• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

antitrop

I can't possibly understand how the game has changed enough to where Jace is not broken as fuck.

No Upheaval/Psychatog might be a start, I guess.

Hero

Because brainfarts is why. Yea he's a nutter too.

Now red just needs their powerful 2-drop creature and the cycle will be complete*.

* Goblin Recruiter would fit in here if he was legal in Legacy.

Not restricted at all in any format and is only marginally played. It's a brave new world in MTG, power creep is pretty crazy. You want to draw cards? You got this motherfucker now:

Image.ashx

Yeah, FoF was amazing back in the day but I'm not sure how it would stack up today.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea J:TMS is banned in Modern and is completely ridiculous.

I can't possibly understand how the game has changed enough to where Jace is not broken as fuck.

Basically the easiest way to describe how magic has changed is that the power level between creatures and spells has inverted since you played. Back in your day creatures were terrible and spells were incredible, now the reverse is true.

For instance, most reasonable creatures these days have crazy enter the battlefield effects and some are even getting exit the battlefield effects. Then there is crazy shit like this:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Could you imagine creatures that nutty back in your day? Or hey how about an instant speed 5/5 trampler for 4 mana, no biggy.

Image.ashx

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who doesn't love Brainstorm?

Here's what you need to know about modern day magic:

1) Arbitrary mechanics are out, everything is flavor driven now.
2) Leave your spells at home, it's creature time all de time.
3) If you want to play combo, do it in Modern (the successor to Extended) or Legacy (T1.5)
4) Vintage (T1) is dead as a competitive format, Legacy is the next closest thing.
5) Decks no longer have inventive names, they are now referred to solely by their color combo and whether they're Aggro, Midrange or Control.
6) Draw-go is dead in Standard as is countermagic. It's all about sweeping/bouncing/lifegain now.
7) They fixed "Cannot be the target of spells or abilities", and then ruined it by giving it to blue.

antitrop

Basically the easiest way to describe how magic has changed is that the power level between creatures and spells has inverted since you played. Back in your day creatures were terrible and spells were incredible, now the reverse is true.

For instance, most reasonable creatures these days have crazy enter the battlefield effects and some are even getting exit the battlefield effects. Then there is crazy shit like this:

So they went what I guess you could describe as "Full Friday Night Magic"?

That was always the prediction back in the days of smokey card shops on Friday night, talking about how Wizards was surely going to make the game all about gigantic 11/11 monsters for like 5 mana and that Counterspell would cost 4UUU and drawing cards would be criminal. Basically catering towards middle school students that like to turn big numbered monsters sideways and less about creativity and skills and more about who gets their Wurm down first.

I know that's not the case now, just the cynical direction we always joked about the game going down. Mentioning that they've basically reversed the power of Creatures and Spells over the last 15 years reminded me of that.

OnPoint

I have no idea what the fuck a Planeswalker does, but I sort of get the idea (I'm familiar with term in MTG lore, though).

I bet $10 that card is restricted as fuck in Type 1 and it probably dominated all of Type 2 for the few months that it was legal?

I'm guessing it comes into play with 4 counters on it and you can remove 2 counters to "Fact"?

Oh God... run! Run while you still can! The game will suck you back in hard... HARD!!!

Haly

That was always the prediction back in the days of smokey card shops on Friday night, talking about how Wizards was surely going to make the game all about gigantic 11/11 monsters for like 5 mana and that Counterspell would cost 4UUU and drawing cards would be criminal. Basically catering towards middle school students that like to turn big numbered monsters sideways and less about creativity and skills and more about who gets their Wurm down first.

I know that's the case, just the cynical direction we always joked about the game going down. Mentioning that they've basically reversed the power of Creatures and Spells over the last 15 years reminded me of that.
11/11 is old hat.
Image.ashx

Regularly manages to hit the field in Modern.

Haly

Btw "Annihalator 6" means "When this creature attacks, defending player has to sacrifice 6 permanents".

Sinatar

I know that's not the case now, just the cynical direction we always joked about the game going down. Mentioning that they've basically reversed the power of Creatures and Spells over the last 15 years reminded me of that.

Whats funny is that it can be argued that the game has actually become more complex now. The decisions you have to make in each combat are far more detailed and the consequences of making even a single mistake are huge. It's a changed game, but not necessarily a worse one.

EDIT: LOL I love seeing peoples reactions to Emrakul.

antitrop

What's the broken combo to get that bad mama jamma out on turn 3?

Whats funny is that it can be argued that the game has actually become more complex now. The decisions you have to make in each combat are far more detailed and the consequences of making even a single mistake is huge. It's a changed game, but not necessarily a worse one.

I can completely understand how this is possible.

Haly

Take note that Emrakul and Jace the Mind Sculptor came from the same block.

Power creep peaked there, they've been steadily nerfing the entire game ever since.

Emitan

Take note that Emrakul and Jace the Mind Sculptor came from the same block.

Power creep peaked there, they've been steadily nerfing the entire game ever since.

Well good. That just seems crazy.

*says the person who played super casually like 5 years ago*

Sinatar

Yea it was a set that had a whole cycle of these crazy HP Lovecraft inspired elder god guys, they were all cray cray.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I have no idea what the fuck a Planeswalker does, but I sort of get the idea (I'm familiar with term in MTG lore, though).

I bet $10 that card is restricted as fuck in Type 1 and it probably dominated all of Type 2 for the few months that it was legal?

I'm guessing it comes into play with 4 counters on it and you can remove 2 counters to "Fact"?

Granted, like all planeswalker cards when they first get released, the price goes up to around 50 when they first come out (that Jace got to around 60 at the peak) and then deflate once they are proven to be not as good as Mind Sculptor. Even then, most good planeswalkers are going to go for 10-20 bucks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, they way they describe it they pushed to invert the power because having more relevent effects on the board and attatched to bodies increases the stratetic complexity of combat. Which...I think I'd agree with, to an extent

One piece of the puzzle you may be missing is that planeswalkers can be targeted with direct damage as though they were players, and they can be targets for creature attacks (in which case the player who controls the PW chooses how to block like normal)

Beepos

I'm not finding Voice of Resurgence as useful as I thought in my populate deck during standard. My mate's Scimic deck is taking them over easily with Scimic Manipulators and I'm not sure if Call of the Conclave would be a better 2 mana drop to get early tokens rocking.

Why have people always equated playing a counterspell to "letting loose with some serious mental powers"?

Not you, just a general attitude that I find among a lot of players that you're sort of referencing here.

I've been playing since '97, and one of my first decks was Forbidian, and I still think it's weird that playing Counterspell.dec is imagined as the MTG equivalent of going into astrophysics or something. I do have my theories as to why, and the general self-identification of MTG players with the color blue due to it being the color of "I'm a nerdy genius" (Jace was deliberately created as the "MTG player alter ego" out of the original 5; Rosewater mentions this on the Planeswalker edition of his podcast. That's also why he's always been made powerful and playable, including one stint as the stupidly OP Mind Sculptor.)

I've always maintained that Red was truly the "thinking man's" color. It takes skill and dedication to pilot the Mountains to the top spot, while all the highfalutin UW control players look down on you with their Japanese Jace's brought out with foil Unhinged Islands.

It's funny to see them pride themselves on how cerebral their playing supposedly is when sideboarding consideration boils down to siding in whatever red-hate cards they bothered to pack.

(Sorry, I'm still bitter over Kor Firewalker existing.)

OnPoint

I've always maintained that Red was truly the "thinking man's" color. It takes skill and dedication to pilot the Mountains to the top spot, while all the highfalutin UW control players look down on you with their Japanese Jace's brought out with foil Unhinged Islands.

It's funny to see them pride themselves on how cerebral their playing supposedly is when sideboarding consideration boils down to siding in whatever red-hate cards they bothered to pack.

(Sorry, I'm still bitter over Kor Firewalker existing.)

I was gonna say you'd never see that against blue. Then I remembered Skylasher. It's not quite as much as a house against blue as Firewalker is against red though.

Haly

The only time blue is truly cerebral is in Legacy, against blue. And it's pretty much Force of Will circle jerking.

"Do you have force?"
"No."
"I win."
"JK I had force."
"Welp back to square one."

Like, I can understand Blue's perception of being the color of high-thought and subtlety at a beginner's level, since Blue's style may not be as obvious to big & fast creatures. It just baffles me how that perception seems to carry over into high-level play, at least from my experience.

ultron87

I'd still rather see that than Thrun. Stupid Thrun. Though at least you can block him. Of course I say this as someone who wants to use a sweeper to get rid of such things.

Sinatar

IGN just spoiled a mythic from M14 in their video:

Archangel of Thune 3WW
3/4 Flying Lifelink
"Whenever you gain life put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
IGN just spoiled a mythic from M14 in their video:

Archangel of Thune 3WW
3/4 Flying Lifelink
"Whenever you gain life put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."

Hm, as mythics go not too splashy. Unless I am misreading it and you do add as many counters as you gain life.

Top Bottom