• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Making a Murderer' subject Steven Avery denied new trial

Dalek

'Making a Murderer' subject Steven Avery denied new trial

tv_making_a_murderer.jpg
"Making a Murderer" subject Steven Avery has been denied a new trial for the murder of Teresa Halbach after a judge ruled there was not sufficient evidence to warrant one.

Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Judge Angela Sutkiewicz issued the ruling Tuesday, saying, "The defendant has failed to establish any grounds that would trigger the right to a new trial in the interests of justice," according to ABC affiliate WBAY.

The judge also stated that "no further consideration will be given to this issue."

But Avery's attorney, Kathleen Zellner, said he's not giving up.

"We are filing an amended petition because we have additional test results and witness affidavits. The scientific testing is not completed. We remain optimistic that Mr. Avery's conviction will be vacated," Zellner said in a statement to WBAY.

Avery and his nephew Brendan Dassey were each convicted of first-degree intentional homicide during separate jury trials in 2007. Prosecutors said the duo raped and murdered Halbach, a freelance photographer, on the Avery family's salvage yard in Mishicot, Wisconsin.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/steven-avery-denied-new-trial-in-making-a-murderer-case/

MADISON, Wis. — A Wisconsin man convicted in the killing of a woman that was the focus of the hit Netflix series ”Making a Murderer" was denied a request for a new trial Tuesday.

Steven Avery's attorney said she planned to present new evidence to the court to try and revive his request after it was rejected by a state circuit judge. Avery had argued that his conviction in the 2005 death of photographer Teresa Halbach was based on planted evidence and false testimony.

”We have additional test results and witness affidavits," Avery's attorney Kathleen Zellner said in a statement. ”The scientific testing is not completed, we remain optimistic that Mr. Avery's conviction will be vacated."

Sheboygan County Circuit Judge Angela Sutkiewicz said in her ruling that based on the evidence presented so far, Avery failed to establish grounds to warrant a new trial. Avery argued that new scientific tests cast doubt on evidence submitted at his trial, presented alternate theories about the killing and questioned motives of police.

Given the totality of evidence submitted at the trial, no reasonable probability exists that a different result would be reached at a new trial, the judge said.

Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel praised the decision, saying it ”brings us one step closer to providing justice to Teresa Halbach's family." He said the Department of Justice would continue to vigorously defend Avery's conviction.

Avery, 55, was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of first-degree intentional homicide in the 2005 death of Halbach, a 25-year-old photographer.

Bakercat

Sadness and anger hearing about this. The man at least deserves a new trial. Bullshit all around this case.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I didn't watch the documentary, but read the wikis, which are surprisingly sparse with details. Usually it's full of detailed timelines and all. If neither he or the younger guy were involved, how is the evidence explained? I understand there are issues about the judgement, but I'm wondering more about what actually happened.

Which evidence are you referring to?

The burned car on his property I guess, and remains nearby? Like I said the wiki is very sparse.

Dalek

So I didn't watch the documentary, but read the wikis, which are surprisingly sparse with details. Usually it's full of detailed timelines and all. If neither he or the younger guy were involved, how is the evidence explained?

Which evidence are you referring to? There was no blood of the victim found in either Avery's house (where the prosecution claimed he killed her the first time) nor in his garage (where they claimed he killed her again).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Tapioca

Banned
He burned a cat alive so I do not care what happens to him.

If you are willing to burn a cat alive, you are willing to do it to other living creatures, including humans.

He is a psychopath. Do. Not. Care.

If you are willing to burn a cat alive, you are willing to do it to other living creatures, including humans.

Besides. The. Point.

His trial was a complete and utter sham.

Avery has clearly never been "all there" but he is still deserving of due process and a fair trial.

DTU

Banned

Burning a cat alive = unlawful incarceration for life? He didn't get sentenced for burning a cat, you know.

Link

The Autumn Wind

I pray you have no part in our justice system.

I agree he is a POS but if he didn't do it (I think he did) then the real killer is walking free and a real innocent (Brendon Dassey) is sitting behind bars

Arkeband

Banned

You don't care that the documentary basically laid out how the police manipulated evidence and a mentally retarded child in order to lock him up after already putting the man through court for another crime he didn't commit? Or rather, you "Do. Not. Care."?

I hope you're joking. This guy and his nephew got fucked so badly, especially his nephew.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I agree he is a POS but if he didn't do it (I think he did) then the real killer is walking free and a real innocent (Brendon Dassey) is sitting behind bars
Brendon was released.

EDIT - Reading into it, I guess he wasn’t? I though I read he was.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think Avery is 100% guilty, but sadly the cops and prosecution literally had to go and mess up a good case by doing all the horrible shit they did. So he should be allowed a retrial. His nephew on the other hand is probably innocent.

You are the fucking problem with our justice system and shit like this enables them to keep up with the systemic injustice done to minorities as well.

wachie

The very definition of bias.

I'm all for no cruelty against any animal but that's just jumping to conclusions.

Polari

Eh, the series didn't convince on balance of any probable innocence.

- Teresa's last known meeting was with him
- Her car was found in his salvage yard
- A key to her vehicle was found in his bedroom
- Bloodstains in the car matched him
- Her remains were found in his fire pit

If he didn't murder her, who did? It seems pretty far fetched to suggest the Sherriff's Department murdered Teresa, just so they could frame him up for it. You might suggest he didn't do a very good job covering the crime up, but he clearly isn't the sharpest crayon in the box to begin with.

robochimp

I think Avery is 100% guilty, but sadly the cops and prosecution literally had to go and mess up a good case by doing all the horrible shit they did. So he should be allowed a retrial. His nephew on the other hand is probably innocent.

