• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Phoenix

quadriplegicjon said:
I don't think I'll be able to. I don't think I have time to go looking for some RAM since I am planning on giving it to them this week. Should I not bother with the Leopard install?

Not even sure if it will install. My wife had one with 512 on it and SL said "yeah, go buy some ram". Fortunately I already had some from an older Mac Book Pro upgrade so I brought her machine up to 2 GB.

Phoenix

giga said:
What’s the logic behind the assumption that many free apps will gain ads or a price tag?

There are a number of systems for adding ads into applications now so there is very little reason to not put them in there. In addition, a free app was good to get exposure - but with the app store there is less reason to give an application away for free. MUCH less reason. Some people will keep free versions of their applications, but I expect to see some of the free apps convert to the "new shareware normal".

giga

Phoenix said:
There are a number of systems for adding ads into applications now so there is very little reason to not put them in there. In addition, a free app was good to get exposure - but with the app store there is less reason to give an application away for free. MUCH less reason. Some people will keep free versions of their applications, but I expect to see some of the free apps convert to the "new shareware normal".
Those systems for putting ads into applications are already there now though. Considering how much less exposure a developer is getting now and all the costs associated with developing his or her app, why haven’t they already given the app a price tag or ads?

What I feel is that if a developer’s app is already free right now, they don’t see the need to monetize off of it or at least rely upon it as their main income. Perhaps I could potentially see that changing due to how much more exposure they’ll get with the Store, and thus they could decide to implement ads or a price.

Tweetie was/is the only app I’ve ever used that used ads and it did it really well.

Ken Masters said:
Is it a good a idea to shut down the macbook every night when I'm done using it?

Just close the lid. The only time you should ever shutdown or reboot is for updates, or if you won't be using the laptop for at least a few days.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just switched on my mini after the Xmas break, and Plex wasn't working properly. Had a quick look around and it was plex 8, but i'd updated to plex 9. Investigating further, turns out i'd booted off my backup drive, created by super duper. Clearly it was so good I didn't notice. But, is this something that can happen automatically without me knowing? Eg if the main HDD fails, would the mac look for an attached bootable drive and use that instead? I have no idea why it has done this otherwise.

And how can I set it to boot off the main hdd? Just did a 'repair' and it appears ok, and it's mounted

mrklaw said:
I just switched on my mini after the Xmas break, and Plex wasn't working properly. Had a quick look around and it was plex 8, but i'd updated to plex 9. Investigating further, turns out i'd booted off my backup drive, created by super duper. Clearly it was so good I didn't notice. But, is this something that can happen automatically without me knowing? Eg if the main HDD fails, would the mac look for an attached bootable drive and use that instead? I have no idea why it has done this otherwise.

And how can I set it to boot off the main hdd? Just did a 'repair' and it appears ok, and it's mounted

Goto 'Startup Disk' in System Preferences

Is it bad to be constantly using the battery until the battery is low, then charging it up again (rinse and repeat).

last battery question, thanks for the answers

Seagoon

Is the Air Disk feature of the Airport Extreme still extremely slow? I've tried using this feature in the past but found it too slow to be considered usable.

I have a 500GB external HDD coming in the mail, and would like to try hosting photos and mp3s using Air Disk. I'm quietly hopeful that firmware updates have addressed the speed problems.

Seagoon said:
I have a 500GB external HDD coming in the mail, and would like to try hosting photos and mp3s using Air Disk. I'm quietly hopeful that firmware updates have addressed the speed problems.
Wired, I've never been able to get full USB 2.0 speed.

Ken Masters said:
Is it bad to be constantly using the battery until the battery is low, then charging it up again (rinse and repeat).

It can be argued that constantly discharging and recharging the battery wears it down, but it's irrelevant. According to Apple their batteries can be fully discharged and recharged 1000x. Given how long a charge lasts, that's 3 years of constant use. Human civilization won't be around in 3 years.....

