• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

I got two iPhoto icons in the Launcher, how come? And how do I remove one of them and how do I find out which one?

Another small thing is, how do I unhide photos in iPhoto? I hid one but can't seem to unhide it again.
The icons in your dock are essentially shortcuts, both pointing to iphoto. Delete either one. Or both and add back.

Crudediatrib, di you just drag the steam folder to another location ad use a soft link to it?

It diesn't bother me, I just leave stuff at default.

SeanR1221

Not sure where to ask this but it's always bothered me how Left 4 dead 1 and 2, along with team fortress 2 run like shit on my late 09 iMac. I meet the requirements so what gives?

mrkgoo

Not sure where to ask this but it's always bothered me how Left 4 dead 1 and 2, along with team fortress 2 run like shit on my late 09 iMac. I meet the requirements so what gives?

People's definition of 'requirements' can be very different, ranging from 'will run' to 'run at 60 fps, with all effects turned on'.

Depends on where your impressions fit on the gamut.

kennah

What's your guys' take on refurbished macs? Yay or nay?

F'n YAY.

Basically it works out to you getting Apple Care for free. Since they come with the exact same warranty as new Macs.

Don't ever buy a non-refurb or non-education model.

RDreamer

My iMac was a refurb, and it's been pretty great for two years now. So yay.

A little offtopic, but are refurbished iPads as good as refurbished macs?

Don't know about iPads specifically, but my iPhone was refurbished and I wouldn't have had a clue unless someone told me. It came looking brand spanking new and working like brand new. I'd expect the iPads to be the same.

My iMac was a refurb, and it's been pretty great for two years now. So yay.

A little offtopic, but are refurbished iPads as good as refurbished macs?

Don't know about iPads specifically, but my iPhone was refurbished and I wouldn't have had a clue unless someone told me. It came looking brand spanking new and working like brand new. I'd expect the iPads to be the same.

I've never owned a refurbished Mac but did once get my new iPad replaced for a refurbished one after having some issues with mine. Like RDreamer, there were no immediate indications that it was a refurbished device; it worked and looked like new. If you want a new one, then you should look for a student who goes to a school that is eligible for an Educational discount of around 15%, so identical to the refurb prices.

Pachimari

The icons in your dock are essentially shortcuts, both pointing to iphoto. Delete either one. Or both and add back.

Crudediatrib, di you just drag the steam folder to another location ad use a soft link to it?

It diesn't bother me, I just leave stuff at default.

No, I don't mean the Dock. I mean the area where all of your apps are, the iOS-like overview - I got 2 iPhoto icons displayed. How do I know which one to remove? And how do I remove it? :)

If I drag one of the iPhoto icons to the trash and erase it from there, will that erase all of iPhoto and my photos?

-----

I'm about to order a Synology DS411J (8TB) NAS but will I be able to use it with both Windows and Macs?

Will I just connect it with an Ethernet cable to my routher, and then I can wirelessly access it through my MacBook Air, Windows computer, Mac Mini etc. ?

I think I'll order today if so.

Tl31bl.jpg

Do you guys know if I can use one of the USB ports on this one, to connect it directly to my Mac Mini through a USB cable? Because I will have some of my movies on there, but would like it to be transfered by cable instead of through a wireless connection.

Is that possible?

If it can do it, then I'll order it ASAP.

Hey guys I'm seling my MBP and attempting to format but its not giving me the option. I purchased my MBP the week before Lion came out and I don't have the intall disk for that OS version, only Snow Leopard (?). Anyone know the workaround for this?

I go to Disk Utility and the option to erase is there, but its greyed out and unselectable.

I hate YouTube's new video player (the one with the video speed settings, like 1/2x and 2x speed). Before, it was fine (plus it was compatible with this neat video downloader extension I downloaded, heh). But now every video with this new layout causes the dreaded spinning beach ball to appear and the videos lag terribly.

