy a SSD. But even 128GB is $300. Does anyone think the prices might drop a bit in 2011? What's taking so long? What's everyone's experience (Who has a MBP) with SSD over their old HDD?

Jasoco said:
I would love to buy a SSD. But even 128GB is $300.
That much money for that little storage? I'd love an SSD, too, but I'm not getting one until I can get one that's twice my current hard drive's size (which is 256GB) for a third of that price.

Top Bottom