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Seagoon said:
Is the Air Disk feature of the Airport Extreme still extremely slow? I've tried using this feature in the past but found it too slow to be considered usable.

Definitely not. It's decent as pure storage, but I wouldn't want to actively i/o with stuff on it. I use it for my iTunes library, however, and that works. Does at times noticeably slow down iTunes (namely importing/altering a lot of tags and album art), but it plays just fine. Just for storing photos you should be ok, but for editing them I'd be weary, especially for anything beyond iPhoto.

Seagoon

Thanks for the replies - it sounds like I might have to attach it to the back of my 'server' - now that I remember it, I did find it particularly frustrating working with large amounts of music and editing pictures - both of these things I do fairly frequently.

Firestorm

Ok, my cousin's laptop 2007 MacBook got water in it. Couldn't boot it so bought a 13" MBP. However, I replaced the hard drive in the old MB and it's working although without the trackpad functioning and it kinda feels like a timebomb ready to die at any moment...

Any rumours about Sandy Bridge and when the next MBP like is most likely expected to fall? I know the refresh cycle estimates January - February, but yeah I don't keep up with Apple news sites enough to know if late spring is looking more likely :(

Phoenix

giga said:
Those systems for putting ads into applications are already there now though. Considering how much less exposure a developer is getting now and all the costs associated with developing his or her app, why haven’t they already given the app a price tag or ads?

What I feel is that if a developer’s app is already free right now, they don’t see the need to monetize off of it or at least rely upon it as their main income. Perhaps I could potentially see that changing due to how much more exposure they’ll get with the Store, and thus they could decide to implement ads or a price.

Tweetie was/is the only app I’ve ever used that used ads and it did it really well.

We're still in a down market and people are looking to make quick money. You can spend a weekend throwing iAds or similar into most applications and turn profit. Before it was impractical because you didn't have reach so it would net you about as much as your wordpress blog. Now, however, if you can make it into the App Store gold rush you can make a fair amount of money. Go sit in the developer forums - they know this and they are all looking at the best ways to take advantage of it.

Its also a good thing IMO. If these developers can commercialize their apps to the right degree, they can spend more time working on them and build better applications - found companies based upon them, and grow into contributors in the new app age.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, my iTunes is always trying to download Inception, and I don't want it, how do I stop this?
Kill yourself, it should wake you up.

Edit: You can never be sure on the internet that the guy on the other end actually gets it. So please note that this is a joke post.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, my iTunes is always trying to download Inception, and I don't want it, how do I stop this?
Mine does this with planet earth and the bloody toy story app. Deleted them, cancelled the download and it's still convinced I really want it. I don't.

aparisi2274

Is there a good piece of software out there that can compress my videos without losing any of the quality?

I have a canon powershot that can shoot in 720p, but sometimes the file sizes are so large that I have a hard time posting them on certain site.

Any idea, or suggestions?

StuBurns

Banned
wmat said:
Kill yourself, it should wake you up.

Edit: You can never be sure on the internet that the guy on the other end actually gets it. So please note that this is a joke post.
Oh damn, I'd just filled the bathtub and strategically placed the toaster.
mrklaw said:
Mine does this with planet earth and the bloody toy story app. Deleted them, cancelled the download and it's still convinced I really want it. I don't.
I fixed mine, I knew this way of doing it, but it's a pain and a waste of bandwibth. But you have to completely let it download (if you delete it while it's downloading it won't work), let it remove itself from pending downloads, then delete it. Fucking waste of time and effort though.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
aparisi2274 said:
Is there a good piece of software out there that can compress my videos without losing any of the quality?

I have a canon powershot that can shoot in 720p, but sometimes the file sizes are so large that I have a hard time posting them on certain site.

Any idea, or suggestions?
Check out Handbrake. It's supposed to be decent. http://handbrake.fr/
If you have the money, you can also utilize the Adobe Media Encoder.

You will always lose quality; lossless video compression isn't particularly effective, even less so at 720p. So you'll have to make some sort of compromise. I'd suggest increasing bitrate until the end product is satisfactory. The worst-case scenario for video compression is random movement, so if you've filmed busy water or leafy trees swaying in the wind, that's a great benchmark for that.

Really starting to get antsy for a new Sandy Bridge 15" Macbook Pro. Earliest I'll be able to afford it is March, but we may not even get an announcement by then. Hoping I can get a decent Quad Core for ~$1800. Otherwise, I'll be waiting till the fall.

StuBurns said:
Oh damn, I'd just filled the bathtub and strategically placed the toaster.
Unfortunately, all you came out of this event with was a weird haircut and the ability to read women's minds.

StuBurns is: Mel Gibson.

guise

Ken Masters said:

Well i used to keep my macbook pro hooked up to juice 24/7. Fastforward a couple of years and if you take out the power chord for even a fraction of a second, it powers down. So from my personal experience i'd suggest using the battery - at the very least you'll learn how long it can hold a charge when the battery does eventually begin to die

guise said:
Well i used to keep my macbook pro hooked up to juice 24/7. Fastforward a couple of years and if you take out the power chord for even a fraction of a second, it powers down. So from my personal experience i'd suggest using the battery - at the very least you'll learn how long it can hold a charge when the battery does eventually begin to die

that's a scary thought, I thought macbooks weren't supposed to do that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jts said:
Macbook batteries are still batteries. They have to be cycled every now and then to stay healthy.

Apple has an excellent article on batteries, valid not only for Apple products: http://www.apple.com/batteries/
Sure, but it should be smarter than that. My work lenovo laptop is usually plugged in all day when i'm in the office, but it can automatically discharge and recharge the battery to keep it healthy. If you are on AC all the time then the computer should deliberately use the battery or at least discharge it

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
One thing that sucks about Apple stuff: The cables. My iTouch sync cable, for instance. The shielding is broken at both ends, that while I never stressed it. How hard can it be to make proper cables?

AcciDante

wmat said:
One thing that sucks about Apple stuff: The cables. My iTouch sync cable, for instance. The shielding is broken at both ends, that while I never stressed it. How hard can it be to make proper cables?

This happened to 2 of my laptop charge cables, and my iphone USB cable. Awful.

glaurung

Jasoco said:
I have half a dozen of those cables and none ever fell apart. You guys need to stop treating them so roughly.
Yes, stop using your cables in active volcanoes or underwater or in an oven...

I have a data cable all the way from the second or third generation of iPods that I still use. It looks like shit, but it has never broken on me.

The only cables that turned to dust after a while were the old headphone cables.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
What can I say? I'm not doing nasty things to my cables. They just, you know, hang out. Like cables do. And then break miraculously.

It's not rendering them useless because they still work, and as long as I don't pour liquids onto the open ends, it's cool. Just looks crappy, really. But there's a definite design issue there. The weakest point shouldn't be thin and at a wiggle-y edge, for starters. At the least, shield that spot, distribute force, do something.

jts

...hate me...
I agree with wmat. Newer iPod/iPhone cables are shit and fall apart easily.

My iPhone 3GS one went to shit easily and I treat it very right.

Older cables (with the press to unplug thingy) were way better, as my old iPod mini sync cable is still perfect.

AFAIK, the plastic magsafe connectors also suffer from the falling apart thing, but the new aluminum ones are OK and they're the current standart.

mrklaw said:
Sure, but it should be smarter than that. My work lenovo laptop is usually plugged in all day when i'm in the office, but it can automatically discharge and recharge the battery to keep it healthy. If you are on AC all the time then the computer should deliberately use the battery or at least discharge it
I'm not sure if that sounds right. I mean, you never know when you'll need your laptop on the go and it'd sure suck if it was doing an automatic discharge/charge cycle (also, that means power management at a BIOS/EFI level no?). I think that ultimately that should be up to the user and Apple even offers an iCal reminder so he can be warned to do so. Personally I don't need it because even at home I take great pleasure in going fully wireless for almost a whole day. So I do it as often as I can :D

upgraded my ram today in my late 09 MBP from 2 gigs to what should have been 8 gigs...but 1 stick was bad... :(

was freaking out after the install because osx wouldnt post

mrklaw said:
That's what Macs and just about any battery does too.