It doesn't help that this HTML-5 "trial" as they call it doesn't seem to work. Every video I load is still in Flash :-\

Jme

What's your guys' take on refurbished macs? Yay or nay?

100% Yay. The *only* downside is you can't customize them (RAM etc.) but those things are overpriced anyway. Refurb Apple products have brand new casings, and the same exact warranty. At my workplace, we have over 250 macs (iMacs, Macbooks, MBPros, Xserves, Mac Minis, etc.) all of them refurbs.

Jme

Hey guys I'm seling my MBP and attempting to format but its not giving me the option. I purchased my MBP the week before Lion came out and I don't have the intall disk for that OS version, only Snow Leopard (?). Anyone know the workaround for this?

I go to Disk Utility and the option to erase is there, but its greyed out and unselectable.

redownload Lion, open the package contents and use Disk Utility to burn a disc of InstallESD (Or on a USB stick)

Just restart the computer and hold down Command-R while it boots. This will boot into Recovery mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Alright, need to figure this out.

My MacBook Air 2011

HD Capacity - 120GB
HD Available - 5.5GB

Music - 15GB
Movies - 53GB
Pictures - 12GB
Downloads - 3GB
Documents - 6GB
Applications - 5GB

I'm missing around 20GB worth of free space, anyone have any clue as to where it would go missing? How much space does the OSX take(If it is not already included in the application space)? I have Lion installed on it.

I have no iOS devices backups, I don't use time machine and my Recycle Bin is empty.

Any clue guys?

How big are:
/Developer (if present) - Nope
/Library - 3.1GB
/System - 5.5GB
/Users/Shared - <1MB, Mine - 93GB
~/Library - 6.5GB

?

Here are the numbers you asked for. I just rechecked the space and it shows 12GB now. Not really sure where that came from. I did restart my system once prior to this. The numbers for all the folders are same except for the fact that my free space which is 12GB as I have already mentioned. It was around 5GB yesterday.

Blackhead

Redarse
Here are the numbers you asked for. I just rechecked the space and it shows 12GB now. Not really sure where that came from. I did restart my system once prior to this. The numbers for all the folders are same except for the fact that my free space which is 12GB as I have already mentioned. It was around 5GB yesterday.

Do you have local backups for Time Machine turned on?

I hate YouTube's new video player (the one with the video speed settings, like 1/2x and 2x speed). Before, it was fine (plus it was compatible with this neat video downloader extension I downloaded, heh). But now every video with this new layout causes the dreaded spinning beach ball to appear and the videos lag terribly.

It doesn't help that this HTML-5 "trial" as they call it doesn't seem to work. Every video I load is still in Flash :-\
Irony.

It's the HTML5 player that's actually causing the slowdown, I hadn't realized that videos in HTML5 weren't labeled any differently. I wonder how much Adobe paid Google to screw this up so badly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I feel pretty dumb here, but I can't figure out how to get photos off of my iPod Touch. I had no problems using the file browser on Windows, but OSX has me completely stumped. Little help?

CaLe

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Macbook Air today (13 inch, 128 GB).

What are some of the best Mac applications that I should download right away ?

I currently only downloaded 1Password (using it on PC) and I'm still trying to figure out how to import my passwords from my PC.

Thanks

mrkgoo

Step 1: Open iPhoto
Step 2: ???

IF you're not familiar with iPhoto, and just need to get your photos, I suggest just use Image Capture.

Step 1) Open image capture
Step 2) Plug in iPod touch
Step 3) iPod touch camera roll shows up in window - click and drag photos from the window to where you want them. IT might be set to delete your photos when importing, so make sure you have this checked off if you don't want to delete them.

Step 1 & 2 can be done in either order.

If you MUST use iPhoto:

Step 1) open iPhoto
Step 2) Plug in iPod touch
Step 3) Select iPod touch in "devices". Select photos you want to be imported and click 'import'. They will be copied to iPhoto Library.

