• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Pachimari

How do I turn off / on (to erase the pics) Photostream in iPhoto? Do I have to select all of the images in Photostream and then right click and "delete from Photo Stream" ?

Pachimari

I know how to erase my Photo Stream on the website and I know how to turn it off on my iOS devices. But how do I do so on my Macs? I'll check out your link.

caramac

The Unarchiver for 7z, RAR, etc
Reeder for RSS
Pixelmator for image/photo editing
Sonora is a great new music player
Transmission for torrents
Twitterrific is my preferred Twitter client
f.lux is pretty handy

Some off the top of my head.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, l got the free trial yesterday and I've just bought it from the app store.
It seems to produce a sound more to my liking than itunes, more clarity and punch in my opinion. It must use a different decoder. Great app.

tigerin

how do i crop part of a page and put it together with another object in a different page? printing individual page with a lot of blank parts on the paper seems like a waste.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, l got the free trial yesterday and I've just bought it from the app store.
It seems to produce a sound more to my liking than itunes, more clarity and punch in my opinion. It must use a different decoder. Great app.

how does it compare to Audrivana?

mrkgoo

It runs at like 5fps.

...but it runs ;)

You see my point. What some people consider "requirements" is completely off the ball. That's why I couldn't stand the whole computer gaming thing during the late nineties and early 2000. It was such a crapshoot, and you needed a bunch of background about cards, drivers etc.

I dunno if it's any different now, but I've kinda gotten past that kind of thing for computers.

As for your issue of L4D running so poorly, who knows. There could be more to it. I don't really trust Mac OS X for gaming, to be honest.

daw840

I'm having trouble getting pics off of my Canon Rebel XTi to my MBP. I plugged it in via USB and I thought it should pop something up asking me what I want to do with the pics, nothing happens though.

Any tips?

tsigo

I'm having trouble getting pics off of my Canon Rebel XTi to my MBP. I plugged it in via USB and I thought it should pop something up asking me what I want to do with the pics, nothing happens though.

Any tips?

If you don't have iPhoto, open the "Image Capture" app and that will let you import. Or you could just browse the card in the camera directly through Finder and move the files out.

daw840

If you don't have iPhoto, open the "Image Capture" app and that will let you import. Or you could just browse the card in the camera directly through Finder and move the files out.

Hmmm, I can't seem to find it in the finder or in iPhoto.....

edit: and Image Capture says no device connected. WTH?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So I upgraded from Firefox 3 (hehehe) to Firefox 11 on my mac. I don't want website icons in my favbar or whatever it's called. How do I destroy them?

daw840

Well sonofabitch. It seems as though I might have a faulty USB port. Anyone know what, if any, the standard warranty is on these things?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just noticed that Sonora requires Lion. First time I've seen that.

Then again having used freeware music players all my life I find it pretty hard to convince myself buying one would be worth it.

whitehawk

Banned
Irony.

It's the HTML5 player that's actually causing the slowdown, I hadn't realized that videos in HTML5 weren't labeled any differently. I wonder how much Adobe paid Google to screw this up so badly.
lol I was about to say...

Yeah, HTML5 is great, but YouTube isn't using it properly. I hate the HTML5 player.

Pachimari

So I just got a Synology DS411J 8TB NAS and I have no idea where to start.

I need to install Synology Finder on the software CD apparently, but my MacBook Air doesn't have a drive. Wasn't there something about installing CD's from another Mac to the MacBook Air? Because I have a Mac Mini, and I'm thinking I could just install it on the MacBook Air through the Mac Mini? How so?

And how will I move my iTunes library from the external hard drive to the NAS? I can just drag and drop the whole folder right?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found out how to use Remote Disc.

Chris R

Does Time Machine back up Steam game data/saves? Going to be taking my MBA in to get it replaced at my local Apple store next week (trackpad issue isn't going away) and it would be great if I could just bring the new one home, plug it into my Time Machine drive and be back to just like before.

caramac

So I've just made my wife a user account on my imac (OSX Lion) and l want to make certain folders available on her account that I have on my (admin) account. Any help appreciated on this.

noah111

Still Alive
So I've just made my wife a user account on my imac (OSX Lion) and l want to make certain folders available on her account that I have on my (admin) account. Any help appreciated on this.
When on your account, right click>get info on whatever folder, and scroll down to the sharing and permissions section. Just hit add her account from there, and whether you want to allow read&write or read only.

From there I guess you could make an alias folder and drop it somewhere in her users' folders (desktop, docs etc). Another way is to just go to Users>Shared and drop whatever files in that (shared) folder.

caramac

When on your account, right click>get info on whatever folder, and scroll down to the sharing and permissions section. Just hit add her account from there, and whether you want to allow read&write or read only.