Battery myths and scare stories are ridiculous. Look at how paranoid Ken Masters is about shit that people shouldn't have to spend a second thinking about.

Firestorm

By the time you feel the effects of a deteriorating battery, you'll want a new laptop. My last one - a Toshiba Satellite that I upgraded from XP -> Vista -> W7 - lasted 4 years of constant use (became my primary computer, was a floor demo model when I bought it).

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That's what Macs and just about any battery does too.

Battery myths and scare stories are ridiculous. Look at how paranoid Ken Masters is about shit that people shouldn't have to spend a second thinking about.

I used to be pedantic about the whole "charge things well the first night" type deal, but these days, battery tech is pretty sweet. I don't worry about it and play with my gadgets and charge whenever. I DO, however, pay attention to try and drain my battery every month or so.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I have a bunch of stuff on a 500GB external (HTFS), and I was wondering if I would lose those files if I partitioned the drive through Disk Utility? I want to split it in half, but it would be a hassle if I had to place those files on my computer and then put them back.

btw, you guys have been awesomely helpful!

quadriplegicjon said:
I have a bunch of stuff on a 500GB external (HTFS), and I was wondering if I would lose those files if I partitioned the drive through Disk Utility? I want to split it in half, but it would be a hassle if I had to place those files on my computer and then put them back.

btw, you guys have been awesomely helpful!

The data will be erased when you partition the drive.

Jasoco

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
It actually wasn't! I backed up all the stuff, partitioned the drive, and the data was still intact. Pretty cool.
Modern versions of Disk Utility are able to resize, add and remove partitions without deleting files. What it does is first move files to the front of the disk before inserting the partition wall when you add a partition. Been this way since the Intel switch as far as I can remember.

Jasoco said:
Modern versions of Disk Utility are able to resize, add and remove partitions without deleting files. What it does is first move files to the front of the disk before inserting the partition wall when you add a partition. Been this way since the Intel switch as far as I can remember.
Yeah, that's how Bootcamp Utility creates the BC partition.

quadriplegicjon said:
It actually wasn't! I backed up all the stuff, partitioned the drive, and the data was still intact. Pretty cool.

How did you do that? When I partitioned my external hdd using disc utility I lost all the data on it (I backed it up of course) and I even recall a message telling me the data would be erased before hitting ok.

Just tried to partition and sure enough the program warns me that all the data on the drive will be erased.

Jasoco

Banned
H_Prestige said:
How did you do that? When I partitioned my external hdd using disc utility I lost all the data on it (I backed it up of course) and I even recall a message telling me the data would be erased before hitting ok.

Just tried to partition and sure enough the program warns me that all the data on the drive will be erased.
You need to do it a certain way...

You need to press the ADD button (+) and add the partitions. You CANNOT use the pull-down menu to select how many you want. The ADD button. Not the PULL-DOWN. The Pull-down destroys the HD data. The add button adds new partitions and the MINUS removes selected ones destroying whatever data was on that partition ONLY. Removing a partition also leaves empty unused space. You will then need to resize the neighboring partition to take back that space.

AlexMogil

Jasoco said:
You need to do it a certain way...

You need to press the ADD button (+) and add the partitions. You CANNOT use the pull-down menu to select how many you want. The ADD button. Not the PULL-DOWN. The Pull-down destroys the HD data. The add button adds new partitions and the MINUS removes selected ones destroying whatever data was on that partition ONLY. Removing a partition also leaves empty unused space. You will then need to resize the neighboring partition to take back that space.

Only problem is that is you have files that are too spread out and are in use by the OS, it will still warn you that you can't do it.

So do it from your install CD! Then no files are in use. Non-destructive resize away!

Top Bottom