• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

I visited my family for Christmas and my brothers and I pulled out and dusted off the old magic cards (Arabian Nights through to Scourge). Made some bad decks and played some games. I had a lot of fun, something I lost the last couple years and led to me quitting the game.

I think I want to return, but I am not sure how. Playing standard killed me before, so obviously not going back there any time soon. The other contribution was the cost, my friends were all spending much more money on the game having jobs while I went to school so their decks were just much better. So I need to try and solve that issue too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gY758yY.png

?

Huh, maybe I was thinking of the other one?

Edit:
No, it just works differently on creatures and spells, which is dumb as all fuck.

Fou-Lu

Is there a good place to buy singles online in Canada? The exchange rate is painful.

Edit: Is modern more or less expensive to play in than standard right now? I like the thought of having a larger card pool to pick from.

I visited my family for Christmas and my brothers and I pulled out and dusted off the old magic cards (Arabian Nights through to Scourge). Made some bad decks and played some games. I had a lot of fun, something I lost the last couple years and led to me quitting the game.

I think I want to return, but I am not sure how. Playing standard killed me before, so obviously not going back there any time soon. The other contribution was the cost, my friends were all spending much more money on the game having jobs while I went to school so their decks were just much better. So I need to try and solve that issue too.

If you play casually, then you don't have to pay heed to formats like Standard. In any case, even if your playgroup prefers to stick to Standard, you could go for a less-used and cheap deck. If it's different from what they are playing, then it should still make for a fun experience.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there a good place to buy singles online in Canada? The exchange rate is painful.

Edit: Is modern more or less expensive to play in than standard right now? I like the thought of having a larger card pool to pick from.

(Prices are bottom right of each box)

Standard:

LH9frZS.png

Modern:

JGuWXoU.png

Jhriad

Face to Face Games is an online Canadian Magic retailer. I'm sure there are others and I have no clue as to how F2F would compare to other CA retailers (or even some US based retailers like Card Kingdom that offer decent shipping to CA) since I'm not Canadian but that's the one retailer I know of off hand.

Standard is on the expensive side right now because of the mana base (Fetch lands) that are currently in Standard. Over time, even if you spend a bit more for a Modern deck you're likely to save money as you don't have to deal with rotation and as such you're not having to make changes to your deck very often (if at all). Modern cards also hold their value better so you're more likely to be able to get more of your initial investment back if you decide to sell out of your cards. Prices of Modern decks can range pretty widely, especially if you're willing to start with a more budget oriented framework, but if you're okay with playing a single deck for the long term Modern is probably the better value proposition.

Angry Grimace

Completely epic double-punt to lose to a lame mono red deck in Cube.

I fucked up Ponder so I wasn't able to put Toxic Deluge on top (because I clicked it first instead of two lands because MTGO never lets you confirm anything you want to confirm), and the first game I just messed up and traded with a Goblin Guide which wouldn't let me use Oath of Druids.

Firemind

LOL Oath of Druids

As for me, tonight went swimmingly. Went 3-0 with mono red and now I'm in the final with U/B reanimate/control.

Edit: Aaaaaand my opponent got DQ'd.

Wulfric

$1,870.00 USD.

One thousand eight-hundred seventy U.S. dollars.

Issen happyaku nanajuu dora.

高いですよね?

For real though, prices like that are precisely why I haven't gotten into competitive modern. And the allure of standard has worn off now that I've been playing for a while (since BNG prerelease). Now it's strictly commander, prerelease, and draft for me.

Fou-Lu

Thanks for the replies guys. Top tier decks have always been expensive but they look much higher than I remember. Oh well, time to flex my Johnny muscles and make something weird instead. I think most of my friends have switched over to playing modern, so I'll just use the legal sets as a guide and go for it.

Commander has always sounded like fun but I have never been able to get anyone interested. I do love going to prereleases so I will probably start doing so again.

Thanks for the replies guys. Top tier decks have always been expensive but they look much higher than I remember. Oh well, time to flex my Johnny muscles and make something weird instead. I think most of my friends have switched over to playing modern, so I'll just use the legal sets as a guide and go for it.

Commander has always sounded like fun but I have never been able to get anyone interested. I do love going to prereleases so I will probably start doing so again.

Standard is more expensive than usual right now because of the fetchlands, which will rotate out in April. As for the prices in Modern, this is also mainly due to the lands, and you could conceivably reduce your overall cost over multiple decks if you use the same lands.

Commander is awesome. We have healthy Commander groups that plays few times a week in the few card shops around here (Singapore).

Standard is more expensive than Modern in the long run. Once you get the land base locked down in Modern, it doesn't "rotate" and doesn't require you to plonk down cash for the next rotation.

Angry Grimace

How MODO works:

Opponent: *casts spell*
Game: 3 abilities trigger, game prompts player to put on stack
Opponent: *stares at screen with gormless expression for 90 seconds*

http://www.facetofacegames.com/

http://www.kanatacg.com/

http://www.cbagames.com/

These are the sites I use. Wizard's Tower (Kanata) gives free shipping if you spend like 15 bucks but unfortunately usually has the lowest stock on staple cards. I find CBA has the best prices (usually, it can really vary). Face to Face has the most selection by far.

Angry Grimace

LOL Oath of Druids

As for me, tonight went swimmingly. Went 3-0 with mono red and now I'm in the final with U/B reanimate/control.

Edit: Aaaaaand my opponent got DQ'd.

It was a really fun splash.

2-0 currently with MONO WHITE! More impressive considering I don't have Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, or basically anything removal. It's just dudes lol

Fucking MtGO, dear god.

Opponent is on the ropes. I can ping him to death in two turns thanks to my removal suite in hand.

Opponent casts Ulamog.

I cast Ruinous Path, targetting Ulamog. [The game log confirms this.]

Ulamog does not die.

MoveableObject

Neo Member
Fucking MtGO, dear god.

Opponent is on the ropes. I can ping him to death in two turns thanks to my removal suite in hand.

Opponent casts Ulamog.

I cast Ruinous Path, targetting Ulamog. [The game log confirms this.]

Ulamog does not die.

I mean, both Ulamogs are indestructible, so maybe not the right time to blame MTGO.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the gotcha here was.

Angry Grimace

Dat feel when you draft the Vintage cube and the only cards you see all draft that aren't in the Legacy cube are some signets...

I went 2-1 with nothing but unrestricted white guys and a Jitte I never actually equipped on anything

Wulfric

We should be getting a clash pack for this set if the pattern holds, right? Wizards has been knocking those higher level precon decks out the park. Too bad there aren't any money rares from BFZ to throw in there. The most expensive rares are the tango lands at $4 a piece.

The have a mechanic called support? Goddammit. I'm getting sick of renaming my custom mechanics.

Great minds think alike, ya know. :p

I went 2-1 with nothing but unrestricted white guys and a Jitte I never actually equipped on anything

Meanwhile my opponent just gets T4 Twin combo in back to back games and my UG Upheaval megaramp deck just derps. I'm having a horribly shitty run at this cube and it's honestly pissing me off at this point. This is supposed to be the cube where you get to do broken stuff; the best cards I've seen in three drafts are Sol Ring, Mind Twist, and D-tutor. And I'm losing to shitty players too; my four-match losing streak has cost me 60 points of rating. I just haven't seen any of the good cards in the cube and I keep losing to them.

I just Hoofed for 22 damage on my T4; my opponent just casually Pestermite'd an attacker and slammed Splinter Twin the following turn. It's been that kind of run.

I'm having a horribly shitty run at this cube and it's honestly pissing me off at this point..

I think I did 4 or 5 Vintage Cube drafts, and I'm not sure I won a game. I was fucking furious.

This card seems incredibly complicated for a common.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure I agree that it's extremely complicated. Would "If W was spent to cast this, gain 4 life" be better? Or is it Support (now named Boost!) ability?

I think I did 4 or 5 Vintage Cube drafts, and I'm not sure I won a game. I was fucking furious.

And my R3 opponent dropped, so I don't even get a chance to play the other 0-2 (I lost R1 to a much better deck and a really bad matchup). I guess I get free pity points, but man...

Historically I've actually been very good at MTGO cubes; this is just a bad run of variance and I'm sure I'll snap out of it, but it's infuriating to lose four straight matches of "I win if they don't have [card]; oh, they do have it, I guess I lose."

The have a mechanic called support? Goddammit. I'm getting sick of renaming my custom mechanics.

I was reviewing my GDS2 submission recently
from which like three of the four mechanics have been printed in the years since, grumble grumble
and noticed that one of my mechanics was called Awaken. :(

We should be getting a clash pack for this set if the pattern holds, right?

All the announcements have omitted the clash pack so I'm pretty sure that idea is dead dead dead.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure I agree that it's extremely complicated. Would "If W was spent to cast this, gain 4 life" be better? Or is it Support (now named Boost!) ability?

Either the unnamed gold/hybrid mechanic with spending white mana or the Support ability could go on a common, just not both at the same time.

Re: that first mechanic, is it intentional that someone can pay WWG for that spell and gain 4 life? Because that feels a bit wonky.

Either the unnamed gold/hybrid mechanic with spending white mana or the Support ability could go on a common, just not both at the same time.

Re: that first mechanic, is it intentional that someone can pay WWG for that spell and gain 4 life? Because that feels a bit wonky.

As far as spending WWG and getting 4 life, that's a feature, not a bug. It's something that popped up playtesting my first set and its 'typecharged' mechanic (like sunburst but for monocolored) that is on some twobrid cards.

Honestly, poking at my set for several months, I'm starting to want to back away from 'multicolor with twobrid' theme that's meant as an evolution of my first set's 'monocolor with twobrid' theme. The amount of text box space that I'm eating up trying to communicate a card's 'multicolorness' has pushed me into several corners.

noquarter

How do you get four life for casting that? Thought hybrid mana like that was W or 2 generic mana. Can you really cost it for WWG when the spell is just WG? Maybe make it so that it is G G/2 with the bonus or just make it 2 life. That seems really clunky.

Edit: Guess you can since you choose what half to pay first then pay the costs on hybrid mana. Card still seems clunky, but it is your set.

Wulfric

All the announcements have omitted the clash pack so I'm pretty sure that idea is dead dead dead.

Hmm, how curious. There seems to be no shortage of people buying or recommending the recent clash packs/event decks at my LGS, and preorders ought to have gone live by now. Canceling the product line after only three releases seems a tad premature.

Yeef

Hmm, how curious. There seems to be no shortage of people buying or recommending the recent clash packs/event decks at my LGS, and preorders ought to have gone live by now. Canceling the product line after only three releases seems a tad premature.
Clash Packs and event decks are no more.

How do you get four life for casting that? Thought hybrid mana like that was W or 2 generic mana. Can you really cost it for WWG when the spell is just WG? Maybe make it so that it is G G/2 with the bonus or just make it 2 life. That seems really clunky.

Edit: Guess you can since you choose what half to pay first then pay the costs on hybrid mana. Card still seems clunky, but it is your set.

Well, the multiple unsolicited negative critiques clearly tell me it should change, which is a good thing in my kind. I'm committed to making the best set I'm capable of.

Drafted my buddy's custom set with friends a couple times tonight. He had Mill as a keyword which I'm sure would make people happy. And a combat ability called Millstrike lol

Some of the cards were a bit busted though. 4 mana sorcery that puts all the werewolves into play from your deck, 3-mana time walk, 3-mana 3/3 that draws your opponent 10 cards lol

Also a sinkhole for RR. At common.

All in all we had a bunch of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom