• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man marries robot he made, plans to upgrade her later with the ability to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

With his mother, friends and coworkers looking on, Zheng Jiajia was married last week to a beautiful bride that he made himself.

CbTbNbJUUAEyRui.jpg

This farce should not be eligible for tax benefits of being coupled (if such a thing exists in China). Should be considered single for census purposes.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I get the jokes, but if it makes him happy then what's the issue?

I don't know the person, but I doubt you can be completely mentally sound and marry a nonthinking thing.

There's a fine line between support and enabling.

Or should we be inclusive and supportive of people that like being heroin addicts?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Combine it with the manufacturing capacities of China ans I can't wait for the mass produced 2Bs for everyone.
If that happens, that would be the end of humanity due to low birth rates and we all know it.

Add the male equivalent of 2B and we'll be well and truly fucked.

I don't know the person, but I doubt you can be completely mentally sound and marry a nonthinking thing.

There's a fine line between support and enabling.

Or should we be inclusive and supportive of people that like being heroin addicts?

You sound like a real robophobe.

Let the man live his life how he wants, he's not harming anyone like a heroin addict.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
If that happens, that would be the end of humanity due to low birth rates and we all know it.

So? Last I heard we had the opposite problem.

I don't get the opposition. To put it frankly, there are a lot of people who are lonely/sexually frustrated. A lot of those people are also undesirable for a wide range of reasons. Some of those people have and will take out their frustrations on the rest of the populace.

We can't round these people up and render them down for resources, at least not yet. In the meantime, there's very little in the way of support; frankly, a lot of people don't care about them. I sincerely believe companion/sex robots would alleviate a lot of tension that is stored up.

Creepy

Every now and then I'm reminded that there are people out there stranger than myself.
I may be fucked in the head but I've never married a robot.

Why would he want to give it intelligence anyway?
It's just going to divorce him...

JC Lately

Add the male equivalent of 2B and we'll be well and truly fucked.

I've often joked that science boils down to a race between men trying to create a perfect sex-bot to not have to deal with women, and women perfecting procreation without sperm to not have to deal have with men. But perhaps that was naive of me. No reason we can't all have sexbots. Humanity had a good run. Let's go out doing what we love: fiercely performing acts of self-gratification without ever once considering the consequences.

I've often joked that science boils down to a race between men trying to create a perfect sex-bot to not have to deal with women, and women perfecting procreation without sperm to not have to deal have with men. But perhaps that was naive ilof me. No reason we can't all have sexbots. Humanity had a good run. Let's go out doing what we love: fiercely performing acts of self-gratification without ever once considering the consequences.

sex bots will never be enough and eventually we iterate them to be so real that they refuse to have sex with us disgusting lesser being lmao

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So? Last I heard we had the opposite problem.

I don't get the opposition. To put it frankly, there are a lot of people who are lonely/sexually frustrated. A lot of those people are also undesirable for a wide range of reasons. Some of those people have and will take out their frustrations on the rest of the populace.

We can't round these people up and render them down for resources, at least not yet. In the meantime, there's very little in the way of support; frankly, a lot of people don't care about them. I sincerely believe companion/sex robots would alleviate a lot of tension that is stored up.
You're right in that it will help some people relieve tension in a way that doesn't harm others. I also think that these robots will happen sooner or later, because technology will inevitablly advance to the point where lifelike robots are possible and affordable.

The downside that I see is that these robots becoming too popular could cause the same social problems as, say, someone getting way too into anime. It shelters people into a safe space that, while beneficial and helpful in some ways, can also nurture and enable a lot of ideals that are harmful when dealing with other people in real life. Why treat women like normal people when you have a pretty wifebot at home who obeys everything you tell her to do, has no desires or opinions of her own, and will never talk back to you? That's the sort of thing that worries me. It already happens to an extent with the internet as it currently is, but popularizing robot companions can easily make this problem worse since it's a kind of escapism that has a lot of potential for abuse.

I've often joked that science boils down to a race between men trying to create a perfect sex-bot to not have to deal with women, and women perfecting procreation without sperm to not have to deal have with men. But perhaps that was naive of me. No reason we can't all have sexbots. Humanity had a good run. Let's go out doing what we love: fiercely performing acts of self-gratification without ever once considering the consequences.
I've joked about this with my wife too lol. Robots for everyone!

We can't round these people up and render them down for resources, at least not yet.
Dude, what the fuck?

PSqueak

Banned
How do you get consent from the robot to get married? She can't even run away from the guy.

People in here are concerned about the guy's right to make and marry a robot, but over here we have the actual real, important hypothetical issue for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom