• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man shoots bald eagle for hunting on his property, then runs it over with an ATV

What a patriot...

A Virginia man faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine after he pleaded guilty to killing a bald eagle today, first by shooting the bird of prey and then running it over with an all-terrain vehicle, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement.

The Justice Department said the 62-year-old Smithfield resident Allen H. Thacker shot the eagle, according to a statement of facts filed with his plea agreement, because "he was upset it had been hunting and taking fish from a pond located on his property."

A witness driving near Mill Swamp Road in Smithfield on March 13 reported that she saw an individual appear to run over a bald eagle with a red ATV, according to the statement of facts filed in the Eastern District of Virginia. The witness said she saw the individual drive in a circle and run over the eagle at least three to four times before he dragged it into the woods.

During an investigation, police officers from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries learned that Thacker owned and was driving a red ATV that day, according to court documents. Thacker admitted to shooting and killing the bald eagle and led the officers to the location where he dragged the eagle.

Thacker told police that he felt the need to protect his property from the eagle since it had been killing small game and taking fish from the pond, the court documents state.

He also told police that he tried to scare the eagle off with warning shot, but it did not leave. He admitted to investigators to first using a .22 caliber rifle to shoot the eagle and then using a pistol to "finish the eagle off," but denied running it over with the ATV, according to the statement of facts.

In an interview with agents from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service several days after the eagle was killed, Thacker expressed that "too much emphasis is placed on bald eagle protection because the birds are a menace," court documents state. The USFWS seized the firearms used to kill the eagle.

After a necropsy was performed on the eagle, officers determined that the adult male eagle was in good nutritional condition and found remnants from a .22 caliber projectile inside of it, according to the statement of facts. The medical examiner speculated that the gunshot wounds would not have been immediately fatal to the eagle and determined that the immediate cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head resulting in a fractured skull and associated hemorrhage.

More disgusting, abhorrent details here:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/virginia-...-shooting-231404001--abc-news-topstories.html

BigDug13

Bald eagles were removed from the endangered species list 10 years ago, so I'm curious what law he broke?

Not saying what he did was right by any means, just curious why police are involved when the animal is not endangered. Can we not kill wild animals on our property at all?

Edit - Oh he didn't kill it with the gun, he used the ATV. That's probably considered animal torture.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Perfect metaphor fo-fuck.

Onemic

Bald eagles were removed from the endangered species list 10 years ago, so I'm curious what law he broke?

Not saying what he did was right by any means, just curious why police are involved when the animal is not endangered. Can we not kill wild animals on our property at all?

It's a national animal I'm guessing

I remember driving down the road in my old neighborhood and in the road was a friggin massive sized bird.

Freaking HUGE wingspan... then I saw the white head.

Never knew they lived in VA till then.

JCHandsom

flHLMbA.gif

grimmiq

They're not endangered anymore, but still a protected species.

Edit - Oh he didn't kill it with the gun, he used the ATV. That's probably considered animal torture.

Wrong on both counts. He broke the law.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/MidwestBird/EaglePermits/bagepa.html

BigDug13

So he's only in trouble because someone decided that this animal should be protected over others because of national symbol reasons. That's kind of shitty.

I don't think he understands what a menace means. If they were a menace they would not be endangered.

Your info is old. They haven't been endangered for 10 years now. They thriving pretty well.

Not 100%, but I think they are still protected under the 1940 Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

There are actually 3 laws he violated: https://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/protect/laws.html

Plus maybe animal cruelty.

*Splinter

Here in the UK farmers are allowed to kill foxes (and presumably birds) to protect their livestock. On the surface this seems like a similar situation but I would guess Bald Eagles are a protected species? I wouldn't know how people deal with protected species, but I assume there is a legal route that this guy ignored.

Of course this a Bald Eagle in the US, so this story gets a whole weird jingoistic spin.

(And yes I've glossed over the part where he ran over the bird. If that's true - and it seems to be - it's completely fucked up.)

Why would he lie about the ATV part but admit everything else?
Because that part is indefensible and he knows it.

btrboyev

It's the national bird and is protected by that reason alone.

BigDug13

Not 100%, but I think they are still protected under the 1940 Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

Crimes against nationalism is what he's guilty of then. If it was any other animal, no problemo.

But he did basically torture the animal by not killing it properly so there's that crime as well.

kswiston

So he's only in trouble because someone decided that this animal should be protected over others because of national symbol reasons. That's kind of shitty.

Your info is old. They haven't been endangered for 10 years now. They thriving pretty well.

Most bird species are protected under the migratory bird act. You can't kill them or destroy their nests without a permit.

Crimes against nationalism is what he's guilty of then. If it was any other animal, no problemo.

But he did basically torture the animal by not killing it properly so there's that crime as well.

You also can't kill migratory birds (including eagles) without a permit.

Migratory Bird act as well, so not 100% nationalism.

Interesting how so many go out of their way normally to decry wanting animal killing and cruelty, but the Bald Eagle is suddenly an exception?

Here in the UK farmers are allowed to kill foxes (and presumably birds) to protect their livestock. On the surface this seems like a similar situation but I would guess Bald Eagles are a protected species? I wouldn't know how people deal with protected species, but I assume there is a legal route that this guy ignored.

Key word there being livestock. As per the article, he was annoyed with the flying chicken because it had the nerve to kill game and fish in his property

Briarios

Actually, I have no problem with killing wild animals being illegal. We're in the middle of a great mass extinction and people can still only think of themselves.

zelas

Wasn't there a similar story with the past year where a farmer was having issues with eagles (or some other big bird of prey) harassing his livestock? IIRC there is a (lengthy) process to get a permit to kill those in your immediate area. This guy should have used his brain before immediately trying to solve a problem with a gun.

Wasn't there a similar story with the past year where a farmer was having issues with eagles (or some other big bird of prey) harassing his livestock? IIRC there is a (lengthy) process to get a permit to kill those in your immediate area. This guy should have used his brain before immediately trying to solve a problem with a gun.

What brain? The utter lack of common sense would lead you to believe he doesn't have one.

Top Bottom