• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

cooljeanius said:
Wait, I think you guys have it the wrong way around. I think he got a new, Intel Mac, and is trying to install Word 2004 on it. If he has Word 2004, he'll need to upgrade to a newer version of it.

Yep. 2004 too, you're good.

That sucks that I have to buy a new one though. Those programs are pretty pricy.

jts

...hate me...
Tkawsome said:
Yep. 2004 too, you're good.

That sucks that I have to buy a new one though. Those programs are pretty pricy.
Sorry for misunderstanding. As LCfiner said, you can get Pages right from the App Store. If you just need a simple word processor, it's good for what it is and it's only 20 bucks.

jts said:
Sorry for misunderstanding. As LCfiner said, you can get Pages right from the App Store. If you just need a simple word processor, it's good for what it is and it's only 20 bucks.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris R

What is the best way to wipe an older mac mini to near factory fresh? I guess having just lion on it would be ok too if that makes things easier (currently have lion on it).

Jasoco

Banned
If it already has Lion, you should have a recovery partition. Just boot into that and reformat the drive and reinstall from there.

Chris R

Jasoco said:
If it already has Lion, you should have a recovery partition. Just boot into that and reformat the drive and reinstall from there.
Lion installs a recovery partition if you install it from SL via the app store? Didn't know that.

Jasoco

Banned
Yes. In a nutshell...

You download Lion Installer from the App Store.

Run it and it creates a small <1GB partition on the boot drive and copies a disk image of the installer onto it.

It then reboots. Now, if you reboot from the drive that still has the installer app on it, it will install right from another disk image (4GB) contained inside. But if you reformat, or try to install later, it will first download the disk image to the drive and install from it. This lets the recovery partition stay below a gig so you barely know it's there.

The nice thing about that is it means you can install right to the latest version instead of having to install 10.7.0 then update it to 10.7.5 or whatever. (At least I assume that's how it works. It'd be silly not to.)

So yes, unless you went out of your way to delete the recovery partition, it will be there no matter what. It is also what allows you to reformat your boot drive while still not requiring a DVD to boot from.

The future is so bright, we have to wear shades!

So I just updated iPhoto, and now it won't open, because apparently Apple forgot to include a thing called AOSMigrate.framework in their Software Update...

Jasoco

Banned
Well there's your problem. Was the iPhoto update even worth it for people not on Lion? I mean the most new stuff was for Lion users.

Jasoco said:
Yeah. It's Apple's fault. They overlooked an important file. Here's a copy of it. Put it in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ and let me know if it works. (Unzip it first.)

http://cl.ly/3g1D3U090e3k1h2s2n2W

Don't know if you'll have to reboot after or not.
Goddammit, Apple... now it's giving me a new error message, saying it's missing /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BookmarkDAV.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SafariDAVNotifier.framework/Versions/A/SafariDAVNotifier...
Just how many frameworks did you forget to bundle with this thing, Apple? Jasoco, before you go and send me another framework, how about you go into Activity Monitor, open up iPhoto, and then inspect its process in Activity Monitor, and check its open files and ports so I can have an idea of how many other frameworks I might be missing...

Jasoco

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Goddammit, Apple... now it's giving me a new error message, saying it's missing /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BookmarkDAV.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SafariDAVNotifier.framework/Versions/A/SafariDAVNotifier...
Just how many frameworks did you forget to bundle with this thing, Apple? Jasoco, before you go and send me another framework, how about you go into Activity Monitor, open up iPhoto, and then inspect its process in Activity Monitor, and check its open files and ports so I can have an idea of how many other frameworks I might be missing...
Code:
/
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Geode
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/iLifePhotoStreamConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/iLifePhotoStreamConfiguration
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/iLifeAssetManagement.framework/Versions/A/iLifeAssetManagement
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tessera.framework/Versions/A/Tessera
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tellus.framework/Versions/A/Tellus
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/AccountConfigurationPlugin.framework/Versions/A/AccountConfigurationPlugin
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeFaceRecognition.framework/Versions/A/iLifeFaceRecognition
/System/Library/Frameworks/DiscRecordingUI.framework/Versions/A/DiscRecordingUI
/System/Library/Frameworks/ExceptionHandling.framework/Versions/A/ExceptionHandling
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/UpgradeChecker.framework/Versions/A/UpgradeChecker
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/A/iLifeSlideshow
/Library/Frameworks/iLifePageLayout.framework/Versions/A/iLifePageLayout
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/MobileMe.framework/Versions/A/MobileMe
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/ProXTCore.framework/Versions/A/ProXTCore
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeSQLAccess.framework/Versions/A/iLifeSQLAccess
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/ProUtils.framework/Versions/A/ProUtils
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeKit.framework/Versions/A/iLifeKit
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/ProKit
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/RedRock.framework/Versions/A/RedRock
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSAccounts.framework/Versions/A/AOSAccounts
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Ubiquity.framework/Versions/A/Ubiquity
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BookmarkDAV.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SafariDAVNotifier.framework/Versions/A/SafariDAVNotifier
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChunkingLibrary.framework/Versions/A/ChunkingLibrary
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/MediaSync.framework/Versions/A/MediaSync
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeFaceRecognition.framework/Versions/A/Resources/eOkaoCom.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeFaceRecognition.framework/Versions/A/Resources/eOkaoPt.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeFaceRecognition.framework/Versions/A/Resources/eOkaoDt.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeFaceRecognition.framework/Versions/A/Resources/eOkaoFr.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshowCore.framework/Versions/A/iLifeSlideshowCore
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshowProducer.framework/Versions/A/iLifeSlideshowProducer
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshowRenderer.framework/Versions/A/iLifeSlideshowRenderer
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshowExporter.framework/Versions/A/iLifeSlideshowExporter
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudioKit
/Library/Frameworks/NyxAudioAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/NyxAudioAnalysis
/Library/Frameworks/iLifePageLayout.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ExpressCheckout.framework/Versions/A/ExpressCheckout
/Library/Frameworks/iLifePageLayout.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/iLifeImageAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/iLifeImageAnalysis
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickTime.rsrc
/private/var/folders/z0/t6ljd39j1rbbdr01n5xw5qs40000gn/C/com.apple.scriptmanager.le.cache
/Library/Frameworks/DivX Toolkit.framework/Versions/A/DivX Toolkit
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.component/Contents/MacOS/DivX Decoder
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/usr/share/icu/icudt46l.dat
/Library/QuickTime/EyeTV MPEG Support.component/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV MPEG Support
/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/sRGB Profile.icc
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libCoreFSCache.dylib
/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/AdobeRGB1998.icc
/Users/jasoco/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto/com.apple.opencl/com.apple.ocl.32.maps
/System/Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/LocalSource.sourcebundle/Contents/MacOS/LocalSource
/System/Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/DirectoryServices.sourcebundle/Contents/MacOS/DirectoryServices
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libcldcpuengine.dylib
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HelveticaNeueUI.ttc
/Users/jasoco/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto/com.apple.opencl/com.apple.ocl.32.data
/System/Library/Fonts/ZapfDingbats.ttf
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhoneNumbers.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Default.phoneformat
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBAperturePlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBAperturePlugin
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBAppDefPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBAppDefPlugin
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBFolderPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBFolderPlugin
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBGarageBandPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBGarageBandPlugin
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ProThemeBits.car
/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile.bin
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AppThemeBits.car
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont
/System/Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/CardDAVPlugin.sourcebundle/Contents/MacOS/CardDAVPlugin
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ArtFile.bin
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/ImageFormats/unorm8_bgra.dylib
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/RSSPublisher.publisher/Contents/MacOS/RSSPublisher
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FacebookPublisher.publisher/Contents/MacOS/FacebookPublisher
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FlickrPublisher.publisher/Contents/MacOS/FlickrPublisher
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/MobileMePublisher.publisher/Contents/MacOS/MobileMePublisher
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/Email.accountconfigplugin/Contents/MacOS/Email
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/Facebook.accountconfigplugin/Contents/MacOS/Facebook
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/Flickr.accountconfigplugin/Contents/MacOS/Flickr
/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/MobileMe.accountconfigplugin/Contents/MacOS/MobileMe
/private/var/db/mds/messages/se_SecurityMessages
/System/Library/TextEncodings/Unicode Encodings.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Unicode Encodings
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/XQuery.framework/Versions/A/XQuery
/private/var/folders/z0/t6ljd39j1rbbdr01n5xw5qs40000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-034501.csstore
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhotoPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBiPhotoPlugin
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiTunesPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBiTunesPlugin
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhoto8Plugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBiPhoto8Plugin
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework/Versions/A/iTunesAccess
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBAperture31Plugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBAperture31Plugin
/System/Library/Fonts/HelveticaNeue.dfont
/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhoto9Plugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/iLMBiPhoto9Plugin
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
->0xffffff8018461c00
->0xffffff8018461c00
count=1, state=0x1
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickTime.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ProThemeBits.car
/Users/jasoco/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist.lockfile
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
/Users/jasoco/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.iPhoto.savedState/data.data
/Library/Frameworks/iLifeKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AppThemeBits.car
/Users/jasoco/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/7450F125-B12F-4C72-B562-10D1696C281F/AddressBook-v22.abcddb
/Users/jasoco/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb
->0xffffff8019a76648
/Users/jasoco/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto/com.apple.opencl/com.apple.ocl.32.maps
/Users/jasoco/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto/com.apple.opencl/com.apple.ocl.32.data
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/iPhotoLock.data
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/Library.apdb
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/Properties.apdb
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/History.apdb
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/ImageProxies.apdb
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/BigBlobs.apdb
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/apdb/Faces.db
/Library/Application Support/iLife/PointOfInterest.db
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Thumb64Segment.data
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/ThumbJPGSegment.data
elizabeth.home:60534->api-read-15-01-prn1.facebook.com:http
/Library/Application Support/iPhoto/Themes.db
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Projects.db
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Projects.db-journal
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/History/Changes/0000000001.plist
FNetwork.defaultStorageSession
/Users/jasoco/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto/Cache.db
/Users/jasoco/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto/Cache.db
*:dpap
/Users/jasoco/Pictures/iPhoto Library
->0xffffff8014adfe10
->0xffffff8019a76198
->0xffffff80293482c0
/Library/Caches/com.nvidia.OpenGL/1570AD94-BFF7-3660-A6C5-64F3004B2572/03D2F3252172316F/03D5B821-A71D-3D46-8CE0-9E707BC20430.toc
/Library/Caches/com.nvidia.OpenGL/1570AD94-BFF7-3660-A6C5-64F3004B2572/03D2F3252172316F/03D5B821-A71D-3D46-8CE0-9E707BC20430.bin
elizabeth.home:60540->a96-16-93-15.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http
count=0, state=0x1
Damn that's a long list. Cut out some personal stuff at the end.

