• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL 2005: Chalk Talk 2

DMczaf

http://sports.ign.com/articles/529/529451p1.html?fromint=1

New videos here

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/620/620934/vids_1.html

If you've played Madden enough in the past, or played against top competition, you've probably noticed that you can make a great catch with the "click-on click-off" method. This entails the user throwing a pass, taking control of the receiver, positioning him in the right place, and then giving up control of that receiver to the computer. The computer would then jump and make the catch. Of course, you could do this manually, but it was much harder. In Madden 2005, if you try the "click-on click-off" method (on All-Madden difficulty, of course), then not only will he never make the catch, but he'll look stupid missing it. If the receiver is open, it'll just hit him in the back or helmet. If there's coverage, odds are it'll be picked off.

Mike Martz and Madden
No, they're not lovers, we're talking about the Rams' offensive style. If you've watched them play, you'll notice that they change their formations a lot during games. Now, you can do the same in Madden. You can strengthen a side of the line before a run by changing from a regular I-form to a big I-form with two tight ends. When you change your formation on a passing play, the routes stay the same, but the players move. For example, if you take a play from shotgun normal and formation shift to the shotgun two-back, then the player from the slot wide receiver position becomes the fullback. If he is running a post on the original play, then the route actually becomes a halfback corner route. This can do a lot to confuse the defense, especially if they are in man coverage.

Last year, it was almost impossible to run a zone defense effectively. It was easy to run on zone plays, and it was even easier to exploit them with the streak route, or in the flats. This year, the defensive backs will bite on streak routes, and if they're supposed to be covering the flats, then they'll be covering the flats. The disadvantages to running zone defense in Madden are the same as they are in the NFL. A smart offensive player will flood a zone, putting more people in an area than the defense can handle. Also, receivers will settle down in a hole in the zone and stay there for an easy reception.

Thank you! Zone D was great against slow WR, but if I went against a team with one fast WR with the zone, I was fucked.

Madden 2005 gives you the option of turning man lock on or off. What this means is that when you are on D and running a man coverage, your defensive backs will not follow the wide receivers when they are sent in motion. This basically gives your opponent the illusion of zone defense when you're really running man. A lot of the time, this will scare your opponent, keeping them from throwing a quick button hook.

Since I started playing Madden 2005, I have only seen one pass interference penalty. This means that the referees will only throw flags on really blatant infractions. Big, strong wide receivers like Terrell Owens and physical corners like Troy Vincent and Lenny Walls really have been given the advantage as they can use their body to get position to catch a pass. They won't flag you if you bump your opponent a little bit, if you are trying to get position to catch a pass, that is.

:(

effzee

as anything as escruciating and painful as waiting for the whole nfl phenomenon to start? i mean training camp, pre season, madden, reg season, fantasy leagues...the playoffs!!! each day is soo long. i cant stand it anymore.

back on topic love this info. these new changes/upgrades are below the surface types that only hardcore players can pick up and enjoy and that what i love about them. it allows complete control. i especially love the disguising of man to man coverage defensive option.

Top Bottom