• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Maggot9

Banned
I'm on Snow Leopard right now. If I use Time Machine to go back to a time whe nI had 10.5, will it safely downgrade my OS from SL?

Or, how do I actually downgrade/uninstall SL if there is a certified way to do it?

Jasoco

Banned
No. I wouldn't try it. Also, I wouldn't go back to Leopard for a million dollars. Snow Leopard is much better.

What is not working for you on SL?

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
No. I wouldn't try it. Also, I wouldn't go back to Leopard for a million dollars. Snow Leopard is much better.

I would think it would work. Or at the very least, reinstall the OS, and restore from backup - I think you can choose a date.

But unless it's super critical, I say try and work forward through the issue, not backwards.

Maggot9

Banned
Jasoco said:

My school gives out programs to students in media courses, we tried to install Pro Tools 8/Avid on our computers and all TWO people in my class with SL didn't get the programs because the install messed up. Everyone else still on 10.5 got a clean install.

Jasoco

Banned
Maggot9 said:
My school gives out programs to students in media courses, we tried to install Pro Tools 8/Avid on our computers and all TWO people in my class with SL didn't get the programs because the install messed up. Everyone else still on 10.5 got a clean install.
Looks like support is coming soon:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=48&langid=100&itemid=38671

For now, you can always reinstall Leopard. Make sure the Time Machine backup has all the user files in it, then reinstall 10.5. Either try to just install over 10.6 with Archive and Install. If that doesn't work, then try the erase option as long as all the user stuff is backed up. Once it's reinstalled, restore files from the backup. I don't trust Time Machine for restoring more than a few files at a time so I keep full clones of all my files AND a Time Machine for version control.

Maggot9

Banned
Jasoco said:
Looks like support is coming soon:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=48&langid=100&itemid=38671

For now, you can always reinstall Leopard. Make sure the Time Machine backup has all the user files in it, then reinstall 10.5. Either try to just install over 10.6 with Archive and Install. If that doesn't work, then try the erase option as long as all the user stuff is backed up. Once it's reinstalled, restore files from the backup. I don't trust Time Machine for restoring more than a few files at a time so I keep full clones of all my files AND a Time Machine for version control.
Instead of restoring my whole computer from a previous Time Machine backup, I'm going to select all of my important files (school stuff, Documents, etc) and drag the folders to the backup HDD, and then after I erase my drive/reinstall 10.5, drag all of the files back to my computer and organize them. Would you recommend that?

My last backup prior to Snow Leopard was Aug 15. I'd rather just wipe everything (while keeping important stuff) and start fresh.

mrkgoo

Maggot9 said:
Instead of restoring my whole computer from a previous Time Machine backup, I'm going to select all of my important files (school stuff, Documents, etc) and drag the folders to the backup HDD, and then after I erase my drive/reinstall 10.5, drag all of the files back to my computer and organize them. Would you recommend that?

My last backup prior to Snow Leopard was Aug 15. I'd rather just wipe everything (while keeping important stuff) and start fresh.

I don't see the need in doing all that, if you're not trying to trouble shoot a serious issue.

Migration assistant (atleast in Leopard) gives several options for setting up a new Mac, including copying over the user directory, which is basically what you're after.

Maggot9

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I don't see the need in doing all that, if you're not trying to trouble shoot a serious issue.

Migration assistant (atleast in Leopard) gives several options for setting up a new Mac, including copying over the user directory, which is basically what you're after.
I have to download that myself or is it an option once you boot from the install disc?

mrkgoo

Maggot9 said:
I have to download that myself or is it an option once you boot from the install disc?
On new macs (and I guess new installs), when you are starting up, it asks if you want to start as new user, transfer from an old mac, or restore from Time Machine. Not sure if it's different in SL, but if you choose from another Mac, it hen gives you option such as, transfer apps, settings and user files, or a combination.

When I bought my most recent Mac last year, I had it do my user files and settings, and I got my network settings and user folder copied over, and just had to reinstall some apps. I probably would've gone with apps too, but I was wanting to start afresh with my janky iLife installation (and I was moving to Leopard from TIger, so I had no Time MAchine backup).