Calling it a good case is a stretch. What prosecutors said happened doesn't make sense, where did he the shooting happen?

If he didn't murder her, who did? It seems pretty far fetched to suggest the Sherriff's Department murdered Teresa, just so they could frame him up for it.

No one is saying the Sherrif's department killed her. The argument is that she was murdered and the Sherrif's department manipulated the evidence to fit Steven Avery as the murderer.

Dalek

If he didn't murder her, who did? It seems pretty far fetched to suggest the Sherriff's Department murdered Teresa, just so they could frame him up for it.

That’s not how a trial works. You’re thinking of it completely backwards.

Hazmat

I think he killed her, but there's no way it happened like the prosecution said it did. He's human garbage, but he deserves a new trial.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I don't think anyone argues that he didn't kill her. He totally did. But the cops might have tampered with evidence, and had big conflicts of interest, which makes the whole trial a sham sadly. They decided to steamroll him because of a past case of which, he actually was innocent of.

Calling it a good case is a stretch. What prosecutors said happened doesn't make sense, where did he the shooting happen?

Oh the prosecution's story was garbage sure, but he still most likely did it.

If he didn't murder her, who did? It seems pretty far fetched to suggest the Sherriff's Department murdered Teresa, just so they could frame him up for it. You might suggest he didn't do a very good job covering the crime up, but he clearly isn't the sharpest crayon in the box to begin with.

Did you even watch the show? I thought the first set of investegators never found a key in his house until that sleazy cop from the other county decided to come and all of a sudden they "found" a key

Boogs31

Based on watching the show, I'm pretty sure at least 3 of your bullet points were probable framing by the police.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

you can read the lawyer's motion here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387805 + https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...6.07+-+Motion+for+Post-Conviction+Relief2.pdf

Says the ex-bf (featured in the show) did it

Polari

I don't think anyone argues that he didn't kill her. He totally did. But the cops might have tampered with evidence, and had big conflicts of interest, which makes the whole trial a sham sadly. They decided to steamroll him because of a past case of which, he actually was innocent of.

Yeah, there was definite flaws in the process. I guess the question the judge weighs up is whether they impact the credibility of the case enough to justify a new trial.

Dalek

Did you even watch the show? I thought the first set of investegators never found a key in his house until that sleazy cop from the other county decided to come and all of a sudden they "found" a key

His room was searched by police 5 times.

Then the guy from another county walks in the room when no one is looking and says “hey look what I found!”

netflix-key-5.jpg

Tapioca

Banned
Burning a cat alive = unlawful incarceration for life? He didn't get sentenced for burning a cat, you know.

I think anyone who burns a cat alive should be in prison for life. They are a danger to all animals and humans.

The documentary was extremely one sided anyway. There is a ton of evidence that the documentary left out that sure makes it look like he did it.

People watch a documentary and then think they are an expert on the case...... um.. sure you all are.

I hope you all didn't watch "Loose Change".

robochimp

Then the guy from another county walks in the room when no one is looking and says “hey look what I found!”

netflix-key-5.jpg

It wasn't just a guy from another county, it was deputy Lenk of the Manitowoc Sherrif's department who wasn't supposed to be there.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
He did that shit anyway.

Sure, but the trial was a complete sham with a lot of evidence tempering, and police and prosecution fuckery. I mean a frame job doesn't get that more obvious. They really wanted to make sure they nailed him for this, and thus...well they destroyed actual justice. That's why there needs to be a retrial.

robochimp

I think anyone who burns a cat alive should be in prison for life. They are a danger to all animals and humans.

The documentary was extremely one sided anyway. There is a ton of evidence that the documentary left out that sure makes it look like he did it.

People watch a documentary and then think they are an expert on the case...... um.. sure you all are.

That's not true, most of that so called list of evidence is covered in the documentary, the source on most of those lists in Ken Kratz.

DTU

Banned

That's a fine opinion, but that's not of what he was convicted. I really hope you never serve on a jury.

netflix-key-5.jpg

Exactly. This shit head found a magical key in plain sight when nobody else found in the numerous times it was searched before.

norm9

Exactly. This shit head found a magical key in plain sight when nobody else found in the numerous times it was searched before.

Happened to me once. But I'm no evidence planting detective.

Eta- this reminds me of recent Baltimore case where a gun magically appears.

Amory

Yes, but everyone deserves a fair trial and a fair investigation

Sure, but the trial was a complete sham with a lot of evidence tempering, and police and prosecution fuckery. I mean a frame job doesn't get that more obvious. They really wanted to make sure they nailed him for this, and thus...well they destroyed actual justice. That's why there needs to be a retrial.
I agree, 100%. But at the very least we arent talking about someone who's an innocent man.

And anyway, the last time he got let out for being railroaded he murdered someone.

Sucks he got railroaded again but who wants to find out what he'll do next?

Murder

Jesus christ.

Oh look its another condescending know it all who believes the sexual predator of a prosecutor Ken Kratz. That man is despicable.

Brendon was released.

EDIT - Reading into it, I guess he wasn't? I though I read he was.

Brendon is never gonna get out despite the obviously coerced confession. They used the bs confession to convict Avery despite none of the evidence actually connecting to the confession.

Dalek

This mentality says you’re fine letting a man who committed Crime A go to prison for Crime B-which means there’s an actual murderer still on the loose.

Top Bottom