• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hey guys, ever hear about iMac screens (the glass) cracking or buckling due to heat?

Jasoco

Banned
iPhoto question.

My girlfriend and I broke up, but I don't want to just delete all my pictures of her. I was wondering what the most optimal way to split my iPhoto library in two would be? Or should I just drag them all to the desktop, pop them in a folder and file them away?

I was thinking I would duplicate the library bundle and remove her stuff from one and the other stuff from the other. But this seems silly.

Ideas?

jts said:
No. Well, there was a 2.53GHz 2008 MBP, which is more powerful than the current 2.4GHz Mac mini, but just barely. That can't possibly be the reason.

Also, I own a 2.0GHz (9400M) Mac mini on a similar setup (32 incher too) and it plays everything just fine.

Something's very wrong there. Are you playing your videos locally or from a network? What application are you using and did you test that on any other ones?

edit: while on the HTPC subject, I always have to remote into my Mac mini upon a fresh boot because the mouse cursor location doesn't let PLEX go into full screen, it keeps showing the topbar and the dock. I just have to move the mouse cursor a few pixels downwards and click anywhere on PLEX. Any automatic solution for this?
Played both via HDMI Straight into VLC. The mac mini seemed to suddenly speed things up them slow it down over a course of time.

I can't explain it, it seemed to randomly yoyo. Mind you this MM was straight outta the box and my MBP has Perian installed and that's about it

ngower

Brosephers, I was thinking of doing a clean install and migrating my data. The Apple Store did this for me once when I had some issues from doing a copy of the Time Machine from my old Macbook to my iMac, and I think I'm running into similar issues with my iMac to a MacBook Pro. Settings and ish seem to be stuck in old iMac things and gives me far too many spinning wheels. Can anyone halp?

just got a 13inch macbook pro, what's the best way to handle battery life so it isn't terrible after a few months?

also, when I charge the macbook, when it reaches green do I need to unplug it? so it doesn't drain the battery, a lot of electronics have their battery drained when plugged in while full

Ken Masters said:
just got a 13inch macbook pro, what's the best way to handle battery life so it isn't terrible after a few months?

also, when I charge the macbook, when it reaches green do I need to unplug it? so it doesn't drain the battery, a lot of electronics have their battery drained when plugged in while full
It isn't 2003, dude.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ken Masters said:
and that answers nothing, this is my first laptop

I would answer but my battery's about to die since I'm discharging it completely as I do every time I use it.

VOOK said:
Hey guys, ever hear about iMac screens (the glass) cracking or buckling due to heat?
No, it's not a known issue and not anything you should worry about. I'd almost say it's impossible. if you are hearing things like that, the person more likely broke the display and is making up stories.

Jasoco said:
I was thinking I would duplicate the library bundle and remove her stuff from one and the other stuff from the other. But this seems silly.
This is your best option and it would be easy

ngower said:
Brosephers, I was thinking of doing a clean install and migrating my data. The Apple Store did this for me once when I had some issues from doing a copy of the Time Machine from my old Macbook to my iMac, and I think I'm running into similar issues with my iMac to a MacBook Pro. Settings and ish seem to be stuck in old iMac things and gives me far too many spinning wheels. Can anyone halp?
when migrating, uncheck "settings" and anything that isn't user content. you could price-meal you data off or even ditto/chown with terminal, but honestly you probably don't need to. an achieve install is pretty easy but this sounds like it's a user issue and not a root issue.

also, always verify your disks and search for "i/o" in console "(spotlight -> console) to rule out dying hard drive.

Ken Masters said:

use your MacBook however you want. I'd say only discharge it if you haven't unplugged it in a month to let the battery get exercise. should last you 2-3 years easily unless your go through a lot of cycles. adding up all the battery life you used unplugged, every 100% is 1 cycle. and if you are worried, def read that article posted above. its a good article with no marketing.

ericexpo

going back to topic of the SSD and HDD install

I replaced my super drive with a my hard drive and have the SSD as the bootable drive. Can I turn off or eject the hard drive when not in use? all it has on it is movies and i don't want it to run all the time.

ericexpo said:
going back to topic of the SSD and HDD install

I replaced my super drive with a my hard drive and have the SSD as the bootable drive. Can I turn off or eject the hard drive when not in use? all it has on it is movies and i don't want it to run all the time.
I eject mine sometimes, but don't know if it really gives me any extra battery life.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
iPhoto question.

My girlfriend and I broke up, but I don't want to just delete all my pictures of her. I was wondering what the most optimal way to split my iPhoto library in two would be? Or should I just drag them all to the desktop, pop them in a folder and file them away?

Ideas?
http://www.iphotolibrarymanager.com/ ?

Ashhong

Ken Masters said:
when you say discharge it fully, do you mean use the battery till it's dead?

Yes. And then you let it charge completely and then some. It's in Apples support link that was linked above.

MCX

Banned
A Mac's battery won't completely die, will it? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Mine will go into hibernation at ~5% remaining battery life.

Furoba

lol tried 3 hours to fix an "error 36" message in finder with a new HDD.
Nothing worked, until I tried using another USB cable (other than the one supplied in the package). Now it works, but it makes me want to smash my head against the wall because the solution was so easy... :(

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Quote said:
No, it's not a known issue and not anything you should worry about. I'd almost say it's impossible. if you are hearing things like that, the person more likely broke the display and is making up stories.

Well It happened to mine, I just don't want them pulling the whole 'you did it shit'.

Neil

So, I have a question.

I want to be able to play Region 1, 2 & 3 DVD's on my MacBook... How do I do this?
On my old windows Laptop, VLC Media Player would just play anything no questions asked. Not so simple with mac...

Now, I can change region another 3 times before it becomes locked. After doing a bit of googling, I found an application called 'Region X' which lets you change the default region and the number of times you can change regions legit, again and again. However, this only works if your DVD drive is RPC-1? I'm RPC-2 :/

Vendor: HL-DT-ST
Model: DVDRW GS21N
Firmware: SA18
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is SET
4 vendor resets left
3 region changes left
Region 2

Is there anything I can do?

Ok, I need GAF help: After having my desktop computer die five times this year, and having my zune stop talking to both my desktop and laptop I have decided to migrate to Mac. The Apple store guys are total douchebags in my town and are therefore no help.

I would like to set up a system something along the lines of this:

Mac mini as a home computer, good laptop to carry with me everywhere, and an Apple TV to stream media to my tv/stereo.

How does the mac mini stack up against pcs? How much RAM would you suggest? Macs seem to be spec'ed with less Ram than current PC's. Is there a reason for this? I don't use computers for games, but do like to keep a bunch of windows open and be able to handle media encoding and HD playback. DO I need to buy a new keyboard and mouse?

For my laptop, I want something really portable, but need space for my 150GB music collection. What are the major differences between the Macbook and Macbook pro?

When is the next make OS revision coming out? With current gen machines be able to rreally handle it or would this year be a bad year to invest in hardware? How long does Apple really support their machines? Can I realistically get five years of use out of them?

Any reason why I shouldn't encode everything in Apple Lossless?

Can I store all of my media exclusively on a time capsule and use that as a media server to my laptop, mini, and apple tv?

I know it's alot of questions, but I am totally lost when looking at Apple stuff. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to help. :)

Jasoco

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Ok, I need GAF help: After having my desktop computer die five times this year, and having my zune stop talking to both my desktop and laptop I have decided to migrate to Mac. The Apple store guys are total douchebags in my town and are therefore no help.
Yeah, I prefer to go to my hometown Apple authorized retailer. Much nicer there. Less douchey.

Mac mini as a home computer, good laptop to carry with me everywhere, and an Apple TV to stream media to my tv/stereo.
Niiice. Personally I'll keep the laptop for my main computer and use the AppleTV with Plex/Nine for media viewing on my TV. But that's not for everyone. The AppleTV will be great as long as all your media is compatible.