It's just an App. I just checked - it's still in SL - got to Applications -> Utilities -> Migration Assistant, you can run it now to preview what it can do.

dxolc5.png

mrkgoo

Is there anything you're particularly trying to clear by downgrading? What is so pressing that you need to mess with all of this? Again, I suggest moving forwards, if possible, rather than backwards.

I'm not sure if some SL preferences will carry over and be all weird in Leopard. Guessing it should be ok, though.

It's just that you'll lose a bunch of stuff trying to reinstall, such as iLife (though you should be el to put it back). It's a hassle to try and find everything again.

Maggot9

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Is there anything you're particularly trying to clear by downgrading? What is so pressing that you need to mess with all of this? Again, I suggest moving forwards, if possible, rather than backwards.

I'm not sure if some SL preferences will carry over and be all weird in Leopard. Guessing it should be ok, though.

It's just that you'll lose a bunch of stuff trying to reinstall, such as iLife (though you should be el to put it back). It's a hassle to try and find everything again.
My school programs don't seem to run on SL. I need my school programs now. :p

I'll try Migration Assistant!

Alucrid

Banned
So I'm sitting here on my Mac, with only my mac. Is there any way to run Steam in OSX? I know you can do bootcamp but I need that space for certain programs and don't have the means to allocate more space to the partition. Anyone?

grkazan12

quick question how can i improve my logitech usb mouse in mac os x because when i move it it's fine but when i try to close a window the cursor and speed becomes really slow

Pctx

Banned
So----

With SL out now, and the exchange add-on w/ the mail program, exactly how easy is it to have Mac's and Windows XP clients out in the environment?

What I'm looking at doing---- is getting a Mac Mini for myself and use XP either in Parallels or Fusion for domain tasks or maybe i'll just use RDC to our domain servers, but again, I'm wondering how much of a mess I'm asking for.

Any pointers on this would be great as I'm about to start doing a buttload of reading on this subject.

Thanks guys.

Alucrid said:
So I'm sitting here on my Mac, with only my mac. Is there any way to run Steam in OSX? I know you can do bootcamp but I need that space for certain programs and don't have the means to allocate more space to the partition. Anyone?
Aside from a partiion, I'm afraid there is no way to run Steam on OS X. =[ I think, not 100% sure, you can run Boot Camp from an external drive. You could try that.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Since I have iTunes running in a different Space, using Quicksilver/Growl, is there a way I can have a now playing bubble pop up? I'd like to know the track name without having to swap to a different Space.

flippeh

Alucrid said:

You can run Steam in a Windows VM with Fusion and enable hardware acceleration. Unfortunately it won't perform as fast or have very good compatibility compared to just booting into a bootcamped Windows.

I know most of the source based games run ok in it, barring some graphical glitches.

Alucrid said:

Try VirtualBox from Sun. It's completely free, and it won't hurt you to try it. It'll allow you to set the amount of ram and even individual threads towards Windows emulation.

PS: VirtualBox kicks the everloving shit out of all the other x86 emulators like VMware other than Wine, plus did I mention it's FREE?

flippeh

Dragona Akehi said:
Try VirtualBox from Sun. It's completely free, and it won't hurt you to try it. It'll allow you to set the amount of ram and even individual threads towards Windows emulation.

PS: VirtualBox kicks the everloving shit out of all the other x86 emulators like VMware other than Wine, plus did I mention it's FREE?

It doesn't do hardware GPU acceleration though.

Mar

Pctx said:
So----

With SL out now, and the exchange add-on w/ the mail program, exactly how easy is it to have Mac's and Windows XP clients out in the environment?

What I'm looking at doing---- is getting a Mac Mini for myself and use XP either in Parallels or Fusion for domain tasks or maybe i'll just use RDC to our domain servers, but again, I'm wondering how much of a mess I'm asking for.

Any pointers on this would be great as I'm about to start doing a buttload of reading on this subject.

Thanks guys.

Works pretty well as far as I'm concerned. I work in IT Operations with another dude who's also on Mac, the rest of our IT department are Windows. We maintain our unix / linux / Windows / Mac / novell servers and clients just fine and with the new Exchange integration it's much easier. Before, me being a linux desktop user previously, I had to rely on my iPhone for Exchange.

But then it all depends on what you need to do. We RDC into our Windows servers to do various admin tasks on those, and have some terminal services boxes available for silly Windows clients that won't work under linux or Macs. So as long as you have a Windows box somewhere with admin access (all of ours are virtual), you should be all set to rock and roll.

From my perspective, with being a unix and linux server admin by majority, using a Mac is a dream. I have more functionality and flexibility than I did using linux. The fact that Mac is all unix underneath with an incredible GUI means I have the functionality I need to work with all systems as well as a hassle free point and click environment.

Kimosabae

Banned
I have a browser question:

You guys know how IE has the ability to display thumbnails of websites in tabs, right? Does anyone know if Safari is in any way cable of doing the same thing (or Firefox or any other good browser)? I really like that, as it makes it easier to watch videos while browsing websites.

-Kye

Alucrid

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

flippeh said:
You can run Steam in a Windows VM with Fusion and enable hardware acceleration. Unfortunately it won't perform as fast or have very good compatibility compared to just booting into a bootcamped Windows.

I know most of the source based games run ok in it, barring some graphical glitches.

Thanks for the answers, but it looks like I'll now have to get my desktop since my external hard drive just died with all my music/videos copied from my desktop. :lol

Jasoco

Banned
grkazan12 said:
quick question how can i improve my logitech usb mouse in mac os x because when i move it it's fine but when i try to close a window the cursor and speed becomes really slow
Use the Logitech's tracking speed. OS X's default mouse speed is horrible. I try to use a mouse on an OS X Mac without a Logitech driver and it is impossible to move just a few pixels just to click a tiny close button. But with my MX1000 and mouse tracking speed set to the setting between 1 and 4 (2.5 I guess) and it is fast enough for me to not have any problems clicking what I want to click first try. Though the window controls in OS X are still way too fucking small. WAY TOO FUCKING SMALL. I want them to get theming tools out already so I can make those goddamned targets bigger already.

grkazan12

alright whenever I try to play a .avi file in Quicktime X it tells The movie can’t be opened. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file. How do I add codecs to quicktime x or is it just not supported at the moment.

mrkgoo

grkazan12 said:
alright whenever I try to play a .avi file in Quicktime X it tells The movie can’t be opened. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file. How do I add codecs to quicktime x or is it just not supported at the moment.

What codec does it use? Divx? Xvid? Try Perian - not sure if this works on Quicktime X or not, however.

Jasoco

Banned
Can someone help me? Google is not being smart and understanding what I am asking.

I need to know how to compress all the files in a specified folder into a ZIP file from the Terminal. And the resulting ZIP file must have the folder structure preserved.

I tried ZIP from the Terminal but I can't figure out how to compress with it. I need to compress the files.

(It's for a Shell script I am writing. So it needs to be from the Terminal.)

Say the folder has about a dozen files and folders. I want to put them all into a ZIP the same way it would work if I were to select the files in the Finder and select "Compress ?? items" from the menu.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Can someone help me? Google is not being smart and understanding what I am asking.

I need to know how to compress all the files in a specified folder into a ZIP file from the Terminal. And the resulting ZIP file must have the folder structure preserved.

I tried ZIP from the Terminal but I can't figure out how to compress with it. I need to compress the files.

(It's for a Shell script I am writing. So it needs to be from the Terminal.)

Say the folder has about a dozen files and folders. I want to put them all into a ZIP the same way it would work if I were to select the files in the Finder and select "Compress ?? items" from the menu.

What about zip doesn't work?

In Unix, type "man zip" (as in manual), and it will give you a help on the command "Zip".

Sounds like you need the -r for recursive (But I don't know much about unix, so proceed with other advice).

Code:
          -r
       --recurse-paths
              Travel the directory structure recursively; for example:

zip -r foo.zip foo

or more concisely

zip -r foo foo

In  this case, all the files and directories in foo are saved in a
              zip archive named foo.zip, including  files  with  names  starting
              with  ".",  since the recursion does not use the shell's file-name
              substitution mechanism.  If you wish to include  only  a  specific
              subset  of  the files in directory foo and its subdirectories, use
              the -i option to specify the pattern of files to be included.  You
              should  not  use  -r  with  the name ".*", since that matches ".."
              which will attempt to zip up the parent  directory  (probably  not
              what was intended).

Multiple source directories are allowed as in

zip -r foo foo1 foo2

which first zips up foo1 and then foo2, going down each directory.

Note that while wildcards  to  -r  are  typically  resolved  while
              recursing  down directories in the file system, any -R, -x, and -i
              wildcards are applied  to  internal  archive  pathnames  once  the
              directories are scanned.  To have wildcards apply to files in sub-
              directories when recursing on Unix and similar systems  where  the
              shell  does  wildcard substitution, either escape all wildcards or
              put all arguments with wildcards in quotes.  This lets zip see the
              wildcards  and  match  files  in  subdirectories  using them as it
              recurses.

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
What about zip doesn't work?

In Unix, type "man zip" (as in manual), and it will give you a help on the command "Zip".

Sounds like you need the -r for recursive (But I don't know much about unix, so proceed with other advice).
That didn't work right at all.

Code:
zip -r a.zip /Users/Me/Documents/FolderWithFiles/*.*
Gave me a ZIP file that included the Users, Me, Documents, and other folders along the path inside it. How do I get it to START AT THE "FolderWithFiles" and place all the files in that folder at the base root of the ZIP file?

I need it to work exactly like it would if I selected the files in the Finder. The -r flag didn't do this. :(

I need it for a program that uses archives (Zip files) with a different extension as its file format for running. But it only works if the files it is looking for are at the root of the archive.

Surely there must be a flag to do this! It works this way in the Finder!

Edit: Looks like this works as long as I CD to the directory first...
Code:
zip -r foo *

One new question now. How do I place two commands in the Terminal onto one line? There's a separator I can use, but I don't know what it is.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
That didn't work right at all.

Code:
zip -r a.zip /Users/Me/Documents/FolderWithFiles/*.*
Gave me a ZIP file that included the Users, Me, Documents, and other folders along the path inside it. How do I get it to START AT THE "FolderWithFiles" and place all the files in that folder at the base root of the ZIP file?

I need it to work exactly like it would if I selected the files in the Finder. The -r flag didn't do this. :(

I need it for a program that uses archives (Zip files) with a different extension as its file format for running. But it only works if the files it is looking for are at the root of the archive.

Surely there must be a flag to do this! It works this way in the Finder!

Again, I'm not familiar with too muxh Unix stuff.

Could you just change to that directory and issue the command there and then come back out?

edit: just reading through the help. a -J grabs all the files, but ignores the directory structure (including the ones inside the target directory).

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. Seems that works. But now I need to figure out how to put two commands onto one line so they both run one after another, but in order. There's a separator I can use but I forget what it is.

zip -r foo *

Works as long as I CD to the directory first. But I need to CD to it on the same line right before running that. How? It doesn't seem to work when I do this:

Code:
cd /Users/Me/Documents/FolderWithFiles/ | zip -r foo *
Instead it freaks out and tries to ZIP the entire HD.

Alternatively I need to know how to make a Shell Script that would do all this. Then run it with Automator.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Yeah. Seems that works. But now I need to figure out how to put two commands onto one line so they both run one after another, but in order. There's a separator I can use but I forget what it is.

zip -r foo *

Works as long as I CD to the directory first. But I need to CD to it on the same line right before running that. How? It doesn't seem to work when I do this:

Code:

Alternatively I need to know how to make a Shell Script that would do all this. Then run it with Automator.

It mentions something about the zip command being powerful with the find.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, Zip is now working fine, as long as I am in the right directory first. But I can't get it to CD to the directory first.

Any time I try to CD to the folder the files are located in, then try to ZIP from it, it thinks it's currently in the root / and tries to zip my entire HD.

So frustrating!

How do I create a Shell Script with all these commands in it?
It has to do the following in order:
Compress all files and folders in a specific folder into a ZIP file
Rename the ZIP file
Copy it to another folder (Which is on another server)
Delete the ZIP file that was created

All of these work except the Compress one. So I've been manually compressing them in the Finder. And for some reason, Automator won't let me put all the commands into a multi-line "run shell script" action like you'd think. It fails if I try to do the last three actions at once.

Since it's an Automator action, for some reason trying to use the Finder's specific "Get folder contents" and passing them to "Create Archive" doesn't work either. And for some reason the "Get folder contents" won't let me select folders and files to pass. Only files. Ugh! I hate doing things over and over manually!

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Well, Zip is now working fine, as long as I am in the right directory first. But I can't get it to CD to the directory first.

Any time I try to CD to the folder the files are located in, then try to ZIP from it, it thinks it's currently in the root / and tries to zip my entire HD.

So frustrating!

How do I create a Shell Script with all these commands in it?
It has to do the following in order:
Compress all files and folders in a specific folder into a ZIP file
Rename the ZIP file
Copy it to another folder (Which is on another server)
Delete the ZIP file that was created

All of these work except the Compress one. So I've been manually compressing them in the Finder. And for some reason, Automator won't let me put all the commands into a multi-line "run shell script" action like you'd think. It fails if I try to do the last three actions at once.

Since it's an Automator action, for some reason trying to use the Finder's specific "Get folder contents" and passing them to "Create Archive" doesn't work either.

What are you trying to do exactly? Can you not just use automator to make a script and run that? Or do you specifically need a shell script for something else?

TO be honest, I'm not a computer person, so I haven't the foggiest idea.

Jasoco

Banned
Automator's "Get folder contents" action does not seem to allow selecting folders as well as files as a variable to pass. Only files. Which is useless.

Fake edit: Okay, that part's fixed. But now it won't let me choose the folder I want to choose just because it's a package. (A folder with an extension that allows it to be opened by an app) Why the fuck does the Finder treat Packages like third class citizens? It doesn't remember their settings if you have them open. It won't let you browse them directly. I can't even choose it as a folder.

*sigh*

I'm just going to stick to manual zipping for now.

Fucking Finder. PACKAGES ARE FOLDERS TOO!

Real edit: I solved it for now by making the working folder with all the files not a package anymore. Which just makes it no longer treated as a double-clickable file to the program that opens it. But with the method I am using it is no longer needed as much. I have adapted to the quirkiness of the Finder's awful treatment of packages.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Automator's "Get folder contents" action does not seem to allow selecting folders as well as files as a variable to pass. Only files. Which is useless.

Fake edit: Okay, that part's fixed. But now it won't let me choose the folder I want to choose just because it's a package. (A folder with an extension that allows it to be opened by an app) Why the fuck does the Finder treat Packages like third class citizens? It doesn't remember their settings if you have them open. It won't let you browse them directly. I can't even choose it as a folder.

*sigh*

I'm just going to stick to manual zipping for now.

Fucking Finder. PACKAGES ARE FOLDERS TOO!

It does work with folders, I just did it.

Use get specified finder items. Not folder contents. Does specified finder items also include packages? Or is that what you mean?

Jasoco

Banned
The "folder" that contained the files I wanted to ZIP has an extension causing it to be seen as a file to the Finder.

The Finder has a shitty treatment of packages.

If you open a Package to view its contents, it will not be remembered between reboots. And it will not remember the packages specific folder settings. It treats a package like a temporary client completely forgetting anything and everything about it. And if you try to browse a package in an Open dialog, you cannot. Because it feels like that's a file. This makes people who have to work with packages very frustrated that it can't remember any settings at all.

Probably because it doesn't create .DS_Store files in packages, which sucks. Why not? A package is just a folder! There's probably a reason, but I can't see it.

Basically, when Automator asked for a folder and the files to select, it would not let me specify the package as the folder to select files in, even if I dragged it to the Open dialog directly.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
The "folder" that contained the files I wanted to ZIP has an extension causing it to be seen as a file to the Finder.

The Finder has a shitty treatment of packages.

If you open a Package to view its contents, it will not be remembered between reboots. And it will not remember the packages specific folder settings. It treats a package like a temporary client completely forgetting anything and everything about it. And if you try to browse a package in an Open dialog, you cannot. Because it feels like that's a file. This makes people who have to work with packages very frustrated that it can't remember any settings at all.

Probably because it doesn't create .DS_Store files in packages, which sucks. Why not? A package is just a folder! There's probably a reason, but I can't see it.

Basically, when Automator asked for a folder and the files to select, it would not let me specify the package as the folder to select files in, even if I dragged it to the Open dialog directly.

I'm aware of the packages difference, I was just wondering why you can't add a package into the automator workflow - don't get it to look for folders - get it to look for items. But not sure if that lets you do what you want. I can archive folders this way anyway. And packages can be at least added to the action.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't want to add the package. I wanted to add the contents of the package. But OS X's Open dialog refuses to treat that root folder as a folder. It's OS X's Open dialog causing the problem.

Blackhead

Redarse
giga said:
Install the developer tools and run FileMerge.
Thanks worked perfectly.

Yeah holding option to get mini controller in iTunes is very annoying. I'm going to try one of those 'iTunes lite' apps, bowtie or ecoute…

grkazan12 said:
Get Windows Media Player, or VLC. They both play AVIs pretty damn well. I also suggest you change the default program to open AVI files when you get either one of them. It should help to keep Quicktime from opening it from now on.

Also, I installed Vista on Boot Camp. Man, that's fuckin' awesome. I'm tempted to never own a PC again. =O

CTLance

Jasoco said:
Code:
Small wonder, that. What you are using is called a pipe. It routes the output of the first command into the input of the second command.

For example, this:

echo "Hello"

outputs the string Hello.

echo "wc counts the amount of lines, words, and characters in its input" | wc

Will use wc (wordcount) on the string instead of showing it.

What you probably want to do is:

cd /Users/Me/Documents/FolderWithFiles/ ; zip -r foo *

This will change into the directory and then it will execute the zip command in that exact sequence.

man bash said:
A list is a sequence of one or more pipelines separated by one of the
operators ;, &, &&, or ||, and optionally terminated by one of ;, &, or
<newline>.

Of these list operators, && and || have equal precedence, followed by ;
and &, which have equal precedence.

A sequence of one or more newlines may appear in a list instead of a
semicolon to delimit commands.

If a command is terminated by the control operator &, the shell exe-
cutes the command in the background in a subshell. The shell does not
wait for the command to finish, and the return status is 0. Commands
separated by a ; are executed sequentially; the shell waits for each
command to terminate in turn. The return status is the exit status of
the last command executed.

The control operators && and || denote AND lists and OR lists, respec-
tively. An AND list has the form

command1 && command2

command2 is executed if, and only if, command1 returns an exit status
of zero.

An OR list has the form

command1 || command2

command2 is executed if and only if command1 returns a non-zero exit
status. The return status of AND and OR lists is the exit status of
the last command executed in the list.
Glossary: An exit status of zero means that the program or command ran without encountering any errors. The program will return a non-zero value if there was an error or in many other occasions (it depends on the program itself).

Tieno

OS X Pro-tip: When you go into Spaces mode (where you see all the spaces), then do the Expose key/gesture/corner you see all the windows while in Space mode you can quickly and very easily organize all your windows by dragging them to different spaces. You can also do in reverse order (expose first, then spaces). So simple but very effective.

Just found this out by accident.

<3 OS X

Top Bottom