Magnus

Hi.

So, I performed a clean install of SL on my MacBook. All's well, but I have a wiped iCal now. All my iCal data (multiple calendars/events) is still present on my iPhone 4. Is there no way to sync that data to the Mac? Syncing doesn't seem to yield the results I hoped (an import of the phone's Cal data to the Mac).

Holy shit that's a lot of open ports... I tried going through it all to make sure I had everything, but I only got about halfway... Anyway, besides the BookmarkDAV System Private Framework, it looks like I'm also missing the ChunkingLibrary System Private Framework...

Jasoco

Banned
Is it possible to just uninstall iPhoto and reinstall it, possibly from a disc, either the OS you originally had with the computer or something then update it another way? Or find a torrent of it somewhere that will surely have all the files needed. Or, take it to the Apple Store and show a Genius. They can surely help.

My Macbook started making a weird noise like someone is hitting a tennis ball, the sound is coming from the speaker/headphones. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it?

Edit: It was resolved, thanks anyway!

jts

...hate me...
On Safari, isn't there a way of previewing the URL of hotlinks? Kinda shitty to have to click blindly on a link to know where it leads to.

jts

...hate me...
Treefingers said:
Tap & hold on a link, on the thing that pops up there's the URL.
Aren't you thinking iOS? I've tried that on the Mac to no avail, but then accidentally discovered that if I click and hold and then drag any link or button, it will display the URL, which is cool enough. Thanks!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm considering getting Aperture, but I was wondering if it keeps your original folder structure for pictures (ala iTunes), or if it handles folders like iPhoto (i.e. a complete jumble and almost impossibly to navigate outside of the program)?

quadriplegicjon said:
I'm considering getting Aperture, but I was wondering if it keeps your original folder structure for pictures (ala iTunes), or if it handles folders like iPhoto (i.e. a complete jumble and almost impossibly to navigate outside of the program)?
It works kinda like iPhoto. Instead of an iPhoto Library it creates an Aperture Library. I think there's still a trial version if you want to try and see for yourself.

I'm in need of some help, since I think my Macbook is dying:

My display has all of the sudden gone complete black (like if it was turned off). I can hear that the machine is stille running as it is supposed to, and if I turn of my Macbook complete and start it up again, the screen lights up and works for two seconds before going completely black again.

What could be the malfunction here? The screen? Harddrive? Something else?

Am I out of luck or can I somehow save my computer?

Barrett2

In Lion I have an issue where sometimes I open an Excel or Word file attachment in email, but it opens it on top of the full screen mail Client and I have to manually save and close the file before being able to access it.

Feel stupid asking this, but.... will any mouse work on a MacBook? I don't have to use an Apple mouse, right?

lawblob said:
In Lion I have an issue where sometimes I open an Excel or Word file attachment in email, but it opens it on top of the full screen mail Client and I have to manually save and close the file before being able to access it.

Feel stupid asking this, but.... will any mouse work on a MacBook? I don't have to use an Apple mouse, right?
Yes any mouse will work. :p Not sure about your Mail issue though.

TUSR

Banned
Ken Masters said:
macbook pro owners, how ofter do you turn off your laptop?
Completely off? Maybe when there is a storm and im not using it?

Other then that I do resets to switch operating systems. And I close the lid when its not in use.

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Same here, not sure how healthy it is though. :lol
Well, my previous machine, a 2007 white MacBook, died pretty fast. (Didn't make it to 3 years. Problems started after about two years.) But I think it just had problems. Also, I ran it into the ground ripping and transcoding DVD's most of the time overnight. It rarely slept.

Now I have a mini to use as a workhorse so my Pro can rest. Plus I got AppleCare for my Pro this time.

bionic77

Sentry said:
Same here, not sure how healthy it is though. :lol
Thats how I have used my MBP from 2006 and it is still going very strong. First battery died (the computer really slowed down with a dead battery) but no other problems. I don't know if leaving computer on all the time is good or bad for battery, have heard it both ways.

Jasoco

Banned
Only a little. Not that noticeable. Ever heard how Apple's battery powered devices have super long standby time? Because they use very minimal power when sleeping. They make a big deal about how the Air's have 30 days standby. Not sure how long the Pro's last though.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Ken Masters worries more about batteries than anyone I have ever seen post on this forum.

It's true, but it's because I've had this laptop for less then 10 months and I'm 87% capacity and have done 136 charge cycles

Magnus

87, 90%? Surely you guys don't mean that's the maximum charge you can get on the batteries now? I've had my Pro for 14 months and still charge to 100....

Or do you mean a maximum charge now is only 87 or 90% of what it once was? How does one even look up that statistic? I'd be curious what my battery's at. My Pro's probably been on non-stop since August 2010, shut at night with the power cable plugged in, lol.

Having this weird issue with iPhoto 9.2. If i manually change the location of a picture on the map in the bottom right corner by moving the pin, it doesn't 'stick'. If I go to another photo, then back to that one the location has moved back to the original place.
Can anyone running 9.2 confirm it does this for them too?

Krelian

Magnus said:
87, 90%? Surely you guys don't mean that's the maximum charge you can get on the batteries now? I've had my Pro for 14 months and still charge to 100....

Or do you mean a maximum charge now is only 87 or 90% of what it once was? How does one even look up that statistic? I'd be curious what my battery's at. My Pro's probably been on non-stop since August 2010, shut at night with the power cable plugged in, lol.
Battery Health Monitor or Coconut Battery

My battery still has 95% capacity (bought my Macbook in March 2010).

Top Bottom