From there I guess you could make an alias folder and drop it somewhere in her users' folders (desktop, docs etc). Another way is to just go to Users>Shared and drop whatever files in that (shared) folder.

This seems to be the only way that I can get to work at the moment but if I copy my photos folder across its 13gb so this is going to take 13gb of hard drive space up just so another user can access it?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
This seems to be the only way that I can get to work at the moment but if I copy my photos folder across its 13gb so this is going to take 13gb of hard drive space up just so another user can access it?

Make a symbolic link (alias) to your Photos folder and drop it in the /Users/Shared/ folder. She needs to have at least read permission. This goes for the folder and for the individual files in it. Make sure she has read permission on those files.

caramac

Make a symbolic link (alias) to your Photos folder and drop it in the /Users/Shared/ folder. She needs to have at least read permission. This goes for the folder and for the individual files in it. Make sure she has read permission on those files.

Thanks for the help. For the minute there I thought I would have to take up lots of hard drive space up just so two different users could access the same folder.

Recently, in Chrome, when I go full-screen, no matter the resolution, the frame rate is unbearably low, stuttering everywhere, etc. Doesn't seem to happen on Safari. Any ideas?

CaLe

Hey guys, are those external Thunderbolt drives actually worth the premium price over USB 2.0 drives ?

I believe the 1 TB drive at the apple store costs around 300$~. Quite.. Expensive.

I currently have a 128 GB Macbook Air and I would like to have an external drive to store all my art assets, etc. for the game that I'm developing.

Are there any good wireless external drive ?

Thanks !

kennah

Wireless drive? I wouldn't really waste your time. But if you already have an Airport Extreme you can plug a drive into it. Unless you need blazing speed USB 2 is probably sufficient. The lack of firewire is the main thing holding me back from an Air.

CaLe

Wireless drive? I wouldn't really waste your time. But if you already have an Airport Extreme you can plug a drive into it. Unless you need blazing speed USB 2 is probably sufficient. The lack of firewire is the main thing holding me back from an Air.

Thanks.

I actually don't have an airport extreme. I was hoping that technology caught up and that wireless drives were common and efficient :)

Will we ever have drives that take advantage of the thunderbolt port ? From what I saw, even though the thunderbolt port allows for 10 Gb/s, the drives themselves only perform at around 180 MB/s.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Is using CCleaner on my MBP (Lion OS) any better than just emptying the cache, history, and trash basket?

kennah

Thunderbolt is still going to be limited by the speed of SATA. thats why you see so many thunderbolt drives that have multiple drives in a raid or parallel. Then the speed really kicks in.

CaLe

Thunderbolt is still going to be limited by the speed of SATA. thats why you see so many thunderbolt drives that have multiple drives in a raid or parallel. Then the speed really kicks in.

Makes sense, thanks.

Any RAID external drives that comes recommended from GAF ?

caramac

GAF, I have another question. Just a bit of background info, my windows pc died on me about 3 weeks ago more than likely due to motherboard failure. I knew it was on its way out but I really wanted it to last until the upcoming iMac refresh. So I bought a 2011 27inch iMac, I'm really loving it so far and I'm finding my way around OSX and trying to organize things the way I want them to be.

My question is regarding iTunes. On my old pc iTunes had 2 iPhones and an iPad synced to it and I know that when I connect them to iTunes on my mac I'm going to get the "this device is linked to another iTunes library" window.
The thing is l can access my iTunes folder on my old hard drive via an adapter cable I bought. Obviously using the migration assistant is out of the question but is there anyway I could drag anything of use from old folder to new folder that would help?

GAF, I have another question. Just a bit of background info, my windows pc died on me about 3 weeks ago more than likely due to motherboard failure. I knew it was on its way out but I really wanted it to last until the upcoming iMac refresh. So I bought a 2011 27inch iMac, I'm really loving it so far and I'm finding my way around OSX and trying to organize things the way I want them to be.

My question is regarding iTunes. On my old pc iTunes had 2 iPhones and an iPad synced to it and I know that when I connect them to iTunes on my mac I'm going to get the "this device is linked to another iTunes library" window.
The thing is l can access my iTunes folder on my old hard drive via an adapter cable I bought. Obviously using the migration assistant is out of the question but is there anyway I could drag anything of use from old folder to new folder that would help?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

You can just copy your iTunes folder over to your Mac.

ericexpo

So i'm having muilt monitor issues, when i have powerpoint up on my macbook it's really small and off screen on expose. I can't drag it back to the screen it just stays in expose. When i plug it in my monitor at home i can move it, but i soon as i unplug it goes back to off screen. But i had to plug my macbook into a projector over the weekend and same problem again with powerpoint being off screen.

Top Bottom