Hey guys,

I currently only downloaded 1Password (using it on PC) and I'm still trying to figure out how to import my passwords from my PC.

Thanks

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404822

BUt if you ask me, most apps aren't even that necessary. Some are, but really depends on your needs. Not many people can really say certain apps are must download for YOU. I suggest trying the default apps. Switching to a Mac can be jarring (esp. Lion), but I recommend playing with the system before trying too much stuff to make it like what you're used to using. Apple has a certain way about doing things, and fighting it when you don't know much can be stress-inducing.

Personally, my list of must-haves that I download if I ever get a new Mac:

Perian & Flip4Mac (codecs to improve Quicktime).
HandBrake (for file conversion).
Skype and MSN (Adium is good if you want something more wide reaching).

Obviously, some other apps are good, but I don't consider them must-haves. I download them just because I use their services:
Dropbox
Transmission
Tinygrab etc.

Um.....that's about it. Everything else for me is pretty superfluous.

Hey guys,

Thanks
Media player = MPlayerX
Trackpad customization = BetterTouchTool

And if you ever need to shut your laptop's lid but don't want it to fall asleep, NoSleep utility.

Hey guys,

Thanks
The Unarchiver for 7z, RAR, etc
Reeder for RSS
Pixelmator for image/photo editing
Sonora is a great new music player
Transmission for torrents
Twitterrific is my preferred Twitter client
f.lux is pretty handy

Some off the top of my head.

mrkgoo

My god. I really, really want to buy this now. Never heard of it either, looks excellent.

I think I've heard of it, but never checked it out. That does indeed look awesome.

I like iTunes enough, though, and don't wish to have a redundant piece of software.

noah111

Still Alive
I think I've heard of it, but never checked it out. That does indeed look awesome.

I like iTunes enough, though, and don't wish to have a redundant piece of software.
Same here, but (unless I understood it wrong) this does nothing except feed off of your iTunes library, so you're still managing the same music library, just accessing it in a faster/easier/nicer way.

Same here, but (unless I understood it wrong) this does nothing except feed off of your iTunes library, so you're still managing the same music library, just accessing it in a faster/easier/nicer way.
Yeah. You can use it without iTunes though if you want. It's a very nice app.

CaLe

Thanks so much for the help guys. God I love GAF. I'll check all the apps mentioned and pick and choose which ones I like best.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Dropbox
Skitch
MenuMeters
Messages Beta
HyperDock (preview your windows by hovering your cursor above them + snap windows)
Bowtie
Newsrack (best RSS reader imo)

noah111

Still Alive
Since we're rehoming apps, off the top of my head here's mine:

Alfred
Caffeine
Anxiety
BetterTouchTool
iStat Menus
Bowtie
Simple Comic
Pixelmator 2.0
VLC 2.0
Screenflow 3.0
Plex
CleanMyMac
DaisyDisk
Evom
Spotify
HandBreak

And obviously the iLife/iWork suites if you're into what they offer. I would say Messages beta or Growl but those two will pointless soon with the release of Mountain Lion.

mrkgoo

Oh I know, that's what makes it sort of redundant. iTunes plays music fine for my needs.

But like I said, it does look gorgeous.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like Linkinus for IRC. Colloquy hasn't been updated in a couple years.
Well IRC is so dated I'm not surprised there isn't much app development going on.

Checked the features of Linkinus yet it makes no mention of scripting. I just use it for some simple SJIS emoticon posting, but typing /magic is miles quicker than opening a document and copy and pasting (&#65417;&#65439;&#959;&#65439;)&#65417;&#65424;&#9733;&#12444;&#12539;&#12290;&#12290;&#12539;&#12444;&#12444;&#12539;&#12290;&#12290;&#12539;&#12444;&#9734;&#12444;&#12539;&#12290;&#12290;&#12539;

MedIC86

reall stupid question but im getting my first mac soon but do i need to install drivers or anything on the first boot? or how does that work>?

Top Bottom