How does the mac mini stack up against pcs? How much RAM would you suggest? Macs seem to be spec'ed with less Ram than current PC's. Is there a reason for this? I don't use computers for games, but do like to keep a bunch of windows open and be able to handle media encoding and HD playback. DO I need to buy a new keyboard and mouse?
Will you be trying to play super awesome games that require high end video cards? No? Mini will be fine. Get as much RAM as possible. Buy the base model and get RAM cheap elsewhere. It's super easy to replace in the mini. And as long as your KB and Mouse are USB, you do not need to buy new ones. Nor a new monitor if you already have one. (Maybe an adapter depending on what you have now.)

For my laptop, I want something really portable, but need space for my 150GB music collection. What are the major differences between the Macbook and Macbook pro?
Get a Pro. If you don't mind 15" get the 15" to get the i5. Else get the 13". I don't mind it. The drive can be upgraded by you as well if their base model is too small. The real difference between the white MB and the aluminum Pro 13" is backlit keyboard, video card and other base specs. Also it's plastic, but it's a nice unibody plastic. Nothing wrong with it at all.

When is the next make OS revision coming out? With current gen machines be able to rreally handle it or would this year be a bad year to invest in hardware? How long does Apple really support their machines? Can I realistically get five years of use out of them?
Lion is expected in Summer. And NO, anything you buy now will run it fine. Don't listen to FUD. And I know plenty of people still using PowerPC. You can get however much time out of a machine as you want as long as the hardware lasts. But always get AppleCare. You'll get 3 years no-trouble support.

Uh, it's a waste of time unless you're an audiophile with an amazing sound system. I personally don't notice a difference between a CD and an MP3. But I don't own the bestest and most expensivest speakers either. But again, it's your own time, do what you want. If you NEED it that way, do it that way.

Can I store all of my media exclusively on a time capsule and use that as a media server to my laptop, mini, and apple tv?
I uh... Well, the computer would still need to serve as the host to run the serving software. All the TC can do is hold the files. I don't know how well an N network performs with hosting stuff like that and streaming it all the time. I'd just use the TC as a backup since you WILL want one and get a cheap USB HD for your mini to hold the files like I do. KEEP A BACKUP. Use the Time Capsule as a backup like it's supposed to be. i.e. Use the Mac mini as the server for all your stuff and just mount the external HD that you will buy (You can get 2TB ones sooooo cheap now) as the holder for all your stuff. Just make sure the TC has enough space for it all. Personally I just have two 2TB drives that I use for double backup of the same media and all my stuff.

Wow! Major thanks! Pick an inexpensive game from the app store that you've been wanting and I'll buy it for ya. shoot me your email via PM. :)

Seriously thanks alot!

Doytch

Jasoco said:
Get a Pro. If you don't mind 15" get the 15" to get the i5. Else get the 13". I don't mind it. The drive can be upgraded by you as well if their base model is too small. The real difference between the white MB and the aluminum Pro 13" is backlit keyboard, video card and other base specs. Also it's plastic, but it's a nice unibody plastic. Nothing wrong with it at all.
The 13" Macbook and 13" MBP have the same video card. So, the Pro has Firewire, SD Card, backlit kb, and 4GB RAM base rather than 2GB. And aluminium.

I think they used to be different, at least that's what my buddy told me, but the Apple site has them as the same now.

drkOne

outunderthestars said:

I know it's alot of questions, but I am totally lost when looking at Apple stuff. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to help. :)
Recently I picked up my mom's iBook G4, which is 5-6 years old, only had a RAM upgrade and bought a new battery an year ago... It served me well for web browsing and file browsing...
The main problems I had with it was that it still is on Mac OSX Tiger and the lack of an Intel CPU.
It didn't let me install iTunes 10, didn't let me sync with my iPad, and a lot of the software nowadays is built for Intel machines and/or Mac OSX Leopard or later.

