• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

hirokazu

MDJCM said:
Can't very or repair windows formatted partitions :/
Could be that either the GPT or the MBR is messed up and needs to be fixed. Can't think of an easy fix solution, rEFIt is certainly a good place to start, if you can get it to load.

Otherwise a Windows or Linux-based partition utility might be an option. There are Linux live CDs that just have partition tools and such.

So my school has a Mac lab that uses Faronics DeepFreeze (managed with Apple Remote Desktop) to reboot its computers every night. This is kind of annoying for me, as sometimes I'm working there when it's time to reboot. Is there anyway to bypass this so I don't have to re-download everything from the internet every time I want to use a school computer?

Kong Fisso said:
This is driving me nuts.

Installed Win 7 as boot camp partition. No issues at all.
Today nothing happens when I hold down the alt key when booting.
I go to system settings>start disk and it only shows the mac partition, yet in finder I can see and access the boot camp disk.

So I thought I'd install Refit, but apparently it has issues with Lion. wtf

How can I make OS X understand that it can boot from the boot camp partition again?

27" iMac with Lion.
refit works just fine in lion for me.
Quick question, though - do you happen to have ntfs-3g or something ilke that installed?

MDJCM

Can anyone help?

I've been moving email from my Gmail into the "on my mac" folders in Mail. Does this mean they are stored locally and I can delete them from Gmail?

travisbickle said:
I've been moving email from my Gmail into the "on my mac" folders in Mail. Does this mean they are stored locally and I can delete them from Gmail?

Why not send yourself an irrelevant test message and test it?

FrancisH

Would love if someone could help me understand what's happening:

When Lion was released my favourite alarm app (Alarm Clock 2: link) stopped working because PowerPC apps were no longer supported. Today I re-downloaded it to check if it had been fixed, opened up the image, ran the app and it worked! Great I thought, so I dropped it into my Applications folder only to find that when trying to run it from there I get the usual No longer supported PowerPC message... My question is: How come it ran from inside the .dmg but not when I moved it?

The 'kind' is Application (Universal) which I thought would mean it could run on Intel Macs just fine and therefore in Lion.

giga

FrancisH said:
Would love if someone could help me understand what's happening:

When Lion was released my favourite alarm app (Alarm Clock 2: link) stopped working because PowerPC apps were no longer supported. Today I re-downloaded it to check if it had been fixed, opened up the image, ran the app and it worked! Great I thought, so I dropped it into my Applications folder only to find that when trying to run it from there I get the usual No longer supported PowerPC message... My question is: How come it ran from inside the .dmg but not when I moved it?

The 'kind' is Application (Universal) which I thought would mean it could run on Intel Macs just fine and therefore in Lion.
I just tried it and it runs for me. Go to your home folder, type cmd+shift+g, enter "library", and then navigate to Preferences. Delete the com.digitality plists and try again.

FrancisH

giga said:
I just tried it and it runs for me. Go to your home folder, type cmd+shift+g, enter "library", and then navigate to Preferences. Delete the com.digitality plists and try again.

It still gives me the PowerPC error unfortunately.

FrancisH

giga said:
Really weird. Can you cmd+i on the app in your applications folder and take a screenshot?

iJLAuTUFE0csL.png

If I do 'Show Package Contents' > Contents > MacOS and run the executable in that folder then it works, starts running and the new com.digitallity files are created again, but still when trying to launch the app normally I get the PowerPC message.

i have macbook pro and i would like to have e-sata out on this...whats the solution? purchased e-sata express card but it doesnt work on macbook

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
FrancisH said:
http://i.minus.com/iJLAuTUFE0csL.png

If I do 'Show Package Contents' > Contents > MacOS and run the executable in that folder then it works, starts running and the new com.digitallity files are created again, but still when trying to launch the app normally I get the PowerPC message.

Very strange. Maybe the Universal app is pointing to the powerpc side of things. You can try using this program to trim out the powerpc components:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20404/trimthefat

mollipen

Are there any good - yet svelte and stylish - Twitter apps for Mac OSX that actually show what Twitter post a reply is in regards to? TwitBird does this on the iPhone, and I can't believe such a useful feature isn't in any of the apps I've tried (especially the official one).

giga

shidoshi said:
Are there any good - yet svelte and stylish - Twitter apps for Mac OSX that actually show what Twitter post a reply is in regards to? TwitBird does this on the iPhone, and I can't believe such a useful feature isn't in any of the apps I've tried (especially the official one).
Double click an @ reply.

C0S72.png

FrancisH

quadriplegicjon said:
Very strange. Maybe the Universal app is pointing to the powerpc side of things. You can try using this program to trim out the powerpc components:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20404/trimthefat

Thank you! Now I can run the program normally, however I did run into one little problem - Authentication is needed to allow the alarm to wake the computer from sleep, and it decided to complain that TrimTeeFat had changed some of the internal components. Fixed it by running the executable in MacOS and authenticating once it had opened and then used Trim to sort the rest out.

giga said:
Also try running Onyx and running the automation scripts: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

I haven't ran Onyx in quite a few months, Ill give it a run tomorrow and then try an original copy of the alarm clock and see if it changes anything.

Thank you for all the help! Much appreciated :)

harriet the spy said:
refit works just fine in lion for me.
Quick question, though - do you happen to have ntfs-3g or something ilke that installed?
yes. ntfs driver was the culprit. disable it and reboot to reaches windows. Thanks

I'm using Adium on MacOSX to log into ICQ.

Now, as soon as I log in, I get the message:

You are now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. To sign off the other location(s), reply to this message with the number 1. Click here for more information.
http://www.aim.com/im_routing

I am not logged in somewhere else and this pops up everytime I connect. Does someone have my pw? I just blocked from wherever this message comes from.

noah111

Still Alive
Patrick Bateman said:
I am not logged in somewhere else and this pops up everytime I connect. Does someone have my pw? I just blocked from wherever this message comes from.
This used to happen with me an AIM way back, and I remember it had to do with something with it detecting me logged in on my phone even though I wasn't.

Either that, or someone has your pw.. wouldn't hurt to change it.

And man I am loving Screenflow 3. Also loving DrawIt, great for making custom folder icons;

pb2Fm.png

quadriplegicjon said:
Yeah, I switched from Disk Inventory X to Grand Perspective thanks to you.
Daisy Disk is also very nice, UI wise too. CleanMyMac still rules for freeing space on your drive.

Flek

Banned
i really need some way to tunnel a application though a proxy on lion. Any ideas? If it doesn't work for 1 app than for all outgoing connections… or a way to fake my location or something. I want to use onlive which blocks users from germany based on the ip … 

AcciDante

I could use some browser help for my sister if anyone has some time. She needs to use some awful website for her french class that just refuses to work. It only supports Safari and Internet Explorer and she's on a mac so we'll be using Safari. Our problem is that we absolutely can not get it to recognize that shockwave player IS installed and functional. It just comes up with "Missing plug in" everytime.

Here's the main website: http://myfrenchlab.com/
and here's the page that tests the plugins: http://myfrenchlab.com/assets/Browser_Check/browser_check.html

I'd really appreciate any help getting this awful website to work!

Ashhong

mrkgoo said:
Strangely, yes, the battery does have a serial number, but they can't track it. Initially, the authorised distributor here said that since I didn't have a proper receipt they wouldn't do anything, so I contacted Apple Asia-pacific, and they looked at my email which was from the store I bought that supplied at least a purchase order for a battery, and Apple just said they'll give me a new one. that's first class service! They even allowed me to pick it up in Taiwan when I was on holiday. I never had AppleCare.

So yeah, you may or may not be out of luck without out AppleCare, but be sure to take it into an applestore, and they may be lenient. I recall that they ran a diagnostic test, and my battery failed it. Also, my service battery warning was intermittent. After charging it, sometimes it would appear normal for a few days, but revert back. But do check out other options first, such as the SMC reset. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3782

Hey mrkgoo, I finally got around to resetting the SMC but is there a way to know if I did it correctly? I mean its not hard to follow the instructions, but is there any kind of light or message that pops up when I reboot? It didn't fix my "Service Battery" message so now I'm moving onto calibrating my battery...hopefully I dont need to buy a new one.

So I am doing it, jumping back into the Apple laptop game with a Macbook Pro...Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good program, with a unique/intuitive/slick UI that can be used for taking notes effectively in class?

noah111

Still Alive
Would be nice to know the model just to be sure, but ifixit.com is a great resource to find stuff like this. Here's the tools for the sealed version (from a guide I used for my 2010 unibody 15" MBP);

Phillips #00 Screwdriver
T6 Torx Screwdriver
Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
If it's the latest macbookpro, you only need the Phillips #00 Screwdriver. My sister bought one around when Lion was released and I upgraded her RAM.

Blackhead

Redarse
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So I am doing it, jumping back into the Apple laptop game with a Macbook Pro...Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good program, with a unique/intuitive/slick UI that can be used for taking notes effectively in class?
Pear Note?

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
Hey mrkgoo, I finally got around to resetting the SMC but is there a way to know if I did it correctly? I mean its not hard to follow the instructions, but is there any kind of light or message that pops up when I reboot? It didn't fix my "Service Battery" message so now I'm moving onto calibrating my battery...hopefully I dont need to buy a new one.

As far as I know, no, I don't think there is.

Sentry said:
Would be nice to know the model just to be sure, but ifixit.com is a great resource to find stuff like this. Here's the tools for the sealed version (from a guide I used for my 2010 unibody 15" MBP);

Phillips #00 Screwdriver
T6 Torx Screwdriver
Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver
Doytch said:
You'll /probably/ just need the Phillips. That's all I needed when adding RAM on my latest-model Macbook.
quadriplegicjon said:
If it's the latest macbookpro, you only need the Phillips #00 Screwdriver. My sister bought one around when Lion was released and I upgraded her RAM.
Thanks, guys. A screwdriver's on its way from Amazon. It sure will feel good to go from 2GB to 8GB of RAM (mid-2009 13" MBP).

MDJCM

AcciDante said:
I could use some browser help for my sister if anyone has some time. She needs to use some awful website for her french class that just refuses to work. It only supports Safari and Internet Explorer and she's on a mac so we'll be using Safari. Our problem is that we absolutely can not get it to recognize that shockwave player IS installed and functional. It just comes up with "Missing plug in" everytime.

Here's the main website: http://myfrenchlab.com/
and here's the page that tests the plugins: http://myfrenchlab.com/assets/Browser_Check/browser_check.html

I'd really appreciate any help getting this awful website to work!

Don't know, try www.macrumors.com forums or www.mac-forums.com

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
MS Word, notebook view.

Doytch

Kong Fisso said:
MS Word, notebook view.
I actually remember preferring the Outline view. It lets you easily organize things into different-level headings which I couldn't find in notebook view (I think...?). Though if you've got PDF slides, just annotate them in Preview.

Doytch said:
I actually remember preferring the Outline view. It lets you easily organize things into different-level headings which I couldn't find in notebook view (I think...?). Though if you've got PDF slides, just annotate them in Preview.
I can't find them either. But even if it's no onenote, tabbed view is still so handy.

Top Bottom