It'll always do what it did when you bought it, but you'll notice that with hardware revisions you'll start lagging behind, as Apple always finds little things to upgrade. As they need to justify people upgrading their hardware, of course.

I'd say that when buying something from Apple it's better to take into consideration their resale value than how long it'll last you.
"Last gen" Apple products sell quite nicely, so upgrading every 2 years won't be as costly as you might think.

Also, plan well what you'll use them for, I'd say that you can do all the things you want with a MacBook + Apple TV alone.
You can just grab an adapter + DVI cable and plug a MacBook to your home monitor, and use it as a desktop with external mouse and keyboard.
Unless you want to always keep a PC at home or the Apple TV connected (for someone else to use while you're away?), you could do Desktop + Laptop with just one MacBook. And you should look into the MacBook Pros then, as they're the more powerful models.

As far as lossless goes, you need to check if the Apple TV accepts those files first (if I had to bet, I'd say it does) and if the Zune does too, other than that it all depends on your sound system and wether you hear the difference or not.
The only disadvantages of lossless is file size and that it'll drain the battery faster (which should only be noticeable in portable players)

As far as Time Capsule is concerned, I don't really know about the Apple TV, but at least with Macs it'll work.
And once again if Time Capsule does work with the Apple TV you won't need a Mac Mini to stream things to the TV, even when the MacBook isn't at home.
Not trying to force you not to buy a Mac Mini, just trying to recommend the simplest/cheapest setup that still accomplishes what you're looking for

Jasoco

Banned
Doytch said:
The 13" Macbook and 13" MBP have the same video card. So, the Pro has Firewire, SD Card, backlit kb, and 4GB RAM base rather than 2GB. And aluminium.

I think they used to be different, at least that's what my buddy told me, but the Apple site has them as the same now.
Oh, and the backlit keyboard, which I don't think I could ever live without now.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Speaking of old hardware. Anyone have experience installing Leopard on a 1 GHz G4 eMac with 768 MB of RAM? My wife is giving it away to her parents and I want clear everything out and have a fresh install of the OS on there. I only have an old Leopard disk lying around, can't find my Tiger disk. Does it generally run fine? Better, worse, the same as Tiger?

Particle Physicist

giga said:
Upgrade the ram if you can. 768MB is pushing it for 10.5.

I don't think I'll be able to. I don't think I have time to go looking for some RAM since I am planning on giving it to them this week. Should I not bother with the Leopard install?

Particle Physicist

hmm.. i found this stick of ram

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CH7MY0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

never heard of the brand, but it is cheap as fuck. i might get it. :/

The computer will basically be used for internet and word. That's it. Maybe some photo managing software. So I'm still wondering if the effort is even worth it.

EDIT

looks like that ram manufacturer tends to send out dead sticks. think I'll pass on that RAM.

Jasoco

Banned
FrontPage question:

My dad is seriously considering switching... finally (Only took 10 years), but the only question I can't answer is FrontPage.

What's the best way to migrate to Mac while somehow keeping FrontPage? Is there a Mac program compatible (How is RapidWeaver?) or a converter? I don't know how much he's used FP, so I don't know how attached to it he is.

I don't know if iWeb would be enough. I don't think he really needs anything advanced.

What are my options?

AlexMogil

Jasoco said:
FrontPage question:

My dad is seriously considering switching... finally (Only took 10 years), but the only question I can't answer is FrontPage.

What's the best way to migrate to Mac while somehow keeping FrontPage? Is there a Mac program compatible (How is RapidWeaver?) or a converter? I don't know how much he's used FP, so I don't know how attached to it he is.

I don't know if iWeb would be enough. I don't think he really needs anything advanced.

What are my options?

I don't think there is a Mac equivalent that uses Frontpage extensions... but if he would be willing to Virtualize, he could use Sharepoint Designer in a Windows session, or even bootcamp. Sharepoint is free.

Maybe if you mention that Microsoft eliminated Frontpage in 2003 it might get him to switch. It was a really awful program on the server side. If he is just doing personal stuff he might be able to use iWeb.

jts

...hate me...
Ken Masters said:
should I hibernate or sleep the macbook?
Just close the lid and open the lid.

By that I mean sleep.

Hibernate is only good for when your battery gets completely drained out or when you want to keep a work session the way it is and won't be touching your Mac for a day or so.

My nearly 4 year old MBP was having issues with a faulty fan. Since it was out of warranty anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to try the repair myself. I ordered a replacement fan from ifixit.com (which is an amazing site) and was able to open the computer and swap it with no problems. Just make sure you have the right tools and for the love of God, keep track of all the screws.

I was so psyched from the success that repair, I ordered a 256GB SSD to replace the crappy stock 120GB 5400RPM drive that came with the computer. Swapping out the drive was a little trickier than replacing the fan, but totally doable. Cloning the old drive using SuperDuper made the switch totally painless. I'm still putting it through its paces, but I'm loving the SSD—CS5 is flying now on my computer. My iPhoto library opens in a matter of seconds.

Apple doesn't always make it easy, but it's totally worth seeing what upgrades you can do to older machines. One of the nicest things about these computers is how much longevity they can have.

Jasoco

Banned
AlexMogil said:
I don't think there is a Mac equivalent that uses Frontpage extensions... but if he would be willing to Virtualize, he could use Sharepoint Designer in a Windows session, or even bootcamp. Sharepoint is free.

Maybe if you mention that Microsoft eliminated Frontpage in 2003 it might get him to switch. It was a really awful program on the server side. If he is just doing personal stuff he might be able to use iWeb.
I'll have to look at how much work he's put into a site. If it's just a simple website, I bet he could easily get by with iWeb or maybe RapidWeaver if he doesn't like the app that will eventually come with his computer as part of iLife.

I've used iWeb though and it also seems to add a lot of cruft to the code. All those programs do, but I'd rather he use a program that might try creating sites for all browsers instead of one that probably optimizes for the worst one.

AlexMogil

Mr. Wonderful said:
It's going to be really hard NOT to buy from the Mac App Store. I'm just worried that soon we're going to have to pay for all the current free apps, or else have to download the iAd supported free versions.

I'm getting less and less comfortable with the OSX App Store in general now.

AlexMogil

giga said:
What’s the logic behind the assumption that many free apps will gain ads or a price tag?

That's not what I'm worried about, I'm more worried about control. I'm also hoping that these developers, including Apple, provide standard purchasing options for software.

Ashhong said:
You can manually put the MB to hibernate? I thought that's only what happens when the battery dies.

I wish to goodness I could manually hibernate because I only get a day out of sleep. Something is waking up my Mac during sleep or my sleep isn't really sleeping.

Apparently there are some terminal commands and a Widget to be able to go into hibernation, I might look into those.

Ashhong

A day? I would say take it to Apple but the first thing they will say is to reformat your comp, which is an obvious suggestion. Just stare that your light after a few hours and see if its still flashing :lol I dont think anything should be waking it if its closed though..maybe bluetooth?

AlexMogil

Ashhong said:
A day? I would say take it to Apple but the first thing they will say is to reformat your comp, which is an obvious suggestion. Just stare that your light after a few hours and see if its still flashing :lol I dont think anything should be waking it if its closed though..maybe bluetooth?

Yeah, I've done the reformat and the reset of the SMC. I'm going to look at syslogs next. Yuk. Taking it to Apple isn't a great option. I'm three hours away from any Apple store. My local service depot is two hours away and they.... drive it to the Apple store.

Phoenix

Dreams-Visions said:
just discharge it fully at least once/month and charge it back up. battery will last you a long time.

Keep tabs on it in the power management area in the upper right. You can see the battery status and it will tell you if there is something wrong that warrants bringing it in early for battery service.

I have the version before they started building the batteries into the system and right now I have 3 dead batteries. They won't even charge anymore. Not sure what's up with that.

Top Bottom